<><> The "Official" DISNEY RECIPE Exchange! <><> 1850+ recipes!

I just make this recipe for dinner tonight. It turned out just about as good as it did at WDW. It's the Ripe Plantain Casserole with Avocado from the Dominican Republic.

I posted this one back on page 26 but am VERY glad to have someone else post of "Real Life" picture of the dish and confirm what I suspected about the recipe. The grass green plantains I had access to, were still green after 5days in a bag with a banana and I had to go ahead and make the recipe. My notes also say that this would taste great with super ripe plantans OR substitute yams. I'll be trying this again.

Actually, I did not follow a Disney recipe. heehee The market was mobbed (the weather man says an inch of snow and everyone runs to the market!) and so I just used what I had on hand. I made the grits and when almost done, added Montery Jack cheese, butter, a pinch of cayenne pepper and fresh cracked pepper. Next time, though, i will use a stronger cheese. And yes, I ended up using half milk, half water

Actually there is a Monterey Jack Cheese Grits recipe in "Cooking with Mickey and the Chefs of Walt Disney World" from the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Monterey Jack Cheese Grits
from Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club
2 T. butter
1/4 cup Finely chopped onion
1/4 cup Finely chopped scallions
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Water
3/4 cup Quick-cooking grits
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 t. Salt, or to taste
1/4 t. Freshly ground pepper, or to taste
1/2 cup Coarsely grated Monterey Jack Cheese
In a 3-qt saucepan, heat 1 T. of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and scallions and cook, stirring about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the broth and the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the grits in a slow and steady stream, whisking constantly.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for about 10 minutes, or until the grits are done. Stir in the cream and season with the salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cheese and remaining 1 T. butter. Serve hot.

Agree with all the comments on the excess butter and oil in the recipes. I use WW to control my weight and cringe when I think of all the points the fat is adding. I also cut back what they say or use less dressing or don't make the dish if I'm needing to lose some pounds.

Having said that, I made 3 recipes today and they weren't super low cal or anything. I made the Coconut Carrot Raisin Salad from Boma because I LOVED this salad at the buffet. I halved it and followed the recipe to the letter. It's very good BUT not 100% as I remember the dish. My advice (and what I'll do next time) is to use lemon juice or partly lemon juice/white vinegar instead of all vinegar. I'd also cut back on the ginger (I used ground fresh ginger though perhaps they meant powder?) because the fresh ginger and vinegar was a little sharp for the throat. I'd also make more dressing as carrots and coconut really absorb the liquid. I might even add some orange concentrate. Still love this salad but will try and get it closer to the what I ate at Boma.

Coconut Carrot Raisin Salad
from Boma, Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yield: 10 servings

2 pounds Carrots, shredded
1 pound Coconut
½ pound Brown Sugar
¾ pound Raisins
½ pound Ground Ginger
1 each Pineapple, whole grilled, peeled, and sliced

Dressing:
8 ounces Yogurt
¼ quart White Vinegar
½ T. Crushed Red Pepper
¼ cup Mint, chiffonade
1. Make the dressing and set aside.
2. Cook carrots and coconut with brown sugar until carrots are three fourths done and coated with caramelized sugar. Take off the heat, add raisins and ground ginger, and stir together. Let cool.
3. Grill sliced pineapple, and mix with coconut carrot mix and yogurt dressing.

Pork Loin With XO Sauce
from Nine Dragons Restaurant at Epcot (from Delicious Disney cookbook)
Yield: 4 servings

1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into thick slices (Orlando Sentinel version uses 8 ounces which is not enough for 4)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 whole green onion, diced, for garnish
Steamed rice for serving

Marinade:
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. dried chicken base
1 Tblsp each: Asian cooking wine, cornstarch and flour
1 egg
1 Tblsp sesame oil
White pepper to taste

XO Sauce
3 Tblsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. chicken boullion (Orlando Sentinel version uses 1/4 cup)
3 tsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. oyster sauce
*2 Tblsp XO Paste (seasoning paste sold in Asian grocery stores)
2 Tblsp oil
1 Tblsp chopped garlic
2 Tblsp Asian cooking wine
1 Tblsp chicken bouillion
1 Tblsp sugar
White pepper to taste
1 Tblsp sesame oil
2/3 cup of water to thin sauce, if needed

1. Mix all marinade ingredients together. Clean and pat the pork loin dry. Cut pork into 1/2" thick slices. Marinate the pork in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
2. Make XO Sauce and keep warm.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan. Sauté pork slices about 5 - 7" until golden brown. Plate pork slices in a stack on a serving plate. Pour XO sauce over pork slices.
4. Garnish with green onions. Serve with steamed rice and stir-fried green beans.

XO Sauce
1. In a small bowl, dissolve 3 Tbsp. cornstarch in the chicken broth. Set aside. (no way this can dissolve - so maybe use 1/4 cup as the Orlando Sent. version does)
2.In another small bowl, mix soy sauce, oyster sauce and XO paste. Set aside.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in saucepan. Add garlic and sautee until golden. Stir in XO suace from Step 2, then cooking wine.
4. Gradually stir in chicken bouillion, sugar, pepper to taste and sesame oil. Dissolve 3 tablespoons cornstarch in 1/4 cup chicken broth. Once mixture begins to bubble, stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken. (you may need to add water as the picture shows it being like a thick sauce texture - not a gravy texture)**Strain, set aside, keep warm.
** The Orlando Sentinel version leaves out the straining but the picture shows a very smooth sauce - not lumpy with garlic and corn starch. When I pressed the sauce through the sieve it was very thick and I added at least 2/3 water to thin it out and make it less salty.
* XO sauce is a spicy liquid used in Asian cookery to enhance stir-fried meat, seafood, tofu and vegetable dishes.

Review- I used a ready frozen stir fry mix to cut down on the prep time. My son and I really liked the taste of the pork and sauce taste but we like things on the salty side.

I also made the Rice Cream with Strawberry Sauce from Restaurant Akershus but will review it another time.

:headache: Ooops! Thanks, quiltymom! I will change it in the recipe index! :upsidedow

Sorry - I didn't know you had already noted it on the list! I thought that I'd help you out... Oh well. You're doing a great job with this thread! It is amazing. I just wish that I had more time to make some of this stuff every day.

I posted this one back on page 26 but am VERY glad to have someone else post of "Real Life" picture of the dish and confirm what I suspected about the recipe. The grass green plantains I had access to, were still green after 5days in a bag with a banana and I had to go ahead and make the recipe. My notes also say that this would taste great with super ripe plantans OR substitute yams. I'll be trying this again.

Humm -- didn't see that! If I did I wouldn't have posted the recipe again, just the notes.

I have no idea how to ripen plantains, either. I've also tried to wait for them to ripen faster in a brown bag, but with no luck. They are definitely hardy things! Anyone know how to make plantains ripen faster?

This weekend I tried out two of the recipes - the BLT soup from Sci Fi and the Chicken Asiago Pasta from the All Stars.

The soup was good, but nowhere near as good at Sci Fi. The recipe calls to use canned tomato basil soup, so I used Campbell's Select. It was just a bit too sweet for my taste, so next time I think I'll use just regular tomato soup.

The pasta was very good, but different from what I was expecting. I was assuming it was made with a creamy sauce, but it was instead olive oil with two cheeses melted over the pasta at the last step. It was still delicious, just not what I was expecting!

LOL. Same here, people even hear 'chance' of snow and the run to the food store as they are about to be barricaded in their homes for weeks.

I was thinking that I would prefer cheddar, Jack is pretty mild and we are big on cheese in our house.

Actually, I did not follow a Disney recipe. :rolleyes: heehee The market was mobbed (the weather man says an inch of snow and everyone runs to the market!) and so I just used what I had on hand. I made the grits and when almost done, added Montery Jack cheese, butter, a pinch of cayenne pepper and fresh cracked pepper. Next time, though, i will use a stronger cheese. And yes, I ended up using half milk, half water. :)

I have no idea how to ripen plantains, either. I've also tried to wait for them to ripen faster in a brown bag, but with no luck. They are definitely hardy things! Anyone know how to make plantains ripen faster?

Did you try putting an apple in the brown bag with the plantains? That usually works when trying to ripen other produce items.

Nope, I haven't tried that. In fact, I've never heard of that tip! Thanks!

I do that all the time with Avacados too. They are always hard as rocks at the store. If I waited for them to ripen on their own it would take a week.

I am sooooo thankful for this thread. My DH and I went to DisneyWorld in Dec of 2006 and I fell in love with this recipe at Kona. Of course since I am allergic to wheat the chef seared it with out the crust but the marinade was made with wheat free soy sauce. Anyway I made this dish last night for my sister and her husband (both of whom have never been to the World) and I used a wheat/gluten free All purpose flour to form a crust and it was to die for. Got rave reviews all around. :thumbsup2 :yay: I am saddened to know that it has been removed off the menu though. I wonder what I will try next.

Did you try putting an apple in the brown bag with the plantains? That usually works when trying to ripen other produce items.

I put a banana in the bag as the produce store suggested it. It didn't really work so I'll try an apple next time. I'd also never heard of adding apples so appreciate the tip. :thumbsup2

I am sooooo thankful for this thread. My DH and I went to DisneyWorld in Dec of 2006 and I fell in love with this recipe at Kona. Of course since I am allergic to wheat the chef seared it with out the crust but the marinade was made with wheat free soy sauce. Anyway I made this dish last night for my sister and her husband (both of whom have never been to the World) and I used a wheat/gluten free All purpose flour to form a crust and it was to die for. Got rave reviews all around. :thumbsup2 :yay: I am saddened to know that it has been removed off the menu though. I wonder what I will try next.

I appreciate the review on the recipe as one enver knows if they will actually turn out. This dish was still on the menu when I left on Jan. 13. Was it removed since then?

This weekend I tried out two of the recipes - the BLT soup from Sci Fi and the Chicken Asiago Pasta from the All Stars.

The soup was good, but nowhere near as good at Sci Fi. The recipe calls to use canned tomato basil soup, so I used Campbell's Select. It was just a bit too sweet for my taste, so next time I think I'll use just regular tomato soup.

The pasta was very good, but different from what I was expecting. I was assuming it was made with a creamy sauce, but it was instead olive oil with two cheeses melted over the pasta at the last step. It was still delicious, just not what I was expecting!

Thanks so much for the review. I cut and paste the comments and add them to the recipe so the reviews are very helpful. :hippie:

On the Menu as:
Duck Confit - with crispy prosciutto ham and **pomegranate molasses
Le Cellier, courtesy of Sous Chef Albert Riviello

Cool and store the duck in the fat. (The confit will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.)

NB: Strain and reserve the duck fat for later use. Keep it cool. In Jan. ‘08 this was served with crispy prosciutto ham and pomegranate molasses as an appetizer.

The Chef assumed that whoever requested the recipe knew how it was plated as this is not included in the instructions. I'm hoping someone who's had it can explain how it's plated and whether it's served shredded, hot or cold, etc.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

It was served whole and warm when I was at Epcot in October of 2007. The proscuitto and pomegranate mixture was sprinkled over the top of the duck. I think the duck leg was resting on a bed of mixed greens.

I'm not quite sure how to go from removing it from the oil to plating it the way it was served at the resturant. I remember the duck skin being crispy, but I can't quite imagine the skin being crispy from just simmering the leg.

I thinking that there must be some quick broiling done or something like that. Any one have any suggestions?

‘Ohana: Maui Scalloped Potatoes

1 pound Russet potatoes (washed and sliced)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a greased baking pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Let stand five minutes before serving.

I think I'm going to try making these this week since I just got a whole bunch of potatoes, and onions, and cheddar. I just need heavy cream.

Also, I found this recipe on a website.

Root Beer Sweet Potatoes
from Hollywood and Vine, Disney-MGM Studios

16 oz. Root Beer
4 oz. Early Times
1 oz Lemon Juice
dash Ground Cloves
1.5 oz Corn Starch (mix cornstarch w/water)
2 oz Water
3 oz Brown Sugar
1 oz Butter

Sweet Potatoes:
Peel and slice sweet potatoes. Bake in buttered pan 20-30 minutes until tender. Remove plate and pour sauce over sweet potatoes.

Sauce:
Bring all ingredients to boil except cornstarch and water. Add cornstarch and water at first boil. Let thicken. Remove and serve over sliced sweet potatoes.

Has anyone ever tried to make these? I'm thinking about making this with a roasted pork loin on Wednesday night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter