The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

Does anyone have any ideas about where I may find one or two Half Marathon After Party Tickets? I have a few extra people coming last minute and the tickets are sold out. The excitement is building up. My daughter is racing. I wish everyone the best for that day. Thankspixiedust:

If I plan on changing corrals, what is an acceptable form for proof of time from a recent race? I have the actual result page printed out with all the runners and my name highlighted, will that work?

Peace, Love, Mickey and Happy racing!

Thanks Coach! I don't drink milk but last night I had chocolate almond milk about 1/2 hour after my run and then about an hour after my run I had a veggie burger.

I'm thinking maybe I did not hydrate very well for the couple of days leading up to my long run???

Very possible.

On my way back to Houston for a couple nights. It's very weird. This is my third flight in 7 months; that compares with 2-3 trips a month in my previous position. But I found myself pulling into the rental car return ramp and not the parking ramp when I arrived. It will take many more flights before the automatic steering does not point me into the rental garage.

The other weird thing is that I have been an upper level elite member of one airline that will go nameless, United. About 18 months ago, they started taking applications for the TSA Precheck program. I was flying into airports as destinations where I could have taken advantage of the program, but since United was not a player, I had to watch with envy. Surprisingly, as I looked at my boarding pass I am pre-check. It works very very well. The normal Sunday afternoon security wait is 30 minutes or longer. I sailed through in 5 minutes and did not have to unpack computers, liquids or shoes. Crazy smooth - I wonder if I can get my old job back since I now have this perk?

At this point its mental. You are 4k away from the finish line and if you feel comfortable making that as a jump to the finish distance, then back off miles next weekend and rest up for the race.

I am sure I can make the distance. I felt I could go longer, was just too wet and cold. And I hadn't taken any fuel with me so didn't want to drain myself too much. I think I will see what the week brings, do a short run or two and maybe push for a longer run Thurs or Friday if I feel up to it. If not, I'm not going to worry about it. Also will see what DH does for time tonight, before I decide if I need another go on those muscles that are a little weaker than I'd like.

Loved my new Adizero Boston's!! Now to choose what to wear for the big night! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Now I can focus on the important parts of the race weekend... Like what to wear the day AFTER the race with my medal.... :) do we know what color the ribbon is?

Lol- I was thinking about this when I was running today!!! I need a plan of what to wear Sunday AND Monday, because I fully intend to wear my medal on the plane, too!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Lol- I was thinking about this when I was running today!!! I need a plan of what to wear Sunday AND Monday, because I fully intend to wear my medal on the plane, too! Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm pretty sure the ribbon is purple. I'm planning on wearing my race shirt AND medal on Sun.

Hi everyone! Love reading the thread as I'm in the same boat as many on here (first half marathon). I've tried keeping up but I must have missed this question so my apologies if this has been previously discussed. How long does it normally take to get a picture taken along the course with the characters? Is there any strategy to getting the pictures quicker or is this something I just shouldn't even worry about?

I ran/walked 13.11 miles last Saturday in 3 hours 9 minutes. I anticipate my adrenaline will decrease this time some but honestly don't know what to expect. I truly have no time goal as this is my first race and I really just want to have a blast running through the parks at night.

Thanks in advance and see you all soon!!!

Hello Disney runners! I've been reading these boards for years and thought I'd finally jump in with a post. :)

This upcoming Wine and Dine Half will be my first ever half marathon and I'm super excited about it. I'm actually a cyclist at heart, but I also enjoy running. I completed a 12-mile Tough Mudder last year, but that was more slogging through mud and obstacles than it was running. Since that time I've been cycling and running both, though over the past few weeks I've been focusing solely on running to keep my knees nice and fresh (I've had some recent bouts of runner's knee... kind of sore now actually).

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a great, safe run!

If I plan on changing corrals, what is an acceptable form for proof of time from a recent race? I have the actual result page printed out with all the runners and my name highlighted, will that work?

Peace, Love, Mickey and Happy racing!

I plan to do the same thing... as long as all of the required information is there (race name, date, finish time, etc) I would think that would work.

Hi everyone! Love reading the thread as I'm in the same boat as many on here (first half marathon). I've tried keeping up but I must have missed this question so my apologies if this has been previously discussed. How long does it normally take to get a picture taken along the course with the characters? Is there any strategy to getting the pictures quicker or is this something I just shouldn't even worry about?

I ran/walked 13.11 miles last Saturday in 3 hours 9 minutes. I anticipate my adrenaline will decrease this time some but honestly don't know what to expect. I truly have no time goal as this is my first race and I really just want to have a blast running through the parks at night.

Thanks in advance and see you all soon!!!

Just watch your time and have fun. Most take 1-3 minutes, some little longer.

Just finished 10.6 miles with an average 13:30 mpm interval pace. Would like to be faster, but dont think my stamina is going to change significantly over the next two weeks and with a serious lack in training these past 5 months because of work, I'm ok with the speed. Won't best my record of 2:29 at the Wine & Dine 2 years ago (I was in better shape then clearly), but I am still going to have fun! :-) Super excited and looking forward to the run! Hugs all.

- Carey

Quick question - I have been playing with compression sleeves and I wont run with them as it aggrevates shin pain, but wearing them after the run really seems to help. I have worn them to bed and thought that helped as well, but then heard that was maybe a bad idea. Thoughts?

One more thing: I will be ordering new running shoes tomorrow for fast delivery. Mine, sadly, really feel less supportive than before and its been a sudden and drastic change. I would prefer to run in my new shoes. Not a lot of time to break them though. Thoughts?

Geez one more thing: My right shin gets KT tape for previously mentioned shin pain during the run. Considering applying some on the right knee as well, which has shown some pain last two runs. I assume its ok to KT tape more than one area per leg. Thoughts?

Quick question - I have been playing with compression sleeves and I wont run with them as it aggrevates shin pain, but wearing them after the run really seems to help. I have worn them to bed and thought that helped as well, but then heard that was maybe a bad idea. Thoughts?

The thought behind wearing them on run is that they support the muscle and diminish the shocks of footfall. Sounds like the small tibial muscle is being shielded from that effect… or possibly the issue may be more than muscular. Regardless, wearing them post run helps keep warmth in the muscle, is thought to prevent pooling in the leg so waste is carried out better. I would agree that wearing them to bed is probably not a great idea. Once you are lying down, the need to help return blood up to the trunk goes away. To the extreme, wearing them to bed could cut blood flow to the legs through the night.

One more thing: I will be ordering new running shoes tomorrow for fast delivery. Mine, sadly, really feel less supportive than before and its been a sudden and drastic change. I would prefer to run in my new shoes. Not a lot of time to break them though. Thoughts?

If they are the same model a couple good 3-6 mile runs will assure that there are no issues. I have run 15 mile runs in a pair with zero miles in the past. If the model has changed (i.e. say you have been wearing Snazzy 11 but have now ordered Snazzy 12) I would try to get a longer run in next weekend. Often in an effort to make improvements, the manufacturers revise something that felt good to you – and now feel awkward or even bad.

Geez one more thing: My right shin gets KT tape for previously mentioned shin pain during the run. Considering applying some on the right knee as well, which has shown some pain last two runs. I assume its ok to KT tape more than one area per leg. Thoughts?

I have seen folks who look like they have been put through a wringer with both knees, hams, IT band, ankles and shins taped. My thoughts were how many rolls followed by why run at all? I personally think that it loses its effectiveness when you go that far, but a knee and shin would not be excessive.

Congrats Camcolt, Kristen, & Smiley on your runs today! We are sooo close now! :)

I did my last long run today...I ran a Half Marathon!!! 13.11m in 2:13:23...so excited about reaching my goal & it gives me confidence for W&D.

I planned on a dress rehearsal in my red running tank, sparkle skirt, & minnie ears/visor but it was 37 degrees here in south Jersey, so I went for the cold gear instead. ;). Knee held out good too-I'll probably wear the brace for W&D since it seems to offer good support.

Happy running y'all!

Sounds like everyone is getting their last long runs in :cool1:

For those who are running their first marathon (yes I know its a half marathon but trust me, folks who do not run will never hear the word half) play it easy the week before the race. Your goal is to make sure you are practicing what you trained and stay on on top of your hydration. Airplanes will zap hydration levels as will being out and about in the parks. Keep a bottled water with you and keep working on it.

On race night, it will be all too easy to push go and run way too fast in the first mile. Practice what you have trained in the last 5-8 hours coming into the race. As you come up to the line, take care and keep a buffer in front of you. Take a deep breath and smile. Watch you pace and enjoy the ride. One of the neat things about night running is that landmarks seem so much closer. You will not have the 'boredom' of seeing landmarks move by slowly. Hydrate as you trained and before long you will be a member of the club!

I road for 155 minutes on the cycle trainer this morning. Holy CR49! While there was little pounding I am feeling the effort since getting off the cycle. Glad that I am in with a doc this week. I am 90% certain that I am not running the race. The only way I would even think of it would be if I get a cortisone shot and it works well enough to get me on the road. Even then, the smart play may be one of running the 5k and reserving the effort for the January streak. Stand by for Pixie Dust on Thursday morning.

I hit 10.2 miles today! My back felt great! No tightening or anything. Did some stretches every three miles, and then did some planks at the end. Felt great!

11.29 done! I'm officially in taper! I got this!

I did it! I'm officially done w my long runs for this race. Got my 11 done in quite chilly weather but its done. Minor panic attack at mile 9.5 when hit w sudden knee ache but i stopped and stretched and rubbed and walked for a few minutes and it was good to go when i started up again! phew! I'm still not sure how "easy" 13.1 is going to be but I do know I will finish it (barring unforseen incidents).

Now I can focus on the important parts of the race weekend... Like what to wear the day AFTER the race with my medal.... :) do we know what color the ribbon is?

So exciting to see everyone (including me) are officially in taper mode!:banana: Got my last 10 miler in yesterday in PERFECT weather! :sunny: Had a couple of slight knee twinges, but nothing that slowed/stopped me. :thumbsup2 Had about 4-5 honey stingers an hour into it and was good to go for the rest of the time. Ran a negative split on the second half (NO idea where THAT burst of energy came from :confused3), and finished in 1:56. GPS said I averaged around 11:15/mile, so I think I'll be fine to shoot for that 9:45-10:15 pace. :cool1:

Found some great wine glass material yesterday for some cute hair ribbons. Don't think I'll need a dress run rehearsal for a tshirt and running tights, thankfully. And don't think I won't be sporting my "I did it!" shirt and bling Sunday and Monday! :lmao:

On my way back to Houston for a couple nights. It's very weird. This is my third flight in 7 months; that compares with 2-3 trips a month in my previous position. But I found myself pulling into the rental car return ramp and not the parking ramp when I arrived. It will take many more flights before the automatic steering does not point me into the rental garage.

The other weird thing is that I have been an upper level elite member of one airline that will go nameless, United. About 18 months ago, they started taking applications for the TSA Precheck program. I was flying into airports as destinations where I could have taken advantage of the program, but since United was not a player, I had to watch with envy. Surprisingly, as I looked at my boarding pass I am pre-check. It works very very well. The normal Sunday afternoon security wait is 30 minutes or longer. I sailed through in 5 minutes and did not have to unpack computers, liquids or shoes. Crazy smooth - I wonder if I can get my old job back since I now have this perk?

Just as long as it doesn't keep you from being "Coach"! :lmao: :rotfl:

I'm pretty sure the ribbon is purple. I'm planning on wearing my race shirt AND medal on Sun.

:cool1::thumbsup2

Hello Disney runners! I've been reading these boards for years and thought I'd finally jump in with a post. :)

This upcoming Wine and Dine Half will be my first ever half marathon and I'm super excited about it. I'm actually a cyclist at heart, but I also enjoy running. I completed a 12-mile Tough Mudder last year, but that was more slogging through mud and obstacles than it was running. Since that time I've been cycling and running both, though over the past few weeks I've been focusing solely on running to keep my knees nice and fresh (I've had some recent bouts of runner's knee... kind of sore now actually).

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a great, safe run!

:welcome: from all us running Disney Dorks! :banana::wave2:

And FYI....

10 days, 14 hours and 52 minutes (give or take!) party::jumping1:

Wow - I just looked at the results from my half marathon yesterday. My official splits - First half 1:18:58.1 Second half 1:18:49.2. Now that is what I call an even run. I'd really like to get under a 12min/mile pace for the Wine and Dine though. I was trying to run pretty easy to start and kept it that way.

So a few lessons learned from yesterday's race.
1) If a race is delayed by an hour - check your fuel plan. I ultimately ended up eating my prerace food too early since I had finished it before the delay. I could really tell this toward the end of the race and especially on the drive home.
2) Split a set of non-wireless headphones in with my phone just in case. There was either too much interference or the water from the non-stop rain was too much for it, but my wireless headphones were not giving me reliable single so I had to turn them off. This meant all my intervals were broadcast loudly from my phone. I'm sure that was annoying to people around me but I had to hear them.
3) I like the interval I was running. I started at 2-1/2 run and 1 walk. I think I will start there and then try to pick it up to 3-1 intervals either around between miles 7 and 9.
4) Bring a spare pair of socks in my drop bag along with a rain poncho or something. I didn't bring anything with me that would have been useful during the storm. I really hate wet feet. I don't think they would have stayed dry but it would have been nice to switch to dry socks before the race.

Question -
I have 2 times I could submit now for coral placement. My 10-mile race from Sept at 2:00:58 and my half marathon race from yesterday at 2:37:47. I think that the later is the better time to submit but I'm not 100% certain of that. Would you agree that the half marathon time is the one I want to submit?
Also the half marathon results are 62 pages long. Can I print just the first page and the page with my name and results on it? The first page gives the details like race name and date. The page with my name on it has the race name/year in the upper corner.

One last question that I thought of yesterday in our storm delayed race. Are there indoor places to evacuate to in case of a thunderstorm prerace?

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for some time now and decided it was time to post! I've really enjoyed all of the information and encouragement that everyone has provided.

I'm doing the W&D next week for the 2nd time. Last year was my first ever half and I finished in 3:16:50. Not a great time, but I was happy that I finished and wasn't even close to being swept. I'm running alone and am in corral J if anyone is looking for someone.

This year my training hasn't been going all that well. I was out of commission for a few weeks with a knee issue and I've been having some shin issues lately. I didn't do my long run this weekend, but did do a 5k averaging about a 14mm. I felt ok but didn't really feel good enough metally to do the long run. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing more.

I'm thinking I should try to do a long run tonight after work, but I'm not sure. I know I can go the distance, when I did 12.5 I felt good; slow, but good.

Anyway, I'm just starting to freak out a bit about not being able to finish, not getting a good time, etc. I'm trying to combat all the negative thoughts, but its tough sometimes.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for some time now and decided it was time to post! I've really enjoyed all of the information and encouragement that everyone has provided.

I'm doing the W&D next week for the 2nd time. Last year was my first ever half and I finished in 3:16:50. Not a great time, but I was happy that I finished and wasn't even close to being swept. I'm running alone and am in corral J if anyone is looking for someone.

This year my training hasn't been going all that well. I was out of commission for a few weeks with a knee issue and I've been having some shin issues lately. I didn't do my long run this weekend, but did do a 5k averaging about a 14mm. I felt ok but didn't really feel good enough metally to do the long run. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing more.

I'm thinking I should try to do a long run tonight after work, but I'm not sure. I know I can go the distance, when I did 12.5 I felt good; slow, but good.

Anyway, I'm just starting to freak out a bit about not being able to finish, not getting a good time, etc. I'm trying to combat all the negative thoughts, but its tough sometimes.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Jodi! Welcome! you will be ok. I was in a similar position to you last year. I had done my training up to 11 miles (you did 12.5, which is even better!) and then I ended up with some issues that kept me out of commission a little and THEN had shin issues right before the race and skipped my last run. If you can get a 9.5 or 10 miler in sometime before say, Wednesday, you should be good. No need to go to 11 or 12 at this point. If you can't, don't worry - you will be ok. You know you can go the distance since you were already only .6 miles away! :thumbsup2 It's tough mentally at this point, so close to the race. Even rational thought doesn't work sometimes. That's what this DISthread is here for - lots of encouragement. You will finish though! Try not to stress too much, remember this is supposed to be fun and I bet you that just being with all the other Disney-loving runners will make you smile at least once or twice throughout the race. :upsidedow

Hi everyone!

My DH and I completed our last long run. :banana::banana: it was 9.5mi (not nearly the 14) but DH wasn't in too much pain (he hadn't done a long run in over a month due to knee injury) and I didn't have to motivation to keep running without him. I am feeling pretty confident about this first half marathon, I just need to work to cooperate for me to get in my maintenance run from now until Disney - We leave in 9 days!!!!!:hourglass

Did I miss the decision about a meet up (I have been trying to follow the board somewhat faithfully)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter