• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

We're now official... We're registered for the Wine and Dine half marathon!

Soooo... My first half marathon! Or running event of any kind! I'm excited, and panicking. LOL!

Wow, your first run event is a half Mary, good for you, that's called jumpin all in :)

Nothing like a runDisney event to get you started.

zgirls said:
Wow, your first run event is a half Mary, good for you, that's called jumpin all in :)

That's what I did last year! Now I'm thinking... Tink, glass slipper, pink coast to coast... A whole lotta run Disney! :)

:cheer2: Glad to be a part of the half crazy club!!! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Now to find my shoes and start training:sad:

Thank you gang, glad to be here!

Well, it will be my first half marathon, but I've been training since January. I have a heart condition where I cycle through good times, then I cycle to bad times. I started a cycle of "bad times" last September and when I went to Disney in October, I was still in the midst of it. I was brokenhearted as the trip was a big struggle. I was having a hard time walking, I got tired easily... My low point was having to leave San Angel Inn during dinner because I was so sick. I remembered crying all the way from Mexico to Future World, then back to Pop. I was so disappointed that I was getting this sick.

Then I saw a bunch of my friends training for the Princess Half. I followed along and got completely bitten by the bug and started training in January. Running the Princess Half wasn't possible... It was sold out, I wasn't ready, etc etc etc. But I decided the race I'd train for is the Wine and Dine. I figured it gave me plenty of time and it let me do something I've always wanted to do... An after-hours tour of my favorite park. I'm devoted to EPCOT and considering that, it just seemed so perfect that EPCOT and Disney, the place where I had the lowest moment of pretty much my whole life, where I worried about how sick I was getting, worried I'd never get better, afraid that trips to Disney would be out of the picture permanently (I had a cardiac issue on the plane... And it was the worst flight of my life... I was truly nervous, to say the very least), to be the place where I overcome this huge obstacle. Plus... Food. I mean, really. The race sells itself. I'd always wanted to be a runner, and this just gave me my motivation.

Now, before people worry, the nature of my heart condition (tachycardic hypoxia) is one that, in theory, regular moderate, even vigorous exercise, will help me immensely. It helps my heart regulate itself, helps with oxygen flow, all sorts of stuff. But because I wasn't fit and because I never exercised, it was really, really, really hard to push past that wall of being too sick to do anything to being too sick to do anything and push through it. I've been watched by a doctor, I was evaluated before I started, I'm checked regularly since... So I'm doing this entirely safely. In fact, I've been free of my downswings since late January, about 4 weeks into my journey, and I've even been able to reduce my medications from twice-a-day to once-every-other-day with no ill effects. Exercise, a structured diet, and finding my stride in progressing in my runs, it's really changed me. I feel awesome! I've gone from walking from Mexico to the Pop bus stop and being winded, almost too tired to stand on my bad day, to running on my endurance training days, a constant 9 minutes without needing a break at a pace of a 12 minute mile. More importantly, doing 30/30 runs via Jeff Galloway's program, I'm able to run safely and comfortably 5 miles at a pace of 13 minutes, maintained, for the 5 miles! While pushing a stroller!

I've got a lot more training to do, and obviously, no landspeed records being broken by me, but for a girl who could barely walk this time last year to a girl who can run 5 miles... Night and day.

So... If anybody sees an Orange Bird on the running route, be sure to say hello! Because that Orange Bird overcame her lifelong heart condition to run... With the promise of food and Soarin when she's done... LoL!

Well, it will be my first half marathon, but I've been training since January. I have a heart condition where I cycle through good times, then I cycle to bad times. I started a cycle of "bad times" last September and when I went to Disney in October, I was still in the midst of it. I was brokenhearted as the trip was a big struggle. I was having a hard time walking, I got tired easily... My low point was having to leave San Angel Inn during dinner because I was so sick. I remembered crying all the way from Mexico to Future World, then back to Pop. I was so disappointed that I was getting this sick.

Then I saw a bunch of my friends training for the Princess Half. I followed along and got completely bitten by the bug and started training in January. Running the Princess Half wasn't possible... It was sold out, I wasn't ready, etc etc etc. But I decided the race I'd train for is the Wine and Dine. I figured it gave me plenty of time and it let me do something I've always wanted to do... An after-hours tour of my favorite park. I'm devoted to EPCOT and considering that, it just seemed so perfect that EPCOT and Disney, the place where I had the lowest moment of pretty much my whole life, where I worried about how sick I was getting, worried I'd never get better, afraid that trips to Disney would be out of the picture permanently (I had a cardiac issue on the plane... And it was the worst flight of my life... I was truly nervous, to say the very least), to be the place where I overcome this huge obstacle. Plus... Food. I mean, really. The race sells itself. I'd always wanted to be a runner, and this just gave me my motivation.

Now, before people worry, the nature of my heart condition (tachycardic hypoxia) is one that, in theory, regular moderate, even vigorous exercise, will help me immensely. It helps my heart regulate itself, helps with oxygen flow, all sorts of stuff. But because I wasn't fit and because I never exercised, it was really, really, really hard to push past that wall of being too sick to do anything to being too sick to do anything and push through it. I've been watched by a doctor, I was evaluated before I started, I'm checked regularly since... So I'm doing this entirely safely. In fact, I've been free of my downswings since late January, about 4 weeks into my journey, and I've even been able to reduce my medications from twice-a-day to once-every-other-day with no ill effects. Exercise, a structured diet, and finding my stride in progressing in my runs, it's really changed me. I feel awesome! I've gone from walking from Mexico to the Pop bus stop and being winded, almost too tired to stand on my bad day, to running on my endurance training days, a constant 9 minutes without needing a break at a pace of a 12 minute mile. More importantly, doing 30/30 runs via Jeff Galloway's program, I'm able to run safely and comfortably 5 miles at a pace of 13 minutes, maintained, for the 5 miles! While pushing a stroller!

I've got a lot more training to do, and obviously, no landspeed records being broken by me, but for a girl who could barely walk this time last year to a girl who can run 5 miles... Night and day.

So... If anybody sees an Orange Bird on the running route, be sure to say hello! Because that Orange Bird overcame her lifelong heart condition to run... With the promise of food and Soarin when she's done... LoL!

I will be watching for you - what an amazing story! And if I see you I will most definitely be giving you a high five!!! I think YOU will get ME through this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

OK - so I will be at Disney from Friday Nov 8th around 1pm until Monday morning (really early 6am type flight). This is a solo trip and I am leaving the kids and husband at home for the race.

On Friday night - which would you do - MVMCP (from 4-midnight) for $61.77 (AP Discount) or the Wine and Dine Pre Race Taste at Lights Motor Action from 6-8:30 for $85 (including tax)?

Well I think MVMCP will be more fun. But I have not done either.

I am running this race and it will be my first half marathon. Just started running regularly in January.

Tropical Wilds- you've done brilliantly. Such an inspiration :) feel very proud to be running along side some of you awesome WISHers!

What a wonderful story. I'm impressed and inspired. Hoping to see you on the race. Good luck in your training!!

Best of luck with your training, Tropical Wilds! Amazing that you have come so far and great to see your determination to train for this race.

What inspirational stories! :thumbsup2

I just pushed myself to 12 miles. Well I ran 7, walked 1, ran 3, and walked another. I dont feel 100% and I have some battle scars (chaffing, blister), but I'm not in too bad of shape, considering. ;)

Thanks team! I'm pretty pumped, and I hope I get to see some of you guys out on the road! We need to have a way to identify all of us, like the Lime Mickey's of days gone by.

Thanks team! I'm pretty pumped, and I hope I get to see some of you guys out on the road! We need to have a way to identify all of us, like the Lime Mickey's of days gone by.

Maybe we could use fabric paint to put little lime green Mickeys on the back of our shirts somewhere? Anyone have another idea?

Maybe we could use fabric paint to put little lime green Mickeys on the back of our shirts somewhere? Anyone have another idea?

I like that idea! I was thinking about putting my screen name on my shirt?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter