• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

I'm trying to get my mind set to run this race...see it would be perfect. It is on my 40th birthday. What better way to celebrate 40 by running a half AT Disney World? I'm a total couch potato right now, though, so I've got to get busy.

I see registration only moved up from 61% to 65% this week. I wonder if the WDW Marathon Weekend registration opening will draw some attention away for a while.

So excited for my first W&D! I signed up for this race in lieu of Marathon weekend in 2014. Then Disney goes and offers all sorts of new races... the restraint I am exercising as registration opens today is more challenging than the marathon itself! Dreaming of November...

I'm trying to get my mind set to run this race...see it would be perfect. It is on my 40th birthday. What better way to celebrate 40 by running a half AT Disney World? I'm a total couch potato right now, though, so I've got to get busy.

Come on over.... you actually have a very good half marathon and marathon in early December. Starts at the Mall (nonexistent when I attended) and moves up into Bryan then back along Welborne and through campus. Last year was doubly exciting as it was the day after the Heisman.

The Jeff Galloway training guide says to train for a temperature of 60 degrees F. Is that what the temperature was previous years?

Come on over.... you actually have a very good half marathon and marathon in early December. Starts at the Mall (nonexistent when I attended) and moves up into Bryan then back along Welborne and through campus. Last year was doubly exciting as it was the day after the Heisman.

Thanks for posting that Coach!! I didn't realize they had a marathon there!! Good reason to go back and visit again! The mall was there when we were, but unfortunately we weren't runners back then! When we visited the campus this summer, we saw so many places we would have enjoyed running there! We might just have to sign up for this one!!

The Jeff Galloway training guide says to train for a temperature of 60 degrees F. Is that what the temperature was previous years?

umm yeah i wouldnt go that, id traing for around 70 sure it could be lower but i wouldnt count on it the past few years its been as high as 85 and as low as 60... of course those are the highs for the day and this race is at night.

Sadly, i have to bail on the W&D this year. Dopey is going to take my W&D budget and then some. Its tough because W&D is my favorite, but Dopey sounds too crazy to pass up.

Good luck to you! I admire anyone with the fortitude to take it on! :cheer2:

It's official. DH and I are registered, along with another couple, who will be doing their first Half. Very excitied for our friends and our KID FREE Disney weekend!

It's official. DH and I are registered, along with another couple, who will be doing their first Half. Very excitied for our friends and our KID FREE Disney weekend!

Me too! I think I may be more excited about the kids free weekend than the actual race. First half for us too.

I agree. We have done a few kid free visits and none were better than last year when we did it for the F&W Festival. This is definitely the time to go kid free. :thumbsup2

We booked our flights and we have a reservation at the Swan so now it really seems real to me! :faint:

Ugh! I don't know where we should book. We could do the Swan with a military discount, or book The Boardwalk and hope for a military discount or a 30% off deluxe promotion to come through for us. I really don't want to delay much longer in getting rooms booked. What to do? We've never stayed at Swan & Dolphin and I'm concerned that we won't love it...(Well, mostly concerned that my parents, who are coming to watch the kids while we race won't like it.) They REALLY like Disney deluxe resorts though we honestly can't justify them at full price.

Ugh! I don't know where we should book. We could do the Swan with a military discount, or book The Boardwalk and hope for a military discount or a 30% off deluxe promotion to come through for us. I really don't want to delay much longer in getting rooms booked. What to do? We've never stayed at Swan & Dolphin and I'm concerned that we won't love it...(Well, mostly concerned that my parents, who are coming to watch the kids while we race won't like it.) They REALLY like Disney deluxe resorts though we honestly can't justify them at full price.

I enjoyed the Dolphin. It is a nice hotel. It isn't Disney though. It did lack the magic and ambiance. But it is hard to see the discount and turn it down.

Im a huge fan of the Swan and Dolphin. To me they are just as Disney as the Disney resorts, but a bit more luxurious. I can't imagine any place I would rather be at 4:00 am after running through WDW all night, than in one of their heavenly beds. :thumbsup2

Stayed at The Swan last October and it was a disaster. Room and bath old and not clean, humidity issues causing windows to fog in room, halls, and lobby. Got there and room key machine was broken. Do Not recommend Swan for folks used to Deluxes.

My husband and I celebrated our 5th anniversary in WDW. We said then that we would make it a tradition for the 5s (5, 10, 15, etc.). But then we decided to celebrate DD's 2nd bday in WDW this year and had planned to do something else for #10. Enter in the Princess Half 2013 weekend - SO SO SO much fun and the start of my runDisney addiction. I've now convinced my husband (who hasn't run one step in the 10 years we have been married) to do the Wine & Dine 2013 Half for our big #10. It is the week before, but close enough :)

He is a healthy individual and LOVES to walk. Each time he parks the car we are in the furthest spot away. But like I said - not a runner. So if we do this, we will be keep more of a speed walk pace. Having done the Princess - I figured this was no big deal - we would fit right in!! But as I've been reading recaps on-line this week it appears that the crowd at this one is a faster crowd. Will we be okay speed walking? I figure we will average 13 min per mile (so well below the requirement), but I also want to know that we won't be alone!!!

Thanks!!

My husband and I celebrated our 5th anniversary in WDW. We said then that we would make it a tradition for the 5s (5, 10, 15, etc.). But then we decided to celebrate DD's 2nd bday in WDW this year and had planned to do something else for #10. Enter in the Princess Half 2013 weekend - SO SO SO much fun and the start of my runDisney addiction. I've now convinced my husband (who hasn't run one step in the 10 years we have been married) to do the Wine & Dine 2013 Half for our big #10. It is the week before, but close enough :)

He is a healthy individual and LOVES to walk. Each time he parks the car we are in the furthest spot away. But like I said - not a runner. So if we do this, we will be keep more of a speed walk pace. Having done the Princess - I figured this was no big deal - we would fit right in!! But as I've been reading recaps on-line this week it appears that the crowd at this one is a faster crowd. Will we be okay speed walking? I figure we will average 13 min per mile (so well below the requirement), but I also want to know that we won't be alone!!!

Thanks!!

You will absolutely be fine. The Princess seems to draw more brand new racers who are in groups, which slows things down a bit. Last year I walked through the Studios. I wanted to remember some of it.

Thanks!!

You guys will be fine. There were plenty of walkers last year!:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter