• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

We (my cousin and I) I just made this a reality by booking Beach Club last night!!! :cool1:

Now, is there a good training schedule that takes you from a 5K up to a half- can anyone recommend one?

Welcome! :)

I used one from www.marathonrookie.com that I really liked, but I know there are others that people have tried successfully - I'd love to hear about them as well! :)

Now, is there a good training schedule that takes you from a 5K up to a half- can anyone recommend one?

I like Hal Higdon's training programs. Since it is a while until the W&D, you could probably do a few of his training programs. Do the 10k training, then the 10-miler training to build up to the half training plan. The plans are usually 12 weeks, so that could work out well in time for November!

I am in for my 4th Wine & Dine ½.

Yeah right. Two of the coldest days of my life (that I can remember), January 1969 standing muster aboard SHANGRI-LA in Mayport, FL and 2010 standing muster awaiting the start of the WDW Full Marathon. Your weather is too unpredictable for us northerners. I will do Wine and Dine from now on.

Marathon Weekend 2010 was unreal. By the next weekend, we were wearing shorts and t-shirts again.

I'm trying to convince DH that we need to do this in 2013 and not wait until 2014 with limited success. We ran ToT in September and so I am wondering how does this race measure up? Despite the oppressive heat, we had a blast doing ToT even though I heard it wasn't as good as other Disney races which is why I am dying to do this one. The night races work for us because my folks can tag along to watch the kids.

My only concern is that after running ToT I felt too sick to do anything but walk back to YC so I am wondering if November will prove to be less humid so that maybe I'll be able to hit a few rides/character meets in the Epcot after the race rather than passing out on the sidewalk? :)

The heat and humidity (amongst other things) made the ToT wretched. Cooler and less humid and a bit more spread out is far more comfortable.

Hubby and I just decided to day we are going to give this a shot! Will be the first 1/2 for both of us! My sister and her DH may join us as well! I'm super excited and ready to get to training!
:cheer2:

Please add me, add me!!!! I'm so excited! Haven't done rundisney event since marathon in 2010 as I'm in the UK and timings haven't worked out. My flights are booked :) oh I'll be doing the half marathon.

Since it is a while until the W&D, you could probably do a few of his training programs. Do the 10k training, then the 10-miler training to build up to the half training plan. The plans are usually 12 weeks, so that could work out well in time for November!

This is exactly what I'm doing! I'm into the 5K to 10K program now then I'll move on to the next program when this one is done.

I have a really stupid question. I was looking through pictures of the race on disneys website and everyone is dressed in food related costumes. Would it be stupid to dress as the Cheshire Cat?

I have a really stupid question. I was looking through pictures of the race on disneys website and everyone is dressed in food related costumes. Would it be stupid to dress as the Cheshire Cat?

I say go with it, that would be really cute!! I think they just highlight the food themed ones as they go with the race. :)

Go for it! I'm sure people will be dressed as everything under the sun! (or nothing at all) You may even see a few other chesire cats... ;)

DO IT!!!! As the previous poster said, they were probably just highlighting the food costumes. Just be comfortable and do a trial or two in your costume prior to race night.

OMG we're back!!!:cool1::cool1: Hey everybody! :wave2:

Seems like the 2012 W&D just finished and I'm so glad to see some familiar names again so soon!:love: I know I said right after last year's race that I wouldn't do it again but...okay, let's just say the pixiedust: took over and I'm in! Also looking to getting some C2C bling in 2014 as well. Judging by the Festival dates, my guess would be race night would be Nov 9th. Thoughts?:scratchin

Awesome!! Thanks guys! So if you see a redheaded Cheshire Cat running around its me!

I am in again. This will be my 4th W&D. Mike is running too. :)

There were all kinds of costumes at last year's race. We pretty consistently ran with Snow White for most of the race. I was a 'pirate princess fairy.' It was pretty cute. Sparkle skirts pirate skirt, mickey pirate princess ears and pirate princess fairy wings that I found clearanced at Target. Ditched the wings about mile 5 or 6, but wore the ears for the whole race. Mike wore a pirate hat, had an eye patch and a sword.

Not sure what we will do this year, but I would really like to go in costume.

The 2012 race was the first race where I was healthy enough and had my fueling/salt intake under control enough that I was able to enjoy the after party. Looking forward to even more fun this year!:goodvibes

Seems like the 2012 W&D just finished and I'm so glad to see some familiar names again so soon!:love: I know I said right after last year's race that I wouldn't do it again but...okay, let's just say the pixiedust: took over and I'm in! Also looking to getting some C2C bling in 2014 as well. Judging by the Festival dates, my guess would be race night would be Nov 9th. Thoughts?:scratchin

my 1st Disney race-wish me luck!

Wait, dressing up is involved? Why didn't I know that?

Ok, that's just all out FUN!

Wait till I tell my cousin we are going as Bacon and Eggs. Or something similar. Maybe not, she might drop out! Hahahaha!!!

Thanks for all the recs on training- I will be looking into them!

I was just telling DH last night that the race was sorta like giving birth (minus the entire raising children for decades after part). Training is months of discipline, aches and pains, watching your diet, and the race can be unpleasant at times but it's an AMAZING feeling and after your sort of forget about all the bad stuff! :rotfl2:

I'm looking at C2C in 2014 too. I'm thinking Tink in January and W&D in Nov. I really want to do Princess but I just am not a 3 AM person... castle or no.

I would love to do a C2C but it isn't happening until the kids are older. Too tough to coordinate childcare while we run and DH has become too much of a enthusiast to let me go it alone on these fun races ;). I can't believe I wished for him to like running for the last 10 years and now it's getting in the way of my doing awesome races :P

I was just telling DH last night that the race was sorta like giving birth (minus the entire raising children for decades after part). Training is months of discipline, aches and pains, watching your diet, and the race can be unpleasant at times but it's an AMAZING feeling and after your sort of forget about all the bad stuff! :rotfl2:

I'm looking at C2C in 2014 too. I'm thinking Tink in January and W&D in Nov. I really want to do Princess but I just am not a 3 AM person... castle or no.

OMG, TOO FUNNY!!!:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter