• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

Snelldog said:
Quick poll: would you elect to buy a dining plan for 2 adults and a 10 year old?? I cannot figure if its a better deal or not... Thanks for your response!

We always get dining plan. Went once without it and spent just as much (or more I think!) on food anyway.

binab said:
I've always wanted to run Disney, so I'm excited at learning this is going on while we'll be there in November. Has anyone used the in room babysitting service so you could participate? I'm more of a walker, so I'd need care until the wee hours of the morning...

My good friend has used it many times and it has worked very well for them.

First Post is Up-to-date! We are a growing group!!! Let me know if I missed you or put you in the wrong place!

:dance3:

Please also add me to the 5K list. :thumbsup2

Anyone doing 5K and Half? My wife might want to do the 5K and wants me to join her. Anyone ever do this on same say?

I have done the 5K with the previous Wine & Dine ½'s. It makes for a long day, but it is certainly doable. I am however, addicted to race bling. So I would do it just for the medallion. (Hence the Alice 5K & Dumbo Double Dare in Disneyland).

Quick poll: would you elect to buy a dining plan for 2 adults and a 10 year old?? I cannot figure if its a better deal or not... Thanks for your response!

Aside for cost, also figure in timing. I have found it sometimes a challenge to schedule meals for the weekend, at least regarding the best use of dining credits.

My good friend has used it many times and it has worked very well for them.

Thanks! In this case, I am definitely in. I have done a couple of 3-day 60 mile events. Most of my training walks for that are 9-10 miles, so I'm confident I can do the half. :) We're not allowed to run at all during the 3day, but I am going to start working on my endurance and run part of this.

...marking my calendar now for March 12! Can't wait!

We did the dining plan once and were not happy with it. We had the one that was 1 quick service, 1 sit-down, and 1 snack. We were still trying to use up snack credits on the last day and I felt gross trying to "get my money's worth" out of each meal. We just aren't dessert people nor do we enjoy getting a sugary beverage with each meal so it didn't make sense for us financially. (Also, I always get the chicken on a menu so we simply couldn't come out ahead.) When I added everything up we didn't save using the meal plan. I think the only way we'd do it again was if we were planning a character meal each day. Then it might be worth it for our family. (Though I'd feel gross eating buffet food for an entire vacation as well.)

Bottom line, I think the meal plan was once a value but isn't any longer. I'd much rather pack healthy snacks from home and eat light in the parks, including one or two special meals than be restricted by the meal plan parameters ever again.

Question for race veterans. Can my family watch me finish if they don't buy party tickets?

If they keep the same route as last year, the finish is actually out in the parking lot in front of Epcot. They would only need tickets if you all wanted to attend the after party together. :dance3:

capeseal said:
Bottom line, I think the meal plan was once a value but isn't any longer. I'd much rather pack healthy snacks from home and eat light in the parks, including one or two special meals than be restricted by the meal plan parameters ever again.

I agree with your comments! We always do a couple of character dinners and others where we would spend more than what our DDP cost for the day. We use our snack credits without issue, but we get water or dole whips or lemonades or other treats! ;-)

I wondered about the value for a race weekend but I suspect we will use two credits for a dinner at Be Our Guest, and will use the other nights. Not sure about quick service, but was going to do some menu researching. ;-) We were always able to get bottled water with our quick service meals, has that changed?

Well I'm in! This will be my third Wine and Dine, and the second leg of my first C2C try. Looking forward to it!

Since I have absolutely NO patience :hyper:, and can't wait for race weekend to get here, I decided to go online and design a shirt for this year's race. Can you say hyper much??!!??:lmao:

It is looking more likely that we will be doing the race! We were able to get a refund on our Southwest tickets for a trip we can no longer take do to DH's coming deployment. Since they were only going to refund DH's ticket (they were bought using a credit from another trip that the military forced us to postpone and we weren't able to extend the credits any longer), I wasn't sure how we would afford the trip in November but now with the refund we are all set for airfare. I really really hope we can make the trip happen so that we can run in November!

Please forgive me if this has already been covered, but I went back several pages and didn't see it...Anyone have any idea of around about when registration may open?
Thanks!:)

Please forgive me if this has already been covered, but I went back several pages and didn't see it...Anyone have any idea of around about when registration may open?
Thanks!:)

Registration appears to be scheduled to open on March 12, 2013.

It is possible this might change though, because the RunDisney website for this event seemingly has been changing quite a bit for the last few days (i.e. every time I go on to check, it seems to revert back and forth between current info and dates and 2012's dates.) As of right now, the site shows all of last year's information and dates, but under the Registration tab displays the registration opening date I listed above.

PlutoBaby said:
Since I have absolutely NO patience :hyper:, and can't wait for race weekend to get here, I decided to go online and design a shirt for this year's race. Can you say hyper much??!!??:lmao:

Are you going to share your masterpiece with us? Would love to see it!

capeseal said:
It is looking more likely that we will be doing the race! We were able to get a refund on our Southwest tickets for a trip we can no longer take do to DH's coming deployment. Since they were only going to refund DH's ticket (they were bought using a credit from another trip that the military forced us to postpone and we weren't able to extend the credits any longer), I wasn't sure how we would afford the trip in November but now with the refund we are all set for airfare. I really really hope we can make the trip happen so that we can run in November!

Fingers crossed!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter