The not so live version of dining w/ Disers, in Castles & on Safari! The Wrap! 2/26

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by emmysmommy, Sep 8, 2013.

1. disneyquilter

disneyquilter Just keep swimmin'...

I am!! 20 minutes from my door to a tram (or on a Friday night, my door to the Uva bar :lmao: )

Ok, so Jiko is now officially on my WDW Eatery Bucket List. Those short ribs look amazing!!! Thank you for posting such awesome photos!!! Can't wait for the next round of reviews. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend!! :wizard:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. vettegirl

vettegirl Dole Whip Queen

I am going to have to give Jiko another try on a solo trip. Hubby won't go back but your review was amazing :)

4. emmysmommy

emmysmommy DIS Veteran

Hi guys! Let me get some responses posted but as much as I intended to update tonight it will have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Ha! If you are a fan of cheese goo those nachos may be amazing. It's all about perspective.

Gooooo!! Your girls would love it!

Good for us but apparently not others... keep reading.

Darn! Old age, fading memory, I'll blame both. Ok, then I'm remembering your Dlx dining for your anniversary. Yeah, let's go with that. Thanks for keeping me honest my friend.

you are not the only one Paula. I remember that even the week we were there Jiko had some mixed reviews on the live dining thread. However, it was for other dishes that we didn't order so I'm not sure what the deal was.

She was a cutie sitting next to us and I didn't want to do to her face what I did to our last photobomber >>>
    [​IMG]

Glad to hear you are dining there. I hope you have a good experience like us.

I went with the short ribs since I had only had a taste of Em's last time. They really did live up to my expectation. I hope you enjoy them as well.

Your dessert comment reminds me that Em never posted her bonus content where she recreated the apple spice cheesecake. It was really good.

At least if you like chocolate, they give those complimentary chocolate pistachio cookies at the end of the meal.

Thank you everything Alice! I'm so pleased to hear it!! Welcome to this Dining Review!!

I wish you a wonderful dining experience at Jiko!

Hi Susan. Thanks for joining over here!

Actually, I think there's many people with both the QS and the regular DP who could benefit from your review. Since I obviously didn't research for my QS option at MK I could have studied up!!

Hi Tinker!! Jiko is definitely a contender for one of our favorites. However, I'm nervous that they have been getting some mixed reviews so I can only say that our experience and food was very good!

Chef Jon was circulating the restaurant that night. We didn't see him on our previous visit. That aha moment was really quite embarrassing I tell ya!

Hi Barb! I threw out some additional options that we might want to try. Since I'm so far behind on PMs and comments you've likely already seen that.

Jill I agree. With changes to the menu it narrowed down our choices. However, since they didn't get rid of the short ribs we went with that which worked our great. I hope you have a great experience!

Good to hear that Fran! I've never had the flatbread.

Oh no!! bad desserts argh! Have you had the zebra domes? I hear they sell them at the Mara. So any zebra dome lovers could always head over there for dessert. (I've never tried them.)

Hi Kimmy! I'm glad to see you following along here too! You'll get the preview of all the important stuff, the food, ahead of the TR!

Yeah, being on the DP would kinda not fit with using your dining credits. Wouldn't it be great if they had appetizer and cocktail credits??

Jiko was really worth our time this trip.

Several people have chimed in that Tortuga Tavern is not always open. I wonder if it is seasonal?? But yeah, if it is not open often that reduces the possibility of a dining failure.

More CL food coming up soon. Gotta love free food and cocktails (and other beverages) set out.

Hi there!! I'm so glad that you are joining! Welcome to the latest edition of my descent into gluttony!

Hi Kathy! Alisha may like the short ribs since they are really like a pot roast on steroids with a yummy sauce.

Look at me not knowing who he was! ;)

Hi Linda. I didn't know about the veggie menu. Good to know and thanks for sharing that.

Thanks... you are so sweet.

Ha!! We are only 20 minutes as well... we live by Back Bay Newport area. Hmmm we're maybe neighbors!

I'm so glad that my DD tried Jiko's short ribs earlier this year.. she made me a fan.

Thanks and maybe we'll catch you at D-land sometime!

Hi Lori! Oh no! It looks like there are others that have not had a great experience.

5. LittleStinkerbelle

LittleStinkerbelle DIS Veteran

Wow, the CL offerings look great! Loved your review of Jiko - definitely on my to do list. For some reason Jiko, (and AKL) have alluded us. Need to get over there pronto next trip!;)

6. peachmermaid

peachmermaid Mouseketeer

I'm in!! Someone needs to keep my husband updated on my meal wishes for my birthday trip! Especially since we're both picky eaters, I trust your judgement!

7. nickymaria

nickymaria Mouseketeer

Subbing! Love, love, love your dining reports (and TRs as well) - you and Emmy have the coolest experiences! As my girls get older I hope we get to have lots of mother/daughter trips - they're the best. Jiko looked great - I have to move my ADR for my upcoming trip since we changed the night we're going to MVMCP but I have to make sure we get over there at least once! Keep up the great reviews!

8. Leslieann1024

Leslieann1024 Mouseketeer

Ugh ! I definitely would have returned them and then "doctored" them at the fixings bar. How strange is it that the consumer could create a better plate than the purveyor . . . . ?

9. dancin Disney style

dancin Disney style <font color=blue>I found one to share with some fa

You were both busy checking pics on your camera. You both obviously looked great....how else would I have recognized you??? :goodvibes

10. bsjs0708

bsjs0708 DIS Veteran

I'm still drooling over that Mickey waffle....;)

11. francis6306

francis6306 DIS Veteran

I actually do like the goo at times… it's all in what I'm looking for in the moment. If I'm at a mexican restaurant, then I expect shredded cheese and lots of yumminess… But if I'm at a ballgame, then bring on the goo! :thumbsup2

12. emmysmommy

emmysmommy DIS Veteran

Hi there and thank you. If you go to Jiko say hi to Chef Jon for me! :wave2:

Hi Jennifer. Does someone need to drop some serious hints to Richard. I can be picky at times as well but I do recall that someone likes a certain lemon cupcake! :)

Hi nic! Thank you for joining and I'm glad that you are here. I'm grateful that Em still wants to do mother/daughter trips with me. I hope you are able to build some wonderful memories with your little girls in the future as well.

Ahhh the ADR juggle. I know it well. We'll be attending a MVMCP as well but on 12/10 which I think is after your dates.

Hi leslieann. The fixings bar certainly did wonders. ;)

Ha! That sounds like us - checking the camera I mean. I suppose this will remain one of life's mysteries for me.... :) We actually had another Diser say they were in the same elevator as us several years ago and I looked back at my photos and sure enough she was in our trip photos... so you never know. Here's a link to that experience.

Oh my, it was very good.

I love your Ursula reference in your signature! :thumbsup2

You know... your frame of reference makes sense. :thumbsup2 I mean how many ball parks or movie theaters sell nachos with real shredded cheese?? :scratchin

13. emmysmommy

emmysmommy DIS Veteran

Day 2: Aug. 17, 2013 – Club Level late night dessert

Following our Jiko dinner, instead of heading to the room, we decided to go ahead and check out the CL dessert options. We figured if we did decide on anything we could bring plates back to the room to enjoy later.

The lounge was deserted.. probably because everyone had already done the grab and go thing. There were not a lot of items left; however, there were plenty of options for us to choose.

There was an assortment of cookies, rice krispie treats, tropical (lime) tarts with meringue, vanilla panna cotta with blueberry compote, and brownies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beverage choices:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how many people opted for hot chocolate mid summer in Florida?? :scared:
    [​IMG]

They still had the liquor out as well.
    [​IMG]

View of the lobby from the lounge:
    [​IMG]

And what did we choose….

[​IMG]

This is what self-control looks like!! Ha ha!
    [​IMG]

My choices:
    [​IMG]

That Diet Coke is just product placement for a potential sponsorship! Coca-Cola company are you reading??

The best item of the four was the oatmeal raisin cookie. If I had known this ahead of sampling the other items I would have grabbed a dozen and horded those in my bedside table in the room.

Next Up: Sunrise Safari Breakfast... really this time.

14. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

I probably should not have read that update before I had my breakfast bar. Now I'm craving cookies for breakfast.:lmao:

I can't wait to read about the Sunrise Safari...I so want to do that the next time we stay at AKL.

15. Miss Potts

Miss Potts Mouseketeer

I love rice krispee treats in the CL... They are always my go to! (And the coke too... But I'm trying to kick the soda habit)

16. vettegirl

vettegirl Dole Whip Queen

Great dessert update. I just love the dresses you guys wore!

17. bsjs0708

bsjs0708 DIS Veteran

Well the diet coke DOES balance things out :thumbsup2

18. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

The real world sucks - why isn't there a lounge close to my bedroom that's full of cookies and brownies for me to take to my bed ;)
    Oh and I fear you have blown your Pepsi contract

19. francis6306

francis6306 DIS Veteran

Looks yummy!! :goodvibes I am impressed that you made it to the elevator with your treats! I may have snacked all the way back to the room!

20. disneyquilter

Absolutely! If you ever want to have a meet at DL, DCA, or DTD, let me know - I am in Placentia, about 20 minutes from you, except I am in the North ;)

21. disneyquilter

:rotfl2: @ Product Placement!!

My diet Pepsi's always are to counteract all the calories in my desserts, which is why there are 0 calories in any Disney food item...especially desserts :lmao: