The not so live version of dining w/ Disers, in Castles & on Safari! The Wrap! 2/26

Oh my gosh!!!! We were going from MK to DHS, I believe, if my photos tell the story of where we were. You would not have been stalkerish at all! I would have loved to say "hi". :) That's actually how so many of our accidental Dis meets happened. I hope you had an awesome trip!

Thanks for reading and joining here!

Well....you know what 14yo's are like. EVERYTHING that the parents do is weird and wrong. I can't wait for this stage to pass.

We did have a great time. We stayed offsite this year and only spent that one day at WDW. We started at DHS then on to Epcot and finished the day at MK. We saw you going from Epcot to MK probably around 3pm.

Next trip we are going to stay onsite again and do a total Disney trip.

Day 2: August 17, 2013 - Jiko Dinner

DSCN3323.jpg

This was our second time to dine at Jiko, the first was last trip during our 1 night stay at AKL. This place became a top 5 immediately and we knew we would dine here again during this stay.

DSCN3283.jpg

We had some live entertainment that doesn’t occur every night folks. There was a large party of very happy, very well served, very loud women at a table near the entrance. They must have been celebrating something because at one point we heard them break into song that had some words like happ-pp-y biiirth-thhh-day to youuuu. It was hard to make out the exact words since they were slurring their song.

Based on our last dining experience in February, I knew without looking at the menu what I was going to order. And no, it wasn’t the same filet as last time. See, I told you I was trying new dishes. However, it was the beef short-ribs that Em ordered last time that were amazing. Em decided to order the same thing so I guess she didn’t want to mess with a good thing either.

Menu photos
DSCN3270.jpg

DSCN3271.jpg

DSCN3267.jpg

Before our order was placed Chef Jon arrived at our table with an amuse bouche. This truly was compliments of the chef! However…. Me, the queen of not paying attention just thanked the nice man in the chef coat and dug in. I didn’t realize who this was presenting us with his special creation. Hang on to that thought more to come….

The tiny dish was risotto with faro and sunflower seeds and mascarpone. It was delicious. Of course this little teaser made me want that as a sub for any side but I thought better of being greedy and eating everyone else’ amuse bouche.

Risotto Amuse Bouche:
DSCN3287.jpg

We were presented with the bread basket that has the two kinds of bread and tandoori butter. Always good stuff!

Dabo Bread (Ethiopian honey-wheat) & Flaxseed Focaccia with tandoori butter:

DSCN3292.jpg

Since we had essentially had our appetizers at the CL lounge a couple hours earlier we skipped right to our main course.

Our braised beef short-ribs arrived with an explanation of the spicy and savory sauces that were presented on the plate. Nice touch in case anyone digging into the red salsa looking stuff didn’t care for the heat that may surprise them.

Spicy Botswana Style “Seswaa” Braised Beef Short-Ribs: Cassava-potato puree, Sambal, mushrooms, and fava beans ($42)
DSCN3302.jpg

Sorry, my photos rather stink! I’m stealing Em’s photo from our last trip!
IMG_7818_zps267d150d1.jpg

DSCN3300.jpg

As beautiful as the dish may appear in a photo, it can’t convey the wonderful range of flavors that are experienced when enjoying this dish. I loved the spicy Sambal. And of course the fall off the bone beef is unlike anything that grandma roasted in the crock pot! Yep! We are fans of their short ribs.
After enjoying our entrees we considered dessert.

DSCN3307.jpg

Changes to the dessert menu meant that the wonderful apple spice cake cheesecake is no longer served we didn’t see anything that sparked our interest. Half of the dessert options were either chocolate or coffee flavored which eliminated them as options that I would choose. In the end we passed.
The chocolate pistachio cookies arrived with the bill. That’s a nice marketing touch. Here’s something sweet with your bill! I tasted these last time and they were far too chocolatey for me so I left mine on the plate.

Complimentary chocolate pistachio cookies:
DSCN3312.jpg

Chef Jon came back around to our table when we were ready to depart. He chatted briefly with us and I couldn’t figure out why one of the cooks was interested in our opinions on the food. Sure, it was fabulous. THEN I HAD AN AHA MOMENT…. THIS WAS CHEF JON… THE CHEF JON. I stopped mid-sentence and pointed my dainty manicured finger in his direction and asked “Who are you?” He did a Vanna White with his hand under his name tag and said, “Chef Jon.” Argh! Figures. See? Not paying attention thing!
I was then able to have a somewhat intelligent conversation with the nice man about the recent menu changes, the fall features that they are testing including venison, and their participation in some F&W offerings. He was an engaging man and I enjoyed our chat. (I’m sure once he set foot back in the kitchen he was thinking that sometimes it doesn’t pay to venture out to mingle with the guests.)

DSCN3318.jpg

Using our TiW card we saved $17.40.

Bonus photos:
DSCN3262.jpg

DSCN3311.jpg

null-4191.jpg

DSCN3321.jpg

DSCN3272.jpg

Post Jiko CL Dessert Next

Well....you know what 14yo's are like. EVERYTHING that the parents do is weird and wrong. I can't wait for this stage to pass.

We did have a great time. We stayed offsite this year and only spent that one day at WDW. We started at DHS then on to Epcot and finished the day at MK. We saw you going from Epcot to MK probably around 3pm.

Next trip we are going to stay onsite again and do a total Disney trip.

Ha ha! I get the 14 yr old thing. ::yes:: Glad to hear you had a great trip.

The 29th was our last full day at WDW so we hit up 3 of the parks. Epcot was our last stop before going back to our hotel. We must have taken the monorail from Epcot to the TTC and then the resort monorail. You have a great memory!!

I shared this with Em and her first comment was I hope we weren't in a bad mood or looking horrid!! :laughing:

So THIS is where all the action has been…. :laughing:

I have caught up (Thanks for the links!!) Sorry about the not-so-amazing nachos! That WCC Breakfast menu looks amazing. Didn't I JUST say we were NOT going to WCC this trip? You are going to make me change my mind, Missy!!!!! :thumbsup2 We'll see… we'll see. I LOVE the huge Mickey Waffle!

Don't I recall someone last year staying 2+ weeks with CL AND deluxe DP? ;) I'd rather have the 3 trip tickers in my signature than staying deluxe!

I was quite impressed that they kept such an eye on the food to keep it fresh.

Not ME!! The only deluxe I have stayed at is the WLV and that was with a Timeshare exchange. This trip to the WL will be our first time paying for Deluxe OOP and CL would have been way more! Last year there was no deluxe DP. We used the TiW card. Deluxe DP was for our 5 year anniversary and hubby says never again lol.

LOL!
I had got a chuckle out of the little "Thumbs Up Photobomber" in one of your Jiko pics!!:rotfl2:

Ahhhh....Jiko. :love:
I will be enjoying yet another amazing dinner there in just two short months!

Mmm, Jiko looks amazing! I think I'll definitely be trying those short ribs when we visit on the 28th, your description and photos are making my mouth water.

So sad the apple spice cheesecake is no longer on the menu, it sounded so yummy when Em reviewed it after your previous visit. I don't really see anything on the new menu that grabs me either. :sad2:

Thanks for another great update!

Absolutely loving your reviews!

I'd never considered dining at Territory Lounge before, but I'll have to keep it in mind after reading your review. Planning to dine for the first time at Jiko on my upcoming trip, so I'm glad too see it gets such favorable reviews.

Coming over from your TR !! Loving your DR !! Looking forward to more !! I thought about doing a DR, but since we only had the QSDP, I didn't think it would be very interesting.

Susan

LOL!
I had got a chuckle out of the little "Thumbs Up Photobomber" in one of your Jiko pics!!:rotfl2:

Ahhhh....Jiko. :love:
I will be enjoying yet another amazing dinner there in just two short months!

LOL!!! I love it too!! What a smile! :rotfl2:

My DFamily has never been to Jiko. Of course, I long to go there and this report makes it harder not to change my ressie's around! It looks like an amazing restaurant and what a pleasant surprise to have CHEF JON there to talk to as well!!

Great review of Jiko! Are we still on to dine there on my last night? If so, I need to go ahead and make an ADR. I would like to say that I will give the short rib another try based on your stellar review, but I think I might need some more convincing. ;)

Good to see a review of Jiko. I have a reservation there for my first dinner of the trip and I'm really back and forth on whether to keep it or not. I'm not a fan of the recent menu changes. This just makes it harder to decide!

Jill in CO

Jiko has always been good for me! Their flatbreads are outstanding and I've never been disappointed in any of the entrees I've tried. Dessert, on the other hand, always miss the mark for me! On my May visit I thought I would give the Gooseberry Milk Tart a try. YUCK! Probably the worst dessert I've ever had anywhere!! My advice to anyone wanting to try Jiko: Enjoy the appetizers and entrees but get dessert somewhere else! :)

I love your trip reports and I love food, so basically...I am going to love this report!

The lounges really are gems, aren't they? If I wasn't on the dining plan, I would probably use them a lot!

Jiko just seems so beautiful...on both the eyes AND tongue! I can't wait to finally try it!

Hungry for more! :thumbsup2

All caught up here too. YUM. Well, except for the Tortuga Tavern nachos. I don't like that fake cheese goo either. I don't think I've ever visited when Tortuga Tavern was open so good to know I'm not missing much. :rolleyes:

I am so intrigued by club level stays. On my wish list, for sure!

Ahh... Jiko. So yummy. Now I am seriously second guessing that it is not on our itinerary in October. Wonder if I could find a night to fit it in...:scratchin

Can't wait to hear about the sunrise safari!!

I need to go back and read the reviews you posted-- but totally subscribing! I love your DRs & TRs!!

Yet another restaurant I have to put on the "to try" list. I'm afraid it will be 2015 before we can since our daughter-in-law is very fussy (unless I make it a night before they join us next year).

Look at you...the celebrity who meets "the Chef."

Love Jiko
They have a wonderful stand alone vegetarian menu as well :thumbsup2
As always both you and Em look lovely and glam :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter