The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to cancel my room at the Dolphin next year as we have changed our plans and booked to go on the Disney Dream instead :thumbsup2

I'm cruising on the Dream next year (Feb.) and staying at the Swan for 6 nights post cruise! :woohoo: I think of a Disney cruise as an "in addition to" WDW, rather than as an "instead of."

I usually stay at the Swan, but last December I did a split stay between AKL and WL. I spent most evenings at Epcot, and I REALLY missed being able to walk back to the resort when the park closed. As nice as AKL/WL are, I'll take an Epcot resort any day (especially my beloved Swan) over having to take a bus from Epcot to the resort!

ITA we're at POFQ this Christmas and I KNOW it's going to drive me nuts not to be so close to Epcot and DHS! At least we're planning on heading over to eat several times while not at "home".

Morning, I am posting live from the Swan.

Checked in Sat and am loving it.

I have a BW view balcony room thanks to a great rate through Expedia:thumbsup2

I can see Illumuniations and can even hear the music from my balcony.

Though last night it was hard to hear over the thunderstorm (and what a storm it was).

I tried Il Mulino and it was fantastic, glad I had my TIW card as it is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.

Morning, I am posting live from the Swan.

Checked in Sat and am loving it.

I have a BW view balcony room thanks to a great rate through Expedia:thumbsup2

I can see Illumuniations and can even hear the music from my balcony.

Though last night it was hard to hear over the thunderstorm (and what a storm it was).

I tried Il Mulino and it was fantastic, glad I had my TIW card as it is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.

Glad you liked Il Mulino! Il Mulino, BlueZoo and Shula's are three of my favorites places to eat when I am down at WDW.

Glad you liked Il Mulino! Il Mulino, BlueZoo and Shula's are three of my favorites places to eat when I am down at WDW.

Another fan of Il Mulino! We had a fantastic dinner there in June. :thumbsup2

have a great trip - hope the thunderstorms are gone!

I have never had a LOT of packages sent to the Swan, for my pickup during a stay, but I have had packages delivered on a number of trips, was never charged anything by the hotel.

I found the info again--it's in the email confirmation the Swan sent when I made my reservation. It says:

"Package Handling Policy
There is a package handling fee for all incoming and outbound packages. Please contact the hotel directly for the exact fee"

So, has anyone been charged for incoming packages? I emailed the Swan directly and haven't heard back yet.

Hi everyone!

I'm the $20 tip lady here, the one who got the alcove suite upgrade from a standard at the dolphin!

We got home yesterday & can't wait to go back!

So, for all of those who want to know what I did to get this fabulous upgrade.... When I was checking in I had a very nice employee. When he asked for my ID and CC, I also had a $20 bill with them. When I slid him the info I said I'd also like to give you this IF you can find us an alcove room....

He found us one right away but it had not yet been released from housekeeping. He looked for another, then others over at the swan. We told him we'd wait for the 1st one he found! Then I began to chat with him about if it was ok ( it was ) if the tip thing for an upgrade happens a lot ( it doesn't maybe a couple of times a week or so not everyday ) and if he was allowed to just upgrade us big time from a standard to a suite ( he is! )

On Tuesday Sept 7 the Dolphin was shutting down their main power grid overnight from 11-6am to fix the main power supply cable. He also put us in a room at the swan for that night as we have kids who need to fall asleep to the sound of a fan. We were able to keep everything in the suite and just grab what we needed for that night. We did this at our main check in as well.

All in all it was an EXCELLENT experience and a great resort! We're going back for a quick trip on Halloween ( we're AP holders ) and we're staying at the WL. Actually we're SAD we won't be at the dolphin or swan b/c this resort is awesome in location and amenities! I'm going to TRY to get a room for this trip here, but my ressie at the WL has us at $212 a night and so far it's more than this at the dolphin for our dates so we'll just stay put unless I can get the same or le$$!!

I thought the Dolphin was great last year, but the Swan...WOW!! DH and I agree that we've found our perfect Disney resort! :lovestruc

We loved that it had a more intimate feel than the Dolphin, and we especially loved that it is so much more navigable. I can't overemphasize how wonderful it was that the Friendship boats, the bus stop, the elevators and our room were only short distances apart...invaluable when walking 10+ miles a day in 90 degree heat! (At least, that's what the pedometer said!)

As far as service goes...top notch. Our room was ready when we checked in around 4pm. I contacted the resort before our arrival and knew that we'd been upgraded to a balcony room. I had no idea, however, that the balcony was attached to a *deluxe alcove room*, complete with a bouquet of balloons, a mini-cheesecake, chocolate dipped fruit and a card from the hotel manager, wishing me a happy birthday! OMG, I was in heaven! :cloud9: We were on the 5th floor, on the West side, Room 592. I loved all the extra windows, and the wonderful views. It was, indeed, perfect. *happy sigh*

Even though there's only the two of us, it was wonderful having the extra space to spread out. Loved, loved, loved the Hollywood bath set up with the two sink areas...so much easier getting ready in the morning when you're not tripping over one another.

Housekeeping was impeccable. We came back to the room at all different hours...12:30pm, 3pm, 4:30pm...and the room was always clean, beds made, lots of clean towels, bottles of water replenished. We left a tip in a envelope every day, and there was always a note left for us, thanking us for the tip. Very nice.

Spent more time at the quiet pool on the Swan side than the Grotto pool this trip. Was a little disappointed that the Splash Grill was closed during our time there, but can kinda understand the reasoning: there was never more than 3 or 4 people at the pool when we were there. The Cabana Bar on the Dolphin side was open, but we ended up inside at the Fountain because it was just too darn hot to eat outside, anyway! Turns out the snack we had at the Fountain was the only meal we ate at the S/D. We had ressies at Blue Zoo and Il Mulino, but ended up canceling them because we just weren't that hungry because of the heat. (A recurring theme for the week...out of 11 ADRs I'd made for sit-down breakfasts, lunches and dinner, we only kept 4 of them.)

As for the parks themselves, crowds were practically non-existent, save for the Sunday night EMH at the MK on 5th. Once we made our way past the throngs on Main Street waiting for the MSEP and Wishes, navigating the rest of the park was a breeze. The only FP we actually used during the week were at DHS for TSM on Wednesday morning. As for the rest of the "headliners" - Tower of Terror, Rock -n- Roller Coaster, Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion - most times they were walk-ons, at most a 20 minute wait. Reason #1 why we love September!

Which brings us to Reason #1 why we love September a little less this year...the heat and humidity! :furious: OMG, it was absolutely brutal! :faint: DH and I usually tolerate the heat really well (if you can deal with the NYC subways in August, you can pretty much deal with anything!), but this year was different. I don't know if we were just worn down by the excessively hot summer NY had this year, but it just felt so much worse this year than last year. Even at night, there was no relief...the sun may have gone in, but the humidity never subsided. I'd also read some things about the shops and restaurants in the parks not feeling as cold as in past years, and I definitely found this to be true. We'd be hit with a blast of cold air as we'd walk into the Swan and go "Ahhhhhhh...". In the parks, it was cool, but not refreshingly so. Except for the Haunted Mansion. Wonder why, LOL.

So, it looks like next year we'll definitely be back at the Swan, just not in early September.

I think.

Who knows...the lure of an empty park is mighty hard to resist!

PS - I have three $25 restaurant.com certificates that I did not use...one for Il Mulino and two for Blue Zoo. I'll be happy to mail them to anyone who wants them. Please note that you can only use one per party, per month, per restaurant. PM me your address if interested. ETA: The certificates have been spoken for.

A few room/resort pics:

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2373-1.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

Is parking at the parks included with stays at S&D? Just wondering, haven't seen it spelled out anywhere. Thanks!

Sounds like a great stay, Lexi, and really nice pictures too. Thanks.

Parking at the parks is included.

PS - I have three $25 restaurant.com certificates that I did not use...one for Il Mulino and two for Blue Zoo. I'll be happy to mail them to anyone who wants them. Please note that you can only use one per party, per month, per restaurant. PM me your address if interested.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and thanks for sharing those photos! I would be interested in a Bluezoo gift certificate (if not already taken -- I will PM you).

Sounds like a great stay, Lexi, and really nice pictures too. Thanks.

Parking at the parks is included.
It definitely was a great trip. Thanks, Dan!

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and thanks for sharing those photos! I would be interested in a Bluezoo gift certificate (if not already taken -- I will PM you).
My pleasure. I'll probably post more on the S/D pic thread. It'll help me get through the long, long wait until the next trip, LOL.

Getting excited for our trip to the Swan, we're only going to be there Nov. 5th-8th, but it's just me and my husband. We've stayed at the Dolphin, never the Swan.

We're staying with cash and points from Starwood, so it will cost $180 cash for the 3 nights. We bought 10-day non-expiring tickets 2 years ago, we have old tickets with water park admissions still on them, so we're set there.

We'll check in on Friday, probably just enjoy the pool and walk over the the Boardwalk. We have no plans other than to walk over to Epcot Saturday and Sunday both, and enjoy the Food and Wine Festival.

No kids, no characters, no autograph books, no reservations for meals. Maybe go to a water park Monday? Who knows? Then we'll just fly home Monday evening!

Hi everyone!

I'm the $20 tip lady here, the one who got the alcove suite upgrade from a standard at the dolphin!
<snip>

tuckerkeys, thank you so much, I really appreciate you sharing all the details with us.

One more question--what kind of rate were you paying for the standard room, was it heavily discounted? We have the "BETTER TOMORROWS - BUY 1 NIGHT, GET THE 2ND AT 50% OFF" rate at the Swan, and are staying for 6 nights (avg $134/night). I'm wondering what our chances will be, the hotel must be close to fully booked as I just tried our dates and they're showing no availability.

Susanne, we had the exact same rate! The buy 1 night get the 2nd at 50% off......Let us know if you decide to do it! I was also super nice, cheerful and had a smile on, this helps a lot too!!

Hello! We are taking our first trip to S/D in a little over a month and are very excited. We are staying on starwood points for a week. Our reservation is at Dolphin, but now I'm having second thoughts. If you had two children ages 1 and 4 which would you stay at, swan or dolphin? I only see us using the grotto pool one or two times while we are there. Any food we eat at the resort would be ala carte. I appreciate the help and advice :)

Also to Lexi, how did you get the birthday treatment? I know it doesn't happen for everyone but I want to give it a shot :) It will be my husband's 30th while we are there and I'd love for him to get something special. Did you mention it on check in?

Thank you so much all for your help! :cool1:

Which brings us to Reason #1 why we love September a little less this year...the heat and humidity! :furious: OMG, it was absolutely brutal! :faint: DH and I usually tolerate the heat really well (if you can deal with the NYC subways in August, you can pretty much deal with anything!), but this year was different. I don't know if we were just worn down by the excessively hot summer NY had this year, but it just felt so much worse this year than last year. Even at night, there was no relief...the sun may have gone in, but the humidity never subsided. I'd also read some things about the shops and restaurants in the parks not feeling as cold as in past years, and I definitely found this to be true. We'd be hit with a blast of cold air as we'd walk into the Swan and go "Ahhhhhhh...". In the parks, it was cool, but not refreshingly so. Except for the Haunted Mansion. Wonder why, LOL.

So, it looks like next year we'll definitely be back at the Swan, just not in early September.

Thanks for your great report and photos. I LOVE the Swan, too, although I still haven't used one of their pools, and I've been staying there since November 2000!

My local FL friends have said this summer was hotter than any summer in recent memory - just as this was the coldest winter they've had in a long time. I hope it cools down a bit by the end of October!

Hello! We are taking our first trip to S/D in a little over a month and are very excited. We are staying on starwood points for a week. Our reservation is at Dolphin, but now I'm having second thoughts. If you had two children ages 1 and 4 which would you stay at, swan or dolphin? I only see us using the grotto pool one or two times while we are there. Any food we eat at the resort would be ala carte. I appreciate the help and advice :)

Also to Lexi, how did you get the birthday treatment? I know it doesn't happen for everyone but I want to give it a shot :) It will be my husband's 30th while we are there and I'd love for him to get something special. Did you mention it on check in?

Thank you so much all for your help! :cool1:
When I made the on-line reservation, I noted it in the comments section. I followed up with an email a week before our arrival, mentioning that it was a milestone birthday and that any consideration that could be given for an extra special room would be very much appreciated. I was hoping for a room with a nice view....what I received went above and beyond my expectations.

The email address I used was info@swandolphin.com.

Re: food, the dining options at the Swan are all sit-down restaurants, including the Garden Grove character meals. The Dolphin gives you the option of a quick service meal at Picabu, plus casual dining at Fountain. Fresh has somewhat of a buffet set-up, although everything is cooked to order, and is great for breakfast and lunch.

Room-wise, the Dolphin rooms are slightly larger in square footage, with two double beds or one king. The Swan rooms come with two queen beds or one king. The Dolphin has the one vanity with sink outside the bathroom; the Swan has a vanity with sink both inside and outside the bathroom.

Besides the grotto pool, the kiddie pool is also closer to the Dolphin. Oh, and the laundry facilities and the game room are located in the Dolphin, as well.

The general consensus seems to be that families with children seem to prefer the Dolphin, but your mileage may vary. Good luck making your decision, but I think you'll be very happy with either property.

PS - if you haven't already done so, enroll in the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Even better, if you belong to AAA, enroll in Starwood through them to receive additional benefits such as room upgrades, late checkout and double Starpoints for every dollar spent.

Thanks for your great report and photos. I LOVE the Swan, too, although I still haven't used one of their pools, and I've been staying there since November 2000!

My local FL friends have said this summer was hotter than any summer in recent memory - just as this was the coldest winter they've had in a long time. I hope it cools down a bit by the end of October!
Thanks, Nancy. It does seem to be a year of extremes down there. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the October weather is cooler! :wizard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter