The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're a Starwood member you can see your reservation online at www.spg.com. I'm not sure where to check that if you're not a member.

i check my ressie online at the spg site. within the ressie it has the room description. I booked using points and the original ressie has limited view. i checked on last monday and it was still limited view. yesterday morning it showed resort view with balcony. when i booked, i asked for an upgrade for my daughters birthday.

Greetings from the Dolphin!!

Having a fantastic time! Weather has been HOT HOT HOT, but great!

Keeping a hectic pace, even though we PROMISED we would be "low key" this trip. :goodvibes

Slept in on Wed because it is just TOO HARD to leave those Heavenly BEDS! :cloud9: It was a day of "Family Traditions":
-DD and DH having breakfast @ Main Street Bakery while MOM runs to Big Thunder Mountain to get fast passes :cutie:

-The Mountain Trifeca - We will wait in line for Splash Mountain because the queue isn't too hot, but I refuse to wait at BTM because it can get unbearably hot. (it is also MY favorite ride) Then on to Space Mountain for my two daredevils - I went for Buzz Lightyear fast passes and then rode Transit Authority (Paging Mr Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow - for some reason that tickles me EVERY time :goodvibes) and Carousel of Progress while waiting for the to finish Space Mountain. ( VERY long lines there.)

(keep losing my posts, so I will continue on next one...)

i check my ressie online at the spg site. within the ressie it has the room description. I booked using points and the original ressie has limited view. i checked on last monday and it was still limited view. yesterday morning it showed resort view with balcony. when i booked, i asked for an upgrade for my daughters birthday.

You can continue to track your ressie at spg.com or call the hotel directly. If you explain the birthday celebration it could ensure you get the upgrade.

Thank you. I'll be sure to include this in our presentation to them.

Looking forward to beef at Shula's, and gnocchi at Il Mulino.

My favorite restaurant is the BlueZoo at the Dolphin.
DisneyVacation2009035.jpg

DisneyVacation2009038.jpg

After riding Buzz Lightyear, we then CONTINUED our "Family Traditions" and went for our DOLE WHIP and then the annual photo of MY BOB in front of "Bwana Bob" kiosk. :goodvibes

Back to the wonderful Dolphin for a dip in the Grotto pool (and mai tai ;)) and then on to yet ANOTHER "Family Tradition" - Chefs de France. This must have been our best meal yet there - and our waiter was a doll. Made DD order in French and coached her throughout the meal, as we told him she is hoping to go to Paris next year as her graduation gift!

Then - on to EMH at Studios where my daredevils rode Rockin' Roller Coaster and then we all had a blast on Tower of Terror! Back to our heavenly beds and ready for the next day!!!

Thursday took us to Blizzard Beach - the daredevils did every slide but Slusher Gusher and I bobbed in the Bob Pool, and had my mai tai. :cutie:

Back to the Dolphin for another dip in the Grotto Pool, then a very enjoyable dinner at the Cabana Bar & Grill. DD and DH enjoyed great burgers, and I had the chicken BLT. AAA card gave us 20% off food. (Yes, I had another mai tai. :rolleyes1)

Off to Epcot for EMH and hit Soarin', Test Track, Mexico, and Norway, then back home.

Next up - today's fun...... :banana:

Singingmom, glad to hear you are having a great trip! Thanks for the live reporting! I really enjoy it! Enjoy the rest of your trip!! popcorn::

Thanks SingingMom for taking the time to post on your vacation!! Love reading the live reports!!!!!! Less than a week for us!!!!!!!

This may be an obvious question/answer...but, how do you find out if you are upgraded? We booked a standard view room at Swan, arriving in 2 weeks...can't see any place where an upgrade would be noted. Did this happen within a week of your arrival date?

TIA!:)

I know it's supposed to be an automatic if you're an SPG member, but I never want to check before I get there. I'm just sooo excited to be at the Dolphin. Anything extra I figure is part of the magic. I'm so excited to be there with my friend in 1.5 weeks!!!! She has no idea what she's getting into. All she knows is we got a great teacher rate, but I can tell she doesn't think we could be getting all that much for that price.

My favorite restaurant is the BlueZoo at the Dolphin.
DisneyVacation2009035.jpg

DisneyVacation2009038.jpg

Ozzieways - what is that seafood dish in the first picture? It looks fabulous!!!

It's me again - live from the Dolphin! :cool1:

Friday took me to the Java Bar at the Swan for breakfast "to go" as my slowpokes got ready. This was the first time in 5 years I had tried it and I'm sorry it took me so long! It's more like a "Starbucks" than regular hotel offering, and since DD and I are Starbucks junkies, it was great! :woohoo: Wish I had made my way across the walk sooner! Scones, cinnamon buns, bagels, and iced chai later, I was back at the room, hustling my gang to Animal Kingdom.

What a terrific day! Everything was "planning perfect" without really going crazy making plans. lol Fast passes for the safari, then directly to Expedition Everest. DD had been BEGGING me to ride for four years, so I finally gave in and rode with them. Not once but TWICE! Lots of fun.!:yay:

On to the safari - most animals we have ever seen. Tremendous! Ran for fast passes for EE, then on to Kahli Rapids, where we got SOAKED. Not just wet, but SOAKED! Drip dried on another EE ride and then we were hungry! Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ (another first for us) was delicious. I was very surprised for "counter service". Again, sorry we hadn't tried it in previous years!

Dinoland and Primeval Whirl was next (and it got stuck right after we rode, yikes! ) then the Lion King and back to the Dolphin. And if it's afternoon at the Dolphin, that means a dip in the Grotto Pool (and a mai tai) You get the routine, now right?!.....

Next up - our dinner at Il Mulino!....

Thanks for posting these updates Singing Mom.

I am looking forward to my first Swan stay in September.

This whole thread has just great hints!

what rental car company is located near the dolphin? We will be at an off site location before going to the dolphin and I want to get rid of our car once we check in on site at disney. Also... any recommendations for limo pick ups for the airport?
Thanks!

what rental car company is located near the dolphin? We will be at an off site location before going to the dolphin and I want to get rid of our car once we check in on site at disney. Also... any recommendations for limo pick ups for the airport?
Thanks!

Alamo and National. Hertz is at Shades of Green as well, not as convenient, but an option.

Just back from nine nights at the Swan. It was our first visit there, and we liked it very much. Thanks to everyone on this board for the ample info and advice and for reassuring me about our decision to stay there.

Sorry if this has been asked, but can you have Bday cakes delivered to the room at the Dolphin? I've seen the cake threads, but from what I can see delivery is for Disney resorts.

I'd love to have a Bday cake waiting for my friend when we get there.

Thanks for any info.

I know a birthday cake can be delivered.. I am just not sure how it is done. You might call and ask... my husband parents had a cake delivered for him and they were not even with us at Disney.

By the cake was really good!!! They brought it up on a room service cart with plates and napkins and drinks it was really nice!

:)

You can order a cake from S/D that can be delivered to your room.

My grandson will be celebrating his birthday on our arrival day (less than 2 weeks :cool1: ) and I asked about a cake for him.

I stopped asking when they told me they start at $75 plus fees and taxes and honestly, it didn't sound like it would be anything special.

Here's the response I got-

"our cakes start at $75 plus tax, delivery fee and inscription fee, this is the smallest cake that the Swan and Dolphin Resort offers which is a 10” cake, we do have larger cakes if needed. When ordering I will need to know the flavor of cake, flavor of icing and if you want something written on the cake. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance."

I have a couple of questions, so please forgive me...

1. I'm getting conflicting information from several sources, but does anyone know if I can convert AMEX points into SPG points? I have about 17,500 SPG points and 25,000 AMEX points, I was wondering if I can score a couple of free nights at the Swan....

If that's not possible....

2. Does anyone know what the actual rack rates are right now at the Swan and Dolphin? I saw on their website that they are offering half off of the rack rates with the redemption of 1,000 SPG points. Was wondering if it's worth it...

Presently, I have a reservation at the Wilderness Lodge from Aug. 16-22 and with AP discount I'm paying $165 a night. At first I was stoked to be staying at a Disney resort for the first time in my life, but I realized that I love the location of the Swan and Dolphin sooo much more.

I know that SPG is offering free nights with 10,000 points, but I would love to see what else is out there. Thanks so much for the help, can't wait to be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter