The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're going to Disney World .... again!!! This time we're staying at the Swan. Just booked the AP rate for 9/22 - 10/2, which was $149/nite++.

Questions for my seasoned Swan/Dolphin-ers: (1) is this about the best rate? (2) I homeschool and I found the teacher rate online for $139 but when I called directly the agent said it doesn't apply to homeschoolers.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks all! Now I am going to update my siggy!!!

We're going to Disney World .... again!!! This time we're staying at the Swan. Just booked the AP rate for 9/22 - 10/2, which was $149/nite++.

Questions for my seasoned Swan/Dolphin-ers: (1) is this about the best rate? (2) I homeschool and I found the teacher rate online for $139 but when I called directly the agent said it doesn't apply to homeschoolers.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks all! Now I am going to update my siggy!!!

Aurora - This thread recently had another homeschooler with the same issue. Unfortunately, she was told the same thing. Unless you have a paystub or ID to prove you are a teacher, they will not consider you for teaching. As a teacher and parent, I could never do the what you do, so you definitely deserve a reward. I'm guessing that since anyone could claim to be a homeschooler, they can't open this up to that. Sorry.

If she has a school ID or a paystub, then she would qualify for the teacher rate.

Aurora - do you have papers from the city or town you live in stating that you homeschool? If so, then you should have the necessary papers. My understanding is that if you have permission from your school district from submitting your child's curriculum, you should qualify as a homeschooler. If so, then call the S/D back and tell them you do have the homeschooling papers/permits and ask if they will accept that.

Needafix, thank you for your kind reply. Luckily I have an AP so I can still get a great rate with that.

As a homeschooler to only one, I often wonder how teachers do it with 30+. Thank you for all you do to give your kids what they need, and hopefully a teensy dose of Disney too.

Thank you, again!

Aurora - do you have papers from the city or town you live in stating that you homeschool? If so, then you should have the necessary papers. My understanding is that if you have permission from your school district from submitting your child's curriculum, you should qualify as a homeschooler. If so, then call the S/D back and tell them you do have the homeschooling papers/permits and ask if they will accept that.

Lovingthemouse, thank you for adding this information. I didn't scroll all the way down before I replied to Needafix. I do have an authorization from the State saying that I'm a homeschooler. I'll call back and talk to someone local and see if they can help me.

Again, to you and all my DIS friends, thank you for being so helpful and kind!

I am soooooo excited. After a long time away from my favorite resorts I am proud to say we are going back to the Dolphin in October!:banana:
Just had to share my joy with all of my fellow S/D lovers! Can't wait to be back HOME!

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:
Good for you!!!!!!!! Hope you and the family are doing well! Can't believe it's going to be FIVE YEARS this June since our "DisMeet"!! :hug:

I saw several blow-ups in the pools but I'm not sure if they brought their own or if they rented them at the towel kiosk. You could get towels for free with a room key but the other toys were a charge. Since we didn't have kids I didn't really pay attention to the price.

I have, in the past, seen guests use inflatables that were not available for rent at the pool.
I don't know if it's still allowed, but it has been in the past.

Five years ago (lol) we purchased an inflatable that was available at the towel kiosk. It was cheaper than renting it. :goodvibes DD loved it so much we ended up deflating it and flying home with it! It lasted four years in the backyard pool - one of her favorites. :cool1: In recent years, I know children have been in the pools with inflatables, but didn't notice if they were selling/renting at the kiosk.

We have our heart set on booking the Dolphon for May 2011 BUT I just read on another thread that the pool is really cold. It kinda scares me. The kids won't care, my DH won't care, but I CAN'T STAND COLD!! Will I hate it? Is it REALLY that cold? :eek:

The lap pool was quite warm (must be heated) but the main pool was frigid. Keep in mind though that it was only March when we were there and one of the coldest winters ever in Florida. On our last day the temps got into the mid-80's and with the heat of the sun, the pool felt refreshing for a quick cool-down. I would guess by May it will be a nice, chilly temperature. I think I'd prefer it a bit cold rather than the bathtub temperature of the Pop Century pool last June. There was absolutely no relief from the scorching heat!

We have our heart set on booking the Dolphon for May 2011 BUT I just read on another thread that the pool is really cold. It kinda scares me. The kids won't care, my DH won't care, but I CAN'T STAND COLD!! Will I hate it? Is it REALLY that cold? :eek:

I never heard that, and I didn't have that experience when I went the end of May. Plus, May can get so hot you'd appreciate the chance to jump into cool water. I can't imagine the hot weather wouldn't have it plenty warmed by May even if the pool was cool other times of the year.

I've been to S/D in Sept, Dec (twice) and February & have never experienced a cold pool! Of course it's all a matter of personal preference - some people won't swim in water unless it's bath temperature, others enjoy frigid temps! I wouldn't let that one person's posts worry you. They've posted on several boards about it, I'm not sure what they want to accomplish by complaining now. If it was that big of an issue to them they should have spoken to management while they were there.

I have been pricing out resorts for a possible vacation this August. I see you are a big Dolphin fan. I stayed there once for a convention and was looking into the S/D as a possibility as I love that area and my family has never stayed there. I was leaning toward the Swan over the Dolphin mostly due to the Queen beds (my kids are 16 and 19) vs the doubles in the Dolphin. I'd love to get your take on both resorts. Thanks!

I have been pricing out resorts for a possible vacation this August. I see you are a big Dolphin fan. I stayed there once for a convention and was looking into the S/D as a possibility as I love that area and my family has never stayed there. I was leaning toward the Swan over the Dolphin mostly due to the Queen beds (my kids are 16 and 19) vs the doubles in the Dolphin. I'd love to get your take on both resorts. Thanks!

I'm not singingmom, but I'm bored and would also like to answer your concerns. I've stayed in both and most of us will agree, the difference in the bed size is negligible. The Dolphin beds are bigger than a normal double. I sleep on a queen at home and don't notice the difference when I stay at the Dolphin.

The question as to which one to choose has been discussed many times and we're all basically split on this thread. Swan usually wins if you like a quieter, more laid back feel. Dolphin has a bit more action - it also has Picabu's, the game room, etc. I pick the Dolphin every time, but if it was booked and I had to take Swan, I'd be happy with that also.

I'm not singingmom, but I'm bored and would also like to answer your concerns. I've stayed in both and most of us will agree, the difference in the bed size is negligible. The Dolphin beds are bigger than a normal double. I sleep on a queen at home and don't notice the difference when I stay at the Dolphin.

The question as to which one to choose has been discussed many times and we're all basically split on this thread. Swan usually wins if you like a quieter, more laid back feel. Dolphin has a bit more action - it also has Picabu's, the game room, etc. I pick the Dolphin every time, but if it was booked and I had to take Swan, I'd be happy with that also.

"I'm not SingingMom", but I play her on the DisBoards..."..... :lmao:
Needafix did a good job of answering for me! :goodvibes

My DH and I have a queen size at home, and we really do not feel the Dolphin's double is much different. I believe they advertise them somewhere as "double plus" or something like that. lol

Again - TOTAL PERSONAL PREFERENCE is what I think plays the role of picking the Dolphin over the Swan. We like the hussle and bussle, people watching with a espresso martini in the comfy lobby, having Picabu's available 24 hours a day, even though I don't know that we've used it past 1am. We really like the area around the Cabana Bar and somehow I just get the feeling the Grotto Pool is part of the Dolphin, with the Swan having visiting privledges. ;) (just kidding...:laughing: )

Either place you stay - it's the LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION that will have you keep coming back!!! :cheer2:

"I'm not SingingMom", but I play her on the DisBoards..."..... :lmao:
Needafix did a good job of answering for me! :goodvibes

My DH and I have a queen size at home, and we really do not feel the Dolphin's double is much different. I believe they advertise them somewhere as "double plus" or something like that. lol

Again - TOTAL PERSONAL PREFERENCE is what I think plays the role of picking the Dolphin over the Swan. We like the hussle and bussle, people watching with a espresso martini in the comfy lobby, having Picabu's available 24 hours a day, even though I don't know that we've used it past 1am. We really like the area around the Cabana Bar and somehow I just get the feeling the Grotto Pool is part of the Dolphin, with the Swan having visiting privledges. ;) (just kidding...:laughing: )

Either place you stay - it's the LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION that will have you keep coming back!!! :cheer2:

How did I know you would mention the espresso martini ;)

I happen to agree with everything everyone has said including the Grotto pool. When we stayed at the Swan I felt like it was far away (relatively speaking). When we stay at the Dolphin it feels like it is much more a part of that resort. It might be that our first visit was to the Dolphin, but I prefer that hotel. I would also have no problem at all staying at the Swan if the Dolphin were booked and also find no difference in bed size. IMHO you would be happy at either one!

I also agree that you do not notice size difference from a Queen, they are "deluxe" doubles, so they are larger than a normal double. For those concerned about the pool, I liek a pool to be * bath water* temp, lol,,,,, so I have yet to find a pool REALLY warm enough for me anywhere, but there is a hot tub in the health club part of the resort( or at least there WAS the last time we stayed) it is a large tub and I did frequent it. I swam in the Grotto pool tho, and we will be there this J une and I am looking forward to taking a dip for sure, at ALL the pools and hot tub!

I am one of those who prefers the Swan. I have stayed at the Dolphin several times, and do like the smaller size of the Swan. If you like the activity, hustle bustle as mentioned above, then the Dolphin would probably be a better choice. And the restaurant choices, laundry are located in the Dolphin, so maybe closer there. But, with its size, I know there are rooms in the Dolphin that are actually further from those than rooms in the Swan. I usually visit the Dolphin at least once a day while staying at the Swan, it is a 2 minute walk on the walkway between the two. And as said, both are great. :thumbsup2

Here is a decent view of both.....

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?org=aj&FORM=Z9LH8#/3yxcsk6k49mp2fy0

You can click on the arrow on the left to open the map up more and then you can also drag to see other areas. Use controls at bottom center to zoom in/out, rotate, etc.

I'm with Dan on preferring the Swan. I have never used the pools at the S/D, so I don't care if the Grotto pool is farther or the water is cold! The Swan is closer to the Boardwalk as I walk to Epcot, and the buses to the MK and AK stop there first. The Swan has a much better bathroom layout, with a sink inside and outside the bathroom. The Dolphin does have the winning lobby, especially at holiday time. However, I don't sleep in the lobby! :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter