• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reluctantly, I am leaving this thread. Recent July deals made a stay at WL cheaper than my Teacher rate at the Dolphin. Just couldn't pass up the WL. Maybe next time, S/D!

Reluctantly, I am leaving this thread. Recent July deals made a stay at WL cheaper than my Teacher rate at the Dolphin. Just couldn't pass up the WL. Maybe next time, S/D!

Why do you have to leave the thread just because you're staying at WL.:confused3 I switched my March ressies to BC for several reasons, but none that knock S/D out of my top 2 fav. resorts at Disney. Luckily, I will be at S/D in July, but does that mean I have to leave this thread until after my March trip? :cool1:

All this Dolphin talk has made me really excited for our upcoming trip - and the 18 inches of snow we got yesterday is really making me want to be in FL! My parents are there now & it's been chilly - highs in the mid 50's - but I'll take that over this!

Singing Mom - love your FIVE-PEAT! This is my S/D FOUR-PEAT LOL!! I just can't stay away...

Why do you have to leave the thread just because you're staying at WL.:confused3 I switched my March ressies to BC for several reasons, but none that knock S/D out of my top 2 fav. resorts at Disney. Luckily, I will be at S/D in July, but does that mean I have to leave this thread until after my March trip? :cool1:

It was more of a symbolic "leaving here to go to the WL resort thread". Still hope to get to S/D someday!

Of course not! :lmao: We are one big happy family who love to chat about our beloved Dolphin & Swan! :dance3:

Phew!!! I was afraid some of the meanies from some other threads were going to ruin my time on this one! :lmao:

Please share your WL deal that is better than the teacher rate!

I actually switched to BC in March b/c it was cheaper even though I had teacher rate at the Dolphin. I wasn't able to get a standard room, so the teacher rate on the balcony/view room was getting up there, and there are 5 of us so that's an additional $25/night for a trundle. By the time I added in the $10/day charge and shuttle from MCO the cost was cheaper at BC.

Trust me, it wasn't an easy choice for me. The deciding factor was that BC rooms already have daybeds. I was concerned a trundle in the Dolphin would make the room really cramped. Plus, we've never stayed at BC and since I'll be at Dolphin for a longer stay in July we figured now was the time to try it out.

jumping in here..confused..:confused: you are at BC in March for less than the Dolphin, but then switching from the Dolphin in July to WL for less than the Dolphin? I am all for the best deals and have the trundle issue as well, but just as imprtantly we prefer interior coridoors.
Would you mind sharing the rate you have for W/L in July vs your Dolphin rate?
I currently have a June AAA rate of 152 @ the Dolphin, then roughly 22 a night for resort fee and parking, and then the 25 roll-a-way fee. We are after the DHS location for SWW...but are flexible for other days if we can get a deal.
Don't bail on the S/D thread :hippie: it's such a nice place to be!

I did a split stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge last December. While it was nice to try two deluxe resorts during value season, and I especially enjoyed WL at holiday time, I missed my beloved Swan.

I'll look forward to spending my birthday week at the Swan in April. :woohoo:

jumping in here..confused..:confused: you are at BC in March for less than the Dolphin, but then switching from the Dolphin in July to WL for less than the Dolphin? I am all for the best deals and have the trundle issue as well, but just as imprtantly we prefer interior coridoors.
Would you mind sharing the rate you have for W/L in July vs your Dolphin rate?
I currently have a June AAA rate of 152 @ the Dolphin, then roughly 22 a night for resort fee and parking, and then the 25 roll-a-way fee. We are after the DHS location for SWW...but are flexible for other days if we can get a deal.
Don't bail on the S/D thread :hippie: it's such a nice place to be!

Sorry about the confusion. Someone else is switching to WL b/c they got a better price then teacher rate at Dolphin. Another poster wanted to know how it was possible to get a Disney rate better than the S/D teacher rate.

I was explaining how I switched my March ressies from teacher rate at Dolphin to BC b/c I got a better rate at BC with my AP. The reason I got a better rate is at Dolphin I had to take an upgraded room, pay for transportation and trundle bed. By the time I added all those things up, it was cheaper to take a standard BC room where transportation and trundle is already included in the price.

I love Dolphin, so I was disappointed to not be there in March, but luckily I"ll be going back in July and will be staying at Dolphin then. :hippie: There's no way anyone will beat my standard room teacher rate for July.:worship:

I think Disney resorts also make you pay for parking, so that part would be a wash, so basically you're getting a deluxe room for $187/night ($152 room, + resort fee and trundle). You'll be hard pressed to beat that rate for a deluxe at Disney!

Even with my teacher discount my Dolphin rate was almost $280/night (by time I added everything - except taxes) because they didn't have discounted standard rooms left. With annual pass, I got BC for a tiny bit less and the kids talked me into trying BC since we've never tried it before.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion!

I think Disney resorts also make you pay for parking, so that part would be a wash, so basically you're getting a deluxe room for $187/night ($152 room, + resort fee and trundle). You'll be hard pressed to beat that rate for a deluxe at Disney!

Disney resort guests get free parking.

Disney resort guests get free parking.

Thanks NancyIL - that's what I get from mostly staying at S/D.

Sorry Finfan, then you need to add in the parking to the Dolphin price, but I still don't think you're going to come close to your S/D rate with a Disney deluxe. Maybe close at WL, but if you need a trundle like we do, then you're out of luck with WL too.

Bottom Line, if you're comparing apples-to-apples (deluxe standard room) with their many discount programs, S/D has ALWAYS had, by far, the best rate for us.

Thanks NancyIL - that's what I get from mostly staying at S/D.

Sorry Finfan, then you need to add in the parking to the Dolphin price, but I still don't think you're going to come close to your S/D rate with a Disney deluxe. Maybe close at WL, but if you need a trundle like we do, then you're out of luck with WL too.

Bottom Line, if you're comparing apples-to-apples (deluxe standard room) with their many discount programs, S/D has ALWAYS had, by far, the best rate for us.

Just to let you know...WL is about $120 more for our late May/June trip with the 40%...We too loved our Swan stay and i was considering switching with some of the deals S/D has going but for now i have left it because DD9 requested the WL (it will be our first stay there). Does anyone have any other better rates than what's on their website? I do not qualify for teacher discounts.

thanks

Hi-

I CAN'T read 125 pages to find an answer to my questions! But only three questions, I promise!

First, I see that S/D rooms have minibars; is there a usable refrigerator rather than an "honor" one that charges every time you move something?

Second- The room plan I found shows that king rooms have what appears to be a sofabed (outline of sofa with dotted pull-out lines). True, or is it an upgraded room?

Third- The room description of the beds at the Swan say their double beds are only 1 inch narrower than a queen bed. Is this true, or do they mean 1 FOOT narrower? Big difference...

OK thanks for your patience and help. Now that I qualify for the teacher discount :woohoo: a S/D stay is a definite consideration. I have always wanted to stay in a Boardwalk area resort but the prices! Oh my! :scared1: S/D could be just what we are looking for!

Hi leebee. :wave2:

First, I see that S/D rooms have minibars; is there a usable refrigerator rather than an "honor" one that charges every time you move something? Both S and D have mini fridges, minibars are gone

Second- The room plan I found shows that king rooms have what appears to be a sofabed (outline of sofa with dotted pull-out lines). True, or is it an upgraded room? The sofas are sofabeds

Third- The room description of the beds at the Swan say their double beds are only 1 inch narrower than a queen bed. Is this true, or do they mean 1 FOOT narrower? Not sure, I always have a king

Hi leebee. :wave2:
I was under the impression that the Swan had queens while the Dolhpin has doubles. :confused3 Maybe the 'queens' at the swan are what they are saying are only 1" smaller since that would pretty much line up w/queen size. (who is going to notice 1"?) But I'll definitely notice going from a king bed at home to a double. Some folks on this thread have said even the doubles at the dolphin are not really true doubles but a little larger.
Not sure why the mattress industry makes all these wonky sized beds! :confused3:rotfl: Why can't we just have standard size king, queen, double, twin???? What would be so hard about that?? :confused:
I too, booked elsewhere....dh couldn't be convinced to go to the Dolphin as he wants to be completely immersed in the disney magic. He thinks the D will be just another fancy hotel. :confused3 I guess since there will be no hidden mickeys or cm's w/badges and that can do disney grin, he thinks it might not be as magical. And the bed issue concerned him too.
I was looking fwd to the whole Epcot proximity and being able to get to the F&WF but since I am outvoted, we will be at the WL and AKL. I can't seem to unsub from here though! :cutie:

I was under the impression that the Swan had queens while the Dolhpin has doubles. :confused3 Maybe the 'queens' at the swan are what they are saying are only 1" smaller since that would pretty much line up w/queen size. (who is going to notice 1"?) But I'll definitely notice going from a king bed at home to a double. Some folks on this thread have said even the doubles at the dolphin are not really true doubles but a little larger.
Not sure why the mattress industry makes all these wonky sized beds! :confused3:rotfl: Why can't we just have standard size king, queen, double, twin???? What would be so hard about that?? :confused:
I too, booked elsewhere....dh couldn't be convinced to go to the Dolphin as he wants to be completely immersed in the disney magic. He thinks the D will be just another fancy hotel. :confused3 I guess since there will be no hidden mickeys or cm's w/badges and that can do disney grin, he thinks it might not be as magical. And the bed issue concerned him too.
I was looking fwd to the whole Epcot proximity and being able to get to the F&WF but since I am outvoted, we will be at the WL and AKL. I can't seem to unsub from here though! :cutie:

The beds are queens at the Swan and doubles at the Dolphin. How much larger than normal doubles I don't recall, as I've never stayed in a dbl/dbl at the Dolphin.

The Swan/Dolphin are fancy hotels, and I like fancy hotels! They tend to have fewer children staying there, and that's just fine with me.

Please share your WL deal that is better than the teacher rate!

The july teacher rate I had, plus tax, plus parking, plus resort fees would have totaled roughly $1330 for our 7 days. Our TA, with the new July discounts they just rolled out, booked us room only at WL for $1229. It was tough, because we actually could've gone POFQ for just over $1000. But, we figured we were budgeted for the Dolphin, so went Disney Deluxe @ WL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter