• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-a strange (bad) food smell in the central elevator area, especially down on the first and lobby levels. my 7 year old said it smelled like beans. :confused3

:rotfl:That's funny! My older daughter and I were just talking today about all the resorts that we have stayed at. She was remembering that the Dolphin elevators always smelled liked someone had peed in there.:confused3

Gretchen

I am enjoying this post and it's helped me a great deal in my planning! I have 2 questions that I'm hoping can be answered.

Firstly, My BF and I will be staying at the Dolphin for 3 nights for our anniversary beginning tomorrow...I booked through Travelocity and after reading the posts about upgrades, I want one (cheeky!)! But I'm not hopeful because of my booking being through Travelocity and not through the hotel itself...keeping my expectations in check, i certainly don't expect anything.

Second, does the Dolphin offer robes in the room?

Okay, we are so excited, but also a little worried. We just booked 5 nights at the Swan using Starwood points for Dec. 28-Jan. 2. We are DVC members and are staying 2 nights at SSR before (all they had since this is last minute for DVC).

Okay, I am worried because of CROWDS of course, but I know to expect them. After reading here I am worried about the view we'll get since we are using point, but I did tell the kids..."hey, it's free! So whateve..."

I do have a couple of questions. Does the kids club still offer 2 hours of free time if you eat at one of the their signature restuarants? They did when we stayed there a few years ago. Also, I have read that Picabu's offers the 20%off for AAA, but does Fresh or the Fountain? One more, can we upgrade view for extra points and if so, how many?? I know the signatures don't. Thanks for any input you can give us.

We are staying there the same days from the 27th to the 2nd too on points and we upgraded to a balcony room with resort view for 1000 pts additional per night. Still a question as to weather we will be able to see the parks, but at least we won't be looking at the parking lot or the air conditioning unit.

Okay, we are so excited, but also a little worried. We just booked 5 nights at the Swan using Starwood points for Dec. 28-Jan. 2. We are DVC members and are staying 2 nights at SSR before (all they had since this is last minute for DVC).

Okay, I am worried because of CROWDS of course, but I know to expect them. After reading here I am worried about the view we'll get since we are using point, but I did tell the kids..."hey, it's free! So whateve..."

I do have a couple of questions. Does the kids club still offer 2 hours of free time if you eat at one of the their signature restuarants? They did when we stayed there a few years ago. Also, I have read that Picabu's offers the 20%off for AAA, but does Fresh or the Fountain? One more, can we upgrade view for extra points and if so, how many?? I know the signatures don't. Thanks for any input you can give us.

Fresh & Fountain do offer the AAA discount. At least they did in June. :goodvibes

what's better using the online service or calling? I'm thinking calling right?
I'm not getting any dates when I plug in the code for teachers to get the discount. Do you think that is because (a) the system doesn't work well for codes or (b) the rooms are already booked for 2010 and 2011?

:confused3

Thanks so much for the responses! I may have to see about upgrading for 1000 points per night!

I'm not getting any dates when I plug in the code for teachers to get the discount. Do you think that is because (a) the system doesn't work well for codes or (b) the rooms are already booked for 2010 and 2011?

I always prefer to human to human contact... lol:goodvibes

This was the year we were not going and now we are trying to figure out how to go, lol..

Two years age we stayed at The Beach Club, last year had a fabulous trip, because I won $5000 GC from expedia...

This year we still have 3 park days per person, and REALLY want to stay in the Epcot area, so it looks like The Dolphin. I'd rather stay at The Swan, Queen sized beds, but we need a cot as we have a teenaged son and an 11 year old daughter.

Best rates I have seen are $160.00....but then I keep seeing a save 35% after one night, anyone know how this works...

I just called to confirm my ressie and I was told that I was upgraded to a resort view asa starwood member. What is this and should I still request a balcony or fireworks view at checkin? I guess I'm not
looking at the dumpster right?

I just called to confirm my ressie and I was told that I was upgraded to a resort view asa starwood member. What is this and should I still request a balcony or fireworks view at checkin? I guess I'm not
looking at the dumpster right?

I'd still request the balcony at check in - but that's me. :goodvibes I LOVE a balcony! :cool1:

Just returned from the Dolphin (9/26 - 10/4) and all I can say is WOW! It's be a while since we've been there, and all I can say is that this resort was wonderful! For the price, we definitely got what we paid for, and more.

We booked a balcony room, and my only request was a high floor. Last time we were in the east wing with a fireworks view (but were not in the room one night to see the fireworks from the balcony). This time we were in the west wing on the 9th floor Rm. 9177 with a view of the pools & DHS. I absolutely loved the location & view. We were at the pool every afternoon, and picking up something at Picabo almost every day. And the west elevators were right there. Their pool complex is gorgeous! I spent many a morning and evening on the balcony admiring the amazing view.

We pretty much ate our way around the food and wine festival almost every day, so we didn't dine in any of the Dolphin restaurants other than Picabo the first night we arrived. They have a loaded baked potato for $5.50 that is a meal in itself. They offer more toppings than I have ever heard of for a restaurant potato. The rooms were very nice. Much larger than I had remembered. Good amount of counter space by the sink, and it was nice having the other counter area & mirror over the refrigerator cabinet. They have a magnified pull out mirror attached to the wall, so I didn't need to bring one. Lots of drawer space, too.

They gave us a list, when we checked in, of the items that could be brought in for the fridge. I thought this was a great idea. The fridge is empty, so if you want any of the mini-bar stuff added, you just let them know. We made a grocery stop on the way for bottled water, breakfast stuff and snacks.
The $10 per day Resort Service Pkg. included:
60 min. local & toll free calls
health club
internet access
2 bottles of water per day
The tags on the water were a little misleading. Saying something about the water being $2 per bottle if you don't have the resort pkg. But, everyone is charged for the resort service pkg. So I wonder how many people don't drink the water, thinking they will be charged for it? Even though we bought a case of water, we still drank the two bottles each day. Only had one bottle left at the end.Didn't use the health club or internet access, but the 60 min. of phone calls came in handy when I kept trying to track down my lost luggage. I was the only one who checked a bag, and EVERYTHING was in that bag. It was finally delivered the following night. So, I was decked out in disney duds from the gift shop the first day.

We hit the parks each morning at rope drop, then had lunch and went back to the hotel for the pool or a nap each day. Most afternoons when we arrived back at around 3:00 pm the rooms weren't made up yet. So, several days we just asked for towels and skipped the housekeeping service. They said we could tell them one time when we wanted the room cleaned by for the week, but that only worked one day. Next time I'll do a reminder call each morning before we leave the room.

There were tubes and floaties you could rent at the pool, but I'm not sure of the price. Pools are so big, they were never crowded.

This resort has the fastest elevators I've ever seen (at least they were in the west wing). I don't think we ever waited more than 10 seconds each time.

The bell desk has a scale, so they were able to weigh my suitcase before we left to make sure I wasn't over the airline's max.

I didn't at all feel like I wasn't at a disney resort. Sure, there aren't any characters there, but there is disney merchandise in the gift shop, and once you step outside you are steps away from the boat or the boardwalk.

We originally had the BC booked through the bounceback with free dining, but when a couple of our family couldn't make it, it just wasn't cost effective to stay there with only 3 of us. This was the first year we haven't had free dining since they started it and it didn't bother us one bit. We booked several new places to eat, and didn't eat nearly as much as we did with the dining plan.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Dolphin. I highly recommend it for anyone traveling to WDW. :):):)

LWCalif - thanks for your recap! I'm so happy you had a great stay! :cool1:
I did not know about the bell captain's scale, we will check into that in June! (this past June, we were swapping things out of one suitcase into the other at the JetBlue counter in the airport. :rolleyes1)

For future reference - call as you vacate the room in the morning if you would like it to be made up before you get back. This worked wonderfully for us on our Blizzard Beach days. ;)

And, I did not know Picabu had stuffed baked potatoes! Will have to try that next June, too! :thumbsup2

I just called and booked for July 2010 and got a teacher rate of 149.00. I had originally booked online and couldn't plug in a code for teachers, so I had to use the AAA discount. Didn't even come close to the teacher rate and I'm so glad I called! The reservations person at the Dolphin was sooooo nice and changed my original booking to reflect the new rate. On the Dreams Unlimited site after trying to plug in the teacher discount it said that the discount rates aren't out past May, 2010. So I would definately advise calling - it saved me $600.00! Love the Dolphin! Now, I'm waiting for annual passholder rates for the Poly for just after our Dolphin stay!

Nice review, LW, makes me homesick. I think these resorts are hands down great.

About 2 months left for me. :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter