• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
3xthejoy,

When we stayed at the Dolphin Christmas 2005, we had this exact room. It looked out over the rotunda below....no views, but we didn't mind. We had soooo much room, it was great! Do you remember what classification of suite this room was? We were upgraded to this room from a standard room as Starwood members.

Elaine

Just curious, did you request the upgrade, or did they see your Starwood membership on your ressie and offer it themselves?? We are staying at the Dolphin in June as Starwood Members, and I always feel awkward asking for things like this, but I will if I have to.

Mamagoose, I, too felt awkward about asking for upgrades. I had never done it. It never crossed my mind to ask. I thought it wasn't the correct thing to do. Then, 2002 when I came across the S/D thread and planning my first stay there, the wonderful people here encouraged me to "just do it"!

So, I have done "it" for all my S/D stays and they have been wonderful in upgrading each and every stay. I am starwood member and do have the AMEX Starwood card.

SO, my advice to you...."just do it". :goodvibes The worst that can happen is that they might politely decline the request.

We have stayed at the Dolphin on several trips. We have NEVER asked to be upgraded, never thought to do so as I didn't think it was right. However, since being Starwood Preferred guests, we have always been given a balcony room at check-in , w/o paying for the upgrade. I believe they do it automatically. Wondering if anyone has ever been ugraded to something nicer...perhaps a suite?

anbouk, on my 2005 stay at the Swan, we were upgraded to a junior suite with balcony. It was an awesome surprise when the CM asked us at check-in if a junior suite upgrade (no charge) was acceptable.

Ummm....sure... it's okay!:thumbsup2

MT - what are you doing up on a no school day and posting so early in the morning?????? :laughing:
I did send out a second polite email to the Dolphin yesterday, basically saying the same thing as my first email a few weeks back. Hopefully they will respond and give us an upgrade.
This is my first trip back to WDW since my DH passed some months ago, and the Dolphin was a special place to stay. Since my friends have never been there, I was hoping for a magical stay (with a great view) for all of us. Can just taste those incredible omelets down in Fresh and Louis' famous chocolate chip pancakes!!

:rotfl:Caroline, I was up early grocery shopping and cleaning my house in preparation for hosting Easter dinner. No rest for the weary!

I am sure the S/D will give you an upgrade so that it will indeed be a magical time. I am sure, too, the history of your stays is in their system and they do reward return visitora.

So glad I found this thread. We're going to the Dolphin for the first time in a week and a half. This information is so helpful.

Hi TaraPA! :wave:

Hi Carolyn/phillytwins!!! I can't wait to hear all about your 1st Dolphin trip. I hope you find it as magical as the rest of us! Did you see the threads about MK - closed for part of the last FOUR days in a row, full to capactiy - yikes...I'm sure til you're down there the Easter/Spring Break crowds will be gone.

If you haven't signed up to be a Starwood member yet do it right away - great free upgrades when they're available!

Glad to find this thread. I've been reading the boards for awhile now and just joined. We're staying at the Swan the first week of May for 7 nights on points. One of the perks of a traveling husband. With the Starwood program, depending on your level, you should be upgraded automatically if you're gold or platinum. :)

I'm hoping a suite is available for us when we check in. For those who have stayed in the past, I know the hotel was refurbished, but it still looks a bit outdated, is it the colors? Am I going to be happy there? I know I'm not paying for it, but I still expect a good room from a Starwood property.

Can't wait to go, 3 weeks from tomorrow!!

Hey Tara - Yes, I read about the MK being closed! That has me worried, but I'm hoping it will get better by the time we get there. I just can't wait to stay near the Boardwalk and check out the Dolphin pool. We'll play mini golf and enjoy the pool if the parks are too crowded.

I signed up as a Starwood member soon after you suggested it. I called the Dolphin and gave them my account #. Now do I sit and wait, or make some type of request before I go? Thanks for the tip. Hopefully they'll have something available and I'll get upgraded from limited view!?!

My family and I will be staying at the Dolphin for the first time starting July 1 for 6 nights as part of a dance group. We are Starwood members too. Do you think that our group status will eliminate any chances of an upgrade?

Also, is it true that there is not a refrigerator in any of the rooms? Not even if you pay for one?

The Dolphin has double beds,right? If so, is there a daybed or do you have to purchase a rollaway?

Last question, I was reading about the laudry machine. Does it take dollar bills to convert into the tokens?

Thanks so much! Any must do's or tips like favorite dishes at the Dolphin or Swan hotels would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

With the Starwood program, depending on your level, you should be upgraded automatically if you're gold or platinum. :)

There are only free upgrades if there is availability. Keep in mind Swan & Dolphin are convention hotels, and are often full to capactiy, therefore no better rooms may be available. We're Starwood Gold & this happened to us both in 2000 and 2007. In 2007 we had a room overlooking the dumpster area! In 2008 we had an upgrade to a deluxe room with a balcony. Hopefully there will be something nice available for your stay!

My family and I will be staying at the Dolphin for the first time starting July 1 for 6 nights as part of a dance group. We are Starwood members too. Do you think that our group status will eliminate any chances of an upgrade?

Are the rooms booked as a group (with one leader checking in), or just under a group rate?
If you can put your SPG# on your individual room reservation, I don't see how being part of a group would affect your chances of an upgrade on your individual room.

Also, is it true that there is not a refrigerator in any of the rooms? Not even if you pay for one?

The Dolphin has double beds,right? If so, is there a daybed or do you have to purchase a rollaway?

The Dolphin does not have refrigerators in the rooms, but you can request a refrigerator for the room. There is a rental fee.

Standard rooms at the Dolphin have either 2 double beds (no daybed) or 1 king bed w/sleeper sofa. Rollaways can be rented.

Glad to find this thread. I've been reading the boards for awhile now and just joined. We're staying at the Swan the first week of May for 7 nights on points. One of the perks of a traveling husband. With the Starwood program, depending on your level, you should be upgraded automatically if you're gold or platinum. :)

I'm hoping a suite is available for us when we check in. For those who have stayed in the past, I know the hotel was refurbished, but it still looks a bit outdated, is it the colors? Am I going to be happy there? I know I'm not paying for it, but I still expect a good room from a Starwood property.

Can't wait to go, 3 weeks from tomorrow!!

I think the refurbished rooms at the Swan are quite nice. They are certainly not hip modern like you would find in a "W" property, but I think the decor is nicer than that Ralph Lauren Sheraton look. Is your husband SPG Platinum? If so, as long as there is availability, I've found that both the Swan and Dolphin has been very good with SPG upgrades. The suites.

We have stayed at the Dolphin on several trips. We have NEVER asked to be upgraded, never thought to do so as I didn't think it was right. However, since being Starwood Preferred guests, we have always been given a balcony room at check-in , w/o paying for the upgrade. I believe they do it automatically. Wondering if anyone has ever been ugraded to something nicer...perhaps a suite?

My upgrade experiences have varied a bit, but as my SPG status got better, so did the upgrades. I spent last year working on increasing my # of stays so I would hit Platinum status.

As a Starwood Preferred Plus (basic level, but signup via AAA; entitled to upgrade to better room if available) - Usually upgraded to an upper floor. I don't remember asking at check-in if the upgrade was available.

As a Starwood Preferred Gold (10 stays in calendar year; entitled to upgrade to enhanced room if available) -- Always upgraded to theme park view; a couple of times I got a balcony but I never specifically requested one. When they gave me my room number at check-in, I always asked if my gold upgrade had been available. Sometimes that got my room assignment changed (I think for the better).

As a Starwood Preferred Platinum (25 stays in calendar year; entitled upgrade to best available room (including standard suites but may exclude premium view, presidential, honeymoon, multiple bedroom suites). I've only had three stays since hitting Platinum status. The first two (one Swan, one Dolphin) were made before my status changed and I don't think my pre-arrival information reflected the new status so I asked at check-in if they showed my platinum status on file. At the Swan I asked what they had available for my platinum upgrade and was asked what I was looking for. I opted for a Westin Workout Room since I always wanted to see one. At the Dolphin, the reservation CM offered to see if anything better than what I was auto-assigned was available. I ended up with a Grand Suite. Earlier this year at the Swan I was auto-assigned into a Grand Suite (no balcony) as well.

Availability of room upgrades will depend on the room type you booked (1 vs 2 beds), especially when it comes to suites. I think all the suite parlors have both a 1 King bedroom lockoff and a 2 Queen/Double bedroom lockoff. If you've got a reservation for a 2 Queen/Double room but the only bedroom lockoffs available are 1 King, they won't autoupgrade you into the Suite so it may be worth asking at checkin if your party is flexible with room type.

I thought I read somewhere on the Starwood site that Starwood Preferred (basic) and Starwood Gold cannot be upgraded free to any suites, just better category rooms. Maybe it was just Preferred....and maybe I read it wrong, but I remember seeing that last year.

Phillytwins...I wouldn't do anything now, the staff there hotel will know your Starwood status - they are wonderful there. I always just politely ask at check-in if there are any Starwood upgrades available. Last year when I got the upgrade they already had it done before I asked. The 2 years the hotel was full & we couldn't get an upgrade they were very apologetic. We didn't really care (even when I had the dumpster view!) - we were staying on points anyway & were just happy to be there for free!

I thought I read somewhere on the Starwood site that Starwood Preferred (basic) and Starwood Gold cannot be upgraded free to any suites, just better category rooms. Maybe it was just Preferred....and maybe I read it wrong, but I remember seeing that last year.

You've got it right. Starwood Preferred Basic aren't entitled to any upgrades. Starwood Preferred Plus (the AAA arrangement) and Starwood Preferred Gold are entitled to an upgrade to an "enhanced room" if available. It's a really vague definition and can include a higher floor or a better view.

If you are referring to the suite upgrades I mentioned in my post, I only got those after I hit Platinum status. The auto-assigning didn't happen initially because I was Gold when I made the reservations but I hit Platinum status right before my arrival date so I printed out a temporary card to confirm my new status.

Thanks for all the info on the upgrades. My husband is platinum, so hopefully a suite will be available. Glad to hear the rooms are nice. I wasn't expecting a W, but I just get nervous with pink/teal colors :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter