• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *SEPT 2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, we are so close to getting to the thread 250 page limit. I will just be miserable if we get shut down this weekend! :scared:

How pathetic am I? Maybe my Unofficial Guide I ordered will come tomorrow! :rolleyes1

I have more pics I wanted to post since I finally figured out how to do it! Maybe I will put them on the Poly Pics Thread...

Sea Spay we need you!!!!! I hope you are OK!!! :grouphug:

Since you are staying club level, I'd state your requests to the IPO office in an email. Don't worry about the fax. For instance, I put: first floor, clear view of castle. Next time I'll probably put 3rd floor, but it was nice to not deal with the elevator!

Thanks, juliebee. I've only told them over the phone -- this time I'll send an email just so that it's in writing for them. That's pretty much what I've asked for, although with everything so full up for Easter (and us checking in after everyone else) I'm not expecting to get what I've asked for.

Please let us know how that goes! I'm curious if faxing over the request or online check in is better. I'm tentative to do the online check-in for fear that they won't take longhouse requests!

I hope I'm not intruding on your thread here, and I feel so silly for keeping my eye on it and not introducing myself until now. You guys are giving great information and really getting me geeked up for my next vacation there!!!

Welcome, Tinkerbellie16! Please join the conversation! Everyone here has been so nice & friendly & helpful to me while I've been planning my first stay at the Poly.

I did check out the online check-in because I was curious, and in the place for requests, there were only 2 choices -- one was for a pack-n-play crib and the other was for a room refrigerator at an extra charge!:confused3 This makes no sense to me, since you get both no matter what, at no extra charge. There was no other way to make a request (like for which floor, longhouse, or anything else you could think of). I'm thinking that this is just the beginning and possibly they'll fix it, but as of now, I dont see how you could really request anything (except things that your room already comes with :rotfl:).

BreezysMom -- I'm with you on this one -- I'm afraid that if I post too much the thread will shut down. :sad2: I hope we can get another one going... this thread has been so amazingly helpful for planning our trip. I hope SeaSpray is ok -- she's been so nice & helpful.

I just got the Tikiman email. Turns out he's not closing down the site altogether;merely revamping it.

I just read that also. It is a very nice site, love the music. That was such a mean trick....but has turned out great in the end!!!!!

The site looks more professional and is much quicker to get through. Already have it bookmarked.

I just got the Tikiman email. Turns out he's not closing down the site altogether;merely revamping it.

Ooooh...tell us more! I had just started looking at his site for one day when it closed the next day...I was crushed. Does he say when he'll have it up and running again?

Breezysmom, did you end up posting your pics?

Happy Saturday, everyone :grouphug: I leave three weeks from today! :banana: mmmears, you're 5 days away...so lucky. The days must be dragging by for you!

Happy Saturday!

Tikiman's new site is up and running! :cool1: http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

Looks great too.:goodvibes

Breezysmom, I don't think the thread will automatically shut down at 250. I think the mods have to shut it down and I bet they'll give a little leeway.

Most of all, I hope SeaSpray is well.:hug:

I was wondering how check in works exactly. I have requested Fiji 3rd floor, and I know it's not guaranteed. As you are standing there while they check you in, do they tell you what longhouse they're going to send you to before they actually assign you the room? Can you say, "No, I'd like to know what else is available?" or "Are there any better rooms that might open up later in the day that I'd be willing to wait for?" My only other trip to WDW was back in September at the WL and he told me right away I was being upgraded from standard to courtyard view so I didn't care what room I was being assigned in that instance because I knew I had been sprinkled with pixie dust! :wizard:

When we went in 2007, we checked in early in the AM, around 8:30. They said they had a room available right then, but if we wanted our request (Tokelau), we'd have to wait. We were headed to the MK and didn't need the room, so we waited and got exactly what we requested. We'll arrive around lunchtime this time, fingers crossed!!

Also curious as to how online check-in affects requests, as someone else asked.

And YAY, Tikiman is back!! off to check it out!

Please let us know how that goes! I'm curious if faxing over the request or online check in is better. I'm tentative to do the online check-in for fear that they won't take longhouse requests!

I hope I'm not intruding on your thread here, and I feel so silly for keeping my eye on it and not introducing myself until now. You guys are giving great information and really getting me geeked up for my next vacation there!!!

:welcome: Glad to see you felt brave enough to dive into the pool with the rest of us. We're a friendly lot and glad to have you along for the ride! :yay:

BCV -- I agree, isn't Steve's new site fantastic! I'm hoping to have more time today to really delve into it--can't wait to see the finished product. Then again, Steve's site is always a work in progress. I really think I'll send him a new family pic though--our other is really old! :)

Ooooh...tell us more! I had just started looking at his site for one day when it closed the next day...I was crushed. Does he say when he'll have it up and running again?

Here's the opening paragraph of the email:

"Tikiman's Unofficial Polynesian Resort News

APRIL FOOLS!!! a few days late

Aloha Polynesian lovers!!! Well if you thought that my Polynesian site was going away than “APRIL FOOLS!!!” but then again what I said about the old site closing was all true. I just left out the part about the new site replacing it. I really appreciate all the nice emails from so many of you who were sorry to see the site go but at least it has a happy ending. Well the new site will be much different but I believe it will be easier to navigate thanks to the help and hard work of Matthew Turk who came along when my other site was limping along and made it possible to have this great new site. Not only should the new site have all that the old one did (once we finish all we have planned) but it should have a lot more. Also I won’t need to ask for donations anymore to help pay the outrageous bill I was getting from Homestead and there will be no more shutting down from exceeding the bandwidth. I know some people don’t like change (like the uproar at Facebook) but I think you all will enjoy the new site and its new features much more. I have plans for adding things that I could not before or never had time to do. I could not think of a better way to celebrate the sites 10th anniversary than to improve it look. After all these years of emailing, talking to or meeting people that visit my site and seeing what a great group of people you are I felt you deserved a better site to go to, so go check it out and let me know what you think. http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/ "

Here I am, back again! Last time I was in the thread we had to reschedule our trip, I didnt want to jinx it so I waited to return until we had it paid off LOL

So its 5 weeks and a few days until we arrive at the Poly...for the first time! I had stressed about what to request, what if we hated it, blah blah blah. So we decided that we are going to just go, and enjoy what we get. This whole planning thing was getting way too stressful. So someone please tell me that I will love Garden view and that my family wont be crammed into the room like sardines LOL :rotfl:

We are planning our trip to the Poly in May 2010 and I am starting to plan now. I am so excited!! This will be our first time at the Poly and and my DD14 really wants to stay in a MK view room. Can you get a good view of the fireworks and castle from the beach? Since this will be our first visit to the Poly my DD's 14 and 8 would probably be happy going on the beach each night to watch the fireworks because this is not our only reason for wanting to stay at the Poly or is a MK view really worth it?

You also mentioned that you would have to pre-book a MK view. Could we wait until the 2010 prices are available to book a MK view or is it possible that they would all be booked early.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!! :banana:

I just want to say THANK YOU!! to everyone on this thread for always being so helpful and sharing your tips, any info you have and your experiences at the Poly.:)

When we went in 2007 we booked a package through AAA and at that time we requested the MK view and paid the price required. When we got to the Poly the CM at check in gave us our choice of long houses. We ended up picking Tovalu (I don't remember what our other choice was). Our room was on the second floor, so no balcony or patio. We could open the sliding door, watch the fireworks and the water parade from our room.

My husband doesn't think paying the extra for the MK room is worth it, though he does admit he enjoyed the view. As to booking the MK room early, you may not have too. We went in April (two weeks after Easter) and there weren't many people staying in the long house we were in.

Here I am, back again! Last time I was in the thread we had to reschedule our trip, I didnt want to jinx it so I waited to return until we had it paid off LOL

So its 5 weeks and a few days until we arrive at the Poly...for the first time! I had stressed about what to request, what if we hated it, blah blah blah. So we decided that we are going to just go, and enjoy what we get. This whole planning thing was getting way too stressful. So someone please tell me that I will love Garden view and that my family wont be crammed into the room like sardines LOL :rotfl:

I think you will be pleased with any GV at the Poly. It is so beautiful there. I don't know how large your family is, but the rooms are really spacious, if you get a balcony or patio, it just adds to the space too.

Try not tro stress. If you hate your room you can always ask if their is an alternative location!

Have fun! :wizard:

Last summer, we requested (and got) a balcony view in Tokelau. I LOVED it!!! The view was gorgeous!!

And you won't be crammed. There are 5 of us, and my son is prettty much as big as I am. There was lots of room!

You are going to LOVE the Poly!!!

When we went in 2007 we booked a package through AAA and at that time we requested the MK view and paid the price required. When we got to the Poly the CM at check in gave us our choice of long houses. We ended up picking Tovalu (I don't remember what our other choice was). Our room was on the second floor, so no balcony or patio. We could open the sliding door, watch the fireworks and the water parade from our room.

My husband doesn't think paying the extra for the MK room is worth it, though he does admit he enjoyed the view. As to booking the MK room early, you may not have too. We went in April (two weeks after Easter) and there weren't many people staying in the long house we were in.

We are going late April/early May 2010 to the Poly, so for the time being I will probably wait until Aug to book our room because it sounds to me like every room at the Poly is a good room and I will read Poly trip reports to see the crowd levels for April and May 2009.

Thanks taylor3297 for the info :)

Welcome back and congrats on the pay-off! The time will fly for you now! :banana:

You will be happy with your garden view AND your family won't feel like sardines!

Relax and let the Polynesian magic soothe you. . . .ohmmmmm, ohmmmmm. . .:rotfl:

Just noticed, you should be there about the same time we are! Say hello if you see us bouncing around. :thumbsup2

Happy Saturday, everyone :grouphug: I leave three weeks from today! :banana: mmmears, you're 5 days away...so lucky. The days must be dragging by for you!

We're really excited, but DH & I have colds, so I'm glad I have a few days to rest and try to get better.:sad2:

Tikiman's new site is up and running! :cool1: http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

Looks great too.:goodvibes:

Thanks for posting the link -- now I have to go there and check it all out!:yay:

We are going late April/early May 2010 to the Poly, so for the time being I will probably wait until Aug to book our room because it sounds to me like every room at the Poly is a good room and I will read Poly trip reports to see the crowd levels for April and May 2009.

Thanks taylor3297 for the info :)

According to the last Podcast, crowds are at record highs this year because of all the deals. May or may not be the same for 2010.

I think if you aren't set on your dates and aren't worried about room-type, then you can just wait to book a room. We had very specific, non-negotiable dates & room category we wanted, so we booked almost a year in advance and then changed when the 4/3 deal came along. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter