The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be there December 10-17. We've been to WDW during the holiday season, but that was before I was introduced to the DIS.

Would love to hear about MVMCP and the overall Polynesian holiday experience! :santa:

My DH and I will be staying at the Poly for the first time Dec. 9-14. We are also doing our first split stay--AKL Dec. 14-19.

We have visited the Poly during the holiday season and are really looking forward to staying there. My DD and I went to the MVMCP a few years ago. We really enjoyed it, but wouldn't do it again.

We will be there Dec 11-19th. First Christmas trip at the Poly...can't wait! See you there!!!!

Only 2 days until our Poly visit. Looking forward to this trip. Never stayed at the Poly. Hope to have a great time. All packed up and ready to fly......:)

Only 2 days until our Poly visit. Looking forward to this trip. Never stayed at the Poly. Hope to have a great time. All packed up and ready to fly......:)

OMG! You are going to LOVE it!!!! :cloud9: Have a wonderful trip! I'm going in a little over a month and am getting really excited :cool1:

We're not that far behind you - only 26 days till our first Poly stay. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!!:goodvibes

Congratulations to you Poly first timers. I wish you a wonderful and magical vacation.
When you get back, please let us know your thoughts and experiences. This Poly vet and I'm sure most Poly vets are anxious to know if you'll end up feeling the same way about Poly as we do.

I'm hoping someone out there can answer this... We are lucky enough to have a friend that works at DW that has gotten us a 40% CM discount at the Poly, there is NO way we could've stayed at the Poly without it.

I'm a CRAZY light sleeper, one of those that will wake up over the smallest noise and then not be able to fall back asleep, and I mean I will be up until everyone else is awake. (Hate it).

My question is: I feel guilty calling and asking for a top level room with such a deep discount. SHould I bother or will they just laugh at me? Has anyone else been on a deep discount at the Poly and made requests and got them?
Thank you!

I'm hoping someone out there can answer this... We are lucky enough to have a friend that works at DW that has gotten us a 40% CM discount at the Poly, there is NO way we could've stayed at the Poly without it.

I'm a CRAZY light sleeper, one of those that will wake up over the smallest noise and then not be able to fall back asleep, and I mean I will be up until everyone else is awake. (Hate it).

My question is: I feel guilty calling and asking for a top level room with such a deep discount. SHould I bother or will they just laugh at me? Has anyone else been on a deep discount at the Poly and made requests and got them?
Thank you!

We stayed at the Poly without a discount last month. We'll be staying there in the fall with a 40% discount. Either way, I'm paying them and they ought to do their best to honor any requests. We requested a first floor near a pool and got it last time. We may not need to make a request for the fall trip (at least the first group...grown-ups trip, then the fam will join me) but will not hesitate if necessary just because of a discount. Just do it!

Congratulations to you Poly first timers. I wish you a wonderful and magical vacation.
When you get back, please let us know your thoughts and experiences. This Poly vet and I'm sure most Poly vets are anxious to know if you'll end up feeling the same way about Poly as we do.

I always find it strange when I read about people who hate the Poly.:confused3 My family & I have stayed at the Poly 4 times (Club level) & will do the same in July. I can't imagine staying anywhere else, we just love the Poly.:worship:

I always find it strange when I read about people who hate the Poly.:confused3 My family & I have stayed at the Poly 4 times (Club level) & will do the same in July. I can't imagine staying anywhere else, we just love the Poly.:worship:

Actually, I think it's rare to hear that someone "hated" the Poly. Most of the negative reviews on the resort that I read come from folks that I put into the category of "Everything wasn't absolutely perfect or the way I thought they should be so I did not like the resort". I also think that the high number of Poly lovers on these boards helps inflate some people's expectations of the resort. I think that what most people are dissapointed in with the Poly is that they go into it expecting top of the line luxury which is not what the Poly offers. Honestly, if the Polynesian was a 5 star luxury resort, I would not want to stay there. I think some folks believe that the high price of staying at the Poly should include top notch luxury, service, and amenities. While the Poly does offer some degree of these, a little bit of pre-vacation research would quickly show these folks that this is not what the Poly is all about.

Okay all you vets. please tell me which building you love and why.

THX

You are going to get a different answer from everyone, which just proves the Poly has something for everyone!

For GV rooms, we love Fiji (marina side) because it's close to the GCH yet has a secluded beach (towards GF). And I LOVED waking up to this view in the morning...

Disney173.jpg

Disney174.jpg

Actually, I think it's rare to hear that someone "hated" the Poly. Most of the negative reviews on the resort that I read come from folks that I put into the category of "Everything wasn't absolutely perfect or the way I thought they should be so I did not like the resort". I also think that the high number of Poly lovers on these boards helps inflate some people's expectations of the resort. I think that what most people are dissapointed in with the Poly is that they go into it expecting top of the line luxury which is not what the Poly offers. Honestly, if the Polynesian was a 5 star luxury resort, I would not want to stay there. I think some folks believe that the high price of staying at the Poly should include top notch luxury, service, and amenities. While the Poly does offer some degree of these, a little bit of pre-vacation research would quickly show these folks that this is not what the Poly is all about.

I agree! Before our first onsite stay (AKL in 2006) I spent so much time on the AKL thread that I had myself set up for it being a completely magical place. In reality, we were checked into a dirty room which hadn't been used in weeks and despite assurance from a supervisor in the lobby, our room was NOT cleaned by the time we arrived back from the park that night. We ended up getting moved to a Savannah room....yipee, right? Nope, we were SO far from everything, never saw other guests or animals off our balcony (which we didn't use anyway because it was the height of love bug season and they were everywhere), but did have a great view of the "people pen". Never recieved one of the supposedly plentiful "Jamo" greetings from the CMs, we didn't enjoy Boma after spending weeks obsessing over trying to get a ressie...in a nutshell, I was so hyped up about the place that it was truly disappointing.

The following year we decided to try the Poly. We went into that trip with no expectations other than we would be located closer to the parks. And from the moment we walked into the lobby we felt relaxed, pampered & special. It turned out to be an awesome trip! Had we gone in expecting the Poly to be anything more than a nice hotel, we probably would've been disappointed like at the AKL. (Although we found the food to be better and the CM's much friendlier & more helpful than at AKL, hands down!)

Okay what's the diff. between Theme park and Lagoon View? Do you see MK with both of these? If not, which one has the better view of the fireworks?

Okay what's the diff. between Theme park and Lagoon View? Do you see MK with both of these? If not, which one has the better view of the fireworks?

Theme park view you have an unobstructed view of the castle, lagoon view you can see the lagoon but not neccessarily the castle because of being on the ground floor, trees in the way, etc.

Theme Park View is just a guarantee that you will have an unobstructed view of the castle. Castle View would most likely be a more appropriate name for this classification. I mean let's be honest, people aren't paying extra for the great view of Space Mountain or Splash Mountain. They want the castle with fireworks on top of it! Although I do love seeing those other things as well. :thumbsup2

I'm very new to the forum and staying at the Poly for the FIRST time in Sept:banana: It's taken me a few days to hit the threads that interested me most: THIS ONE of course with all the great photos and insight from Poly veterans and some of the trip reports were so fun to read too. Iam wondering about the housekeeping there, is it mostly hit or miss, or really bad?We haven't been to DisneyWorld for years. Iam not going to let that deter me, because even the folks that complained about housekeeping had a blast and raved about the Poly in general. Iam so super excited and this forum is great in keeping my excitement level high, so I hate to ask a downer-ish question.

Anyone heard the rumor about closing the Poly coffee bar and replacing it with a sushi bar? :confused3

I just read this on the podcast discussion page...

Clothes lines were there and we used them. The AC was loud enough for me ....I gotta have my noise. We did notice that the maids would turn it to autofan and to 75F and then leave the window drapes open each day. Helps to have the drapes closed, fan on constant and the temp to more like 68F.

As mentioned - there is a clothesline, but I usually take about a dozen cheap plastic hangers. You can hang your wet things up on the hangers and then they just slide out of the way when someone needs to get in the shower. Clothes seem to dry faster on hangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter