The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Gu Chomps. I have trouble with the texture of the gels but the Chomps actually taste really good and I find the texture okay to get down. They are firmer then a gummy bear or anything like that. I tried the Jelly Belly Sports Beans against the advice of the people at the running store (who told me its pretty much just a repackaged jelly bean and I won't get the intended effect from them) and yep, they were right.

Taking these gels, etc in isn't for hunger - its for fuel.

Does someplace like GNC sell individual gels? I want to get a handful of different ones to try to see what's the easiest to get down. I struggle with strong texture aversions on a good day, much less after 10 miles of running. ;)

I like the Gu Chomps. I have trouble with the texture of the gels but the Chomps actually taste really good and I find the texture okay to get down. They are firmer then a gummy bear or anything like that. I tried the Jelly Belly Sports Beans against the advice of the people at the running store (who told me its pretty much just a repackaged jelly bean and I won't get the intended effect from them) and yep, they were right.

Taking these gels, etc in isn't for hunger - its for fuel.

I understand it is for fuel. I am asking because I don't want to go buy these then end up gagging on them. I find things like Jell-o, jelly, gummy bears disgusting and I cant eat them. I was talking about hunger after running a few miles because hunger is a sign of needing food/fuel. The point I was trying to make to my husband is if you need fuel after a 3 mile run you will need it during a 13 mile run.

Princess on the Run said:
Stay safe East Coast Princesses!!!

Thanks you. It's total devastation in so many parts of ny/long island. We are safe and dry, still no power 18+ hrs and no crews in sight.

sissy_ib said:
I have a question about race nutrition for someone more experienced than me. I have never been out for more than 6 miles. And even that I walked half. I am heading to Academy Sports tomorrow to look for the gels and other things for my long runs as well as a new hydration belt. For food on the run is there anything you recommend? I have always pictured those things as, well, icky...I don't like things like Jell-o or gummies and that is what I am picturing. Am I way off? Would something solid like a Cliff bar be to heavy in my stomach? I am planning on getting a few things and trying them at home to see if I can even stand it.

Do you like chocolate frosting by any chance? That's what the chocolate Gu is like to me. It tastes just like chocolate frosting. They have a vanilla bean and peanut butter one too which are delicious. I literally shoot it into my mouth and swallow it in one gulp, and chase it with a few oz of water (3-4 mouthfuls). I find it easier than chomping down on blocks.

It will be a few days until I can get out there and walk again. My father passed away this morning, this hurricane is making it hard to plan his service. I really need to walk just to clear my head.

Never to Old, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you can get out and get some exercise. I find it helps me manage the big emotions. We're all thinking about you. :goodvibes

I have a question I haven't seen answered before for those that have run before. I've read that many bring sweats and jackets to be discarded by the road after you've started warming up running, but does anyone have problems getting chilled after the race before they can get back to their hotel room for a shower? I'm trying to decide if I want to bother checking a jacket for post race. While doing my training, i usually go from hot and sweaty to cold and sweaty in just a few minutes. I'm not indulging in the retreat so I expect the lines to be long to pick up a bag. Thanks for yow haring your experience with us newbies.

I didn't check a bag last year, and I wished I had. I was pretty cold waiting for the bus, and the lines for the bus were LONG. The bag check lines didn't look long, but I'm not sure. They do have those silver space blankets, but they weren't handing them out when I finished (4:09 clock, 3:43 net, so very, very late in the game, but ahead of the sweepers). I think you could get them from first aid if you needed them.

I have a question about race nutrition for someone more experienced than me. I have never been out for more than 6 miles. And even that I walked half. I am heading to Academy Sports tomorrow to look for the gels and other things for my long runs as well as a new hydration belt. For food on the run is there anything you recommend? I have always pictured those things as, well, icky...I don't like things like Jell-o or gummies and that is what I am picturing. Am I way off? Would something solid like a Cliff bar be to heavy in my stomach? I am planning on getting a few things and trying them at home to see if I can even stand it.

They're not exactly gourmet food. Someone described them as tasting like the icing gel that you get to write on cakes. That's about right. I like the chocolate/mocha type flavors better than fruit but YMMV. Just FYI, twizzlers and swedish fish have essentially the same components, are way cheaper, and won't be an issue for TSA. Basically you want sugar, citric acid, and salt. Experiment in your training (now's the right time to start getting past 6 miles), and see what works for you. There are all kinds of things people use--I have a friend who eats pinches of salt. You can buy packets of honey (or, um, swipe them from a tea stand.) :rolleyes1 There are these honey stinger wafers some people swear by...I think they're gross but don't mind the gels. It's so individual, practicing your race nutrition (including what to eat before--I'll post my "what not to do" about that later) is part of training.

Hope everyone is as well as can be expected after yesterday's storm. We were spared here in W. Mass.

Cate

Does someplace like GNC sell individual gels? I want to get a handful of different ones to try to see what's the easiest to get down. I struggle with strong texture aversions on a good day, much less after 10 miles of running. ;)

Runningwarehouse has a variety pack of GU gels. With the wish team discount it was the cheapest I found anywhere. Beware, though, it includes sample packs of their drink mix. I have never tasted anything so gross in my life. :P

Cate

All this talk of fueling prior/during a run has me wondering if I'm going to need anything after completing my first 10miles Sunday evening on "empty"? I had some soup with bread that day for lunch and that was it before hitting the pavement around 6pm. Afterwards, my knees were in good shape and I wasn't really winded. Could of done another 2-3miles but didn't want to risk increasing my mileage ahead of my training schedule and pull something with my luck. :scared1:

They're not exactly gourmet food. Someone described them as tasting like the icing gel that you get to write on cakes. That's about right. I like the chocolate/mocha type flavors better than fruit but YMMV. Just FYI, twizzlers and swedish fish have essentially the same components, are way cheaper, and won't be an issue for TSA. Basically you want sugar, citric acid, and salt. Experiment in your training (now's the right time to start getting past 6 miles), and see what works for you. There are all kinds of things people use--I have a friend who eats pinches of salt. You can buy packets of honey (or, um, swipe them from a tea stand.) :rolleyes1 There are these honey stinger wafers some people swear by...I think they're gross but don't mind the gels. It's so individual, practicing your race nutrition (including what to eat before--I'll post my "what not to do" about that later) is part of training.

Hope everyone is as well as can be expected after yesterday's storm. We were spared here in W. Mass.

Cate

Thanks. I'm not really looking for anything "good" just something I can stand texture wise. I am about to head out to look at my options. I didn't mean to come across as I was looking for a full meal on the course!

New to this thread also... I may have posted once long time ago.
Got my husband signed thankfully we disnt have to sign up through he charity like with Tinkerbell cause it was sold out. We picked a good one though for Tinkerbell TAPS (helps families of those who have lost a solider in combat) now just to raise the money.

I had to have surgery on a cyst in a odd area so I cant start training till mid November aghh. But I was running before hand and I can still walk so I walk like 6-8 miles a day.

I will be in the last corral no big deal and I have accepted my fate. My goal is to run it in 3 hours thats between 13-14 min miles. I am power walking 15 min miles now and brisk walking 17 min miles. The last time I ran I did 3.7 miles in 40 mins so I am hoping when I can train again I will be good to go. I am also hoping to lose 38 pounds by the race.

We are also running the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon. Cant wait

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

Thank you! I am still dealing with shin splints. I could only do two miles on Thursday because it was painful. I just walked two miles on Saturday and it was painful too so now I think I will do total rest for a while now. I was scheduled to do a 10K in two weeks but I decided to take myself out of that. I just got the compression sleeves but I didn't really get a chance to use them but someone on the FB page mentioned that you could even sleep in them! I didn't do that yet but I decided to wear them to work today. I also have a sports massage scheduled for today. I've got 5 weeks to get rid of this before I start the 12 week 1/2 marathon training plain!

You can absolutely sleep in them. The lady at the running store said to definitely wear them while running and that if the shin splints are bad, wear them during the day. So I have 2 pairs: one for running and one for rest so that I don't have to put on the same sweaty pair after my shower. LOL.

After your workout, ice your shins too. I'll ice mine for about 20 min after my workout shower.

Last year I'm pretty sure it was clif shots (gel). I think in prior years it has been Gu, so I guess it depends on which company ponies up for the expo. :)

I think it is clif shots this year also. I recall reading that somewhere on the site in the FAQ.

It will be a few days until I can get out there and walk again. My father passed away this morning, this hurricane is making it hard to plan his service. I really need to walk just to clear my head.
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :sad1:

Thanks you. It's total devastation in so many parts of ny/long island. We are safe and dry, still no power 18+ hrs and no crews in sight.
Ugh! Glad you're safe - hope power is restored soon. I've done the no power for weeks post-hurricane thing and it ain't fun. :sad2: Hang in there!

Can you usually pick these up at the expo? We're flying in and I hadn't planned on checking luggage and gel restrictions on carry on luggage is tight.

You could always mail a box to your WDW resort also. I may do this.

Had to say yay to this! :cheer2: DH had the Note and now has the Note II. He loves it. I think it's huge but I like to steal it when I want to browse the internet or read forums. It's so much easier to read than my Galaxy S III for stuff like that.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headache:

It happened again. Two fabulous mid-week runs last week - feeling great, thinking this ITBS garbage is on its way out... and then only made it 2 miles before pain struck on Saturday morning's "long" run. I finished my planned 3 miles by walking the last mile, but it's sooooo frustrating. All I can think at this point is that I really need to run late in the day for my IT band to have had time to relax. Kinda puts a wrench in that early morning Princess start, doesn't it?! :rolleyes:

Spent the weekend at WDW and all of the walking did not help; sore the entire time. I've got an appt with a chiropractor next Mon, am trying to get a massage this week, and I'll try running later in the day this weekend. I guess I'll try a short run tonight and see how it goes.

Many thanks to the Princess veterans posting here - the longer I'm unable to start really training, the more challenging and sinister this race becomes in my mind. It helps a lot hearing you all bring it back into perspective! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

PrincessV said:

It happened again. Two fabulous mid-week runs last week - feeling great, thinking this ITBS garbage is on its way out... and then only made it 2 miles before pain struck on Saturday morning's "long" run. I finished my planned 3 miles by walking the last mile, but it's sooooo frustrating. All I can think at this point is that I really need to run late in the day for my IT band to have had time to relax. Kinda puts a wrench in that early morning Princess start, doesn't it?! :rolleyes:

Spent the weekend at WDW and all of the walking did not help; sore the entire time. I've got an appt with a chiropractor next Mon, am trying to get a massage this week, and I'll try running later in the day this weekend. I guess I'll try a short run tonight and see how it goes.

Many thanks to the Princess veterans posting here - the longer I'm unable to start really training, the more challenging and sinister this race becomes in my mind. It helps a lot hearing you all bring it back into perspective! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

Dont feel bad I cant start training for another month but just think postive thoughts YOU CAN DO IT

IT bands issues suck I had that 2 years ago And had to do crazy stretches everyday
Best of luck

Tracerr00 said:
Thank you! I am still dealing with shin splints. I could only do two miles on Thursday because it was painful. I just walked two miles on Saturday and it was painful too so now I think I will do total rest for a while now. I was scheduled to do a 10K in two weeks but I decided to take myself out of that. I just got the compression sleeves but I didn't really get a chance to use them but someone on the FB page mentioned that you could even sleep in them! I didn't do that yet but I decided to wear them to work today. I also have a sports massage scheduled for today. I've got 5 weeks to get rid of this before I start the 12 week 1/2 marathon training plain!

Can you PM me the 12 week plan you are using???

I don't have IT band issues but I do have shin splints and they are driving me crazy. I'm dying to get out there to train and I just haven't been able to do it. I've googled the topic to death for exercises, stretches, tips, etc but it's so frustrating because I know the rest of my body is up for three miles today but my shin is not. So I do know how you feel - when you want to train but just can't do it. :( So good luck with your chiropractor and massage - sending some virtual healing vibes your way!

sissy_ib said:
I understand it is for fuel. I am asking because I don't want to go buy these then end up gagging on them. I find things like Jell-o, jelly, gummy bears disgusting and I cant eat them. I was talking about hunger after running a few miles because hunger is a sign of needing food/fuel. The point I was trying to make to my husband is if you need fuel after a 3 mile run you will need it during a 13 mile run.

I like the Luna bars. They make mini ones so they are smaller and you can just pop one and get the energy you need.

Runningwarehouse has a variety pack of GU gels. With the wish team discount it was the cheapest I found anywhere. Beware, though, it includes sample packs of their drink mix. I have never tasted anything so gross in my life. :P

Cate

Oh good. I need to order some more sleeves. My running jacket was all sensory triggering and intolerable, but the sleeves were fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter