The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes -- I'm going to have to check in here more frequently!! Life gets ahead of me & before you know it, its been almost two weeks and a bunch of unread pages since I've posted! :scared1:

I'm looking forward to hear what some have to say about motivation. I'm still relatively new to this, so right now my motivation is provided by the 'honeymoon phase' of this new interest. I'll probably need the motivational kick in the behind as it gets warmer here & I start to come up with the reasons why I don't want to train!

I walked a five mile race course this weekend (my plan had been to jog part & walk part, but that didn't happen). I finished it - so that's a positive right there! :rotfl2: hahaha ... :rotfl2: But I also realized just how far I have to go before February! :faint:

Hopefully I'll be able to check in more frequently soon! Though we've still got three weeks of school here, so it's going to be one heck of a roller coaster!

:stitch2:

Hi everyone!! This will be my first time to run in the princess half marathon! Actually, this will be my first race ever! I'm super excited! My husband will be running/training with me! I hope to get great advice and motivation and give it as well! I've also started a blog to help me through this journey so feel free to follow my blog!! :-) hope everyone has an awesome memorial day!!!

Fabuloustodaynotfattomorrow.blogspot.com

It will be my 1st race EVER also....my first goal is to finish in the 3:30, second goal is to maintain at least the 14:00 pace I have now, third goal is to improve my time so I can stop for character pictures. My hubby is also running the race with me. WE CAN DO THIS!!:hippie:

Oh, Princesses - first time getting up early to go run before the DH heads out to work. BLECH. I hate getting up early & due to blood sugar issues I CANNOT go out without something to eat. So, I wolfed down and English muffin and that thing sat there like a lump in my tummy since I didn't have time to let it settle before heading out. Also, it was ridiculously humid. I did 3 "easy" miles and was positively dripping when I got home. There was a rainstorm last night, and instead of cooling everything down, it just upped the sticky.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage the new princesses who are training in warmer climates to just throw time out the window this summer. Get the miles on your feet, but slow down and stretch out your intervals if you need to. You have plenty of time once the fall hits to work on cutting down your pace for the Princess. I started running (as in, finally getting up off the couch) during an Atlanta summer and it was the most blessed event to run in September when the humidity started to break - I didn't know running could be like that! :rotfl: I will never forget a friend telling me that slower interval running is really the only way to do long runs during the summer - and this was a friend who has completed 2 IronMans, so I feel pretty good about going with her opinion!

Glad to read your post about training in the humid/hot weather. I have just decided that the summer training will be mostly treadmill as this morning in San Antonio was positively unbearable at 76 with what felt like 1000 degrees humidity! I too am telling myself to get my body use to longer miles and then try to cut down time in the fall (providing the Doc tells me I can run since the knee is ooohhh so tender right now!):cheer2:

This will be my first run at WDW. I'm not sure where my husband will be while I'm walking/running the 1/2. Will there be any Photopass people there to take pictures? I really would like a nice picture of me crossing the finish line.

They don't have Photopass at the race. As mentioned before, there is a pro company called Brightroom that takes random pics along the course and at the finish line. With the characters it is also random - you can always get the cast member to take a pic with your camera, but sporadically, with the more popular characters, a Brightroom phot. will be there snapping as well.

Good Morning!

I have really been struggling with motivation this week. I wasn't feeling it on Sunday, but my husband encouraged me to just get out there. I just wasn't motivated and ran almost a minute per mile slower than my usual pace and struggled through a shorter than usual run. I ended up just feeling blah about running.
Today, I also wasn't feeling it, but decided to head out anyway and go a different route. I ended up running a half a minute per mile faster than my normal pace and because the trail was different I ended up running a 1/2 mile more than I usually run. The new trail, combined with the improved performance has really upped my motivation. But I know keeping motivated over the next 9 months will be hard. I have some races scheduled to help, but my question to all of you --

What motivates you to get out and run when you just aren't feeling it? :cheer2:

Knowing that I will have it done and on the books. Knowing that the longer I put off getting my runs in, the more I will feel like I'm going to die when I get back to it!

Races! I'll be honest, I don't really love running, yet. Maybe it will come, maybe not. But, I love racing. So, I've got races planned to keep me on track.

The other thing that really helps me is public accountability. Posting here, on Facebook, telling my friends, who ever will listen about my running helps because I feel the need to stay on track so that they next time I talk to them, I don't have to admit that I gave up.

I'm with ya. I don't love the actual running. I love the sense of accomplishment when the run is done, but I don't get that whole "I feel so good, I think I'll go farther" thing At. All. I do, however, love me some race days! So, it's a means to an end.

And the public thing is totally how I kept myself training for my first Princess. I just didn't want to tell people that I had given up. Oh, that and plunking down some non-refundable cash for race registration. In my house, you don't back out if serious $$ is on the line!:laughing:

Go to youtube and search for "The most inspiring video you will ever watch!" and "MOTIVATION - "Be Great, Powerful Beyond Measure" - Best Inspirational Video Ever [Original] "
Does it for me every time.

I was gradually improving on my pace time from 12-15minutes to 9-10 per mile. About a month ago I started getting slight nerve zaps in my right Achilles heel and got paranoid I was pushing myself. So I changed my one hour non stop running night runs to a 4min run/4min walk interval method. A longer hybrid version of the JG method but it has worked for me. I also make sure to give myself a day between runs. I made the mistake of running nearly everyday like an idiot on top of doing strength training/cardio at home prior initially because I was revving to go once I made the decision to join the marathon.

Now I just alternate days. Allowing myself at least two days off during the week for muscle recovery. I initially brought a watch to pace myself during my runs but since the achilles scare and the growing humidity here in Florida I figure it's a losing battle for the next few months and haven't taken it with me while training since. The key at this point for me while training is to disregard and not stress about how fast you'll complete "X" many miles on a specific day, but that you find the motivation to get out there and finish.

Ran my second 5K today and was able to cut over 2 minutes off my time! It was a flatter course, but also about 10-15 degrees hotter. So, I feel like those factors canceled each other out. (At least that's what I'm telling myself. ;) )

I don't have another race until July, so my plan is to add in some core strength work and start training for a fall 10K.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

2 minutes off! That is great :banana::banana::banana:

Hi everyone!! This will be my first time to run in the princess half marathon! Actually, this will be my first race ever! I'm super excited! My husband will be running/training with me! I hope to get great advice and motivation and give it as well! I've also started a blog to help me through this journey so feel free to follow my blog!! :-) hope everyone has an awesome memorial day!!!

Fabuloustodaynotfattomorrow.blogspot.com

Welcome, so glad you are in for this and great your DH is doing it with you

Oh, Princesses - first time getting up early to go run before the DH heads out to work. BLECH. I hate getting up early & due to blood sugar issues I CANNOT go out without something to eat. So, I wolfed down and English muffin and that thing sat there like a lump in my tummy since I didn't have time to let it settle before heading out. Also, it was ridiculously humid. I did 3 "easy" miles and was positively dripping when I got home. There was a rainstorm last night, and instead of cooling everything down, it just upped the sticky.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage the new princesses who are training in warmer climates to just throw time out the window this summer. Get the miles on your feet, but slow down and stretch out your intervals if you need to. You have plenty of time once the fall hits to work on cutting down your pace for the Princess. I started running (as in, finally getting up off the couch) during an Atlanta summer and it was the most blessed event to run in September when the humidity started to break - I didn't know running could be like that! :rotfl: I will never forget a friend telling me that slower interval running is really the only way to do long runs during the summer - and this was a friend who has completed 2 IronMans, so I feel pretty good about going with her opinion!

I am working on being OK with slowing the pace down, Michigan is not always the most pleasant for weather and I know I am in for some miserable days (yesterday we were hotter than Disney!!)

Accountability motivates me. I've told everyone who would stand still for 5 seconds that I am doing the PHM. Also, I've told my DH and kids that if I don't do it, we won't go to WDW in Feb. I can't let them down -- or myself!!! :goodvibes

I am doing the same thing! Also I am using my $$$ investment as a motivator. I have spent a lot of money already and a lot more to come so I am too invested to give up.

My question--I have a race in 7 weeks. Do I do the 10K or the 5K? I know I can train to complete the 10K and that will be a better time indicator for the PHM but I have only done 1 race (5K). Thoughts??:confused3

Oh Amy, you sound just like me with the motivation! I really don't love running. I love the accomplishment, and here and there, I loved the run I did (but those tend to be the 2 milers!) But if I plunk down the cash, my butt is going to run!

When I started training for the Princess last year, my motivation was to tell everyone too that I was doing it. Same as everyone else. I didn't want to say I was going to do it and then be a sissy and back out. I also registered as soon as I could so the $$$ laid out kept me going. Although my DH had said at one point maybe we shouldn't be going to Disney then. My reply was, "i'm going. you can stay home." We all went and it was a bit of a stretch financially. There was just no way I was backing out. At that point I had been working too hard and it was getting close (I think he said that around the end of Nov., early Dec) This year I am doing the full for Marathon weekend and going back in February for the Princess. HE is staying home. I don't even want him there. I know I will have more fun meeting up with Princesses from here and the others I have met through the Facebook groups.

I talked to someone in a WISH shirt during part of the Iron Girl while running through the neighborhoods. Was that you? Other than the bridges and the weather it was a really good first experience for me. I'm ready to run more than a 5K at Disney now though...and I know there's nothing like those bridges over the water in Clearwater at WDW.

I think that was me. :)

I feel bad for all those running in humidity, you would all probably laugh to know that I am still running in a hat and jacket! On the other hand, you'll all be used to running in the humidity and it just might kill me!!

I gravitate to Youtube when I need some motivation. I pull up PHM videos and watch them. Works for me every time. Well, that and the money I'm putting up for this!!

Actually I am struggling a bit with motivation right now. I am only getting one long run in a week and I need to do more. We go for a family walk/run ….mostly walk about once a week in a very hilly area so that’s good. I just have no motivation to get up early before DH leaves for the office to get a short run in. I just need to change my mindset and just do it. I almost feel like I’m in a slump or something…. I need some motivation to get going.

Good Morning!

I have really been struggling with motivation this week. I wasn't feeling it on Sunday, but my husband encouraged me to just get out there. I just wasn't motivated and ran almost a minute per mile slower than my usual pace and struggled through a shorter than usual run. I ended up just feeling blah about running.
Today, I also wasn't feeling it, but decided to head out anyway and go a different route. I ended up running a half a minute per mile faster than my normal pace and because the trail was different I ended up running a 1/2 mile more than I usually run. The new trail, combined with the improved performance has really upped my motivation. But I know keeping motivated over the next 9 months will be hard. I have some races scheduled to help, but my question to all of you --

I know exactly where your coming from! Reading your post sounds like me normally but I've been doing awesome this time around! As someone else said, getting it out there through Facebook and blogging has also really helped me a lot. I want people to see even my weak days so in the end they see how far I've came! I've never been this motivated and not only does it come from my daughter but just the simple fact I WANT to do this for myself! I hope I helped a little! If you have or end up getting a blog let me know and I will follow you!

Fabuloustodaynotfattommorrow.blogspot.com

It will be my 1st race EVER also....my first goal is to finish in the 3:30, second goal is to maintain at least the 14:00 pace I have now, third goal is to improve my time so I can stop for character pictures. My hubby is also running the race with me. WE CAN DO THIS!!:hippie:

Awesome!!!! He really keeps me motivated so I love that he will be running with me! I plan on making time goals soon but haven't got that far yet! :-)

It depends on just why I'm not feeling it...
If I'm feeling truly run-down, haven't had adequate sleep, coming down with an illness, etc. I'll ask my body to walk 10 minutes. If it says, "No way!" I know that I need to take the day off, period. If it begrudgingly says, "Okay, I guess..." then I know it can handle more and I go for whatever kind of run I can.

Otherwise, my motivation to run is that running feels good! Well, the first mile's always dicey, but after that, my mind clears, my body finds its rhythm and it just plain feels good to move. :cloud9:

I feel bad for all those running in humidity, you would all probably laugh to know that I am still running in a hat and jacket!
Well, I'm running in a hat still... but it's to keep the sweat out of my eyes! :rotfl:

Gosh I am so far behind on this thread! It's been crazy busy here.. I'm hoping that June slows down some.
I agree with everyone about slowing down and maintaining for summer. It gets very humid here and I'm not risking an injury. I'm running my first 10k on June 9 so I can get a decent corral placement. I have a race planned for every month from now through December but during the summer I'm going to concentrate more on my long runs :)
How often are you girls running? My max per week is 4.

Oh! I ran a 5k on Memorial Day (benefitting the veterans) and I PR'd! I wanted to break 29 but I ran a 29:11 which is a time I'm very happy with!

Congrats to everyone that has been racing lately!! :D

Good Morning!

Like some others on here, it's all about the races for me. If I didn't enjoy those much, I'd never run again. :laughing: I have my first 10K on July 3, so that's about the only thing that's been motivating me to get outside right now.

I've lost a lot of motivation lately. My bf of eight years has a lot going on with his life right now (new job, mom is dying) and doesn't have anything left to give to our relationship, so he wanted a break. And, in all honesty, I don't think we'll get back together, so the last thing I want to do is go out and run. AND, to top it off, he's a former smoker and just took up running about two weeks ago, and he already runs faster than me....ugh! So, needless to say, all I want to do is mope around and stuff my face with junk.

Like some others on here, it's all about the races for me. If I didn't enjoy those much, I'd never run again. :laughing: I have my first 10K on July 3, so that's about the only thing that's been motivating me to get outside right now.

I've lost a lot of motivation lately. My bf of eight years has a lot going on with his life right now (new job, mom is dying) and doesn't have anything left to give to our relationship, so he wanted a break. And, in all honesty, I don't think we'll get back together, so the last thing I want to do is go out and run. AND, to top it off, he's a former smoker and just took up running about two weeks ago, and he already runs faster than me....ugh! So, needless to say, all I want to do is mope around and stuff my face with junk.

Sorry to hear about your BF. Even though it is difficult right now for you try and take care of yourself and treat yourself well. Take some time to process and work through your situation. Just try and hang in there.

On a lighter note; when the going gets tough the tough go SHOPPING.

So sorry.. I agree with PP go Shopping... get new running stuff.
And as soon as you can, book your plane ticket to the race. This way you are locked it.

Thanks VickiHD and cantwaitvaca - your kind thoughts mean a lot:hug:

I have managed to do all of my long runs lately, so at least that's good. I've been doing 7 miles each weekend in prep for this 10K coming up. And I plan to shop at the expo they have going on before the race and get myself some new running gear.:)

The 10K is in Foxboro and ends at Gillette Stadium (home of the NE Patriots) by running through the tunnel and to the 50-yard line. There's a group of about 9 of us (adults and kids) doing either the 5K/10K. And with the fireworks afterward, we plan on having a good ol' time.

Holly

Thanks VickiHD and cantwaitvaca - your kind thoughts mean a lot:hug:

I have managed to do all of my long runs lately, so at least that's good. I've been doing 7 miles each weekend in prep for this 10K coming up. And I plan to shop at the expo they have going on before the race and get myself some new running gear.:)

The 10K is in Foxboro and ends at Gillette Stadium (home of the NE Patriots) by running through the tunnel and to the 50-yard line. There's a group of about 9 of us (adults and kids) doing either the 5K/10K. And with the fireworks afterward, we plan on having a good ol' time.

Holly

Sorry you are going through a lot, but sounds like you've got a plan. Hang in there. Keep running, but don't beat yourself up if you do take a few days to just sit around, eat junk and shop. We all need days like that every once in a while.

I was just looking at that race at Gillette--It's on July 3rd? I have a 5K on the 4th already scheduled, but that one does look like fun! Have a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter