• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone doing the Divas Half Marathon on Long Island? It looks like a lot of fun. I'm thinking about going for it.

My training is finally kicking into gear!:woohoo: Off my crutches, nothing is hurting my ankle, cleared to start slowly back in to my triathlon training on the bike and swimming. Perhaps I won't have to ditch the tri in september, just do the sprint distance instead of the olympic. Then on to the princess...

Great news and I hope you get to do the triathlon!!

I agree 36 mins is a great time!

Thank you girls. I think my perception is skewed so I am glad you made me feel better. I have a lot of runner friends and lately it seems everyone has been posting PR of -25 min 5K which is no where close to what I could do or even really am going shoot for.

39 weeks till the PHM! (I made this screenshot last night)
4653938_orig.jpg

Thank you girls. I think my perception is skewed so I am glad you made me feel better. I have a lot of runner friends and lately it seems everyone has been posting PR of -25 min 5K which is no where close to what I could do or even really am going shoot for.

I've been running for a couple of years now and the lowest 5K time I have is 28:something. If I specifically trained to make a 5K time goal I could *probably* get down to 25 min., but it would take a lot of focused and hard training, for me. A 30-35 minute 5K seems pretty middle of the road to me, and I think that's a fine place to be!

Of course, regardless of how long it takes anyone, we can always be proud we are out there doing it while everyone else is sleeping in!:goodvibes

Ran my second 5K today and was able to cut over 2 minutes off my time! It was a flatter course, but also about 10-15 degrees hotter. So, I feel like those factors canceled each other out. (At least that's what I'm telling myself. ;) )

I don't have another race until July, so my plan is to add in some core strength work and start training for a fall 10K.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Ran my second 5K today and was able to cut over 2 minutes off my time! It was a flatter course, but also about 10-15 degrees hotter. So, I feel like those factors canceled each other out. (At least that's what I'm telling myself. ;) )

I don't have another race until July, so my plan is to add in some core strength work and start training for a fall 10K.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Wow, 2 minutes - that's wonderful! And I completely agree with your formula of heat = hills - a definite accomplishment.

Happy Memorial Day tomorrow!

Hi everyone!! This will be my first time to run in the princess half marathon! Actually, this will be my first race ever! I'm super excited! My husband will be running/training with me! I hope to get great advice and motivation and give it as well! I've also started a blog to help me through this journey so feel free to follow my blog!! :-) hope everyone has an awesome memorial day!!!

Fabuloustodaynotfattomorrow.blogspot.com

Hi everyone!! This will be my first time to run in the princess half marathon! Actually, this will be my first race ever! I'm super excited! My husband will be running/training with me! I hope to get great advice and motivation and give it as well! I've also started a blog to help me through this journey so feel free to follow my blog!! :-) hope everyone has an awesome memorial day!!!

Fabuloustodaynotfattomorrow.blogspot.com

Welcome !!! Congrats on your decision to run and have this be your first race ever !!!

This will also be my first Princess 1/2 at WDW. I do the Disneyland 1/2 and Tinker Bell 1/2 at DLR. But this is the race I really have been waiting to and am looking forward to doing for a long time. More importantly I can't wait to run with a tiara. princess:

This is also a great place to get your questions answered by other Princesses who have done this before. As well as support and motivation too.

Oh, Princesses - first time getting up early to go run before the DH heads out to work. BLECH. I hate getting up early & due to blood sugar issues I CANNOT go out without something to eat. So, I wolfed down and English muffin and that thing sat there like a lump in my tummy since I didn't have time to let it settle before heading out. Also, it was ridiculously humid. I did 3 "easy" miles and was positively dripping when I got home. There was a rainstorm last night, and instead of cooling everything down, it just upped the sticky.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage the new princesses who are training in warmer climates to just throw time out the window this summer. Get the miles on your feet, but slow down and stretch out your intervals if you need to. You have plenty of time once the fall hits to work on cutting down your pace for the Princess. I started running (as in, finally getting up off the couch) during an Atlanta summer and it was the most blessed event to run in September when the humidity started to break - I didn't know running could be like that! :rotfl: I will never forget a friend telling me that slower interval running is really the only way to do long runs during the summer - and this was a friend who has completed 2 IronMans, so I feel pretty good about going with her opinion!

Ran my second 5K today and was able to cut over 2 minutes off my time!
Awesome - congrats! :banana:

Hi everyone!! This will be my first time to run in the princess half marathon!
Welcome aboard! Lots of us first-time Princesses hanging out here. I've found it to be a wonderful group to chat with. :goodvibes

There was a rainstorm last night, and instead of cooling everything down, it just upped the sticky.
Right?! It's been raining all weekend here, thanks to TS Beryl, on top of temps in the 90s, so my last couple runs felt like moving through swamp water. :crazy2:
Anyway, I just wanted to encourage the new princesses who are training in warmer climates to just throw time out the window this summer.
::yes:: I've finally accepted it and have made a real effort this past week to s l o w down my running pace, though I've upped the length of my run intervals. What a difference! Dropping my cadence from the 182-ish (I'm short!) I'd been doing to around 164-ish, I can keep going a lot longer in the heat. The neat thing is that my overall average pace isn't taking much of a hit, since I'm running longer, albeit slower. And that's good for my overly competitive brain! :rotfl:

Another thought on heat... I've been using a hand-held water bottle lately and taking just a sip about every other walk interval. Doing that, I took in about 4-5oz over 35 minutes and then another 4oz when I was done running, which, having weighed myself before and after, turned out to be exactly how much I'd sweat out. But the key to taking frequent small sips is that I've had no sloshiness, burps or cramps like I get trying to take in a couple ounces at a time mid-run. Thought I'd pass that newfound knowledge along!

This will be my first run at WDW. I'm not sure where my husband will be while I'm walking/running the 1/2. Will there be any Photopass people there to take pictures? I really would like a nice picture of me crossing the finish line.

Oh, Princesses - first time getting up early to go run before the DH heads out to work. BLECH.

There was a rainstorm last night, and instead of cooling everything down, it just upped the sticky.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage the new princesses who are training in warmer climates to just throw time out the window this summer. Get the miles on your feet, but slow down and stretch out your intervals if you need to. You have plenty of time once the fall hits to work on cutting down your pace for the Princess. I started running (as in, finally getting up off the couch) during an Atlanta summer and it was the most blessed event to run in September when the humidity started to break - I didn't know running could be like that!

GREAT tip on just *doing* it rather than trying to improve anything! Most of us in the South can hardly breathe when we walk outside due to the humidity, much less RUN, so just *doing* it will keep you active until September or so!

I hope you didn't get TOO much of a soaking from Beryl - here in Gainesville FL we are STILL getting rain and I don't really think it's going to stop until at least lunch time! It started on Sunday morning and it just keeps going!

Hang in there, gals! We can do this!!!

This will be my first run at WDW. I'm not sure where my husband will be while I'm walking/running the 1/2. Will there be any Photopass people there to take pictures? I really would like a nice picture of me crossing the finish line.

There will be professional photographers along the course and at the finish taking pics (make sure your bib # is clearly visible!!)...there will be video clips too...available online for you to purchase a week or so after the race. Individually, their prints are pretty pricey, but if you get a good set of pics that you like, you can purchase the whole "gallery" on a CD or digital download. I did that for the 2011 Princess and I believe it was $99 then. It's usually Brightroom at all the Disney races lately. At charachter stops along the course, there is normally a handler or another friendly princess runner there that will snap a pic for you with your own camera. I don't recall seeing any Photo Pass photogs at the races though...however I've only really done one race (Wine & Dine) where I actaully stopped for pics throughout, and we had our own camera...there weren't any Photo Pass people at any of the stops we made during that event...maybe someone else has seen photo pass during the event?

Good Morning!

I have really been struggling with motivation this week. I wasn't feeling it on Sunday, but my husband encouraged me to just get out there. I just wasn't motivated and ran almost a minute per mile slower than my usual pace and struggled through a shorter than usual run. I ended up just feeling blah about running.
Today, I also wasn't feeling it, but decided to head out anyway and go a different route. I ended up running a half a minute per mile faster than my normal pace and because the trail was different I ended up running a 1/2 mile more than I usually run. The new trail, combined with the improved performance has really upped my motivation. But I know keeping motivated over the next 9 months will be hard. I have some races scheduled to help, but my question to all of you --

What motivates you to get out and run when you just aren't feeling it? :cheer2:

Good Morning!

Races! I'll be honest, I don't really love running, yet. Maybe it will come, maybe not. But, I love racing. So, I've got races planned to keep me on track.

The other thing that really helps me is public accountability. Posting here, on Facebook, telling my friends, who ever will listen about my running helps because I feel the need to stay on track so that they next time I talk to them, I don't have to admit that I gave up.

Accountability motivates me. I've told everyone who would stand still for 5 seconds that I am doing the PHM. Also, I've told my DH and kids that if I don't do it, we won't go to WDW in Feb. I can't let them down -- or myself!!! :goodvibes

The other thing that really helps me is public accountability. Posting here, on Facebook, telling my friends, who ever will listen about my running helps because I feel the need to stay on track so that they next time I talk to them, I don't have to admit that I gave up.

I agree, I feel the same here. I tell everyone so there's no way I want to tell them I gave up. I have lost 40 lbs so far and 20 lbs from my goal. I feel so much better with my new healthy lifestyle.

I agree, I feel the same here. I tell everyone so there's no way I want to tell them I gave up. I have lost 40 lbs so far and 20 lbs from my goal. I feel so much better with my new healthy lifestyle.

Congrats on your weight loss.. :cheer2: I have about 20 or so pounds to my goal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter