The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is exciting to have a fellow Princess-in-training so close:yay:

I might be out of town for that May 19th race, but if I'm around maybe I'll sign up for that one. There's one on July 22 in Portland that I keep thinking about. It's the Shipyard Old Port Half Marathon and 5K (I'd just do the 5k), but there's live music and free beer afterward.

And thank's for the heads up on the 10K races. I'm going to look for that one at Camp Ellis. The only one that I found so far was on July 4 at LL Bean, but it looks like the last half of the race is mostly uphill.

I'm going to start my Princess training in July, but I would be happy to do some training runs with you. :) I don't know how much help I'll be because I'm not much of a runner, but I know we can both do this. I've done a few 5Ks over the years, but that's it, and I average about a 14min pace (right now, I run 30 seconds/walk 30 seconds). Hopefully, we'll have a winter like this year's so getting outside won't be so horrible.

Holly

Your 14 mm is WAY beyond me at this point. I'm still around a 17-18 mm. You have to start sometime though, and I'm still only walking.

I may have to look into that 5K in the Old Port in July. Free beer is always good, and a nice reward :D I still can't believe I'm taking on this task!!!

I am also hoping to have a winter like this one next year. This winter was fantastic and I can't believe it's 4/17 and currently 80 degrees out at 5:45 PM!!!!

Hi ladies! I just finished reading this thread, and you have me inspired! This weekend my boyfriend and I decided to start walking and to sign up or the Wine and Dine 5k so we have a goal in mind. I have more than 100 lbs to lose, and I just began doing Weight Watchers as well. You all have encouraged me to set a goal to be with you all at the Princess Marathon Weekend. I'm not sure yet if I'll do the 5k again or try for the half marathon, but I will definitely be there!

Good for you for setting a goal for yourself. I have 150 lbs to lose (I've already lost 30) and can't believe I've set the 1/2 Marathon as a goal for myself. Everyone here is really supportive and you've found a great spot to check in.

Aly, I just started reading your blog. Your weight loss is inspirational. I want to do the marathon, but I'd prefer to walk it. We'll see how far along I am when registration begins.

Thank you! My 2 best friends don't live near me. One is in CA and one in TX, so it's a great way to keep them caught up and it's therapeutic for me!

I am also hoping to have a winter like this one next year. This winter was fantastic and I can't believe it's 4/17 and currently 80 degrees out at 5:45 PM!!!!

I'll take the mild winter any day, but this 80 degrees business is much too early for me. Ran an easy 6, and was over an hour for the first time in months. blech. Looks like it's the return of the summer pace...

I ran 4 miles tonight and holy cow it was hot! Definately made a difference in my pace. I had t keep reminding myself that it's ok to be slower.

I ran 4 miles tonight and holy cow it was hot! Definately made a difference in my pace. I had t keep reminding myself that it's ok to be slower.

ugh, I know...it's getting to be that time again and I am soooo dreading it. It's a real mind game over the summer months to train your brain to be OK with a slower pace. Stay hydrated! We'll get through it! :thumbsup2

Ditto that. It's up to about 90 and high humidity here in FL and I'm annoyed at having to slow my pace just when I want to improve it. I was down to a sub-12:00 mile just as the heat came back and have been forcing myself to bring it up to 13:30ish lately. Also need to stop with the pre-dinner runs and wait until 7 or later, when the sun's lower. There will be no break in the heat here until Nov., but taking the sun out of the equation's got to help, right?! :faint:

I'll take the mild winter any day, but this 80 degrees business is much too early for me. Ran an easy 6, and was over an hour for the first time in months. blech. Looks like it's the return of the summer pace...

I like to run in temps between 40-60. :thumbsup2

Ditto that. It's up to about 90 and high humidity here in FL and I'm annoyed at having to slow my pace just when I want to improve it. I was down to a sub-12:00 mile just as the heat came back and have been forcing myself to bring it up to 13:30ish lately. Also need to stop with the pre-dinner runs and wait until 7 or later, when the sun's lower. There will be no break in the heat here until Nov., but taking the sun out of the equation's got to help, right?! :faint:

I don't know how you do it. I'm in Ohio and the humidity here gets pretty bad.. If I was in FL I guess I'd have to get up at 5am to run..
It really does stink to have to slow down when you know you can run faster!

I'm the exact same...normally between an 11:30-12 min pace, but shoot up to over 13 and twice the # of walk break intervals when the summer hits. It's that humidity that's such a killer. I swore up and down after the DL half last year (on Labor day wknd) I would not sign up for another half that required all those high training miles in the heat of the summer. so what did I do? I registered for the ToT 10 miler. same month...only 3 miles less. How quickly we forget the misery. :headache:

Guys Ii am thinking of running the princess it will be my first....dont no where to start really!!! I will be running alone but my family will be there to cheer me on

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this board!

I'm turning 40 this year and my birthday present to myself is going to be running this princess half! I've only ever run 5k - so this new challange is VERY exciting!

I'm going to ask lots of questions about this so I know what to expect - first I better finish reading everyone else's posts!

Let me start with this question - do a lot of you bring your families (those who don't run) to cheer you on? I am just worried my kids and hubby will want to walk the parks and I will be passed out after my run and to tired to do anything else!

See everyone there!

Jenn:cheer2:

I was toying with the idea of doing both. I'd do the 5k mostly for the pictures and wouldn't rush at all. I'm just not sure how good of an idea that is.

Anyone do both last year?

Guys Ii am thinking of running the princess it will be my first....don't no where to start really!!! I will be running alone but my family will be there to cheer me on

Hi Jockey! I was in your (running) shoes about 5 months ago. I knew I wanted to do it but I didn't know how!

(I'm 34ish, 55lb overweight, never ran in my life) Here's my plan:

Start with Jeff Galloway's Conditioning Program (or the "You so lazy you never even ran for a bus" plan)
Transition to the ever-popular Couch-to-5k Program
Transition to Jeff Galloway's Half-Marathon Training Program
Finish with Jeff Galloway's Princess Half-Marathon Training Program (this is the 2012 version, it should be updated by fall, when I need it).

Also, I'm doing this to get in shape and lose that aforementioned 55 pounds, so I'm tracking everything I eat at LoseIt.com. It keeps me honest (she says as she dunks another pretzel into peanut butter :rolleyes1)

I did the March of Dimes walk in my county a month ago as my first foray into, well, public walking, and I did 8.6 miles in 3 hours. I've got a 5k coming up next weekend and during my training walk/runs for that, I can do it in 52 minutes or less. Though, I'm hoping to shave a few minutes off that time before then!

I hope all those links help you! Print them out and stick them to the fridge so you know what day you have to do what and you won't get bogged down in the OMG-I'm-Doing-a-Half-Marathon!!!! of it all.

Oh, and I'll be running solo too! Good luck and keep hanging around the Dis for support and encouragement!

Hi everyone!

I'm turning 40 this year and my birthday present to myself is going to be running this princess half! I've only ever run 5k - so this new challange is VERY exciting!

I'm going to ask lots of questions about this so I know what to expect - first I better finish reading everyone else's posts!

Let me start with this question - do a lot of you bring your families (those who don't run) to cheer you on? I am just worried my kids and hubby will want to walk the parks and I will be passed out after my run and to tired to do anything else!

See everyone there!

the 2011 Princess was my first half and I brought a whole boat-load of people to cheer me on :cheer2: We all had a great time! Since we had such an early wake up on race day, the plan was to go back to the hotel after the race for 2-3 hours to get some rest and then go to a late lunch and then a park. I lasted alot longer than I thought I would that night...but when the exhaustion started to set in, I went downhill FAST. Most people say it's a good idea to keep moving for as long as you can after the race and I've found that hold true for me...staying mobile will help with the amount of soreness you'll have in the couple of days after the race. I remember finally getting back to the hotel that night and into bed and I was delirious...hysterically laughing for no apparent reason other than sheer exhaustion...it was comical. :rotfl2:

Feeling pretty good - I did a five mile walk today at a 14:47 pace! If I can do that now, still needing to lose 70-80 pounds, I should be golden by Princess time!

Hi everyone!

See everyone there!

Welcome Jenn! The Princess is the most fun you will ever have. This year was my first half and first Princess. This year DH and the kids came and my mom met us up at Disney. This year I definately want to do it again, but I am planning on doing it with a few friends and leaving the family at home! After I finished the race this year, we went back to the hotel so I could shower and then we hit the parks. It is definately better to keep moving so you don't stiffen up. We went to MK and then to Epcot for dinner and watched Illuminations. I think we got back to the room by 10:30. By then I was ready to pass out!

Hi everyone!

See everyone there!

Amazing how turning 40 leads you to goal setting:) I turn 40 in 1.5 weeks, and decided I needed to to the 1/2 Marathon in Feb. I just walked the 5K this February and it was my 1st.

I personally don't have a hubby or kids to bring w/ me so I'll be going alone. My friend is doing the 1/2 w/ me and my Mom is toying w/ the idea of coming to FL with me. After all it would be nice to have a family member there when I cross the finish line.

I'm not sure how folks feel about walking the parks after the 1/2. I know I'll be looking for a massage, hot tub, and a cocktail!

When I ran Princess a few years ago, I basically woke up, raced my heart out, and then went back to hotel room to eat, shower and head back out the parks. I spent the entire afternoon in Epcot, and then monorailed it back to the Contemporary for dinner at California Grill. Then, I headed back to Magic for fireworks and extra magic hours until 1 am. How I managed....I have no idea :lmao: Hey you only live once, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter