• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be 28 by the time of the race and I can't wait to meet u all in the race retreat! I'm putting together an athletic jasmine outfit for the race. I'm collecting a bunch of knowledge from u all since this is my first athletic endeavor since my military days yeeeeeeaaars ago lol. Eeek!

Will there be another thread for the race retreat meetup?

Right it seems like we are unofficially just taking roll call.

Is there a Princess that would like to make a Race Retreat W.I.S.H sign ? I'm just thinking maybe local so it's not another thing to pack in the over stuffed,over packed, heavy checked luggage. Or any ideas how we are able to make sure we all find each other at the retreat ? I've never been so I have NO idea how the set up is.

I'll be a race retreater, too, so I'll keep an eye out! I'm going with a couple of ladies I met years ago right here on the DIS. :goodvibes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I finally found a local 10K that fits into my pre-Princess schedule... it's on Feb. 2. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, lol! But heck - if I can't manage 6.2 by early Feb., I sure won't be doing the half, either.

Will it matter that it's that close to the Princess? Could I still bring my time to packet pick-up?

I'll be turning 50 in February. Yikes that sounds so old!.......but it's been my motivation for running & getting in better shape....the disney part is a birthday present to myself for getting there! :thumbsup2

Am I young on this thread? Woot! I'll take it after spending my days with 18-22 year olds. We were talking about the blizzard of '93 in one of my classes, and the guy sitting next to me said that was the year he was born. :sad: I'm 32.

Me too! :yay:

Also, in case anyone hasn't heard or seen it, the Disney Visa Discount is out and will open to the general public on 10/10 (I think?). I just cancelled through RunDisney and re-booked with the discount. In the end, it ends up saving us $210. More money for the expo! :woohoo:

Oh and I guess we're doing a roll-call? I'm 35 (but got carded 3 times this week at the Food & Wine Fest...WOO HOO! :rotfl2:)...live just outside of Houston, TX.

So proud you got carded...How was wine & food festival ? Hubby and I are headed there 21 Oct.

I'll be running into my 41st birthday at the W&D 1/2. :) I've been running Disney for about 4 years. Last year was my first PHM though.

Yeah more military people running ! :) For anyone with military affiliation, Shades of Green has a SUPER park hopper ticket offer from Sep 2012 through at least the PHM in Feb 2013. Go to the Shades of Green website for more info. Thanks Disney for your support of our military.

The price of freedom is not free !

So proud you got carded...How was wine & food festival ? Hubby and I are headed there 21 Oct.

Loved, loved, loved the F&W...this is something like my 4th or 5th trip out to the festival and it's really a fun time...this was probably the best one yet for me because we stayed at BW...the location just doesn't get any better than that if you're planning to spend time at the festival each day, like we did. We'd play up until about lunch time...hit a few booths for lunch then head back to the room to cool off, freshen up, rest or hit the pool then head back out close to dinner time for more booths. We tried to enjoy it like that slowly each day so that we didn't get ridiculously stuffed at any point and were able to really enjoy ourselves...and really indulge! We ran ToT on saturday night and with the amount of sweat we poured out from the ridiculous humidity that night, we figure we broke even by the end of the trip...:rotfl2:. (yeah right!) Portions seemed really big to me compared to other years. I would've liked to try more of the wines, but the heat and humidity had me chugging water like it was going out of style, so I only had a few. I ended up with a heat rash for a few days, so I was trying to take it easy. Already thinking about where to stay for F&W 2013 :rotfl: Hoping they will move the W&D half again away from the last weekend of the festival so we can run that one again, but not holding my breath...and probably would not go back for ToT anytime soon if ever, it was disappointing compared to other Disney races. Have fun at the festival...wish I was still there!!!

Loved, loved, loved the F&W...this is something like my 4th or 5th trip out to the festival and it's really a fun time...this was probably the best one yet for me because we stayed at BW...the location just doesn't get any better than that if you're planning to spend time at the festival each day, like we did. We'd play up until about lunch time...hit a few booths for lunch then head back to the room to cool off, freshen up, rest or hit the pool then head back out close to dinner time for more booths. We tried to enjoy it like that slowly each day so that we didn't get ridiculously stuffed at any point and were able to really enjoy ourselves...and really indulge! We ran ToT on saturday night and with the amount of sweat we poured out from the ridiculous humidity that night, we figure we broke even by the end of the trip...:rotfl2:. (yeah right!) Portions seemed really big to me compared to other years. I would've liked to try more of the wines, but the heat and humidity had me chugging water like it was going out of style, so I only had a few. I ended up with a heat rash for a few days, so I was trying to take it easy. Already thinking about where to stay for F&W 2013 :rotfl: Hoping they will move the W&D half again away from the last weekend of the festival so we can run that one again, but not holding my breath...and probably would not go back for ToT anytime soon if ever, it was disappointing compared to other Disney races. Have fun at the festival...wish I was still there!!!

SO. JEALOUS. (well, except the heat rash...)

Back before we were beholden to the almighty school calendar we loved loved loved F&W. Haven't been in a couple of years and I'm dying to go back! And now that they have a race associated...aaaah, it is killing me! And you're right, the Epcot resorts can't be beat for F&W going. Glad you had a great time, and congrats on the race even if you didn't love it. Was there anything specific you didn't love about it?

SO. JEALOUS. (well, except the heat rash...)
Was there anything specific you didn't love about it?
Yeah, there seems to be a general concensus that they really dropped the ball on this one where entertainment was concerned. It was just really boring...very few characters on the course and only one DJ. I mean, yeah, we're there just to run, but I think we all do the Disney races specifically for the entertainment they provide...it was really disappointing, especially since they played it up so much as a villians themed race...they really could've gone all out and they just didn't. :confused3 We couldn't believe how long it took to even come up on the first character stop (a Lion King float/puppet piece? Doesn't exactly scream villian to me)...which ended up being the only one we stopped for, so that was a bummer. It seemed to be organized pretty well though from what I could tell...no bottlenecks at the finish, and bag pick up went quickly though it was waaaay across the park from the finish and was on the stage area of Indiana Jones...meaning we had to walk DOWN STAIRS to get our bag and then back UP STAIRS to get out...a very cruel joke, runDisney :) We didn't stay for the afterparty, but I hear it was way overcrowded and the few characters there were very hard to find...it seems CM's didn't know where to find them either. The crummy weather really made everything worse too...which was obviously no one's fault. The humidity was oppressive and I've read about soooo many people getting sick and passing out just after finishing. Hopefully the medical staff was prepared! Definitely wasn't my best race by a long shot, but at least I finished...I felt very sick and got the chills around mile 5 or 6 and had to slow way down...I think I was getting too close to heat exhaustion. I'm just glad my BF ran this one with me...I wouldn't have wanted to be alone feeling the way I did. I suspect in the next year or so, it'll get better...runDisney seems to be good at hearing and responding to the complaints they get about their races...just seemed like they should've known better to begin with...it's not their first rodeo, you know??

Thank you guys for posting about the Disney Visa discount.

Just saved $280.00. Well...I should say that I have $280.00 more to spend at the expo and shopping. :cool1:

Yeah more military people running ! :) For anyone with military affiliation, Shades of Green has a SUPER park hopper ticket offer from Sep 2012 through at least the PHM in Feb 2013. Go to the Shades of Green website for more info. Thanks Disney for your support of our military.

The price of freedom is not free !

ToT was my last race on Active Duty and W&D will be my first as a retiree. :)

We are Annual Passholders (living so close), but your right - the Military Salute ticket is a FANTASTIC deal - I encouraged all my Airmen to take advantage of it!! :) Even if they use all 4 days during Food & Wine Fest - they wouldn't be disappointed. LOL

(BTW, the current Military Salute is effective 1 Oct 12 - 30 Sep 12.)

I, too, am a fan of the Epcot Resorts, particularly during F&W. We are partial to the Dolphin, especially with their military rate. :thumbsup2

Are we all 40?? I'm feeling more and more on this thread at home everytime I read that :) :rotfl2:

I would put Bodyglide and sunscreen on my must have list...even 20 yr old princesses chafe. I can only imagine what this will be like for me at 40! It helps your clothes not cut into you with the repeated rubbing. Some people use vaseline, but bodyglide lasts longer.

Yep, I'm 40 too. I'll be 41 at the 2013 PHM. Body Glide is the best stuff EVER!! It seems like with each run lately I find new places that need some. Sometimes I wish I had a small stick of it that I could take on a run for those "surprise" chafing areas.

For ToT, I wonder if they pulled characters because of the heat? You would think they would have that worked out. It is Florida in Sept. it's not unheard of to still be hot. I noticed at PHM this year that there was a trailer near each character. I'm assuming that's where they went to "switch". But, I agree, we all do Disney races for the Disneyness of it.

Love it!!! lol

As we get closer, we can make a list of everyone (names or screen names) to add to it. Isn't like neon green the official DIS color? I think I could find a double sided poster that color.

Sounds good. I'm with the non-retreaters.

As far as neon green goes, I'll be wearing that as it's also the color of Shot@Life- a charity I'll be raising money for with this race. Shot@Life educates, connects and empowers Americans to champion vaccines as one of the most cost-effective ways to save the lives of children in developing countries. (www.shotatlife.org)

Here's my donation page if anyone would like to donate! http://www.crowdrise.com/shotlife/fundraiser/cindylevin#top
(and now you know what I look like to look for me pre-race)

If anyone else wants to run for this charity OR ANY OTHER, let me know if you'd like help. www.crowdrise.com is a site we can use to raise money for any 501(c)(3) in the US. It takes about 15 minutes to set up a page to accept donations and you can even post a video to it.

After I ran my first marathon, I swore I'd never do something that hard again unless it was going to save someone's life. Hey, you're doing something amazing anyway. You can save a child's life with every $20 you raise! Wish come true, anyone?

Yep, I'm 40 too. I'll be 41 at the 2013 PHM. Body Glide is the best stuff EVER!! It seems like with each run lately I find new places that need some. Sometimes I wish I had a small stick of it that I could take on a run for those "surprise" chafing areas.

I did see a tiny stick of "Body Glide for Women" I asked what the difference was and the sales person had no answer. I guess the real answer was "less product for higher price" I went ahead and bought the bigger one :confused3

Ask around at running stores and booths at race expos. I know they make small ones. Our running group managed to get some that are about the size of half a pack of gum, perfect for throwing in a pocket or belt on a long run.

What kind of discount does visa offer??? I just want to know, what I can save on the 10th, when it opens to the public :cool1:

I just called the WDW reservation agent and had her check to see if using the Disney Chase Visa discount/promotion would save us $$ on our existing reservation. The agent checked and just changed the code on her end and it saved us $$$.

I would call right away to check--it can't hurt to check. Calling earlier may help too since they may have a limited number of rooms availiable under this promotion.

Hope this helps and good luck. :)

Yeah, there seems to be a general concensus that they really dropped the ball on this one where entertainment was concerned. It was just really boring...very few characters on the course and only one DJ. I mean, yeah, we're there just to run, but I think we all do the Disney races specifically for the entertainment they provide...it was really disappointing, especially since they played it up so much as a villians themed race...they really could've gone all out and they just didn't. :confused3 We couldn't believe how long it took to even come up on the first character stop (a Lion King float/puppet piece? Doesn't exactly scream villian to me)...which ended up being the only one we stopped for, so that was a bummer. It seemed to be organized pretty well though from what I could tell...no bottlenecks at the finish, and bag pick up went quickly though it was waaaay across the park from the finish and was on the stage area of Indiana Jones...meaning we had to walk DOWN STAIRS to get our bag and then back UP STAIRS to get out...a very cruel joke, runDisney :) We didn't stay for the afterparty, but I hear it was way overcrowded and the few characters there were very hard to find...it seems CM's didn't know where to find them either. The crummy weather really made everything worse too...which was obviously no one's fault. The humidity was oppressive and I've read about soooo many people getting sick and passing out just after finishing. Hopefully the medical staff was prepared! Definitely wasn't my best race by a long shot, but at least I finished...I felt very sick and got the chills around mile 5 or 6 and had to slow way down...I think I was getting too close to heat exhaustion. I'm just glad my BF ran this one with me...I wouldn't have wanted to be alone feeling the way I did. I suspect in the next year or so, it'll get better...runDisney seems to be good at hearing and responding to the complaints they get about their races...just seemed like they should've known better to begin with...it's not their first rodeo, you know??

Thanks for the review. Honestly, I'm not all about character meet & greets, but it is fun to see them out there on the course for sure! And yeah, sounds like they could have totally "villained it up" Oh well, maybe they'll get some good feedback for next year.

Sometimes I wish I had a small stick of it that I could take on a run for those "surprise" chafing areas.

Chapstick will do the trick too, and super easy to keep in a pocket or pouch.

Another tip on chapstick (or glide works for this too) - if you have problems with sweat dripping into your eyes, slick down your eyebrows with chapstick and they'll work to divert the droplets around your eyes. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter