The July (2010) Plan needs Pixie Dust: DVC, Minivan & Twins Included

I don't know that I have actually ever shared this story. Some of you may find it amusing. It certainly was a way to pop my inflated I've-researched-and-know-so-much ego that I wore on our first trip.

The last night of our Disney vacation in 2008, we were in Epcot. I told my husband we should leave via International Gateway (aka -the back way). It was late and we were in World Showcase. (Mind you, we were headed to the Poly. :rolleyes1)

We went that way, and we walked around the Boardwalk (which I did NOT research or even know anything about.) We walked the entire Boardwalk, and headed past the Swan and Dolphin. Making a left around one or the other. I saw the lights for DHS, so I kind of kept going that way. Somehow, we were on the side of the hotel with a road next to us. Mini golf across the street. I found a door for the hotel and we ducked in(the convention area of the hotel). It was ENORMOUS and EMPTY. At one point, I was extremely nervous thinking we were in our own Tower of Terror. Finally, I found the lobby. (It was probably 10 or 11 at night.) My DH and kids were absolutely beat, and no one whined or complained once. (I felt so stupid and terrible about the whole situation!)

I asked the employee at the desk (after explaining my very pathetic attempt to take a shortcut back to the Poly:sad2:) how we could get back to our hotel. She said we could take a town car (oh yeah, let me now pay $$$$ on top of getting us lost; DH would :love: me! ) or we could take a bus to downtown Disney and catch a bus to the Poly from there.

Which is what we did, meanwhile, we stopped at BW, YC, BC...then drove to DTD to wait forever for a Poly bus. :scared1:

Shortcut out the back must have taken us two hours to get home.

DH is a kind man. He did not complain or make me feel bad in any way. (Heck, I felt so bad already, I can't imagine anything could have made it worse.)

This little venture kicked my know-it-all self's butt!

Also, on this trip, DH and I took the boat to DHS. We passed BCV and BWV. We could not fathom why anyone would want to stay at those resorts. :rolleyes1 They looked peaceful, but they seemed so far removed from everything. We were such Disney neophytes! I am quite excited to stay at those resorts in 27 days (Staying at AKV first- which is far from most everything! haha)

We've all made our own Disney blunders at some point in our past! I bet you know where all the hotels are now! ;)

Lucky you that your DH never complained -- mine would have been going non-stop the whole time. :laughing:

Yeah, we get out late up here!!!:sad2: We always start back before labor day. (This year we start back on Aug. 31). Then we have two week long vacations (1 in February and 1 in April) and we have to add on any days missed for snow. I hate it!:upsidedow I heard the same thing about TS3. I can't wait to see it.:woohoo: I just hope it doesn't upset my DS too much. He starts to cry every time someone mentions his sister going away to college.:sad1: We fondly refer to it as "the C word" around here!;)

We've all made our own Disney blunders at some point in our past! I bet you know where all the hotels are now! ;)

Lucky you that your DH never complained -- mine would have been going non-stop the whole time. :laughing:

Yeah, my DH musn't have been too tired or hungry. He isn't really a complainer, though. My daughters must have been to high on pixie duest though. :lmao:

I look forward to exploring the Boardwalk with a different eye this time. :rotfl:

Yeah, we get out late up here!!!:sad2: We always start back before labor day. (This year we start back on Aug. 31). Then we have two week long vacations (1 in February and 1 in April) and we have to add on any days missed for snow. I hate it!:upsidedow I heard the same thing about TS3. I can't wait to see it.:woohoo: I just hope it doesn't upset my DS too much. He starts to cry every time someone mentions his sister going away to college.:sad1: We fondly refer to it as "the C word" around here!;)

The week long vacations must be nice. Considering those, you really aren't out that much later than we were. (I was out the 16th and my daughters were out the 18th. Snow days added about 4 or 5 days.)

My brother is ten years younger and we were (are) close. He adjusted well when I moved (I commuted to college intially). Hopefully, your DS will be as resilient.

Last night, I was able to conquer the planning woes! Disney came out with additional hours, and only one EMH changed (crossing fingers).

One problem was that I had dinner scheduled for one park and wanted to go to another park after dinner. Ugh. I rearranged some dining plans :woohoo: and my new plan makes so much more sense! For example, we were supposed to go to Teppan Edo for dinner and head to HS for Fantasmic. Although we will be at an Epcot resort, it just seems like too much wasted travel time.

I did find that I had scheduled one of the meals so we would still have a dining credit to use. After looking at the menu, I would be better off having it as a credit. Thus, I decided to add more DDP - which meant three more days of dining plan.

These are the restaurants that made the final cut:

breakfast: 1900 Park Fare
dinners: Cape May Cafe
Yak and Yeti
Hollywood Brown Derby (oop)
Ohana
Teppan Edo
Les Chefs de France
Sci Fi

Park Fare and Ohana are the two favs; the rest are all new for us.

I need to free up some ressie times now for some lucky folks!

We saw Toy Story 3 tonight. It was as good as everyone has said. I only cried at the end when Andy was playing with Bonnie.

I asked my daughters if they wanted to go home and play with their toys. They both said that they don't really have toys. They have stuffed animals - tons of them. (Hannah had Buzz; they had Barbies, but they never really played with them.) I told them their animals were still in their closet (tons of plastic animals.) Emma asked if they still had their blocks. I told her that they are in their closet and maybe tomorrow they can build a zoo or something for the animals. (Trying really hard to keep them eight!) Then Emma said she wished they had legos. I told her she could get them in Disney. She of course asked her sister if she wanted Legos, probably to confirm that it was okay to own them. Thankfully, Hannah wants them too.

At one point, we had Toy Story toys. Not tons, but some little mini cars and a couple of Buzzes. I wish I had kept them. :sad1:

Now, I am so sad that Lotso didn't redeem himself. Now I don't want to see him in the parks! Before I wanted to hug him!

Lotso being the bad guy was a bit of a shocker, wasn't it? Pretty sure we won't be bringing home a plush of him in July! :sad2:

Glad you liked the movie! I felt the same way you did afterwards about wanting to keep our kids little! This growing up thing is a bit hard on us moms! :goodvibes

Your ADR's look great. Park Fare had really good food at dinner. I am sure the breakfast is good too. The characters were wonderful there. Ohana is one of our favorites too.:thumbsup2

Hi there! I finally made it over...sorry for that!

I've read all of your posts from your index, though I didn't get in on the conversations. I think you've got a good handle on things! Your final ADRs look great, and your list of things to do in the car also sound great. I envy you - there's no way we could drive all night! If you make it through it'll be great!! If not, it's still doable - we did it!

Your family looks lovely, and I can't wait to keep reading as you keep getting closer!

ps - I also want emoticons on my emails! There were several other things I wanted to agree with you on as I read...but I don't remember them. :rolleyes:

Lotso being the bad guy was a bit of a shocker, wasn't it? Pretty sure we won't be bringing home a plush of him in July! :sad2:

Glad you liked the movie! I felt the same way you did afterwards about wanting to keep our kids little! This growing up thing is a bit hard on us moms! :goodvibes

I wonder how many people want to scold Lotso!? I read on another thread a theory that the Lotso in the park is the one the little girl received after she lost the angry Lotso. :rotfl:

Your ADR's look great. Park Fare had really good food at dinner. I am sure the breakfast is good too. The characters were wonderful there. Ohana is one of our favorites too.:thumbsup2

My DH loves the breakfast there; it was one of his few requests. My DDs aren't very interested in characters, but I love Tigger, so they might have to take one for Team Mom.

I can't remember if you booked Ohana; guess I will find out as I read you TR. I am excited to read about the Nightastic fireworks.

Hi there! I finally made it over...sorry for that!

I've read all of your posts from your index, though I didn't get in on the conversations. I think you've got a good handle on things! Your final ADRs look great, and your list of things to do in the car also sound great. I envy you - there's no way we could drive all night! If you make it through it'll be great!! If not, it's still doable - we did it!

Your family looks lovely, and I can't wait to keep reading as you keep getting closer!

ps - I also want emoticons on my emails! There were several other things I wanted to agree with you on as I read...but I don't remember them. :rolleyes:

Welcome and thanks for reading! (You've been pretty busy with preparing for the trip and doing the masters!) I am not sure if we can drive all night, but we are going to give it a go. I think the excitement will certainly help. DH doesn't get much sleep at night anyway, so he should be okay. (I on the other hand, need at least eight hours. :rotfl2:I will have a list of hotel options, just in case.

I feel like an update is in order.

Okay, this is so ridiculous. DH and I took the kids and went to BJs Warehouse to purchase a new cooler, water, sunscreen and snacks for our trip. This created stress for me!

First the amazing deal- the water. It was $3.59 for a 32 pack; buy 2 and get $4.00 off, PLUS, buy two and get a free flavored water 32 pack (retail 7.99). I noticed when we were in the car that the $7.99 didn't get removed and sent DH back in. He came back and said they took $9 off. So we bought 96 bottles of water for $2.18. :woohoo:

Now, the stress. The cooler is enormous!! How on earth are we going to fit this in the van with the two suitcases, a toiletry bag and an overnight bag. If it was a normal cooler, no problem, super cooler, problem!

It will fit, but do we need it? It does wheel with a convenient pilot's handle. The old one, the smaller one, doesn't have wheels. This would be a pain to lug. Okay, so the "super cooler" it is.

Awesome deal on the water! If it makes you feel any better, our van was literally so full that the kids had to climb over seats to get out!:eek: Talk about overpacking...we came back with quite a bit of stuff we never used, and still ended up at Walmart that first night buying things we didn't bring with us so that we wouldn't have to pack them!! :rotfl2: So you're ahead of us! ;)

Wow! That is a super water deal!:thumbsup2
I agree thats an awesome deal for the water

I was looking into some type of filtered water bottle. Britta discontinued the fill in go. I hate using all that plastic. The price makes it so cheap, no wonder people drink bottled water. (At home, I have a filter on my faucet and at school I have a pitcher with a filter.)

Awesome deal on the water! If it makes you feel any better, our van was literally so full that the kids had to climb over seats to get out!:eek: Talk about overpacking...we came back with quite a bit of stuff we never used, and still ended up at Walmart that first night buying things we didn't bring with us so that we wouldn't have to pack them!! :rotfl2: So you're ahead of us! ;)

Okay, you have three kids and one still needs all the extra equipment, right? I am determined to only take what we will use. :laughing: I'll report back on how THAT goes.

I decided to make this update a special treat! I am posting photos. (I am really not so good about that! I will certainly have to ensure that I post pics on the TR!)

Here is the SUPER COOLER. (It isn't really that big compared to the mamoth one the people in line -that we let go ahead of us out of pity- were buying.) But really, for our purposes on this trip, it really is large!

20 lbs cat food bag to show size. haha

IMG_3895.jpg

Inside view, so you can see the depth.

IMG_3896.jpg

Some items to be packed. (a small bag of bowls, plastic ware, cups, plates for breakfast in villa studio; sunscreen, chips, little wrapped gifts for the ride for the girls- travel journals and zebra pens - Michaels $1 each, 20 questions game $5 Below; binoculars (some extremely cheap website - $5 each maybe - from Hong Kong.); erasable colored pencils; glow bracelets.

IMG_3894.jpg

Some of my new threads for our trip...

Our one kitten, Skittle, decided to be photographed...
IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

The T-shirts I made for DDs. They each selected the design. Emma's was easy. She liked a tie dye head. Hannah had in her mind that she wanted fireworks over the castle at night! :sad2: I was worried that we would never find what she saw in her mind. Fortunately, we found one she loved.

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

:goodvibes Saved the best for last...

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

I wanted to get some type of id holder and lanyard for our KTTW cards and our APs. DH wanted to make sure I didn't want official Disney. Which of course, I would have, but I read that they weren't sturdy and that they were too big for APs. I stopped at Staples and bought the one above for 4.99 (plus PA tax). I painted the LGMH on the clear vinyl pouch where you put in your ID. On the back it has a pocket where the strap is attached (that you can use) and a zipped pouch. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Trip purchases are always so much fun!!! I love the Peace Mickey t-shirt and the shirts you made for DD! Great lanyard! It will be perfect to hold your KTTW card!

The cooler is huge, but I have a feeling you'll be glad you have it!

Cool purchases. I like all of your shirts. The girls made good choice with their designs. The lanyard will come in very handy. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter