The "I've Waited Forever to Go Solo" Mom's Leaving Everyone Behind Trip! Updt 3/11

Hartford is only an hour from us.

It IS a small world after all! :goodvibes I'm about 30 min south east of Bradley airport.

I prefer a towncar, a specific company that the DIS will no longer let me name. But I like them alot, they have been great, clean, ontime, and friendly. The main reasons I prefer to spend the money instead of taking the free bus ride are:

1. I am vehemently opposed to leaving for Orlando Airport 3 hours in advance. Way too early in my humble opinion. I want every last minute of the magic that I can get. Which means not leaving 3 hours before my flight.

2. I do like the grocery stop to pick up a few little things for the room.

3. I like to pamper myself a little and after getting off a crowded plane I kind of like having my own private set of wheels waiting to whisk me off to my hotel, not having to wait for my bus to fill, not having to wait for other hotels to let off. Call me spoiled that way but I prefer to start my vacations that way.

Hmmm... now you have me thinking about this. I hate getting to the airport early and as for #3 you had me at "pamper." Would you PM me the name of the thou shalt not be named car company?

Next up, ADRs!

Awesome! LOVE eating. popcorn::

when the host asked me who I was with I told him I was there alone - I had run away for Mother's Day.....I got a round of applause.

That is PERFECT!!! What an AWESOME Mother's Day present, now I know what I want!!!

Actually I'm reading this post with lots of interest because I'm thinking about going for my birthday in January. ::yes::

Hmmm, ok, well in the last 4 pages of reading I've convinced myself that I AM going. Is there a club for Solo Trippin' Moms? If so, I want to join!!

I'm tempted to type the towncar co. I always use to see if it's the one...lol...ok so how can you tell the "Disapproved" companies from the "DIS - approved" companies? :)

Wow! It seems like just yesterday I was laughing at the video of your "reveal gone wrong" and now you have a whole 'nother trippie under your belt and a pre-trippie to boot! Where does the time go? :confused3

Loved your report with your mom and papa, your kids still remind me of mine. My dd10 is also lip gloss obsessed and usually the world is all about her. Sigh... I am so jealous of your solo trip! One day maybe I'll get to do it, but no time soon. We have #4 on the way, due in December. So, no Mountains for me on our October trip..... Can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trip. Lucky, lucky, lucky you! :goodvibes

I have flown out of TF Green to Atlanta and out of Manchester to Orlando. Both experiences were wonderful compared to flying out of Logan! Smaller airports, easy to find your way around and park, not too crowded, etc. I'd be interested to hear how Harford is.

We did get snacks on board - cereal bars on the morning flight and crackers on the evening flight. They also had water, soda and juice. I don't think they have food or drinks for sale.
Yes Logan is so busy and huge and crazy. I think Hartford will be good and easier to get in and out of.

It IS a small world after all! :goodvibes I'm about 30 min south east of Bradley airport.
Hmmm... now you have me thinking about this. I hate getting to the airport early and as for #3 you had me at "pamper." Would you PM me the name of the thou shalt not be named car company?
Awesome! LOVE eating. popcorn::
A CT girl, I had no idea! Hello neighbor!

Hmmm, ok, well in the last 4 pages of reading I've convinced myself that I AM going. Is there a club for Solo Trippin' Moms? If so, I want to join!!

I'm tempted to type the towncar co. I always use to see if it's the one...lol...ok so how can you tell the "Disapproved" companies from the "DIS - approved" companies? :)
I think there needs to be a Solo Trippin' Moms Club! Count me in! And if you type a name of a company that is DIS banned when you post it will come up as all asterix.

Wow! It seems like just yesterday I was laughing at the video of your "reveal gone wrong" and now you have a whole 'nother trippie under your belt and a pre-trippie to boot! Where does the time go? :confused3

Loved your report with your mom and papa, your kids still remind me of mine. My dd10 is also lip gloss obsessed and usually the world is all about her. Sigh... I am so jealous of your solo trip! One day maybe I'll get to do it, but no time soon. We have #4 on the way, due in December. So, no Mountains for me on our October trip..... Can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trip. Lucky, lucky, lucky you! :goodvibes
Well hello! It has been a long time! I am so glad you found me! Yes we had the trip in March and then this one just sort of happened, I wasn't planning to go again this year! I am glad it worked out this way though. I see you have a trip coming up too! And #4! Congratulations to you! Boy? Girl?

Allyson

I just had a very long thing typed and clicked here and there and POOF! Gone! AAAUUUGGGHHH! I will never learn to save my work!

I will have to come back tomorrow. I plan to tell you about my ADRs and ask for some suggestions. One ADR I love and am excited about, the other 2 not so much and then there is another night that I need to find something for!

I'll check in tomorrow with the scoop and I'll save my work so I don't lose it again!

Allyson:surfweb:

I just had a very long thing typed and clicked here and there and POOF! Gone! AAAUUUGGGHHH! I will never learn to save my work!

I will have to come back tomorrow. I plan to tell you about my ADRs and ask for some suggestions. One ADR I love and am excited about, the other 2 not so much and then there is another night that I need to find something for!

I'll check in tomorrow with the scoop and I'll save my work so I don't lose it again!

Oh Allyson!! I'm so sorry that happened to you! :(

Patience isn't my strong suit, but I'll do my best. ::yes:: :rotfl:

Well hello! It has been a long time! I am so glad you found me! Yes we had the trip in March and then this one just sort of happened, I wasn't planning to go again this year! I am glad it worked out this way though. I see you have a trip coming up too! And #4! Congratulations to you! Boy? Girl?

Allyson

We won't know for a month or so. The other kids want to know, dh and I would prefer a surprise but we'll probably give into the kids.

My mom used to live in Hartford. It is a nice little airport, much less intimidating than Logan, that's for sure! Looking forward to hearing about your ADR's.popcorn::

Let's try this again tonight and hope I don't do the mystery mis-click and wipe it all out!

So we have the hotel and transportation taken care of. At the moment I have a 3 day park pass but I think I am going to add hopping to that. That pass starts the day Free Dining (FD from now on) kicks in. I do want to hit a park on my arrival day so I am debating buying a multi day, no expiration pass since I am heading back in January and August of 2009. Still need to figure that out.

But the big thing to decide is the food. Especially with Free Dining, need to know where to eat. And I love eating out. Love it! But this is a little different, I'm alone this time. Oooooh this makes it more interesting. I can't say I'm a huge fan of eating alone but I have done it before. I see it as a personal challenge actually. But it is factoring big time into my restaurant selections.

Isn't it crazy, this whole ADR thing? I mean grown people get crazed, consulting spreadsheets:surfweb: and websites and books, reviewing menus and locations, debating the pros and cons of a character breakfast vs a character dinner and all to determine where to eat six months from now. It really is kind of silly when you think about it! But most of us DISers do this and armed with spreadsheets and a telephone we set to work to get that prized ADR.

So I'll tell you with the dining plan I have 3TS to plan. I have booked them but am not sold on them all yet. I'd love your input, thoughts, past experiences, you know what I mean. My goal for this trip was to eat at new places or places I haven't been in a while or that my family doesn't really care for. It is also to find places where as a solo I will feel more comfortable. I'm not sure what I am looking for in that except I don't want anywhere really overly romantic.

So what do I have? Well let's go day by day shall we?

Saturday: Arrival day and no dining plan yet. I am meeting a friend this evening for dinner and quite excited! You see we have known each other 9 years but have never met. Let me explain. We both joined an online Mother's group for Moms of October 1999 Babies back in, well 1999. And we've known each other via this group ever since. She lives just 45 minutes away from Disney and is going to meet me for dinner. It will be so fun to meet her in person! So I told her how about we meet in the Boardwalk area so she won't have to buy a park ticket and I can just walk over from Epcot. But where to eat? ESPN Club doesn't take reservations and I imagine it could be packed on a Saturday night. Big River Brewery? Cape May Buffet? What do you think? I don't have anything set up yet for this night.

Sunday: Planning to be in DHS at night so I wanted dinner there. I just did the Sci Fi in March so scratch that. I don't want to eat there alone anyways. I don't want to use 2 TS for Brown Derby. I haven't heard many good things about Hollywood and Vine. So I booked Mama Melrose. I have never been. I did view the menu at allearsnet.com (love that site for the menus) and the Chicken with Pipette Pasta looks yummy to me as does the Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake. But is it a good place for a solo diner? I have never been inside? Is it dark and romantic? I don't really want overly dark places, I know I sound a little Sally of Harry Met Sally (I'll take the restaurant, with bright lighting and cheerful understanding that I-Just-Need-A-Break-So-That-Is-Why-I'm-Alone servers, nice food presentation and dessert with ice cream on the side. With sprinkles. And a Cherry.) but I can't help it, I do have a few little criteria issues this time. I figure if it is too dark I can't read or write in a journal if I so choose. So my other option this evening is 50s Prime Time. And I like the idea of eating at the bar here. Then I would have said Bartender to converse with perhaps and even maybe some bar stool mates. Something about sitting at a bar, you do tend to develop an instant cameraderie with those around you. I have been told that you do not need an ADR to sit at the bar and that you can order off the full menu. Should I just try to do this? And cancel MM? What do you think?

Monday: Going to be in Epcot this evening so I wanted a little WS. I didn't want Le Cellier as much as I adore it. We ate there the last 2 trips and this trip is about new places. I tried for Nine Dragons but they'll be closed for rehab. The CM offered me Teppan Edo but I wasn't feeling it. I don't know if I want to do the sit at the table with the strangers thing. I do enjoy Japanese food though. But there is a great Japanese place quite near me (go figure, in the middle of nowhere) and I can get sushi there anytime. So I politely declined. I ended up booking San Angel Inn. I do like Mexican food and it has been years since I ate here. However, dark. Dark dark dark. And close tables. Is it too romantically intimate to be alone? Will I regret it and feel awkward? :confused3 Will I be able to even see my book? This might need to go but to what? I thought about Marrakesh, there is a place my family would never enjoy. I like the menu and I love the Moroccan pavilion, I think it is the most delightful one to be in, I really *feel* like I am in Morocco, but I have to say, the desserts don't thrill me and I am a dessert lovin' gal. Any suggestions?

Tuesday: This is the night I am going to be MK bound so I wanted to be in the general area. I decided on a place I have always wanted to try, have read such good things about and most recently PiscesAngel's report got me really determined to try it. I am eating at Kona and this is the one ADR I am not changing. I am really excited about it! :hyper:

So I got my three with no trouble at the times I asked for, a bonus of being a party of one. Pretty easy to be fit in I think. I am still actually debating some others I could pay OOP. I really would like to try Yak and Yeti for lunch after seeing a report on it. But I could just try the CS and see how I like it. The food style just appeals to me. And I still am toying with a character breakfast. I really love when you can get in the park early and beat the rush. And I do like a nice breakfast once in a while. So I am debating adding one of those too.

Counter service? Well I'll probably play it by ear. GASP, there it is again, that solo trip induced not planning every moment. It is much easier I think to be a little more spontaneous when you are alone and don't have anyone else to worry about. I'll be eating at Columbia Harbor House one day as part of the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. I'd like to maybe nibble through Epcot and try a little of this and that. A turkey leg? I've never done that, it is so, so cavemanish but this is a trip of Never Been Dones so maybe?

Got to run peeps, the Celtics are on, Game 6. We have a lot riding on our guys in Green. We bought a nice big ole TV in December and the deal our store was offering was if the Celtics win the Championship we get our money back! So we are rooting hard for the Celtics and would appreciate any pixie dust you can send their way! :wizard: If we get our $1200 back think of what I could do with that! LOL! Actually I doubt Grumpy would find that funny but I do!

Have a great weekend, share your ADR thoughts, and I'll be back to put together my list of what I hope to accomplish this trip!

Let's see: here are my opinions for what they are worth.

In the Boardwalk area there is Spoodles and Beaches and Cream (at the Beach Club which is also within walking distance of Epcot). I have never eaten at either one but have seen lots of yummy pictures on others' trip reports. Spoodles has a Mediterreanean flair, and Beaches and Cream has burgers but the most amazing ice cream desserts.

Mama Melroses's: Ate there in 1995 and don't remember it being dark at all. I like the idea of eating at the Tune-In Lounge though -- that sounds like fun.

San Angel: It is dark, but you might have fun just relaxing and watching the boats glide by. On the other hand, Marrakesh is one of the places I most want to try -- have you ever had baklava before? That is one of their desserts, and one of my absolute favorites.

Everything I hear about Kona is fabulous!

So, there are my opinions. :goodvibes

Tuesday: This is the night I am going to be MK bound so I wanted to be in the general area. I decided on a place I have always wanted to try, have read such good things about and most recently PiscesAngel's report got me really determined to try it. I am eating at Kona and this is the one ADR I am not changing. I am really excited about it! :hyper:

Oh my gosh, I read this and had to re-read it - I am so flattered! :goodvibes

Ok, now on with the show...you asked for our opinions, so here goes...

Saturday, I have always wanted to try the Cape May Buffet, and I can never seem to talk my fam into going as they really don't care for buffets but will put up with it if it's name is BOMA or it's in a park. I think I would go there if for nothing else, for the OREO BON BONS - yummy! :lovestruc

Sunday, I don't know much about dining in DHS, but it seems like going to 50's Prime Time would be less 'romantic-ish' and you could get some great interaction if no one else, from the CM. Could be a lot of fun. ;)

Monday, Marrakesh all the way! I haven't read many good reviews of San Angel and actually cancelled that one this last trip. That's not even counting how dark, dark, dark it is. Marrakesh looks like the one I would do if I was going solo...

Tuesday, I am SO happy you are going to Kona, but now I hope it can live up to the hype for you! The food really is divine, and I think you will find the atmosphere light and cheerful. Kind of like a coffee shop... :rotfl:

Again, these are all just my opinions, and I just feel so happy for you whatever you choose. You're such a lucky girl! :woohoo:

One final thing, here is oodles of pixies dust that the Celtics win the Championship! pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

I am in the same boat. I am thinking of doing a dinner for myself solo, and I'm not sure where to go...

Cape May was great, we just went there this past trip. I really liked it.

I love the idea of 50's at the bar! I haven't eaten there since our honeymoon in '05.

Ooohhh... these are TOUGH questions. It is funny how much time we spend obsessing over this stuff. I could not for the life of me tell you what I'm having for dinner tonight but ask about Friday 10/24 and I could probably tell you!! :laughing:

I'm planning on doing the Tune In Lounge myself so I suppose I'm a bit biased. I have, however, heard good things recently about MM's. The only thing that I think might tip things in its favor is that you're going in August, and it will be HOT. And maybe you'll want to go into a cool, dark(er) place and "spread out" and rest more than you can do on a bar stool? Does that make sense? Since the bar doesn't need an ADR I'd suggest keeping your MM ADR for now and if you decide you're not feeling it then cancel. I have also heard that it's not impossible to do walk-up there-- particularly if dining at non-traditional times.... which you can do b/c you're solo... and catering to no one's appetite but your own. :woohoo:

San Angel... also planning on dining there. I think I'm doing a lunch b/c I thought it might be slightly more casual/comfortable for a solo then. I'm planning on enjoying a break from the sun and, ok, a margarita or two! I have also heard great things about Morocco. And you could always pop over to France for dessert!

I'm not being helpful here... am I?!? :rolleyes1 Sorry. So much good food -- not enough meals to fit it all in!

GO CELTICS!!:yay:

Well, I see you are one step closer to a free TV! Way to go Celtics!

I would probably also vote for Marrakesh over San Angel, although I have not eaten at either. If you stay with San Angel, you could do the CS in Morocco. They had excellent food. We did like Kona, although it was at the tail end of our trip and we were all way past exhausted. Loved the desserts at Cape May, the food was pretty good too. I think it's the only time I've ever seen broccoli rabe on a buffet! You are from New England though, so the "clam bake" feel may not have much appeal. I'm thinking of adding PT Cafe to our ADR list, I think my mom would get a kick out of it. The bar does sound like fun, if it were me I'd take it over MM's. Decisions, decisions! ;)

Fun, fun, fun. I totally agree, it's weird the lengths otherwise rational people will go to to get dinner reservations months away. But what can you do? Gotta play the game, I guess, if you want to get a table.

Saturday:
We had a great time at Beaches & Cream in January 2007 - and even got the Kitchen Sink, which I can not actually recommend even if you are with a big group of ice cream eaters. Too many flavors that don't go together. :sick: But the regular sundaes look great, and the meals we had there were good as well.

I always make a reservation at Spoodles and never manage to eat there. Something always goes wrong and I am beginning to think I have a Spoodles curse. But more power to you if you can actually follow through and eat there!

Cape May Buffet could be good as well - it's one I always want to try but never actually get a reservation for.

Have you ever eaten at Fresh at the Dolphin? I guess it's not on the DP, but it seems like you're planning this Saturday dinner as an extra?? I had lunch there once and it was really good and very cool. OH, but they are only breakfast and lunch. Well, it might be worth looking at the Swan and Dolphin's restaurants for dinner as well - they're places I never even really think to go with the kids.

Sunday:
DHS is the toughest. I can definitely reccommend that rather than Mama Melrose, you could just go to Olive Garden at home and it would be about as good. We didn't have any complaints, per se (we LIKE the Olive Garden), but it was just not that thrilling, especially for the cost. We can get better Italian food at home. Except for the Tiramisu, which we were told was brought over from the Brown Derby. That was really, REALLY good. Unusual presentation, but delicious.

50's Primetime would probably be more fun and a unique dining experience at the bar or otherwise. :) Were they out of ADR's there? I would think a table there would be really enjoyable by yourself because there is so much kitch to look at AND there's the TV to watch, too. Some of those shows. There's this one where there's a floating cake, if I remember correctly. I ate there with just my kids last year and we really enjoyed the shows, which we didn't notice so much when we ate there with a larger group the year before. The food there -well, being a vegetarian, the choice is a stuffed pepper,

Monday: Again, I'm no help - I always want to try San Angel Inn - I would think you could just gaze at the faux volcano during your meal. Bring a pen-light for taking notes? :laughing: Marrakesh is really a great experience, though. Gorgeous in there. Loved the couscous. I don't think I had dessert when I ate lunch there with my then 2 year old, many moons ago. I hear you on the dessert - no chocolate! - but maybe you'd be pleasantly surprised?

Tuesday: Hold firm on Kona. :thumbsup2 I have only had breakfast there one time, but it's a neat spot and good food and I'd definitely go back. I bet you'll really enjoy that one.

Are you having fun yet? I, for one, am really enjoying your planning process. :)

Saturday: We have eaten twice at Beaches and Cream and once at Cape May. The whole family LOVED B&C. They have the most awesome onion rings!!! Everyone except me loved Cape May. The food was really good, I'm just not a huge buffet person.

Sunday: The only TS place I've eaten here is 50's PTC. We loved it, but I don't know that I'd want to eat there alone. I didn't know about the bar option, though...

Monday: We only did CS in World Showcase and did Coral Reef for TS. That was hands down the BEST meal we ate in the World!!! But since you want World Showcase, hmmmm... Marrakesh sounds really good...

So many decisions, so little time to eat!!! I'm sure whatever you decide will work out great!

Denise

I don't really have any suggestions but I just have to comment about making ADRs so far in advance. In my family I am the one who is teased for being Disney obsessed. They laugh that I am on the boards daily (no more than an hour usually) but last night it was DH (aka Mr. OCD) who said we have to have a plan on what ADRs we want in December - we can call June 23rd. I reminded him we did this over Christmas ( a year before our trip) and his answer was "Yes, but we have to have a back up plan in case we can't get something!" :lmao: So yea, we all play the ADR game.

Hi Allyson! I'm Julia :wave:

I love your PTR, I'm all caught up, and I'm coming with! (figuratively, of course ;) )

Love it! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter