The "I Got Engaged in Disney World" Trip Report - POR and DCL - Sept 07 UPDATED 8/31

Hi everyone, thanks for hanging in there! Sorry I'm going a bit slowly - I'm trying to keep up with the scrapbooking as I post so that I don't slack on either. :)

pjstevens, Cyndibear, MouseUSA, Honeymooner04 - Thank you!

TkDisneylover - You're welcome. I actually can't wait to get to the cruise part of the report. As much as I love WDW, and my heart is there for sure, DCL is a new addiction for me. I LOVED it.

And now for another installment:

First thing to do after leaving the Crystal Palace: make sure our Magical Moment certificate was safe! So... the only logical option is to buy something flat to store it in, so we headed to the Emporium and bought a scrapbooking kit, opened the package, and put the certificate safely inside. Genius! This would repeat itself a number of times during the trip, hehehe...

After we protected our certificate, Billy wanted to do what he had been talking about ever since we started planning this trip: ride the train! So we headed over to the Main Street station and boarded. I love taking the train on the full circle around the park – it’s a nice relaxing break, especially when it’s hot.

And it was hot. Very hot.

I sent Tom and Jen a message letting them know we were on board, thinking we could meet at one of the other stations. They sent a message back that they would meet us back at the Main Street station. When the train arrived back there, they were there and after a bit of confusion regarding the entrance platform versus the exits (and making sure we were all in the same place so we could actually get to each other) we found out that they were headed back to the Poly to shower before going to Downtown Disney. They offered for us to come with them so we could see the concierge area (and so that Bill could see the Poly in general) but we declined and decided to stay and try to do some of the other attractions that Bill was really excited about.

After Tom and Jen headed back to the Poly, we took some random pictures on Main Street, and then went on the Jungle Cruise and saw the Tiki Room. After these, we decided we were hot. Very hot.

P9020040.jpg

We left the Magic Kingdom and headed back to PO-R… we stopped at the main building and browsed through the shop. I got a text message from Tom telling us that they were Downtown, and we agreed to meet up with them before heading over to the Poly for our dinner ADR at Ohana. We waited for quite some time for our bus to Downtown, and when we got there Tom and Jen had bought us our first engagement gift: the Disney Wedding Planning DVD! :)

I continued my search for engagement pins, but had no luck. (Gripe here: Disney sells pins that commemorate every imaginable thing, but absolutely nothing for engagements! Plenty of people get engaged on Disney property; you would think they’d take advantage of this and sell some merchandise!)

We browsed around the Marketplace for awhile until it was time to catch the bus to the Poly for our Ohana ADR. Bill was much more impressed with the Poly in person than he had been when passing over it while on the monorail. We checked out Tom and Jen’s concierge room, as well as the lounge in that building – wow. They have snacks out all the time, as well as free sodas and even alcohol. The lounge also has a perfect view of the castle, and apparently they pipe in the soundtrack during Wishes. Very cool.

Up next: Ohana, and EMH at Magic Kingdom!

We walked to the Great Ceremonial House for our Ohana ADR. I just love the Poly – have I mentioned that yet already? The lush grounds, the burning torches, the friendly CMs… I love it. It was very crowded in the Ohana waiting area, and we actually had a short wait even though we were on time for our ADR. Finally we were seated. Bill and Tom enjoyed Backscratchers (Bill was especially excited to bring the bamboo backscratcher home, since he likes to have his back scratched and it kind of gives me the heebie jeebies to do it). I decided Bill’s Glowtini was good enough the night before for me to order one tonight.

backscratchersohana.jpg

I love Ohana – I make sure to make an ADR for every trip… and hooray! Bill loved it too! Actually, Tom and Jen hadn’t been to Ohana for dinner before, either, and they liked it, too. The food was excellent. I hadn’t been since the menu changes, but everything was really good. I love the salad they serve (yeah, I know… all that good food and I like the salad!) and the potatoes were an addition that everyone loved. I don’t usually like bread pudding (does this sound familiar?) but the banana bread pudding dessert, served family-style, was actually really tasty… although we were all so full we could only manage a few bites. We used two table service credits here; the total for two adults (without alcohol) was $64.72.

The Ohana entertainment was good, as usual, as well… the hula hoop contests and coconut races CRACK me up. This time there was also a hula dance lesson, and there was this little girl seated near us who REALLY got into it. We were laughing along with the girl’s father at how serious she was taking the whole thing. Very cute.

They called all couples who were celebrating up to dance together, and Tom and Jen sort of forced Bill and me up, and vice versa (Jen doesn’t care to be the center of attention, even on her fifth wedding anniversary.) Anyway, the woman started going down the line of couples, asking for names… “And you are Mr. and Mrs….?” When she got to me, I exclaimed “Not yet!”. This delighted her. “Ladies and gentlemen, here are Mr. and Mrs. Not Yet!” I mean, really, what was I supposed to say? Hahaha…

One couple’s little boy came up to dance with them, and we heard the father say, “Just think, when you go back to school, you can tell your friends that you danced the hula next to Mr. and Mrs. Not Yet.”

When Wishes started, Bill and I were excited to actually HEAR the soundtrack that we got engaged to. We tried to figure out if he got the moment of the finale right to propose, but we couldn’t remember if we had actually seen any of the fireworks, haha. I guess the night before had been a bit more overwhelming than we had even thought!

In any case, I have a gripe here. I understand that parents want their children to be able to see the fireworks. Really. I get it. But when there are people, trying to eat their dinner, who happen to be sitting near the windows, PLEASE do not let your children run over and jump and climb all over said people when the fireworks start. The view really IS fine from even a few feet back from the window. And, furthermore, if your children start screaming and crying and tantrum-throwing, please do not let them continue to basically crowd in with these strangers at their dinner table. It ruins the show for everyone trying to see out the window from their own seats.

Gripe aside, the fireworks were beautiful, the dinner was fantastic, and the company was great. It was a wonderful experience.

tomjenohana.jpg

amybillohana.jpg

And the best part was that it wasn’t over yet – we were headed to Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom to meet back up with Sean and his family!

We stopped at Tom and Jen’s room to drop off the all-important backscratchers (here’s suspense: would we get Bill’s back later in the week?) and then headed to the marina, since we thought it would be nice to take the water taxi to the MK. What a nice ride at night! We got to the MK, got our wrist bracelets, and were so happy to see huge crowds exiting the park as we were entering. Hurray!

We stopped for some photos in front of the castle,

P9020032-1.jpg

P9020033.jpg

and then went on some rides. Three of us (not Jen) were brave enough to try Splash Mountain, and, yes, we got drenched… Bill and I were especially wet, since we were in the front row and all.

P9020042.jpg

After Splash, we met up with Sean and his family, and then headed to Big Thunder. There was quite a line here, and we caught up with Sean and his wife while winding through the switchbacks. Sean’s daughter, Deidre, who had taken an immediate liking to me when I met her in December, wanted me to sit with her on every ride, but I told her I had to sit with Bill sometimes, “since he bought me this diamond ring”. :rotfl: Big Thunder was great, especially listening to Jen scream on the drops. After Big Thunder, we were all pretty much set to head back, except that Sean’s little son wanted to go on Pirates, so we headed in that direction and the wait was short enough, so on Pirates we went.

We said our goodbyes while walking out towards the busses, and Bill and I headed back to PO-R, pretty tired and happy from another magical WDW day.

:wizard: I just happened upon your engagement story, and it is so sweet! Thanks for sharing your very special moment! You are a cute couple. I can't wait to read more.
I'm so in!

Is it just me or am I the only one that never gets wet on Splash Mountain? Yeah, okay, a few drops here or there, but never like you guys were in the above picture.

Of course our next trip is this December. And if it gets chilly (that's if) I might not want to get soaked!! :rotfl: But with my luck, the coldest night we have during the trip will be the night I am at MK and I WILL get wet!

Another great installment, Amy. Keep up the great work!!:thumbsup2

Great update.
I'm with you about the kids and fireworks viewing. We had dinner at O'hana this past Saturday night (Anniversary trip without our kids). When Wishes started 4 kids ran up to the window by a table where a couple was being seated. No adults to be seen. This couple had a great table, great view and 4unwanted visitors. I kept looking around to see parents close by - nada. After Wishes, I watched to see where the kids went and they were all from the same table with 4 parents just sitting on there butts. It certainly was not the couples job to watch the kids. They were pretty young too.
Ok I'm done venting

Amy, congrats on the engagement!!! I love your trip report and cannot wait to read more.:surfweb:

Great pictures Amy!! Can't agree with you enough about the kids and their parents. Some people just don't understand. I'm glad you had a great time though.

Can't wait to read more!!

Cyndi

Hi everyone -

I am SO sorry about the delay in posting! We've started the search for the perfect wedding reception location, and let's just say it's a LOT more difficult than I imagined! Sigh.

I promise to have another installment posted soon, please hang in there with me!

Amy

Amy,

I don't think you have to look very far! Just have your wedding at Disney!! :bride: How perfect is that?!

I love your story, and can't wait to hear more!

Jeanette aka Vermontgirl

Hi everyone -

I am SO sorry about the delay in posting! We've started the search for the perfect wedding reception location, and let's just say it's a LOT more difficult than I imagined! Sigh.

I promise to have another installment posted soon, please hang in there with me!

Amy

Just checking to make sure you did not forget about us. Anxiously waiting a new installment. popcorn:: Any luck on finding that reception hall?

I've been SO horrible to you, my DIS friends. I DO have updates... the wedding will be in May of 2009... Bill's sister is getting married this August, and we're both in the wedding, so we need to give everyone a little time to recover from that. Plus, my dad (who has been diagnosed with Parkinson's for about seven years now) was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's... so now we're planning a DCL vacation for September, while he can still really enjoy it. So, life has been a little crazy! Not the ideal time to plan an additional vacation, with wedding expenses and all, but ... it's something we need to do.

Anyway, the wedding will be at a church in southern New Hampshire and the reception will be at a gorgeous country club/resort nearby. Both of our parents have seen it and really like it. :)

I need to get going again with scrapbooking this trip, and that means more updates on the DIS, I promise. I hope to get writing this week. :)

Amy

PS: Have any of you entered the Disney CMO contest? I entered; my video is up on the site right now! :scared1:

Oh Amy so glad you are back!!!! I am sorry to hear about your Dad, but I am sure he would appreciate some time with you guys on the DCL.

Where in Southern NH is the church? We live in Salem.

BTW, we booked the 4 day DCL trip fr April of 2009. We have not told the kids. We are thinking about surprising them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter