The "I Got Engaged in Disney World" Trip Report - POR and DCL - Sept 07 UPDATED 8/31

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by Amy7979, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Amy7979

Amy7979 Mouseketeer

Welcome to my first trip report! I've written the first bit and realize it probably is going to end up being sort of long. What can I say, I'm long winded, I guess!

Cast of characters:

Me – Amy, 28. Disney fanatic, with multiple trips to Disneyland and Disney World, though Disney Cruise Line would be completely new for me.

DBF – Bill, 26. Loves Disney, although he hasn’t been since high school and has never stayed on property. Will become DF on this trip (how’s that for suspense?)

Tom and Jen – my cousin and his wife. Quite possibly even bigger Disney fanatics than I am; they honeymooned at WDW five years ago and are celebrating their anniversary on this trip.

Cameo appearances later in the trip by Orlando residents Barbara (a business contact and friend of mine) and her family, and Laura and Dan (friends of Bill’s).

The plan: September 1 – 9 at Port Orleans Riverside, September 9-13 on Disney Wonder!

Day 1: September 1, 2007

Has this day finally arrived? Bill and I awoke to my cell phone alarm at 4:00 in the morning, although I suspect that neither of us was able to sleep anyway. Our long-awaited trip was finally here, and we were ready! Our bags were packed the night before, except for my anal-retentive list of things I needed to remember that morning, my friend Rick had the keys to feed the fish and Simon and Sammy (my cats) while we were away, and all that was left to do was to put on our matching polo shirts and get to the airport.

Yes, I said matching polo shirts.

Bill ordered the shirts from Disney Shopping online. They weren’t EXACTLY matching, in that they were different colors and that they had our names embroidered on them, and since we have different names… yeah, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I did one last check of the DIS boards and before we knew it our friends Dan and Michelle arrived to drive us to the airport. After Dan spent a significant amount of time making fun of our shirts, we loaded up their car and headed off for Logan International Airport for our 7:50am flight.

[​IMG]

We arrived at the airport in plenty of time and had a smooth check-in and security experience. We did have them hand-check the disposable cameras we thought we’d need (don’t ask), which was an interesting experience. Who knew they’d have to unwrap each one and look through its viewfinder to make sure it was actually a camera?

With the security checkpoint behind us, we settled in at our gate. I went to get some books and magazines while Bill started the last of the Harry Potter books. When we decided we were hungry I went to the Dunkin Donuts at the other end of the gate area and stood in the line for a short eternity. I don’t understand people who can’t seem to grasp simple concepts, like that it takes longer than 2 seconds to prepare a breakfast sandwich, for instance, or that in the “Coffee Only” line they only serve coffee. But I digress.

I returned to our gate and we shortly boarded our uneventful flight to JFK airport.

[​IMG]

Once there, we waited for our flight to Orlando in the most warehouse-looking waiting area I’ve ever seen in an airport. My apologies to anyone fond of the JFK airport… but it was really bad. Maybe they’re in the middle of some construction? In any case, we entertained ourselves by taking self-portrait photographs and reading until our flight boarded. Mostly I annoyed Bill by taking his picture while he was trying to read.

[​IMG]

The flight to Orlando was once again uneventful, and we landed at MCO slightly ahead of schedule.

Coming up: I might actually write about the actual vacation, and not just about getting there. And, if you're very patient, you'll get to hear about how we got engaged! :love:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Suzerella

Suzerella Mouseketeer

Ooh, fun, I love Disney engagement stories! I'm signing up to read this one!

4. Our2Girls&Disney

Our2Girls&Disney DIS Veteran

I'm first and can't wait to hear about the engagement and the Wonder. We want to go on DCL for our 15th Anniversary. Keep on writing.

5. Mcbruns

Mcbruns DIS Veteran

Good start. Looking forward to the rest (and pics). We all love pics!

6. WDW Poly Princess

WDW Poly Princess <font color=darkcoral>Needs a Disney Fix<br><font

How exciting- Congrats! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

7. TnkrBoo

TnkrBoo Mouseketeer

a disney engagement?! that sounds so exciting! i can't wait to read about it. popcorn:: great start! :thumbsup2

8. IjustWanttoGo

IjustWanttoGo I want my ears already!

Subbing! I love engagement stories!popcorn::

9. luvmyboys

luvmyboys <font color=blue>WoW Widow<br><font color=deeppink

You had me at "matching polo shirts!":thumbsup2

I'm IN!!popcorn::

10. DizznyChick

DizznyChick DIS Veteran

congrats on your engagement and by the way, i cant stand jfk-its a nightmare

11. MousekaMaddi

MousekaMaddi DIS Veteran

congrats!! Im in!:3dglasses

12. crzyred

crzyred <font color=red>I'm lucky any of my clothes are cl

I'm joining too...popcorn::

13. stich626

stich626 Mouseketeer

subbing... Iwant to hear all about it

14. CinRell

CinRell DIS Veteran

I'm in! You guys are an adorable couple:)

15. TKDisneylover

TKDisneylover LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Ear

Hi:wave2:

I'm in too! Can't wait to see more of the matching polos! Looking forward to reading more about your trip to the World!

16. m11dolphin

m11dolphin Mouseketeer

I'm in, I'm in.....:cool1: can't wait for the story and the happy ending :cloud9:

17. Amy7979

Amy7979 Mouseketeer

Hi everyone -

Thanks for the comments and for subscribing. I promise I'll have another bit posted soon - hopefully tonight. There have been a lot of celebratory dinners and get-togethers since we've been home, so I've been a bit short on time, but I'm anxious to continue the story!

More soon!

18. Lifelong_Dreamer

Lifelong_Dreamer DIS Veteran

Hi Amy, I can't wait to hear all about your trip. I love reading about Disney engagement stories.

I also can not wait to hear about your cruise. I am going on a Disney cruise next December and I can not read/learn enough about it.

19. Amy7979

Amy7979 Mouseketeer

Where I left off, we had arrived a bit ahead of schedule at MCO. After telling Bill that yes, we needed to take the “monorail” to the other side of the airport (he thought we could walk), we got to the Magical Express counter in no time. It’s amusing how the counters for the rental cars are all completely empty, and then the ME desk line winds through several switchbacks.

Since just one member of the party needs to wait in the line, Bill went and read Harry Potter (Mr. Potter was pretty much the third person on our vacation) while I waited to check in. The ME check in was quick and painless, as usual, and before we knew it we were in the ME line for Port Orleans Riverside. I believe that the line was shared only with those going to Port Orleans French Quarter, and it wasn’t but a few minutes before we were on the ME bus, on our way to WDW at last!

I giggled, as usual, at the video they play on the ME bus - don’t you love how Chip and Dale pack acorns, or how Donald grumbles about Daisy’s shopping habit? – and after one stop to let people off at Port Orleans French Quarter, we were finally at Port Orleans Riverside!

We hurried off the bus (we hadn’t stored any bags underneath) in order to not have to wait in a long line at check-in. I’d never stayed at PO-R before, and my first impressions were positive - the lobby was open and bright. We waited about ten minutes before being checked-in. The agent was very thorough, even making me explain the Dining Plan to her so that she was certain that I understood it. :confused3 When she saw that Bill has the Disney Visa, she explained about the photo opportunity for cardholders, and wrote the details down so that we would remember. She sent us on our way armed with a PO-R map and plenty of pamphlets and information.

We had requested (and paid for) a King room, and we were in room 3816, in building 38. Building 38 is in the Alligator Bayou section, and is pretty much the first Alligator Bayou building next to the Mansions. This is an ideal location, as far as we were concerned. We were close to the main pool, the North Depot bus stop, and in my opinion the Alligator Bayou section is more rustic, cozy, and romantic.

[​IMG]

We got to our room and were thrilled! The bathroom area is really convenient, with two sinks outside of the actual bathroom, and we had two windows since the room was on a corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took a few minutes to call our parents and Bill’s sister (who had just gotten a new kitten!) to brag that we were in Disney World and put out our first door magnet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I had done a lot of reading on the DIS about people decorating their cruise doors with magnets, and let’s just say I got a bit carried away and made some for WDW too. I just couldn’t stop. Sue me.)

Our plan/coming up: Stop at the main building for a late lunch/snack, and then head to MK until our ADR for Cinderella’s Gala Feast at Grand Floridian Café.

Stay tuned, as we really do get engaged. I swear it.

20. Lifelong_Dreamer

Lifelong_Dreamer DIS Veteran

Looks like you guys got a great room. I love your door sign.:thumbsup2

21. Mcbruns

Mcbruns DIS Veteran

Ohhhh . . . nice king room!

Looking forward to more . . .