The good the bad the ugly of OKW renovations (update pg 13)

I know that we all want everything to be perfect on a holiday, but are you not at Disneyworld the so called happiest place on earth. I think that sometimes we are too picky in the minor things and we just want to complain about something.. So what if the renos do not meet your expectations I am sure that many people like what they have done. We can find fault in all, remember you are there to enjoy.

I know that we all want everything to be perfect on a holiday, but are you not at Disneyworld the so called happiest place on earth. I think that sometimes we are too picky in the minor things and we just want to complain about something.. So what if the renos do not meet your expectations I am sure that many people like what they have done. We can find fault in all, remember you are there to enjoy.

Because most of the changes weren't minor. The renovations completely changed the look & feel of OKW.

Except, in this case, it's like taking your BMW in to be detailed and when you pick it up it's become the cleanest Yugo on the block.

What is Mary Poppins doing in Saskatchewan? :lmao:;)

(Yes I know Ursula is obviously in Toronto! ;))

holidaygirl - geez - first I don't want anything to be perfect on MY vacations. Boring. You should see my TRs. :lmao:;) And second, come on - there are some DVCers on here that have owned and ADORED OKW for a very long time. A long time. OKW is their special place. It's normal to react to changes to a place they adored.

But I assume you like the renovations (yes?) - for me that's a good thing - I can't wait to see them to see what I think.

For long time owners like Diane and our family, the changes are horrible. They have lost the theme of OKW. For a complete renovation, they did a terrible job. Especially after they seemed to have done a very nice job on the renovation at BWV.

And WDW is not the happiest place on earth. That's Disneyland. WDW is the most magical place on earth.

Geez....I guess I'm in the minority, but, except for the too-dark table, I'm pretty happy over here in Bldg. 45. We've been here since Sunday, and I'm loving it!

I don't consider the condo association using MY dues money in this way a "minor" detail.

As for the sound level of the floors. I don't think it made a huge difference, although I am hearing the neighbors in the studio for the first time in many trips. I don't think the floors are the reason though...They don't have the vinyl floors on thier side of the door.

About the toilets...Yes, OKW still has the toilets that make you want to rescue small children when you flush them. They've always been that way though, and I guess I've gotten used to them.

BTW, Happy@OKW...If I was in building 45, I'd be happy too! That's what I requested, and the decor wouldn't be nearly as big an issue if I was in my favorite unit!:rotfl:

I don't consider the condo association using MY dues money in this way a "minor" detail.

Agreed! DVC is supposed to have standards! We will all be paying for these resorts for a long time.
Maybe this is their way at getting back at us for not paying that extra money to extend our contracts. That's where all the money went, into that Fiasco!

We arrived at OKW last nite - have a 1BR in Building 14.

While I agree about the Roman Shades pulley system (takes FOREVER to raise or lower), we do like the flooring. I wish it was real hardwood, but the laminate will last forever and it really is consistent with early 20th century Key West (they did not have wall-to-wall carpeting - wood flooring was the norm). This will certainly cut down on the carpet replacement and cleaning. We have had delayed room availability a number of times due to the carpet still being wet from a cleaning.

They did take the exsiting coffee table, end table and dining table and re-paint. I actaully like the darker wood although some of the paint has already chipped on our ddining table and the original paint is showing thru. We love the sleeper chair - it's a LOT more comfy than the old arm chair and we like the new headboard (also consistent with Key West interiors). We are on the ground floor and sound has not been an issue at all.

The granite countertops are fine (but not consistent with early 20th Key West). We rally like the new valences over the windows. The thermostat has been moved from the hallway into the living room, but we now have the sensor model instead of the old easy-to-manage controller. The Mickey Life Guard Stand table lamp in the living room is cute.

All in all, some wins and some disappointment from our view but overall we like the changes.

We just stayed in a 1 bedroom in building 30 over Thanksgiving and we LOVED it!! Now granted, this was our first trip there. I can certainly understand why owners who have been coming here for years would be disappointed with some of the changes. I don't think the dark wood headboard went well with the decor, but I did think it was pretty and better than the metal frame from before (I saw in pics).

So sorry, OP that you are unhappy with the changes. I am not too thrilled with the changes over at BWV (my home) myself - some are good, some not so good. But overall I really surprised myself how much I loved OKW and cannot wait to go back!

We arrived at OKW last nite - have a 1BR in Building 14.

While I agree about the Roman Shades pulley system (takes FOREVER to raise or lower),

The Roman Shades seem to be taken from Coastal Living magazine.

we do like the flooring. I wish it was real hardwood, but the laminate will last forever and it really is consistent with early 20th century Key West (they did not have wall-to-wall carpeting - wood flooring was the norm). This will certainly cut down on the carpet replacement and cleaning. We have had delayed room availability a number of times due to the carpet still being wet from a cleaning.

That depends upon how you define forever. In cat years, maybe. Laminates have issues with moisture absorption from the underside. A laminate would not be the best choice in a humid climate (Keep that AC and dehumidifier going!). Even with a vapor barrier there are still issues with failure that starts with the underside. I can't count the number of folks that have ended up replacing their laminate with hardwood. A nice natural hardwood, with a hint of the orange from shellac, would have been perfect.

They did take the exsiting coffee table, end table and dining table and re-paint. I actaully like the darker wood although some of the paint has already chipped on our ddining table and the original paint is showing thru. We love the sleeper chair - it's a LOT more comfy than the old arm chair and we like the new headboard (also consistent with Key West interiors). We are on the ground floor and sound has not been an issue at all.

The darker wood is appropriate for another era. Olivia's and the Papa's Den have the theming down almost perfect. In the Hemingway House and Museum in the Key West the woods are either natural with a protective finish or painted white. There is a highboy that is a bit darker but more due to the aging of the finish. The headboard, another Coastal Living/Martha Stewart influence.

The granite countertops are fine (but not consistent with early 20th Key West).

Perhaps a white/off-white corian or soapstone.

We rally like the new valences over the windows. The thermostat has been moved from the hallway into the living room, but we now have the sensor model instead of the old easy-to-manage controller. The Mickey Life Guard Stand table lamp in the living room is cute.

Our experience with the new thermostat has been less than positive. We found ourselves turning off the thermostat then opening the balcony doors to get a happy medium with the temperature.

All in all, some wins and some disappointment from our view but overall we like the changes.

For us the jury is still out.

Geez....I guess I'm in the minority, but, except for the too-dark table, I'm pretty happy over here in Bldg. 45. We've been here since Sunday, and I'm loving it!

OMG. Building 45. :love: Lucky you. You're not in my suite, are you?;) 4525.

Have fun. I'm happy to hear that you like the renovations.

From the boat as we were getting told to sit down - hence crooked. ;) The oh so lovely 45. And family waving from our suite - such a lovely memory.

WDWfamilyadventure059.jpg

WDWfamilyadventure058.jpg

Well that's good news. :thumbsup2 Have a wonderful vacation as well. :goodvibes

We just stayed in a 1 bedroom in building 30 over Thanksgiving and we LOVED it!! Now granted, this was our first trip there. I can certainly understand why owners who have been coming here for years would be disappointed with some of the changes. I don't think the dark wood headboard went well with the decor, but I did think it was pretty and better than the metal frame from before (I saw in pics).

So sorry, OP that you are unhappy with the changes. I am not too thrilled with the changes over at BWV (my home) myself - some are good, some not so good. But overall I really surprised myself how much I loved OKW and cannot wait to go back!

Oh I missed this. Good to hear Lexxiefern. Thanks for posting.

I will be at BWV very soon for the first time since the renovations - anxious to see. What didn't you like at BWV? Curious.

we were in WDW over Thanksgiving and bought points in the dvc at OKW and look forward to staying there on our next trip. I'm sure there are plus and minuses to every resort. We did go over there and looked around one evening and loved the feel of the resort itself.

we were in WDW over Thanksgiving and bought points in the dvc at OKW and look forward to staying there on our next trip. I'm sure there are plus and minuses to every resort. We did go over there and looked around one evening and loved the feel of the resort itself.
OKW in general is great! I love Disney & sometimes it seems like I can't get enough of it, but the reason I love OKW is that I can be in Disney & feel like I can get away from Disney.........does that make sense.

OKW is like it's own little retreat!

OKW in general is great! I love Disney & sometimes it seems like I can't get enough of it, but the reason I love OKW is that I can be in Disney & feel like I can get away from Disney.........does that make sense.

OKW is like it's own little retreat!

Perfect sense!! It's Disney without Mickey in your face. We truly feel like we are away from it all when at OKW. :thumbsup2

Oh I missed this. Good to hear Lexxiefern. Thanks for posting.

I will be at BWV very soon for the first time since the renovations - anxious to see. What didn't you like at BWV? Curious.

You know, I just felt like it is now too GREEN. Everything they changed is now a shade of green. I like a little variety. I wish BWV would get granite like OKW did. It looks beautiful at OKW!

Oh and another OKW plus - we were able to see Illuminations from our balcony in building 30!

I was pretty critical of the first photos of the OKW renovations, but I determined that I would reserve judgment until I stayed in a renovated unit. Well we are here in 3621...a renovated 1 bedroom on Turtle Pond area.

My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? There was even some of the cove tile in the master bath that has been painted over to make it look the right color again....Tacky!

Diane-

I will be checking in a few weeks....sorry the experience has been trying for you. I will be up near the front of OKW--do you know if those units are renovated already? Happy Holidays- CaskPeg:princess:

I was pretty critical of the first photos of the OKW renovations, but I determined that I would reserve judgment until I stayed in a renovated unit. Well we are here in 3621...a renovated 1 bedroom on Turtle Pond area.

My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? There was even some of the cove tile in the master bath that has been painted over to make it look the right color again....Tacky!

Diane-

I will be checking in a few weeks....sorry the experience has been trying for you. I will be up near the front of OKW--do you know if those units are renovated already? Happy Holidays- CaskPeg:princess:

Peg, they seem to be working on Miller's Road buildings right now. The currently have the Miller's road bus stop closed and a temporary one set up outside building 18. I think HH is done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter