The good the bad the ugly of OKW renovations (update pg 13)

The thermostats at BWV were not "upgraded" last year during renovations. They are the old ones, with a lever for heat/off/cool and another lever for warmer or colder. Frankly I prefer these old ones to the new ones, so I'm glad they were not replaced.

We are at OKW right now in a refurbished one bedroom unit in building 21.
After being OKW members since 1992, and very little updating during that time, we were hoping for an amazingy refurbishment.
However, we are very disappointed.
As others have said, the flooring is laminate, with a fake look.
The appliances in our unit are worn, as are the cupboard doors. The dishes and cutlery are mismatched.
When we bought, we were so impressed with how upscale the units were. This is no longer the case, even after the refurbishment.
Disney should take a lesson from Marriott, where we also own. Our Marriott timeshares are renovated every 6-7 years, and are probably more opulent now, than when we bought.
We still love OKW and the large balconies, and will continue to stay at OKW, but our high maintenance fees should have afforded a better result.

Wish I could be there for the association meeting - It would be great if enough members could be there to bring up the fact that the feeling is the renovations are not up to past Disney standards and the shortcuts being taken are devaluing the units. OKW was out first home resort and remains my favorite and I hate seeing the decline that is taking place. My DD told me that the 1 BR they had in Bldg 28 was not renovated and had some issues. One of them was a wet spot in the carpet. They called maintenance who came said that it might be a leaky refrigerator or "something" and they would look into it after they checked out. She did say it had a chlorine smell to it also. They were only there last night so it wasn't a huge deal but there were also mousekeeping issues in that there was a half deflated baloon on top of the frig and something else beside the couch when they checked in. I guess the new floors in the living area are intended to eliminate the issues that the carpets had such as wetness when they had to be cleaned. I was just happy they were only there for the one night and hope they have a more dessirable room the next time they visit.

Jade, you obviously don't live in Lakeville! We turned on the weather channel Saturday morning and the lead story was about Lakeville (our home town). It seems we had over a foot of snow, and they were telling how everyone was dealing with it. I just hope my neighbor plowed the driveway so my dog sitters could get in! I have a video camera set up in the kennel, and I've been monitoring them from here, and they seem to be doing fine, so all must be fine at home.

Unfortunately, the cold here is killing me! I left my coat at home, and all I have here in my OL is my DVC wind breaker. It does stop the wind, but doesn't do much to keep me warm. I went to Target yesterday and bought thermal underwear to put under my clothes for the cold snap today and tomorrow. The weekend was glorious though!

Sorry you're experiencing the cold, Diane! I do sort of hope that indicates that maybe we'll have 'unseasonably warm' weather in January for our trip. The last years have been pretty 'cool' and we could handle a little heat for a change, so maybe it will warm up by then!

In the meantime, sorry to hear that the renovations are less than you'd hoped for. I almost feel tempted to start a new rumor, like, resale points are only good at older 'renovated' resorts...or something like that! :rotfl:

Hope you enjoy your trip and that it warms up for you soon. ;)

Well, we got Turtle Pond with my inlaws trading in from RCI so this is my first time at OKW. I requested first floor in a building 30 or higher and got both of those requests as we are in 3214. I like it. Never having seen the original decor, the renovated decor is okay with me. I don't care for the coffee table color but that is minor.

There is no cord in the old internet connection bag that used to be in the closets. The empty bag was there when we checked in and there is an internet connection cord in the living room. Is this the way it should be? The empty bag confused me.

Well, we got Turtle Pond with my inlaws trading in from RCI so this is my first time at OKW. I requested first floor in a building 30 or higher and got both of those requests as we are in 3214. I like it. Never having seen the original decor, the renovated decor is okay with me. I don't care for the coffee table color but that is minor.

There is no cord in the old internet connection bag that used to be in the closets. The empty bag was there when we checked in and there is an internet connection cord in the living room. Is this the way it should be? The empty bag confused me.

Sounds to me like the housekeeper didn't put the cord back in it's correct place. Yes, the plug in for the internet is behind the end table in the living room. I refuse to call this high speed though. BTW, we are in building 36.

Sounds to me like the housekeeper didn't put the cord back in it's correct place. Yes, the plug in for the internet is behind the end table in the living room. I refuse to call this high speed though. BTW, we are in building 36.

You'll have to wave when you drive by- we're the red Dodge Journey in the parking lot! If we get to the meet tonight, it will be me and my MIL on the scooters.

I did find a burned out light today and there is cracked plaster in the shower in the master bath that moves when you touch it so water must be getting behind it. Overall though, I really do like it. For being here with 6 people, the extra space is great. We move to Kidani on thursday so my inlaws will see the difference in size. I think my SIL and BIL will enjoy having thier own bathroom though.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a Pollyanna but, in spite of my disappointment in the renovations, OKW is still our resort of choice, ie. our favorite. We could not get into OKW during F&W earlier this autumn and, even though the accommodations in this unnamed DVC resort were pleasant enough (named redacted so as not to insult those that have that as their home resort) it just didn't hold the proverbial candle to OKW. We'll be down there in a matter of days. Nothing, short of a hurricane, will ruin the pleasure of Christmas at OKW. :santa:

Perhaps I'm a bit of a Pollyanna but, in spite of my disappointment in the renovations, OKW is still our resort of choice, ie. our favorite. We could not get into OKW during F&W earlier this autumn and, even though the accommodations in this unnamed DVC resort were pleasant enough (named redacted so as not to insult those that have that as their home resort) it just didn't hold the proverbial candle to OKW. We'll be down there in a matter of days. Nothing, short of a hurricane, will ruin the pleasure of Christmas at OKW. :santa:
Sounds like we may be there around the same time enjoying Christmas at OKW. We arrive on December 19. :cool1:

We'll be down there in a matter of days. Nothing, short of a hurricane, will ruin the pleasure of Christmas at OKW. :santa:

Really? :surfweb:

Nothing? :3dglasses

How about two crazy Canadians stalking your suite desperately trying to sneak a peak at the renovations?

How does that line up with a hurricane? :rotfl2:

I'm at OKW now. I don't like the floors, the coffee table is weird, the sleeper chair - while I think they could have done better with the fabric selection, it is very comfy to sleep on. Not at all good for sitting, though. The advantage to the sleeper chair is it doesn't take up the whole room, so we leave it open throughout the day. Actually, it they just would have FIXED the cupbords properly, I don't mind not having new doors/facings. The master bedroom, though is just not a good match for the theme at all.

The granite counter are very nice, and I'm actually glad they recovered and reused most of the tables and chairs, as they are good quality...probably better than they could buy now.

I don't like the new thermostats, they really need a heat/cool switch for this weather. And the original color scheme was, IMO, much nicer overall.

Have a wonderful time! :goodvibes
Thank you! We're meeting my brother's family there. It will be the first time I'm getting to meet my new nephew who will already be 15 months old by the time we get there. I can't wait!

I'm at OKW now. I don't like the floors, the coffee table is weird, the sleeper chair - while I think they could have done better with the fabric selection, it is very comfy to sleep on. Not at all good for sitting, though. The advantage to the sleeper chair is it doesn't take up the whole room, so we leave it open throughout the day. Actually, it they just would have FIXED the cupbords properly, I don't mind not having new doors/facings. The master bedroom, though is just not a good match for the theme at all.

The granite counter are very nice, and I'm actually glad they recovered and reused most of the tables and chairs, as they are good quality...probably better than they could buy now.

I don't like the new thermostats, they really need a heat/cool switch for this weather. And the original color scheme was, IMO, much nicer overall.
Chuck, you and I feel almost identical about the renovations. I do agree with an earlier poster dmoore maybe? OKW is still the best place to stay! Still the same space, and convenience.

What is so terrible about Turtle Pond? (I know, a little off topic, but more than one post has mentioned this.) Since the Turtle Pond area is completely renovated, my thought was that if we want a renovated unit, then request Turtle Pond. Also, last year, we stayed 1 nite in Turtle Pond & really liked the pool area. That night was the only time we've stayed in OKW. Please enlighten me about Turtle Pond.

What is so terrible about Turtle Pond? (I know, a little off topic, but more than one post has mentioned this.) Since the Turtle Pond area is completely renovated, my thought was that if we want a renovated unit, then request Turtle Pond. Also, last year, we stayed 1 nite in Turtle Pond & really liked the pool area. That night was the only time we've stayed in OKW. Please enlighten me about Turtle Pond.

I don't want to speak for Diane, but really to me it is simply a metter of personal preference. While her favorite buildings along the canal are beautiful, and some of our favorites as well, Turtle Pond is also one of our favorite areas...but there are some buildings in Turtle Pond that I don't care for. For instance, one would think bldgs 32 & 33 would get a lot of bus noise, being right behind the bus stop..but that isn't the case at all, they are pretty quiet and very convenient to the bus stop (we are in 32 now). But bldg 44 has a LOT of bus noise because of the way sounds echo. 38 and 39 can get road noise from the main road from DtD to Port Orleans, Bonnet Creek Parkway.

We enjoy the Turtle Pond area, so yes, it is all personal preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter