• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

What time is ROTR typically running out? I've checked at 7:30 the last four days and it always says not available.

The ride time issue is stressing me out! Worst case we don’t ride, but we need to head back to the hotel at 3, to head to the airport. 🤞🏻 I get a time early in the day.

I am guessing I just select the earliest time and hope I get it?

For ROTR, like SDD, if you can’t get a time you can use right at 7, keep trying. Some times usually pop up, especially a couple of minutes before or after 7:10, and those times often stay available for a couple of minutes. You might not be able to get the very earliest times, but there’s a good chance you can get something.

From what I'm reading, it doesn't seem likely to even get a Ill for ROTR at all, let alone prior to 4 PM when we plan on leaving HS for the day? Is the better option to try it at rope drop? Obviously I'll try to get the Ill at 7 AM but if I'm not successful, is rope dropping this ride my best option?

So for all the people who lamented BGs for ROTR being difficult to obtain via the virtual queue "lottery"... how do you like having to enter a similar "lottery" that fills up in a minute or two allowing you the privilege of paying extra for a BG?

But, hey... at least we can choose to wait in the SB line now (for 1, 2, or 3+ hours).

So for all the people who lamented BGs for ROTR being difficult to obtain via the virtual queue "lottery"... how do you like having to enter a similar "lottery" that fills up in a minute or two allowing you the privilege of paying extra for a BG?

But, hey... at least we can choose to wait in the SB line now (for 1, 2, or 3+ hours).

I really prefer the IALL because you get a set return time and can work around it. The two times we have had IALL for ROTR we walked right through the queue to be loaded to the first pre show. With the VQ once our time was called we still had to wait 30-45 minutes to get that far.

And, at least there is the standby alternative for people who really want to do the ride but can’t get an LL.

Paying for the IALL presumably provides a deterrent to the people who would grab spots in the VQ every day for a week and then come to the Dis to brag about the low BGs they were able to grab. While the LL spots for ROTR can run out within a minute, that’s still an improvement over the VQ which was typically gone within 15 seconds.

I can’t prove it, but I would bet heavily that the LL system results in more guests being able to experience the attraction once during their trips.

(I realize that this isn’t really an appropriate topic for the strategy thread, but I wanted to provide an alternative opinion to the OP’s complaint.)

From what I'm reading, it doesn't seem likely to even get a Ill for ROTR at all, let alone prior to 4 PM when we plan on leaving HS for the day? Is the better option to try it at rope drop? Obviously I'll try to get the Ill at 7 AM but if I'm not successful, is rope dropping this ride my best option?

See my previous post (#2848). Your chances of getting something before 4 PM might be a lot better than you think.

Using the “7;10 approach” should give you a good chance of getting something in the late morning or early afternoon.

Last edited:
I really prefer the IALL because you get a set return time and can work around it. The two times we have had IALL for ROTR we walked right through the queue to be loaded to the first pre show. With the VQ once our time was called we still had to wait 30-45 minutes to get that far.

And, at least there is the standby alternative for people who really want to do the ride but can’t get an LL.

Paying for the IALL presumably provides a deterrent to the people who would grab spots in the VQ every day for a week and then come to the Dis to brag about the low BGs they were able to grab. While the LL spots for ROTR can run out within a minute, that’s still an improvement over the VQ which was typically gone within 15 seconds.

I can’t prove it, but I would bet heavily that the LL system results in more guests being able to experience the attraction once during their trips.

(I realize that this isn’t really an appropriate topic for the strategy thread, but I wanted to provide an alternative opinion to the OP’s complaint.)
Based on a lot of reports here, there are a fair number of people unable to get the PAID "BG" for ROTR. My point is that it's still a lottery to a large extent. If you "win" you get to pay for a relatively short wait "BG." But even if you're willing to pay, you might not "win the lottery" to be eligible to do so, in which case, your only alternative is a very lengthy SB line. I'd acknowledge that having the option to wait in SB is at least a slight improvement over being completely blocked out, but for most people who are not willing to wait for hours, it still boils down to having to "win the lottery" at 7 am to pay for a reasonable wait.

It also appears that staying onsite is a significant part of the G+/ILL$ strategy, because many off-site guests don't even get a chance to enter the ILL$ lottery, which is selling out for the day before they're even eligible to try and purchase it.

Last edited:
I know we discuss a lot on here about DHS Genie+ strategies, but we are more worried about our MK Day and getting the most out of it because there are SO many rides at MK.

I would love to hear people's strategies and what has and hasn't worked for Genie+ at MK!!!!

In my experience, the time for ROTR doesn’t change after you buy it. The time you are able to buy may change from what you select, but if you elect to purchase that is the time you get.

For example, on the Tip Board the time shown will presumably be the earliest return time available at that time. If you click on that time, you will be offered the chance to choose a return time. By then the earliest available return time might be later than what you clicked on. Then when you select a time to purchase, and proceed from there, the time offered might be later than what you chose. But, if you then click to purchase the time offered, and proceed to payment, you should get that time.

The important thing is to always check what time is being offered and not to assume that you will get what you first clicked on.

If you pay and the time you get isn’t something you can use, I would go to one of the Guest Experience Team umbrellas and see if they can help you get a different time or five you a refund.

When I did mine, I was going so fast that I did not even look at what time I was being offered when I clicked the final button. I only realized what I ended up with when everything was over at which point I realized it was 4 hours later than I started with.
Most things are not like this but Rise of the Resistance definitely is since you are paying and it goes quickly at 7am.

Question regarding using Genie+ with friends and family. I think giving an example would be best to articulate my question:

If I bought tickets for my sister and her daughter and they stay under my management on MDE, am I the only one who will be able to/need to tap into the fast passes when entering the lightning lanes? OR will my sister also be able to use her own magic mobile to tap in, even if the tickets are under my MDE? As a better example, if I make a lightning pass for ToT and she decides to make a different one for RnRC, will she be able to use her phone to tap into the fastpass? Is it even possible to make two different fast passes as long as they don't involve the other members of the group that already have one?

So to sum up, do ticket assignments have any bearing on tapping into things while in the parks? Also, does everyone needs to tap in when entering a ride or does only one person in the group need to do it? Thanks all!

If you allow your sister and her daughter to login to your MDE on their phones, your plan would work fine. They would still need to tap in for rides with their magic mobile, or with their magic bands, etc.. They need access to your MDE in order to book rides, and each person can book a different ride. You don't all have to pick the same ones. Each person needs to tap in when entering a ride (not just one person of the group). Hope this helps!

If you allow your sister and her daughter to login to your MDE on their phones, your plan would work fine. They would still need to tap in for rides with their magic mobile, or with their magic bands, etc.. They need access to your MDE in order to book rides, and each person can book a different ride. You don't all have to pick the same ones. Each person needs to tap in when entering a ride (not just one person of the group). Hope this helps!

It does, thank you! To expand on what you said, if I reassign the tickets to my sister, then she wouldn't have to sign into my MDE, and could sign into her own correct?

Also, if my niece doesn't have a phone, would she then need either a card or a magic band to tap in?

If I bought tickets for my sister and her daughter and they stay under my management on MDE, am I the only one who will be able to/need to tap into the fast passes when entering the lightning lanes? OR will my sister also be able to use her own magic mobile to tap in, even if the tickets are under my MDE?

You can absolutely manage everyone using just one MDE account if each person has their own MagicBand or hard plastic ticket. I believe each person using MagicMobile to use their phone to tap in needs their own account. If two people are logged in to the same account on two different phones, I'm pretty sure those phones will both register as the same person when tapping in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter