The flu shot is in

Yep. I've only had the flu once but it was horrible enough that even 20 years later, I remember how awful it was! If the shot has any chance of effectiveness, I'm getting it. If there is any chance of it lessening the severity even if I happen to contract the flu, I'm getting it. It's free with insurance and it is almost painless so why not.

Plus I am pregnant so this year it is for myself and also my newborn who will be born in prime flu season. My daughter also gets the flu shot and a lot of kids around here must get it too since her peds office holds flu clinics and it is first come, first served and there have been times when we had to wait a week or two because they run out.

What the CDC says is "sometimes" or occasionally, not rarely, Dr. Google.

It's not worth arguing over. If you think that the shot will protect you from the "stomach flu", that's fine with me.

From the CDC...

While vomiting, diarrhea, and being nauseous or “sick to your stomach” can sometimes be related to the flu — more commonly in children than adults — these problems are rarely the main symptoms of influenza.

From Flu.gov
Is the stomach flu really the flu?
Many people use “stomach flu” to describe illness with nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Many different viruses, bacteria, or parasites can cause these symptoms. While the flu can sometimes cause vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea—more commonly in children than adults — these problems are rarely the main symptoms of the flu. The flu is a respiratory disease and not a stomach or intestinal disease.

You might not want to generalize like that. No, it's not 100 percent effective but it's an important tool for some with respiratory issues.
This is a classic example of what's known as the Nirvana Fallacy.
The perfect solution fallacy (aka the nirvana fallacy) is a fallacy of assumption: if an action is not a perfect solution to a problem, it is not worth taking. Stated baldly, the assumption is obviously false. The fallacy is usually stated more subtly, however. For example, arguers against specific vaccines, such as the flu vaccine, or vaccines in general often emphasize the imperfect nature of vaccines as a good reason for not getting vaccinated
So the notion expressed by some is that unless the seasonal flu vaccine has a consistently high degree of effectiveness, then it's "useless" or "doesn't work". While without a doubt the degree of predictive accuracy in determining the antigens to use in each year's trivalent vaccine have covered a wide range in the last ten years, the myopic thing those that claim the vaccine is useless or not worth it miss is that fact that even at last year's below average estimated 23% effectiveness against the strains that were actually circulating, the vaccine still has plenty of benefit to society. Because even at 23%, that still will translate into a significant number of cases of the flu prevented, along with associated hospitalizations and other negative side-effects, across a population. On top of that, people tend to view all of this in a vacuum and forget that such disease prevention also has a multiplier effect in that when you prevent one case of the flu, you also prevent additional cases that the infected person then may have spread to others.

The infectious disease doctor Mark Crislip sums it up this way:
In part I do infection control for a living and we are successful when nothing happens, but people do not notice when nothing occurs, and I have to point out the benefits of events not happening. Potential benefits of flu vaccination include:
  • I don’t influenza.
  • I don’t get influenza and therefore don’t give it my Grandmother.
  • I don’t get the flu and do not pass it on to my hospitalized patient, who tend to die from nosocomial influenza.
  • I get influenza, but it is milder and I miss less work.
  • I get influenza and because it is milder and less infectious I don’t give it to my Grandmother.
  • Because my Grandmother doesn’t get influenza she does not have an exacerbation of her heart failure, diabetes, COPD etc.
  • My grandmother doesn’t get the flu and as a result doesn’t have a secondary myocardial infarction or bacterial pneumonia and is not hospitalized and doesn’t die as a result.
  • My pregnant wife doesn’t get the flu (from me or due to vaccination) and as such does not have miscarriage or is not admitted to the hospital with ARDS from influenza.
  • My obese Uncle doesn’t get the flu (from me or due to vaccination) and is not admitted with ARDS from influenza.
I have discussed flu vaccination multiple times in the blog. The question is not IF influenza vaccination works. It does. It is the magnitude of the effect and in what populations it is effective that is the question. The preponderance of information suggests the for most of the endpoints above, the influenza vaccine has beneficial effects. It’s not a great vaccine but better than nothing.

It's not worth arguing over. If you think that the shot will protect you from the "stomach flu", that's fine with me.

From the CDC...

While vomiting, diarrhea, and being nauseous or “sick to your stomach” can sometimes be related to the flu — more commonly in children than adults — these problems are rarely the main symptoms of influenza.

From Flu.gov
Is the stomach flu really the flu?
Many people use “stomach flu” to describe illness with nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Many different viruses, bacteria, or parasites can cause these symptoms. While the flu can sometimes cause vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea—more commonly in children than adults — these problems are rarely the main symptoms of the flu. The flu is a respiratory disease and not a stomach or intestinal disease.
I had a diagnosed case of the flu last year. I did have vomiting and other issues, but I also took tamiflu. One of the main side effects of tamiflu is vomiting. I could see why people who didn't know and took tamiflu would think it was the flu causing the issues. I get my flu shot every year (except last year duh) but I would think twice about the tamiflu if I got it again

I can't say I have ever gotten the influenza virus. I don't see the point in getting the shot. If I had an underlying health issue, I might feel differently.

Ok I am going to jump into the fray. As a health care professional I think all people need to educate themselves on the flu vaccine then make a decision as to whether that is something they want.

The hospital I worked at required everyone to take that flu vaccine or be fired. I know some would say "Well all those who are exposed to the general public in their jobs should be required to". Well I will tell you that's a bunch of crap. How would you like to be told that you have to have your skin puncture and receive a vaccine that has been a toss up possibly injected into you against your better judgement or be fired. Sounds a bit extreme aye!!!

One of the Nurses that followed the rules and received her mandatory injection now has Gullien Barre syndrome. Her life is forever changed.

Healthcare professionals who follow the rules wear gloves, masks and wash their hands and make sure those who are ill with things that can be easily transmitted are put in isolation have a significant decrease in possibility of catching everyone else's germs.

Proper handwashing goes a long way in preventing cross contamination.

I think people should be more concerned about what I cultured off the door knobs of nice restaurants and the children's riding machines outside of some shops. Heads up. Uses the disinfectant wipes for your grocery carts and wipe off things your little ones are touching in public and use hand towels to open public restrooms doors after washing your hands.

The CDC makes their best educated guess on the predicted strains they think will be prevalent every flu season. Sometimes they are right sometimes they are wrong.

You cannot get the flu from the flu vaccine. It is in killed virus form and will only trigger your immune system if you come in contact with the predicted virus strain. It take about 2 weeks for the it to be at full strength in your immune system after injection. If you are exposed to someone with the virus before that time you will get sick.

Again I think it is about choice. Everyone should have that right, even healthcare professionals.

I think many people who think they've had the flu haven't because if you had, most people would choose anything that might help them not get it again. ( notice I said many and most, so that obviously doesn't mean everyone...just being proactive in response) :)

The flu does not last 2 days. I've had it once. In 1996. It was so bad I remember the year. I've gotten the flu shot every year since. I've been sick with really bad colds since but not with the flu.

Last winter, we had Type-A influenza sweep our house while our medically fragile baby was fighting a form of leukemia. They diagnosed Tamiflu for the whole family, but no pharmacy within 100 miles was able to get it in stock until several days later.

I don't care about the vaccinations. They are not right for everyone - you have to weigh the benefits and risks. And no, they won't stop the spread of all flu strains. I would much rather folks just STAY HOME when sick. If you're coughing, sneezing, or running a fever, then keep your family home until everyone is recovered. Please don't send sick kids to school, day care or even stores if you can help it.

I try to quarantine my family whenever we have a bug in the house. Yes, it is highly inconvenient, but IMHO, going in public while you know you are contagious is rude and irresponsible.

I agree with you Pop Goes the Weasel. If everyone was considerate enough to do that it would save everyone a lot of grief.

I hope your little one is doing better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter