The fabulous dining adventures of Trisha and Connie

I am really enjoying your reviews. The pizza box from room service is SO cute - so cute that I may have to order pizza from WL room service our first night in WDW! My kids would get such a kick out of that!!!

Looking forward to more.

Can you tell me how you and your mom liked the shrimp pasta at LeCellier? I was thinking about ordering this on our next trip. Thank you, love your reports!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give all the details and pictures. Going in Aug. & have ADRs for LeCellier (went there 2 yrs. ago & loved it). The room service does look delicious. SO GREAT that you treated your mom to this trip. I have 2 daughters in their early 20s (one at a "real" job and one still in college for her master's)....would LOVE to be "treated back" for the many trips we've taken and continue to take. That would be the ultimate compliment for me, especially in Disney!! Congratulations on your promotion. The tea looks terrific, too! Oh, to wish one of my daughters will do this with me!! :goodvibes
Looking forward to the rest of your reviews....I know they're time-consuming, but we at home REALLY appreciate them!!

Thanks for taking the time to post your reviews and pictures. Everything looks tasty!

One word...Yummm! Thank you so much for taking the time to write these reviews. This will be our first trip to the world (although I have been to DL almost yearly). These reviews and pictures really do help! :thumbsup2
Keyana

Thanks so much for the reviews --- especially the pictures!!! It so helps me decide what to have on our next trip! I was showing your picture of the Le Cellier mussels app. to my DS15 -- I think he would LOVE them.

Thank you for all of your kind words. It has encouraged me to actually get this done (it helps that tomorrow is a stat holiday here in Canada so it’s a three day week end).

So I left off after the tea.....

Our Tea ADR had been for 3:20 p.m. and knowing that we would be hungry later, I had made an ADR at Olivia’s (at OKW) for 8:40 that night. I was not sure if we would keep it (I didn’t know if we would be hungry again) but as it turned out we both decided what the heck, let’s go - we have a fridge and a microwave and being at our hotel it would be easy to transport any leftovers
so we headed over.

To start with, mom got the soup of the day - loaded baked potato - which was very chunky and creamy. It had potato, bacon, and chives. I got the crab cakes after checking with the chef to ensure that there was no possibility that my mom’s meal would be contaminated (my mother is deathly allergic to crab - mussels just make her lips swell but crab closes her throat). He assured me that her meal would be prepared separately and there would not be any problems. I usually just don’t order crab when I am with my mom (and she knows this) but she usually pushes me to get it because she feels bad that I feel bad ordering it when it means that we can’t share any part
of the meal unless I get a new fork (just in case). Anyways, these were very crispy and very filling. There were large pieces of crab and not too much filler.

77252crab_cakes.jpg

77252soup1.jpg

77252soup2.jpg

For entrees my mom got the pork chop with sweet potato puree and I got the beef rib with “island style beans”. My mom’s pork chop was very good - it was thick and grilled perfectly (the waiter had asked how we would like it done - ummm well done? It’s pork you know - he said he wasn’t sure why they had to ask that because he thought pork should always be fully cooked and I have
always thought so to but I guess if someone wants to chance it, they at least have that option). And the sweet potatoes....mmmm good. They were very smooth and creamy with just the right touch of nutmeg / butter. Now, for my meal. Let me say that the beef rib was very good. It had a nice bbq sauce which was not spicy, just tangy and it was melt off the bone good. However, the beans were possibly one of the worst things I have ever had. They were pasty and starchy and had no other flavour. It seemed that they have just soaked and been boiled too long and it made them inedible. That’s right, one bite that was it. I will give the waiter credit, when he saw that I had removed the beef rib to my bread plate and had put the beans to the side of the table he offered me another side but quite honestly I was just about done eating and I didn’t want to get another side just to take it to go. So I said no thank you.

77252porkchop.jpg

77252beefrib.jpg

For dessert we each got a key lime pie. Now neither of us wanted dessert (we had enough sweets with our tea) but we asked for them to go. The waiter said he could not pack them up in the kitchen but what he would do is bring them to the table along with take out containers and he would pack them up at the table. So he brought everything out, let me take a picture, and then packed them up for us. Strange, but it worked.

77252keylimepie.jpg

The next day, we had the key lime pie for breakfast - I didn’t actually know that I liked key lime pie, but hey there isn’t too much citrus I don’t like. As it turns out I REALLY like key lime pie (the crust not so much) but the filling is so creamy and tart, it’s right up my alley.

We went to the Animal Kingdom and after a few rides and shows ended up at Pizzafari. Now this was never my first choice but it had started to rain slightly it stopped about 10 sec. After we went into the restaurant of course) so we stopped in. Mom and I shared a hot deli sandwich (it was a toss up between this and the chicken parm sandwich but I was concerned that the chicken would be a preformed, mashed chicken patty so I stuck with the deli sandwich (I have no idea what the chicken sandwich is so please don’t not try it just because I didn’t). We also got a diet coke and a frozen strawberry lemonade for dessert. The sandwich was good - in addition to the meat/cheese it also has marinated tomatoes and Caesar salad on top. The bread is crusty on the outside but very soft in the middle. The strawberry lemonade was so good I almost wanted to get a second one. It was not bitter at all (which I find sometime with lemonade) and not overly sweet (which I find sometimes with lemonade to combat my first complaint, lol).

77252pizzafari.jpg

77252pizzafari2.jpg

For dinner we decided to once again patronize the POFQ food court. This time we each got the 1/4 chicken and ribs with mashed potatoes and corn. Since we had mugs, I got a raspberry lemonade for later and my mom got a citrus punch for later. For dessert I got the beignets (3) and my mom got a piece of pecan pie. The chicken and ribs were as good as you would get at Outbacks and well, the mashed potatoes were once again, the highlight of my meal why don’t I make them at home? Oh right too much work and mess for one!) My mom took her pecan pie back to OKW with her and ate it before bed. She said it was good but didn’t eat the crusty because to quote “I’m just not a crusty person!” she is just a riot sometimes. I had gotten the beignets after reading about them on the DIS but once again I was disappointed. I don’t know what I was expecting but they were just fried dough with powdered sugar on the top ( and lots of sugar too - my top changed from pink to white they were so messy). I think mine were also a little under cooked because deep fried dough should not collapse the way mine did. For those who can eat these without looking like they are walking through a snow storm, I salute you!

77252chickenribs2.jpg

77252chickenribs1.jpg

The next day I am not sure what exactly we had for breakfast since I didn’t write it down and I honestly can’t think of what we still had in the room. Anyways, this was another Epcot day so we hit Season’s in the Land for lunch. We shared the grilled salmon and mashed potatoes with an orange Soarin’ creme brulee. I know the creme brulee at Le Cellier is good, but this is my hands down favourite of the trip. It was firm and the glaze was crispy without being hard. And it was orange flavoured (you know I didn’t realize how much I tend to order citrus things until I started to write this - I always thought of myself as more a chocolate person but I guess not). I highly recommend Seasons to anyone looking for a good place to eat in future world at Epcot (oh and the drinks are serve yourself so if you want it - or you’re sharing - grab the large one cause it’s covered on the DDP).

77252salmon_-_sunshine_seasons.jpg

Now with all of the fabulous restaurants around the World Showcase, you would think that we would be adventurous right? But in order to fulfill my mom’s - anything’s fine with me except...... our choices are pretty much Le Cellier, Rose and Crown and Alfredo’s. The English are not known for their great food (hey I can say that I’ve been there) and at my Dad’s request we
did not go to Alfredo’s (since it is his must do for October when we return next) so Le Cellier again it was (I know a real hardship to eat there twice in a trip). Anyways, having enjoyed the mussels so much the first time I ordered them again and they were just as good as the first time. My mother got the shrimp cocktail (mom, that comes with wasabi coleslaw - I don’t care I just
won’t eat that part - It’s spicy - Umm Trisha, I don’t really like this, don’t eat it ma, I feel so bad wasting it, don’t eat it ma, have a bite Trisha I am sure you’ll like it, I don’t want any, please if you have some it will make me feel better that it’s not such a waste, fine mom - wow that is spicy - the first five minutes of our dinner conversation after the appetizers arrived).

77252shrimp.jpg

77252mussels1.jpg

We both order the mushroom filet with risotto (this is my mom’s one exception to not liking beef and I think it’s because she really likes the risotto). The steaks were perfect but I would expect nothing less.

77252filet2.jpg

77252filet1.jpg

For dessert the waitress let us know that we could have any dessert but if we wanted the sampler we would need both of our “dessert credits” to get one. Since we were both very full, we decided this would be our best course of action so we could enjoy a bite of the three desserts. The waiter who delivered it actually delivered two of them (I guess he misunderstood) but it took me 5 min to convince him that we only got one and please don’t leave the other one. Our waitress came over and straightened it out.

The service was once again excellent. Drinks were refilled quickly and the server made several suggestions (including the mussels) and spoke with us at length because she was from out west and really wanted to visit Toronto one day.

The next day it was EMH at MK so we headed in nice and early and proceeded to waste most of it enjoying an ooey gooey cinnamon roll and french toast loaf with a diet coke from the Main street bakery. The cinnamon roll was huge and very airy - it was good but really sweet (better for a mid morning break than first thing) and the french toast loaf lived up to it’s hype. It was layer upon layer of maple french toast goodness (sorry I meant to take a picture of it).

For lunch we stopped at Pinnochio’s Village Haus and shared a turkey panini with baked lays, a cannoli and a diet coke. The sandwich was okay but not as good as the sandwich from Pizzafari. The cannoli shell was hard and the filling was just sweet with no real flavour to it. My mother thought that it was “lacking Disney quality”.

77252pinnochio.jpg

77252sandwich.jpg

For dinner we went to Planet Hollywood. I know this restaurant gets knocked on the DIS quite regularly but we really enjoy it. For appetizers we had the potato skins and the Texas tostados. Cover just about anything with cheese and put some sour cream on the side and I like it. They were both good and the portions were huge.

77252tostados.jpg

77252potatoskins.jpg

There was a delay in the entrees which the waiter came out to explain. It wasn’t a problem for us because we weren’t in any hurry. The waiter seemed surprised when I said, “that’s okay, it’s not your fault”. I think he had been getting a hard time from other tables about it.

For entrees we had the L.A. Lasagna and one of the steaks. I ate my green beans and a few fries but packed the steak up to go back to the room after one taste of my mom’s Lasagna, it was so good!

77252steak.jpg

77252lalasgna.jpg

For dessert we each ordered the same thing - the banana fosters cheesecake. I wasn’t sure about a warm sauce over cheesecake but hey, if I didn’t like it, it didn’t really matter (because of the DDP). It was actually really good, the cheesecake seemed to melt just a little and it made it so sweet and creamy and the banana’s were caramelized just right. We ended up each taking back about half of our pieces for later.

77252bananacheesecake.jpg

The shrimp pasta at le cellier was very good - a little too much sundried tomato in my (and my mother's) opinion, but that was easy to pick out. The shrimps were absolutely huge and it was a good combo of flavours (with the spinach, etc).

There are still a couple of more meals to come.....

You did the Afternoon Tea!!! I decided that I wanted my mom and I to do this on our trip, something different than we have done on our previous trips. I am so excited! And I love the pictures! Thanks for sharing!

PrincessTrisha said:
Because of information grazed from the DIS I knew that OKW didn’t have a food court and after viewing their menu on allearsnet, I knew that to use all of our counter service credits I would have to find an acceptable food court. Right around the corner from OKW is POFQ and because we had a car it was very convenient. So on our way back from Epcot we stopped here and bought
some refillable mugs (because I intended to use this food court several times and I love me some diet coke!)

We still weren’t really hungry after our big lunch but because we had the microwave we stopped and picked up a meal for a little later. We got the ½ chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and corn with corn bread and a fruit bowl for dessert (or breakfast the next day). They have the best mashed potatoes at WDW (it may have something to do with the fact that I don't make mashed potatoes at home :rotfl: )

For breakfast the next day we ate the leftover shrimp pasta from le Cellier and headed out to do more shopping. I was looking for an animal snow globe as a baby shower gift so eventually we ended up at AKL to check out their store. We had stayed at this hotel last Nov/Dec so I knew that they had a decent food court as well.

We split the fried shrimp dinner with fries (for me) and coleslaw (for mom) and a piece of cheesecake with strawberry sauce and of course a bottle of diet coke. The shrimps were nice and plump but they did have a heavy breading on them. Fries are fries, and the coleslaw was the creamy kind. The cheesecake was good, and it was nice that the sauce comes on the side since
my mom likes it and I don’t (I am a plain cheesecake kind of person).

77252mara.jpg

We went back to the hotel for a bit to swim and work up an appetite before heading over to the Grand Floridian for tea.

I had peppermint tea, lemon poundcake and trifle and my mom got the Buckingham palace with the sandwiches (which she shared with me - such a good mom!) And the scone / jam tart and two pastries.

77252tea1.jpg

77252tea2.jpg

77252tea3.jpg

77252tea4.jpg

It was wonderful and a very nice “girly” thing to do. The poundcake is soaked (well at least sprinkled) with real lemon juice so it has a nice sweet/tart mix going. The trifle had grand Marnier flavour in it which if I had know I probably would not have ordered it (I am also not a big fan of alcohol flavouring). The sandwiches were nice and the scone was warm and fresh. The pastries were good (and that says a lot since my mom used to be a pastry chef and I myself
owned/operated a bakery for 2 years.)

Still more to come......

Okay so for the final installment.....

We enjoy leftovers for breakfast and had an early lunch at Whispering Canyon Café. I had originally booked Narcoosee’s (2TS) but when we woke up neither of us were in a “fancy” mood so I called Disney dining to see what I could get for lunch and dinner. I secured a 12:10 Lunch reservation for Whispering Canyon and a 7:50pm reservation for Kona Café.

For lunch both my mom and I got the skillet. The coleslaw was creamy and okay (hey it’s sliced cabbage, what else can I say?) But the cornbread was good (it’s not something we get too much of up here in Canada but we really enjoy it). Then the waitress brought the skillet. Wow! The chicken was really tasty (although my mom found the skin to be too peppery / spicy) and the ribs
were very tender and the sauce was again tangy - not spicy. The mashed potatoes were very buttery and you could tell that they were real (no instant here) but the corn on the cob stole the show. I ended up having 3 pieces - it came pre butter and was just the best (I guess because it is out of season, most of the time you get corn now it is frozen and off the cob, but these cobs were very fresh) They were quick with the refills (more chicken, ribs, corn and potatoes). Oh the skillet has sausage as well, but neither mom nor I like sausage. We had asked for it to be left off but the kitchen forgot - the waitress offered to bring us a different skillet but said this one would need to be tossed so we said just to leave it - we just won’t eat the sausage. Because both my mom and I were drinking diet coke, the waitress brought us a giant mason jar full because “she didn’t want to be running and fetching refills for the likes of you guys”. They did play with us a bit which was nice but they also didn’t push which I was thankful for. This is a must do for our
next trip as well. For dessert we were too full so the waitress packed up some chocolate chip cookies for our dessert. Although not the best financial use of a credit it was a good meal.

77252cornbreadcoleslaw.jpg

77252giantpop.jpg

77252cookies.jpg

We had 4 leftover counter service credits so before dinner we hit the POFQ food court yet again (BTW, we stopped here on the way to and from the parks everyday to fill up our mugs). I got 4 of the ½ chicken dinners with mashed potatoes and corn which we packed up (froze the chicken) to
take home with us (we were driving so we ended up enjoying it for dinner Sunday and Monday night - just a little touch of Disney at home).

For dinner we went over to the Polynesian for dinner at the Kona Café - our reservation was for 7:50 but did not get seated until almost 9:00pm. Our little slip had gotten put to the side and our name was not called - we checked a couple of times and they just kept saying - about another 15 min. Finally they realized what had happened and seated us right away.

For dinner we each got the sticky wings for our appetizers. Wow these are good! My mom is not usually a wing person but she really enjoyed these ones.

77252konawings2.jpg

77252konawings.jpg

For entrees my mom got the macadamia mahimahi and I got the filet mignons with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Both of these entrees were amazing. They were so good and we were so happy with our choices, neither of us wanted to share with each other.

77252filet.jpg

77252mahimahi.jpg

For dessert, we both got the white chocolate cheesecake because we were so full and were looking for something to take with us.

77252cheesecake2.jpg

77252cheesecake.jpg

Now we were a little ticked at the hostess for losing our ticket but I guess fate does work in mysterious ways because as we were coming out of Kona and walked by the big windows, Wishes started. We stood and watched the fireworks (with the sound / music piped in). It was a great end to a great trip.

So that’s it. I had priced out our dining with and without the dining plan and I figured it would cost about the same. The difference was that we would be able to order anything and everything we wanted on the dining plan. If I was paying out of pocket probably the best food items of the trip would not have been ordered - at le Cellier - well almost everything - we would have had the
sandwiches there at lunch - no appetizers and shared a creme brulee dessert. Kona would have been out of the question (at it was very close to being tied with le Cellier as the best meal of the trip). The orange creme brulee would not have been purchased and even the ½ chicken dinner or the chicken and ribs - we probably would have gone for something cheaper. So although we
ended up bringing food home, I had to remember that because our actual dining (without appetizers / desserts , eating at less expensive restaurants) would have been the same cost, the extra counter service meals were free.

Hope you enjoyed my reviews :wizard:

Great reviews...and may I ask (I may have missed it) who is the little man in your pics? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter