The Everything Victoria & Albert's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
An update for all ... 7-4-2015....

I "force called" V&A tonight:). That would be me getting around the official V&A reservation number, not operating, and getting to the desk....

V&A is just about up to the October 10 ressies, in terms of call back. They are having a major problem - WITH THE WDW COMPUTER SYSTEM. Israel is having no problem at all.... but people want an "official" RES number, and it's turning into a mess. WDW's computer system is apparently having yet MORE issues...

So - please be patient, wait for V&A to call, IGNORE THAT STINKING WDW SYSTEM .... if V&A says you have a Res? SHOW UP. Really - who are you going to trust? An Intel microprocessor? Or Israel ? :).

I called May 2nd for a ressie on November 4th and even though I was told I'd be called back in 6-7 weeks, I haven't heard back. I'm getting nervous! I've tried to call V&As at 407-939-3862 but never get an answer. I'm worried they misplaced my "hold" on a reservation and we slipped through the cracks. This is the meal my fiance is most looking forward to on our honeymoon and I really don't want to have dropped the ball on it!

Any advice?

I called May 2nd for a ressie on November 4th and even though I was told I'd be called back in 6-7 weeks, I haven't heard back. I'm getting nervous! I've tried to call V&As at 407-939-3862 but never get an answer. I'm worried they misplaced my "hold" on a reservation and we slipped through the cracks. This is the meal my fiance is most looking forward to on our honeymoon and I really don't want to have dropped the ball on it!

Any advice?

How come they didn't put it in when you called?

How come they didn't put it in when you called?

They said they were preparing for major menu and dining time changes due to Food and Wine Festival and wouldn't have details for several weeks. Thus, they weren't able to make definitive reservations at that time. She said she was writing me down for the 6 pm hour (our prefered time) and that we'd be called back in several weeks with a definitive reservation and confirmation number.

Any advice?

I got ahold of them on the morning of July 4th and they are running behind. Like the pp stated, they were up to Oct 10th on contacting reservation holders.

When we originally booked several weeks ago, I did not have a resort reservation to give her to attach to MDE, so she just took down our basic info: name, phone number, email, etc. And on the 4th she was able to pull us up no problem.

Last edited:
I got ahold of them on the morning of July 4th and they are running behind. Like the pp stated, they were up to Oct 10th on contacting reservation holders.

When we originally booked several weeks ago, I did not have a resort reservation to give her to attach to MDE, so she just took down our basic info: name, phone number, email, etc. And on the 4th she was able to pull us up no problem.

Ahhhhhh I gotcha. As flooded as they get, I'd never rely on their word :\
I called them the day before our +10 opened, she put us in for a QVR adr in December

Just to clarify.... V&A isn't really "behind" - they got socked trying to get REAL RES NUMBERS into the WDW computer system :). I'm pretty sure if this issue had not cropped up? They would be done by now :).

I'm in a similar situation. Made a reservation for 1 November at 180+10 and they took my details and said to expect a call back in 4-6 weeks to confirm details.

I was starting to get anxious, as this is the dinner we are most looking forward to. I got the following information back:

"Thank you for the email. Your reservation for November 1st is still safe.

Our system went up to start booking and the system was over loaded with all of the reservations we have been booking, so it crashed and we hope to have it back up later next week. As soon as we are able to move all bookings into the system we will send you the on line confirmation number for you to link your reservation on my Disney Experience. Give it about two more weeks
."

Hope that helps everyone who is waiting for a confirmation like me.

Last edited:
Just to clarify.... V&A isn't really "behind" - they got socked trying to get REAL RES NUMBERS into the WDW computer system :). I'm pretty sure if this issue had not cropped up? They would be done by now :).

She used the word behind because they didn't back with some people on/within the timeframe originally stated. She also mentioned that I would receive an email in a few days with a confirmation number...but it could take a little longer.

...but, I agree, I'm sure they are doing the best they can with all of new changes going on. :)

Just wanted to give everybody an update (as I don't think it was mentioned), but I just called the V&A reservation line to discuss a reservation in January 2016, and the change to the Queen Victoria room with the forced wine pairing (and higher cost) is permanent. Even if you don't want/drink any wine, they still charge you for it. :(

Just wanted to give everybody an update (as I don't think it was mentioned), but I just called the V&A reservation line to discuss a reservation in January 2016, and the change to the Queen Victoria room with the forced wine pairing (and higher cost) is permanent. Even if you don't want/drink any wine, they still charge you for it. :(

We plan on getting the wine pairing anyway, but I think this is ridiculous. I'm sure people who want the wine won't mind the price but it won't take more than a second for those who don't drink to notice that they're being charged for something they don't want. Maybe they don't like people "sharing" the wine pairing so they're forcing everyone to have it?

I'm sure they'll get a few complaints about this.

I keep seeing people mention "add-ons" to the main menu and I was wondering what sort of add-ons there were. DH & I are both vegetarian so I know we won't be adding on any of the meat upgrades, but were there others that we might be interested in? We are dining in the Queen's room on Sept. 8th and plan on doing the wine pairing (there are 2 of us). I was going to set aside around $850-900 to cover the meals, wine, tax and tip. Does that sound about right?

We plan on getting the wine pairing anyway, but I think this is ridiculous. I'm sure people who want the wine won't mind the price but it won't take more than a second for those who don't drink to notice that they're being charged for something they don't want. Maybe they don't like people "sharing" the wine pairing so they're forcing everyone to have it?

My husband enjoys wine, but I really just don't like alcohol at all (there are a grand total of like four alcoholic drinks I've tried that I've liked, and honestly I'd like them all better without the alcohol in them). I asked if he could have my share too. They said no, too much wine (which is sensible and quite understandable).

The explanation I got from the lady on the phone (who was really very, very nice) was that they want to offer a new experience. There's a bunch of changes coming to the main dining room as well, like a new 10 course menu based on the chef's international travels, I think? This is in addition to the normal 7 course menu, of course.

She said the idea behind the new policy in the QV room is that the sommelier chooses wines for the evening that he wants to showcase and the chefs prepare courses around the wines. It's supposed to be a very wine-focused experience.

Also, re: your question about add-ons, usually there's I think white truffle shavings (as a topping) and caviar you can purchase for an additional charge.

Frequent reader seldom poster here.....
V&A is our fave restaurant at WDW, well actually it's our favorite period. We try to dine there at least once per trip

I keep seeing people mention "add-ons" to the main menu and I was wondering what sort of add-ons there were. DH & I are both vegetarian so I know we won't be adding on any of the meat upgrades, but were there others that we might be interested in? We are dining in the Queen's room on Sept. 8th and plan on doing the wine pairing (there are 2 of us). I was going to set aside around $850-900 to cover the meals, wine, tax and tip. Does that sound about right?

Hi Ismo the add-ons or extra cost items. Example(July 2011 menu)If you want Caviar it is $60 for 1/2oz on top of the cost of the dinner.......I don't *think* there are any vegetarian extras.......Your cost estimate sounds about right

Well it's official, and now main room gets 10-course option as well http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-alberts-expands-exquisite-dining-experience/

I was just going to post this!

We have dined at V&A many times over that last 15 years -- main dining room, chef's table many times, plus the Victoria Room. After lots of experiences at V&A, we have decided that the problem with the wine pairings is that they usually include one pretty nice wine and a bunch of stuff that dh and I consider rather mediocre. We were once served a reisling at the chef's table that is the same as one served at the wine bar at the Germany Pavilion (cost about $8 per bottle).

We gave up going to V&A because we no longer thought there was enough value in the planned wine pairings and we felt the multi-course tasting meal called for more than just one really nice bottle of red from their outstanding list. We considered buying 2-3 half bottles to go with the various courses, but their half bottle selection is very limited. Last time we dined in the Victoria Room, we each ordered the wine pairings and then we bought a very expensive 1/2 bottle of an Italian Bordeaux-style red which we drank with the main courses. The 1/2 bottle was so completely superior to the two main course reds that were in the wine pairings that we decided, "Okay, no more wine pairings for us. If we go back, we'll order something really spectacular from the wine list and that will be that."

Now to find out the wine pairings are forced on patrons in the Victoria Room. That likely will be the final nail for dh. Unfortunately, to us V&A has become something of a high-priced tourist trap. This latest salvo just reinforces that.

Well it's official, and now main room gets 10-course option as well http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-alberts-expands-exquisite-dining-experience/

* my response is not directed at you - more like what was told to several of us *

There is nothing on there that suggests that this was done in celebration of the 20th F&W Festival (like many of us were told). This appears to be an intentional and permanent change and price hike. Was touting the 'F&W enhanced menu' their way of getting people to believe they were partaking in a special menu'ed event...while really it was about filling the restaurant during the transition of a major price hike? If so, that's a bit messed up and below V&A standards, imo.

:sad2:

Anyways. Hmmm, "innovative...avant garde," I'm going to need to see this 'new' 10 course menu now. If it looks a little too innovative for me, I'll probably go back to the "traditional" 7 course.

We have dined at V&A many times over that last 15 years -- main dining room, chef's table many times, plus the Victoria Room. After lots of experiences at V&A, we have decided that the problem with the wine pairings is that they usually include one pretty nice wine and a bunch of stuff that dh and I consider rather mediocre. We were once served a reisling at the chef's table that is the same as one served at the wine bar at the Germany Pavilion (cost about $8 per bottle).

We gave up going to V&A because we no longer thought there was enough value in the planned wine pairings and we felt the multi-course tasting meal called for more than just one really nice bottle of red from their outstanding list. We considered buying 2-3 half bottles to go with the various courses, but their half bottle selection is very limited. Last time we dined in the Victoria Room, we each ordered the wine pairings and then we bought a very expensive 1/2 bottle of an Italian Bordeaux-style red which we drank with the main courses. The 1/2 bottle was so completely superior to the two main course reds that were in the wine pairings that we decided, "Okay, no more wine pairings for us. If we go back, we'll order something really spectacular from the wine list and that will be that."

Now to find out the wine pairings are forced on patrons in the Victoria Room. That likely will be the final nail for dh. Unfortunately, to us V&A has become something of a high-priced tourist trap. This latest salvo just reinforces that.

We don't drink, but an $8 bottle of wine at V&A? I personally wouldn't have expected that. I cook with wines for that price, ha. But, for sure, Elizabeth, I completely understand...

Wellllllll - forgive us :). We like it :). We go to V&A once per year, Main Dinning Room EXCEPT for significant events - in which case we go for QV.

Best way to put our PERSONAL take on all of this.... Israel is going to do what Israel considers to be BEST in terms of experience. The rest is purely a matter of recovering costs, with a decent profit :). Maybe just me.... I really TRUST this most excellent Restaurateur :).

I love V&A as well, and will be going there during my trip in January- and hopefully every year after that.

And I know that they know more about running a restaurant than I do, and this is their decision to make, and that they'll have no problem booking up those four tables every night, but...

I am really disappointed with this decision. I've been waiting over two years to go back and dine in the Queen Victoria's room, but for now I just don't see that happening with this new policy. I don't think I can justify paying $105 right now for something I'm not going to get/enjoy just to eat in that room.
The QV room is supposed to be a very special experience and I know a lot of people go there on special occasions, but now because of the mandatory wine pairing, anyone that doesn't or can't drink alcohol is being penalized if they decide they want to dine there.

Which is, in the end, our choice to do so and their restaurant, but it's still pretty dismaying.

So let me get this straight...

1.) The 10-course menu is now available to the Main Dining Room, but comes with a mandatory wine pairing for $340
2.) The QVR is $340 for that same exact 10-course menu, with the mandatory wine pairing.
3.) Chef's Table is $250 with an option for wine.

How does that work?
And is there now any advantage to getting the QVR vs the MDR 10 course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter