The Everything Victoria & Albert's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to V&A in August and had a wonderful meal with wonderful service. My only complaint was they gave us a loaf to eat for breakfast the following day which when we looked at it was over a week out of date. It had been bought from baby cakes and I thought that was very bad from a restaurant like this but we really couldn't fault the food, the atmosphere or the service.

The recent negative reviews are interesting. I can certainly understand being disappointed by a less-than-stellar experience. Expectations are justifiably high when you pay $200 per head. They should be able to impress almost anyone. For those reporting "bad" food, can you be more specific? Was it not to your taste, was it not prepared to generally-accepted standards, etc.? For example, at first glance, an Asian-inspired amuse bouche sounds wonderful to me. What made it terrible? I would also be offended if nearby tables clearly received superior service because they were better connected or appeared wealthier. I don't understood snobby/aloof servers at places like this. Waiting tables can make a good living, but it won't make you an oil tycoon. I suppose it's a bit of a sore spot for me. My husband and I are relatively young and admittedly a little nerdy, but we're polite, love good food & wine, and tip 20-25%. We ran into snobby service at Citrico's earlier this year, and we were really taken aback. (They sat us at someone else's table and then unapologetically asked us to move, served us oxidized wine, never re-filled our drinks, and apparently forgot to offer dessert, all while we tried to gracefully roll with the punches. No fun.) I don't know... do the super-wealthy really tip that much better? I'm headed to V&A's in early December and will keep my expectations in check. Thanks for the reviews.

We absolutely loved the Asian inspired amaze Boucher when we were there in August.

In my case, I think I gave pretty detailed descriptions of what wasn't good about the food and service. The Asian inspired amuse bouche had three items and they all tasted the same- very vinegary and personally I don't go to a French inspired restaurant for Asian inspired food. The rest of my courses ( and dislikes) are described above.

I'm not sure where you get the idea it is French inspired. It is advertised as being inspired by the Victorian dining rooms in London

Here's the deal. We have eaten here many, many times. On every other visit, every food item & service was amazing. Like best restaurant I've ever eaten at great. This time, it was very " off" from that experience. I'd account maybe 20% of the dissatisfaction to personal tastes & preferences, the rest to the quality, presentation, innovation & service just being sub-par. You can feel free to take away from my review a warning, use whatever parts of it make sense for you or ignore completely, its up to you. But arguing about my experience/review doesn't really make much sense.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I know it is easy for me to say but at the point they denied you food, i would have asked to speak the the manager. I would not have paid the bill at V and A without speaking to a manager if my experience was like yours.

We went last year for our 14th wedding anniversary dinner. Sunday my BIL and SIL said they want to go to WDW with us and FIL around that time. FIL said that DH and I should go back for our anniversary. We had no problem booking it ( christmas week so was a little worried) and can't wait to go back.

I didn't see your post before or I would have replied! What happened when I asked for another dish is that my husband was in the bathroom and I did NOT want him knowing I was dissatisfied. This was the ONLY present I wanted and it wasn't his fault for the bad experience so I didn't want him to know about it. It wasn't until later in the dinner that we realized both of us were disappointed and when he got the bill and questioned them about it, he did not get any adjustment. It wasn't until we left that I told him I had asked for another dish. I know I should have, but at the time, I was more concerned for him because he wanted to make me happy (and he did and I still had a wonderful day and evening with him!) This whole trip was a BIG deal and BIG gift for me so I didn't want him thinking I didn't like his gift. Of course, looking back, I should have said something to him sooner. But I did tell the server so that should have been enough. I shouldn't have to tell my husband who then has to tell them to do something - you know?

After many years of fantastic dinners at V&A, we too had a not-so-great experience last week (Thurs). I felt the food was far "off" from what it had been. The amuse buche was terrible- all tuna and very Asian inspired. My gnocchi with mushrooms and truffles was really terrible. Could barely taste the truffle and the mushrooms were overlooked and just terrible tasting. Another dish ( quail) had a thick, heavy BBQ-type sauce that overpowered it and also tasted bad. I ordered the lamb that I always get and the portion was much smaller. It was also covered with a similar thick heavy BBQ type sauce which ruined it. Service from main course on was absolutely terrible. It was as if we were forgotten about.my husband is very easy- going and he agreed it was not up to par but he hates to make a scene so I did not complain. But boy was a disappointed and horrified at a$400 price tag for such a bad meal and so-so service,. We probably won't be back.

I completely agree with you about the amuse buche - two of the items were tuna and not good. The noodle item was good but nothing that wowed me. And that quail dish is exactly what made me drink so much water - it was horrible!!! I LOVE figs and was so excited for this dish but that sauce was nasty. It was after that where I asked for a different entree and I wish I had insisted because the lamb main dish sauce was just as bad.

How interesting that you had such a similar experience, and I think you said it was last Thursday so only the day after we were there (oct 16).

The recent negative reviews are interesting. I can certainly understand being disappointed by a less-than-stellar experience. Expectations are justifiably high when you pay $200 per head. They should be able to impress almost anyone.

For those reporting "bad" food, can you be more specific? Was it not to your taste, was it not prepared to generally-accepted standards, etc.? For example, at first glance, an Asian-inspired amuse bouche sounds wonderful to me. What made it terrible?

I would also be offended if nearby tables clearly received superior service because they were better connected or appeared wealthier. I don't understood snobby/aloof servers at places like this. Waiting tables can make a good living, but it won't make you an oil tycoon. I suppose it's a bit of a sore spot for me. My husband and I are relatively young and admittedly a little nerdy, but we're polite, love good food & wine, and tip 20-25%. We ran into snobby service at Citrico's earlier this year, and we were really taken aback. (They sat us at someone else's table and then unapologetically asked us to move, served us oxidized wine, never re-filled our drinks, and apparently forgot to offer dessert, all while we tried to gracefully roll with the punches. No fun.) I don't know... do the super-wealthy really tip that much better?

I'm headed to V&A's in early December and will keep my expectations in check. Thanks for the reviews.

I didn't feel that the service was snobby, just that other tables were more important - especially the food and wine event. Any time we had additional questions or concerns is when they looked at us like they couldn't believe we had detained them from the next table or their next job. We still tipped them, they certainly serviced us and when I made $2.13/hour, the tips made my livelihood. But I'm honestly not sure how much V&A servers make.

As for specifics on the food, I am posting pictures of our menu below with some food pictures (I didn't get food pics of everything). Here is my take on the food:

Amuse-Bouche: Two tuna items, one noodle item. It all looked, and tasted, very grey (and not the delicious stuff!). The tuna was not a good flavor and the noodles were just 'fine'. The wine pairing was lovely - a sparkling brut.

Petit Poussin: This was a flavorful dish and I loved the unique violet mustard. The second picture is my husband's dish, the Octopus which he enjoyed. The wine pairing for the poussin was good (not my favorite) but the wine pairing for the Octopus was too strong (supposedly it is Enrique Eglesias favorite wine and he bought the vineyard to be able to get it imported to the US or something like that). Notice that the dish 'fell'. As the server sat it down, it fell over. It was a minor thing but these types of mistakes happened our entire meal.

Scallop: It was undercooked and my husband agreed but it tasted fine so he ate it. My husband got the yellowtail snapper which we both thought tasted good, but nothing remarkable. The wine pairings were both ok but we are not fond of most white wines and were disappointed to find a fall menu full of white wine rather than red (with heartier meat dishes too although we LOVE seafood and fish so don't think that is why we were disappointed).

Quail: This was the dish that really bombed. The sauce was way too salty (and I love salt) and it was too meaty and overpowering. My husband had the veal which he could not finish (my meat eating husband!!) because it was also too salty. The wine pairings were red and some of the best of the night.

At this point is when I asked for a different dish for my entree and I wish I had insisted.

Lamb: The sauce is way too overpowering and I seriously started to wonder if they put this same sauce on all the dishes. The sauces were reduced too far and were not light enough to compliment the dishes. The vegetables were undercooked AND overcooked. The lamb itself - well, my husband had one bite and I had none. He said it was bad. He then got his 'face' and I decided it was best not to talk about it in the restaurant. His duck was also not good. I'm asking him now if he could elaborate and he said, "Honestly, the only thing memorable was the bread and butter." At this point, the server asked me how my dish was and I asked if I could have more bread and butter and my husband did the same. They asked if we wanted our meal wrapped to which we said we wouldn't eat it anyway. And that was that:sad2: The wine pairings were too light for the sauce but they tasted good with the bread :rotfl: It was black truffle brioche style bread if you are wondering!

This lamb looks more like something we homebodies would make in a crockpot - the presentation alone was awful!

The duck had better presentation but it also had our pet peeve, which is where you can see where they wipe the plate off if they get sauce on the wrong spot - it always grosses us out because my husband knows that they carry a towel around and goodness knows how many plates or items it has 'cleaned'.

Cheese and white gelato - Finally something they couldn't mess up too bad. Unfortunately, only the parmigiano reggiano and gouda reypenaer were 'wow', the others were not and they did not do a good job pairing the cheeses.

Now we come to dessert where we both had ordered soufflés - chocolate for me, grand marnier for him. My chocolate souffle was fabulous. His Grand Marnier was delicious but less flavorful than mine. We did get the coffee service as well and that was very, very good. The bailey's was delicious too and while I was only sipping it, when they charged us $15 each and wouldn't take it off the bill, I drank it down.

The after dinner chocolates came and we asked for them in a box - they were all subpar - plain, generic, and little flavor.

Now we did get some bread to take home and it said it was made at V&A. I found it very good. So my take on it is the pastry chef (baker) was on target and the chefs and cooks were...not.

Here was the menu for the evening:

Here's the deal. We have eaten here many, many times. On every other visit, every food item & service was amazing. Like best restaurant I've ever eaten at great. This time, it was very " off" from that experience. I'd account maybe 20% of the dissatisfaction to personal tastes & preferences, the rest to the quality, presentation, innovation & service just being sub-par. You can feel free to take away from my review a warning, use whatever parts of it make sense for you or ignore completely, its up to you. But arguing about my experience/review doesn't really make much sense.

So crazy because we had such similar experiences and feelings about this place! We love it and were so disappointed by the most recent dinner there. I hope V&A :listen:

Might I suggest you bring your concerns to the managment of V&A's?

The Manager and Sommelier is Israel Perez.

The address for the Grand Floridian is... 4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

& the direct phone number for V&A's is (407) 824-1893

You won't get any satisfaction or resolve of your complaint if they don't know about it.

After many years of fantastic dinners at V&A, we too had a not-so-great experience last week (Thurs). I felt the food was far "off" from what it had been. The amuse buche was terrible- all tuna and very Asian inspired. My gnocchi with mushrooms and truffles was really terrible. Could barely taste the truffle and the mushrooms were overlooked and just terrible tasting. Another dish ( quail) had a thick, heavy BBQ-type sauce that overpowered it and also tasted bad. I ordered the lamb that I always get and the portion was much smaller. It was also covered with a similar thick heavy BBQ type sauce which ruined it. Service from main course on was absolutely terrible. It was as if we were forgotten about.my husband is very easy- going and he agreed it was not up to par but he hates to make a scene so I did not complain. But boy was a disappointed and horrified at a$400 price tag for such a bad meal and so-so service,. We probably won't be back.

Did you read the rest of my post?!?! Yes, some wasn't to my taste. Other food was just bad. Gnocchi and mushrooms with black truffle sauce. Hardly taste the black truffle, mushrooms over cooked, odd taste, actually bad to the point where I had to rinse out my mouth and stop eating it. Quail, which I don't eat often, but is a delicate light meat, smothered in a thick BBQ type sauce. Sauce was terrible and all wrong for the quail. Lamb dish was much smaller than in years past (2-3 small pieces instead of the usually 5-6 or 7). Again smothered in a thick similar sauce. The sauce tasted terrible and the vegetables were overlooked and bitter. They didn't go with the taste of the sauce at all. Service was so- so ( one good server, one very odd, very aloof guy) until main course then it went dramatically downhill. The cheese and dessert portion of our meal took over an hour simply because they got busy and truly just kept ignoring us. Dessert was good but not as food as it had been. I have eaten at V&A about 8 times. Never have I been there when I didn't enjoy even one of the courses. This time, there was nothing that wowed me and a few courses actually were terrible. Service was pretty poor.

I even ate a few of the dishes as in years past and they were "off" this year or newly invented with sauces and veggies that just didn't make sense. I have never experienced less than good service there either so that was also quite a shock.

Sorry to hear that the meal was not up to your expectations from previous experiences. Did you speak to the manager at any point? Or request replacement dishes for those that were not to your liking?

One last question about the gnocchi - on the menu it is Gnocchi with Wild Mushrooms and White Truffle - were you expecting black truffle? If so, I can see why it didn't taste as you would expect. Black truffles are very strong and offer intense earthiness to a dish - however, white truffles are very subtle and don't have the same *punch* - they were also likely used much more sparingly as they are drastically more expensive.

Ugh, really? If I haven't already been clear, we have been to V&A numerous times and I know my way around a truffle. The night we were there the dish was gnocchi with mushrooms and black truffle- it was off of the vegetarian menu. It was not a misunderstanding about the truffle taste. the truffle taste was non- existent. the mushrooms were overcooked and yucky. The " broth" they were in tasted like dirty water. I have had the exact same dish before and it has been delicious. Again, if you don't agree or care about my opinion, that's fine but questioning ( debating) my experience is pretty silly.

Like I said, no, I did not say anything at the time. Although after every course, when asked if it was good my response was either " it was okay" or " not as good as on previous visits". The waitstaff never responded as I would expect them too and ask further questions. My husband was treating me for our anniversary, he is very laid back and would be mortified if I had said anything. After the meal, he agreed it wasn't nearly as good as it was in years past. But, yes, it is probably a good idea for me to approach Israel and tell him about our disappointment.

Ugh, really? If I haven't already been clear, we have been to V&A numerous times and I know my way around a truffle. The night we were there the dish was gnocchi with mushrooms and black truffle- it was off of the vegetarian menu. It was not a misunderstanding about the truffle taste. the truffle taste was non- existent. the mushrooms were overcooked and yucky. The " broth" they were in tasted like dirty water. I have had the exact same dish before and it has been delicious. Again, if you don't agree or care about my opinion, that's fine but questioning ( debating) my experience is pretty silly.

Like I said, no, I did not say anything at the time. Although after every course, when asked if it was good my response was either " it was okay" or " not as good as on previous visits". The waitstaff never responded as I would expect them too and ask further questions. My husband was treating me for our anniversary, he is very laid back and would be mortified if I had said anything. After the meal, he agreed it wasn't nearly as good as it was in years past. But, yes, it is probably a good idea for me to approach Israel and tell him about our disappointment.

Maybe people would take you more seriously if you weren't rude or confrontational in every reply. It was a simple question based on a menu with the exact same item (save the truffle difference). You also seem very intent of waving around your *badge* of experience. We get it - you have been there 8 times. You don't need to say it every post. I am taking your review seriously and said I was sorry it didn't live up to previous experiences. I simply asked a QUESTION about the gnocchi dish - not everyone has been so lucky to be that intimately experienced in truffle tasting :rolleyes2

Regardless of anniversary or just plain old dinner - if you have issues as egregious as you state then you should have pointed it out during the meal. There is very little that Israel can do now to fix the situation and very little that can be done. To be honest, a complaint days and weeks after the fact isn't really helpful to a restaurant. How can they fix something that was wrong a week ago? Could it have been an off night? Sure. Could it be a real decline in the overall experience at V&A? Possibly.

I wasn't making little of your review, until you decided to be rude in response to what was a genuine question. You seem very intent on being confrontational.

You won't get any satisfaction or resolve of your complaint if they don't know about it.

Um, right here?:confused3

And, Tinkerbelle 325, if you don't want to take me seriously, that's fine. I am not defending the security of the US, here, I am sharing my opinions on a restaurant. LOL. What I think is really rude is implying that I am somehow ignorant or at fault in my poor restaurant experience. And, you didn't " ask a question", you basically said I didn't know what I was eating. Rude.

Take the review or leave it, all is good.

Um, right here?:confused3

And, Tinkerbelle 325, if you don't want to take me seriously, that's fine. I am not defending the security of the US, here, I am sharing my opinions on a restaurant. LOL. What I think is really rude is implying that I am somehow ignorant or at fault in my poor restaurant experience.

Take the review or leave it, all is good.

I was not implying you were ignorant - I asked a question. Apparently you are either hyper sensitive or you have forgotten this is a message forum where ALL opinions are shared. I will say for the THIRD time that I have not once said your complaints were invalid. You, however, seem very content to impress upon everyone your multiple visits to V&A - so I'll gladly say I feel that is arrogant - at least to mention it in every single post.

It was not said out of arrogance at all. My point n mentioning it was because I have many other visits to compare it to. I think that is an important point of reference, don't you?

It was not said out of arrogance at all. My point n mentioning it was because I have many other visits to compare it to. I think that is an important point of reference, don't you?

To mention once, sure. But when others, such as myself, asked questions for CLARIFICATION (not to belittle your review in any way), you felt the need to re-emphasize that fact over and over. I understand being frustrated by some comments that seem to say "but V&A can never be bad" but that is not what I was saying. I simply wanted some clarification and shared by sympathies for having a less than stellar experience. You BEGAN your reply to me with an exasperated tone and descended into downright rudeness. I did nothing to affront you. But I will say that my correspondence to you went from prickly to rude in response to the tone I was met with.

You were rude and were among those with "a V&A can do no wrong, must be you" tone. You Implied my bad experience was due to my ignorance. If you want to believe you were innocent in this exchange, that's cool. Whatever gets you through the day. Multiple visits to V&A was an important reference point for my review. If I talked about a fancy car or size of a house, then that would have been arrogance and irrelevant.

You were rude and were among those with "a V&A can do no wrong, must be you" tone. You Implied my bad experience was due to my ignorance. If you want to believe you were innocent in this exchange, that's cool. Whatever gets you through the day. Multiple visits to V&A was an important reference point for my review. If I talked about a fancy car or size of a house, then that would have been arrogance and irrelevant.

Well I'm down the rabbit hole now lol. What exactly is the point of a negative review after the fact unless you voiced your concerns at the restaurant?

And I am fully aware that V&A can do wrong. I haven't dined there in 2 years because our last meal was not satisfactory. However, I didn't write a scathing review on a thread that is about FAQ.

My goodness, you are like the energizer bunny! :rolleyes2

What is the purpose of ANY review? To provide info. that might be useful to others, right? If I saw multiple less than stellar reviews from people who had experienced the restaurant or hotel in the past, it might make me re-think going there or might set my expectations differently or might influence what I order. Or I might ignore the review as not relevant to me.

If I was looking for restitution and didn't care about ruining a lovely, romantic evening, I would have vocally complained. Frankly, if I were a server at a restaurant like this and someone said a course "was okay", I would have asked some questions. That just shows how passive the service was. I will chalk mine up to a learning experience and probably not go again. No harm, no foul.

Tinkerbellie16 I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience. We ate there on September 30 and both of us had many of the same dishes that you and your husband ate. Perhaps it was that they had the F&W dinner, or perhaps my partner and I have different tastes, but we absolutely loved the Asian inspired amuse bouche. The Poussin and the Octopus, and I'm not gloating, but the Maine Diver Scallop was cooked to perfection for my taste (I also like my meat still mooing). I also enjoyed the lamb, and had a great Grand Mariner Souffle, the flavor was delicate and subtle.

I had not been to V&A's in over three years and reading some of the comments on this thread helped me to decide to add it into our trip this Fall. We had an amazing experience there and it was everything I expected it to be from the service to the food. We also had an 8:45 reservation on a Monday night and practically had the place to ourselves. There weren't very many other people in the restaurant so perhaps that helped too.

I completely understand that restaurants can have an off night, and I don't want to discount that some people did not have the meals that they wanted when they dined there. I just wanted to say that our meal was fantastic. Now I can't claim that I am an expert at cuisine. I enjoy fine dining, but I also love some good Fish & Chips, a juicy burger and even a good corn dog. But for us, it was a nice romantic night with some great food, and we left feeling very pleased. I'm sorry for those who had different experiences and needed to get food at a QS because what was served at V&A's was that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter