The Empty Nesters Magical Mystery Tour *1/28* Link to New Girl's TR p141

Thanks for all the great pictures of Flower and Garden! :thumbsup2 Getting me really excited for our May trip (well, except for the heat, I guess). We've never been during F&G and it will be so fun to see all that beauty in person. And Izzy will love the playgrounds, I'm sure.

That is a really unmagical castle! No water and tons of cranes - yikes! :eek:

Isn't it nice to walk through EPCOT first thing in the morning and see World Showcase "quiet" You both had quite a stroll.

:rotfl2: for SOAT

Poly went on sale Monday- the PPP is high and the point for those bungalows are :scared1:

Oh yes the castle looks so sad but your pictures of the mosaics are amazing.

Lovely pictures from the F&G festival. I understand how hard it is to tear yourself away from Epcot when all the gardens and flowers are out on display.

And I have to say, the idea of visiting the festival when it's not a million degrees out sounds appealing.

That was a lot of cranes you had to see on the way and into the MK! Definitely a busy construction time. I'm starting to think that's how it's going to look in February in all the parks with all the returns going on.

Great Updates Mary Ellen!! I loved the Butterflies at the F & G fest. Also those glass flowers were beautiful, I loved them. Where exactly is the Tamgled bATHROOM ????

Loving all the pictures. It looks much more empty than when I was there. I believe you were there just a few weeks before me.

How exciting you get to meet up with Kathy!

I loved your pics and how nice that you were the for the start of F&G. I was happy to rush through on the last day this year but it so much more fun when you can take the time to stroll around.

Sadly it isn't in my plans for the next couple of years. I had hoped for a quick trip in March but with my dad falling and getting really banged up last week, still waiting to see if he'll need surgery, my mom won't be going to visit my aunt.

Beautiful pictures of the F & G :) I love those glass flowers. I had thought for sure they were plastic because of the weather. And Cynthia said they're available to buy? I have missed out seeing them. Probably a good thing, how on earth would I get them home?

Boo on all the cranes and the moat. Everything was boarded up in December and that was unpleasant.

Holy Smokedogs, another LONG and picture-filled update! I've only gotten to go to F&G once, but it was so, SO beautiful and sense-filled. The butterflies were also a favorite with everyone.

I update so infrequently (or so it feels) that I have to post MANY pictures! F&G is such a wonderful time of year and I really enjoyed being there when it first opened. It's such a great way to welcome in spring.

I remember standing in the castle taking a gazillion photos of the mosaic as well. It's a fun place to find endless detail.

Totally! I love seeing all the detail. It's so cool!

I hear that the Tangled bathrooms are quite something to behold. Guess I'll put that on the list as a must-see attraction. :rotfl:

There is a lot of hype with the Tangled bathrooms. They are really cool. That was my first time really visiting the bathrooms.

I"m guessing the Poly Villas will be done when I get there, so those will have to be on my list as well. :)

I am thrilled there are 360 studios. I am SO there. Poly is one of the few resorts I have no stayed at yet. Can't wait! :banana:

Mary Ellen, beautiful pictures of all the topiaries and all of the flowers. I keep saying Flower & Garden is my favorite time to go; then we fall in love with Food & Wine; and we love the Christmas decorations and Osborne Lights. I think I should just live there and then they can all be my favorites all of the time. :lmao::lmao:

I hear ya sister. If we lived there we could enjoy all year round. I love the weather of F&W, but I didn't like some of the changes we made this year. So right now I have to say that F&G is pulling into the lead, probably because the topiaries are so cool.

Great pictures of the butterfly garden and that one certainly does look like It's Tough to be a Bug!

Doesn't it? I didn't even know that was a real butterfly on ITTBAB. I learned it that day. It is a cool butterfly.

I have seen some pictures of the Polynesian Villas...they look really pretty. I've also seen the cost. :eek: Maybe in my second lifetime.

OMG - the cost is exorbitant. I would not want to be buying into DVC these days. It's just pricing itself out of the ballpark for a lot of people.

Great balloon picture as always.

Thanks! I love those balloons! :thumbsup2

Weren't the cranes just awful at that time? And no water in the moats. It was so depressing (kind of like all the walls at the Animal Kingdom in September).

Ugh - they were so ugly and I totally did not expect that. I guess I should have known, but I had no idea it was such a mess until we got there. Totally depressing.

I love your pictures as you walk through the castle of the tiles...very pretty.

Those tiles are beautiful. I'm glad the crowds were low enough that I was able to get some good pictures of them.

We rarely do Peter Pan unless it's first thing in the morning. And I agree...it is very hard to get pictures in there.

Almost impossible, if you ask me. :rotfl2:

Love the Tangled bathroom area...so very pretty.

They are very cool. Definitely original.

We do? Are you sure? I look forward to the next update.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: We definitely DO. No more stalling. I promise!!!!! :flower3:

We were in WDW the third week of March and really enjoyed the Flower & Garden Show. I thought the children's play area was wonderful and something they should leave up year round. Kids need an area to play.

I totally agree with that. It would be awesome if they did leave it up for the kids. I guess it would be more work to maintain, but its super cute and perfect for the little ones.

I hope you are able to get your BWV for August. We took our kids in August once. Our son was in college at that point and I knew it would be the last time that just the five of us would be together in Disney. All trips after that either had just our daughters or included significant others and extended family. Eventually it became "everyone pays for their own trip". ;) So, yes, the August trip was memorable, It was also very hot and rainy.

We used to do August a lot when they were little and before pre-season soccer. I've had some great weather trips in August and others that were awful. It's been awhile.

I was able to get BWV pool & garden. No chance of standard view. The BCV were available up until the day of booking. But, honestly, in some ways I like BWV better because I LOVE the quiet pool by the inn. It's the perfect little oasis of relaxation, especially in the summer heat.

Wow, someday I really, really need to get to Epcot for the F&G festival, I love your pictures of it all! Especially the butterflies, so sweet!
And I think it's pretty cool that you were first to have your passport stamped!
So much construction! That is a giant crane.
MK with the water drained is about the saddest thing I've ever seen...
Excited to read about your DISmeet!

All caught up!

I think you look great in all your pictures! You actually look happy, despite you not feeling well.

Oh WOW the black swan pictures are amazing! So beautiful

I still haven't seen the American Adventure :blush: I even offered up to watch DS while he was in the stroller so DH and DM could watch it, but they didn't seem interested.

Great idea about pouring the rest of your 'rita in to the mug! You're awesome :thumbsup2

Dare I say, the tequila may have made your Illumanitions pictures turn out fantastic?!

Would it be strange to have my brother, who owns his own landscaping company, to make my front yard have Bambi topiaries like the ones seen at the F&G festival? :hyper:

Who are those ladies you got a picture of?

Oh my GOSH you should see the terrible, ugly pictures I have of MK when we went a few weeks ago. It's WAY more unmagical than your photos :worried:

Beautiful pictures! I've only seen the tail-end of the Flower and Garden festival, and it was still gorgeous.

Thanks!

F&G is really beautiful. I think its a great festival and I love how they have added the food and beverage kiosks. Smart marketing!

Your pictures have me eager for Flower and Garden to begin. I love that time of year :)

And the best part is you can go whenever you want! :thumbsup2 Lucky! :woohoo:

YAY for the girls trip, it will be lovely to read about spring again. I'm excited to have a TR that will be back in the WDW forum, DL just doesn't get the same activity level.

I've noticed that. That's why I like to keep all my TR's here if I can, but I understand why the DL ones have to go there. Just not enough foot traffic.

BOO for August trips though. Mixed blessing. Great that both want to work, just boo for August. Good luck on the standard view.

Well - Brian has to get an internship ship. There is not choice. He will graduate in December and would ideally like to get one for summer and a part time one while he finishes his last 12 credits in the fall. So August it is. We used to do August when they were younger. It's been YEARS.

We ended up booking garden/pool view. That's all there was and if I have to borrow points (I think 5) I figure why bother even waitlisting the standard. It made the choice for me.

I loved those flowers, can't believe how expensive they are though! It WAS a gazilion degrees in there in May.

Very expensive!

I STILL have not done this! Must fix in Feb. Must!

It's fun. I definitely don't do it ever trip, but it is fun if there is no line.

Perfect retirement plan I think!

I totally agree!

So pretty but it is really still just a bathroom. Sigh.

:rotfl2: Why, yes it is and I think a lot of people forget that. :rotfl2:

YAY for KatMark!

Coming soon!

So on the splurge topic.....

Food and Wine
Wine and Dine half
Poly Studio?

food for thought :goodvibes

You know I love this idea and I can't quite get it out of my head. I hate to commit on the 1/2 until I see how this one goes, but I have always wanted to do a night race and I am dying to stay at the Poly!

Veteran move. :thumbsup2

Also - frugal move! Those flights always tend to be significantly cheaper. Win Win in my book. I always suffer the first day back to work, but hey!

It's not even enjoyable when you're leaving to go on vacation.

But its MUCH more organized when you're packing to depart. My suitcase looks like a disaster at the end of the trip. :rotfl2:

I wish they'd keep those flowers around all year. It looks amazing.

I totally agree. It would be nice to have a little bit of F&G all year long.

Denny's feeling a little sadistic, I guess.

Clearly he was but I had no idea he put like 5 flips in that ride until the CM told me. And by then I was all buckled in and ready to go. :faint:

:sad1: It does hurt the view, doesn't it?

Ugh - it was the ugliest and most unmagical I have ever seen the park look.

:thumbsup2

Nice photos there too!

Thanks. They aren't all that great, but at least I got something more than just...black and blur! ::yes::

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Oh - there WILL be pictures!

Yes, good call getting a picture in Canada Mary Ellen. Very good choice. :thumbsup2

I love that little photo-op and that is one of the advantages to staying at an Epcot resort - you can stop there on the way in and grab a fun photo in a GREAT country!

Flower and Garden is so impressive. I haven't seen it for a few years now and I really miss it. And really, who says Florida doesn't have seasons? Flower and Garden, Food and Wine, Christmas, etc. There are loads of seasons. :goodvibes

:rotfl2: You got that right. There is warm, warmer, hot, and hottest! ;)

Oh wow, that is a lot of cranes. And drained waterways. This would not be a great time for a first Disney trip, that's for sure.

I guess if it was your first trip you probably don't even recognize how BAD it looks, but it looked REALLY bad and was very disappointing.

How neat that you were there for the official opening of the Flower & Garden Festival. I love love love how colorful and bright everything is during the festival and wish that they would extend it by a week or more so that we could see it again.

It was really cool to walk into Epcot the first day of F&G. Such a bonus. I actually didn't think it started until after we left, so SCORE!

Thanks for all the great pictures of Flower and Garden! :thumbsup2 Getting me really excited for our May trip (well, except for the heat, I guess). We've never been during F&G and it will be so fun to see all that beauty in person. And Izzy will love the playgrounds, I'm sure.

So glad you enjoyed the pictures. You are going to LOVE F&G. It is really so festive. Something to look at around every turn. Izzy is totally going to love the playgrounds. They are so creative.

That is a really unmagical castle! No water and tons of cranes - yikes! :eek:

Ugh - the castle looked terrible. I was shocked at how bad it looked. I just had to walk away and not think about it. :crazy2:

Isn't it nice to walk through EPCOT first thing in the morning and see World Showcase "quiet" You both had quite a stroll.

I totally love it. That is one of the many reasons I love staying at the Epcot resorts. Leaving a crowded world showcase AFTER Illuminations is one of the other reasons. :roll eyes:

Oh brother. THAT was a wakeup call. Denny won't be designing any future SOAT rides - That's for sure!

Poly went on sale Monday- the PPP is high and the point for those bungalows are :scared1:

DVC is really changing. First of all - the price is exorbitant. Secondly - no 1 BR's. Lastly - 2BR's that no one can afford. I am very glad I got in with DVC when I did. I would never buy in now. I am a little disenchanted, especially since I couldn't get my own home resort at VGF at 11 months. Boo!

Oh yes the castle looks so sad but your pictures of the mosaics are amazing.

Thanks! :good vibes

Lovely pictures from the F&G festival. I understand how hard it is to tear yourself away from Epcot when all the gardens and flowers are out on display.

Thank you and, yes, it was really hard to leave. If it wasn't for a meet with Katmark there is NO WAY I would have left. It was just too magical in Epcot that day!

And I have to say, the idea of visiting the festival when it's not a million degrees out sounds appealing.

I would definitely go again in March. It's perfect. I may plan a March 2016 trip.

That was a lot of cranes you had to see on the way and into the MK! Definitely a busy construction time. I'm starting to think that's how it's going to look in February in all the parks with all the returns going on.

Ugh - I hope I don't see all the mess again this February. I don't even want to think about it. Depressing, for sure!

Great Updates Mary Ellen!! I loved the Butterflies at the F & G fest. Also those glass flowers were beautiful, I loved them. Where exactly is the Tamgled bATHROOM ????

Thanks Rosie! Glad to see you back here.

The butterflies were so cool. They loved the cool weather and the glass flowers were beautiful.

The Tangled BR is in a little alcove to the right of HM and to the left of IASW. Can't miss it. The area is so pretty and catches your eye right away.

Loving all the pictures. It looks much more empty than when I was there. I believe you were there just a few weeks before me.

The crowds were pretty low and we really liked that. Low crowds and cool weather - double score! I think we were there about 2 weeks before you.

How exciting you get to meet up with Kathy!

Kathy AND Mark! :cool1: Coming up!

I loved your pics and how nice that you were the for the start of F&G. I was happy to rush through on the last day this year but it so much more fun when you can take the time to stroll around.

It was lovely just strolling around there on the first day. A really magical experience and I'm glad we for the opportunity to be there then.

Sadly it isn't in my plans for the next couple of years. I had hoped for a quick trip in March but with my dad falling and getting really banged up last week, still waiting to see if he'll need surgery, my mom won't be going to visit my aunt.

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Did he break a hip? I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery! :hug:

Beautiful pictures of the F & G :) I love those glass flowers. I had thought for sure they were plastic because of the weather. And Cynthia said they're available to buy? I have missed out seeing them. Probably a good thing, how on earth would I get them home?

Thanks!

I heard they were for sale as well, but apparently quite expensive. I am sure they probably pack them up really well, but I would not want to take on on a plane either. I took a bamboo flower home from F&G once and it was a true balancing act getting it on the plane. One of the flight attendants stored it for me.

Boo on all the cranes and the moat. Everything was boarded up in December and that was unpleasant.

Were you just there in December??? I am really out of the loop when it comes to your trips. I need a Pam TR! :worship::worship::worship: I miss your adventures.

Wow, someday I really, really need to get to Epcot for the F&G festival, I love your pictures of it all! Especially the butterflies, so sweet!

F&G is a really cool time to visit. I have to recommend it. It's a great way to combat the winter funk and its just super festive. Lots of eye candy. The butterfly hut is really amazing as are all the topiaries.

And I think it's pretty cool that you were first to have your passport stamped!

I think so too, eve though I could never prove it! ;)

So much construction! That is a giant crane.

Ugh - those cranes. EVERYWHERE! :faint:

MK with the water drained is about the saddest thing I've ever seen...

Well said. It was VERY sad and I didn't expect that, which made it doubly bad.

Excited to read about your DISmeet!

Coming up soon!

Once again, fantastic update!!!

I love that you are walking through EPCOT without all the crowds. You got some terrific pictures.

Wow! Those topiaries are amazing. Love the ones of the Baby bambi characters.

The butterfly garden looks "cool". Butterflies are so fun to watch. The picture you have of the butterfly on the butterfly sign is neat. One of my big photo regrets is missing the shot as a parrotfish swam over a parrotfish marker at Trunk Bay in St. John. But I'm over it now. NOT!

The picture of you in the Canada cutout is nice. Dontcha hate that you have to plan out and request photos of yourself since you are the one behind the camera all the time???

Woo-hoo for Sum of All Thrills! With no wait!!!

Thanks again for having the eye to capture the special details that I always miss. The picture you have from the backside of the castle is a great perspective.

And the closeups on the mosaic murals. On my last solo trip I was able to take pictures of the Cinderella mosaics inside the castle, but I did the whole scenes. Beautiful one with the stepsisters/mother and the one with cat with the sour expression on his face. :rotfl2:

Beautiful!!!

:goodvibes

Mary Ellen - Hello! I am trying the Saturday Dis catch up. I truly get you changing your dates to August. The internship thing does get in the way. We are taking the boys and Connor's GF May 16 - 21 and good thing as Connor's GF intership starts June 2.

Your flower and garden pictures are wonderful. You really captured the butterfly house. We were there Easter week and I really enjoyed the glass flowers and the orange glass butterflies. So nice you took a casual stroll through Epcot, this is such a nice walk early morning into Epcot when the park is sparse of visitors.

And always enjoy your balloon pictures :)

Rebecca

All caught up!

Yay! :thumbsup2 Welcome Back! I'm so excited to read about your latest adventure!

I think you look great in all your pictures! You actually look happy, despite you not feeling well.

Aww thanks! :goodvibes

Oh WOW the black swan pictures are amazing! So beautiful

The black swans were so cool. I really enjoyed taking the time to photograph and watch them!

I still haven't seen the American Adventure :blush: I even offered up to watch DS while he was in the stroller so DH and DM could watch it, but they didn't seem interested.

Really? It's a great show for a couple reasons - you can't help but feel patriotic when you walk out of there an the animatronics are really cool. Definitely see it the next time you are there. Oh yeah - one more reason - if you are tired its a great place for a nap. :rotfl2:

Great idea about pouring the rest of your 'rita in to the mug! You're awesome :thumbsup2

Nothing like thinking outside of the box....or the glass! :rotfl:

Dare I say, the tequila may have made your Illumanitions pictures turn out fantastic?!

:confused3 I'm not sure if that was the reason, but I did really enjoy watching illuminations from a new location. It was really nice back there.

Would it be strange to have my brother, who owns his own landscaping company, to make my front yard have Bambi topiaries like the ones seen at the F&G festival? :hyper:

Not strange at all. Super cool intact! ::yes::

Who are those ladies you got a picture of?

I am sure they have a name, but I don't know what it is. Flower & Garden ladies maybe? :rotfl2: I googled it but didn't come up with anything. I've seen them there before. They are really fun and colorful.

Oh my GOSH you should see the terrible, ugly pictures I have of MK when we went a few weeks ago. It's WAY more unmagical than your photos :worried:

Really? REALLY? Are the really tearing up the hub? Do tell? I want to know what to expect for February.

Once again, fantastic update!!!

Thank you! :good vibes

I love that you are walking through EPCOT without all the crowds. You got some terrific pictures.

It was so lovely having all that "non-obstructed" time in Epcot. Loved it!

Wow! Those topiaries are amazing. Love the ones of the Baby bambi characters.

They really are so amazing. The people who create them are so talented. They really had some beautiful topiaries last year.

The butterfly garden looks "cool". Butterflies are so fun to watch. The picture you have of the butterfly on the butterfly sign is neat. One of my big photo regrets is missing the shot as a parrotfish swam over a parrotfish marker at Trunk Bay in St. John. But I'm over it now. NOT!

:rotfl2: You are clearly NOT over it. It stinks to miss that "perfect" shot. I hate that. It was nice to capture all those butterflies being relatively dormant.

The picture of you in the Canada cutout is nice. Dontcha hate that you have to plan out and request photos of yourself since you are the one behind the camera all the time???

Thanks! And, yes, I always have to plan out a few pics. I take the worse selfies, so that doesn't work at all! :rotfl2:

Woo-hoo for Sum of All Thrills! With no wait!!!

That's the only way I'll hit SOAT. It's a fun attraction, but I won't wait for it. ::yes::

Thanks again for having the eye to capture the special details that I always miss. The picture you have from the backside of the castle is a great perspective.

Thanks for the compliment. I love taking pictures because I am bad at noticing details in the moment. My pictures help me go back and look at those details.

And the closeups on the mosaic murals. On my last solo trip I was able to take pictures of the Cinderella mosaics inside the castle, but I did the whole scenes. Beautiful one with the stepsisters/mother and the one with cat with the sour expression on his face. :rotfl2:

I love the mosaics. It was nice to see them without tons of people hanging around. I had to take advantage of that.

Beautiful!!!

:goodvibes

Thanks! It's always fun to see the signs of transitioning into spring, especially in Florida because I tend to forget they actually have seasons there.

Mary Ellen - Hello! I am trying the Saturday Dis catch up.

I did the same thing yesterday! :thumbsup2

I truly get you changing your dates to August. The internship thing does get in the way. We are taking the boys and Connor's GF May 16 - 21 and good thing as Connor's GF intership starts June 2.

You are lucky that you can go that early. I would totally go then if we could. Plus, the DVC ticket special was still could for those dates. So boo! Brian is done for the year around the 16th, but good old UD goes on another week or more. :faint: Oh well - the end of August will be fine. I changed the reservation this week.

Your flower and garden pictures are wonderful. You really captured the butterfly house. We were there Easter week and I really enjoyed the glass flowers and the orange glass butterflies. So nice you took a casual stroll through Epcot, this is such a nice walk early morning into Epcot when the park is sparse of visitors.

I LOVE coming in through the IG in the morning. It's so calming. It's just a great way to see the park. So glad you enjoyed the pictures.

And always enjoy your balloon pictures :)

Rebecca

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Double DIS meet and THE END! FINALLY!

I know you were only expecting to read about one DIS meet this update, but I have a surprise for you.

We actually had a Delaware DIS meet on Tuesday night. It came up really suddenly and was expertly coordinated by none other than Captain Oblivious. In attendance was the whole Oblivious family including Mrs Knowitall and the newest member to the clan, baby Drew. Glennbo and his DW Judy were also in attendance. We will count him as an honorary Delawarean since he works here, but lives in an adjacent state. Close enough.

So why a Delaware DIS meet on a Tuesday night in the middle of January? Well, to honor none other than Jedi Jill who was visiting Philadelphia on business. When Mark contacted me about the meet there was no way I was going to miss it. And here is proof.

It was really fun to meet Jill. We had a lovely evening and she gifted us chocolate covered marshmallows, straight from her home state of Colorado. I am saving mine for an extreme chocolate craving, but I bet the Oblivious kids (including Mark) have eaten theirs.

In other news, our summer vacation has officially been changed to 6 nights starting mid August. I was not able to get standard view at the BWV, so I splurged and went with pool/garden view. I only booked 6 nights because I think we may head to the beach for a couple nights before heading home. It just occurred to me today that I have to cancel some ADRs and, more importantly, change my ticker.

Now here’s some interesting December trip news. I really, really, REALLY wanted to stay at VGF for 4 nights in early December before our cruise. Remember - I have a small VGF contract and yet there was nothing, NADA, ZIP available at 11 months out. Made me sad because its obvious that I am going to have some limitations using those very expensive points. So Boo to that. I booked VWL, which is the best resort for Christmas IMHO. But still….

So on to my update.

I left off here:

We had finished riding Peter Pan and were now heading to BTMMR. I’m pretty sure we must have had a Space FP+, but since we lingered so long in Epcot we never made it to MK in time to use it.

Splash was still down for its winter refurb. Sheesh - was there water anywhere in the MK today?

Dry as a bone

We must have gone into the cute little shop near Splash because my next picture is of the lights in there.

Obsessed with lights? Perhaps!

Time to ride

For whatever reason I did not take pictures on the ride because my next picture was taken after we got off.

I think we were just killing time until our lunch date with KatMark.

I can’t remember for the life of me where I took this picture. I’m positive we didn’t go over to Tom Sawyer’s Island, so maybe this was in the loading area.

This evidence of a refurb caught my eye

We started walking back toward the CHH, our lunch destination.

I have NO idea why I took this picture of Chip photobombing this senior citizen. Perhaps I was just going for Chip.

Perhaps my hunger was starting to make me delirious.

Even though I was trying to kill time before lunch, we kept getting closer and closer to CHH.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter