The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

I'm exhausted just reading this.

I was exhausted just remembering it!

Way to go Super Mom!

::yes::

:yay:you made it. I love that Sarah is taking a picture while on the ride. A TRUE DISer!

She may be one someday!

Oh...boo. That is sad.

Thank you for feeling my pain.

Good girl, Sarah. Get the picture the first time and enjoy it the second time. I LOVE Scotty's face. :)

I tried to get photos of them raising their hands in the air when I was sitting behind them and nobody would do it!

Like an excuse is needed, but that's a good one.

I knew I wouldn't have to justify it here.

More great pictures.

Looks like a fun ride and great photos, Mark.

:thanks:

This does NOT sound like fun at all. And the poor kids can't see as well. :(

It was really brutal. The show is good, but I don't know that I'd want to experience that again.

Unfortunately, these days you find that everywhere. And now add the "selfie stick".

You have my permission to punch me in the face if you ever see me using a selfie stick.

Nice one Julie!

Yep, she's a keeper.

Since you missed Indy, I'm glad you got this one. And bless David...he was exhausted.

I would have really been ashamed if we hadn't ridden either of the rides that aren't in WDW. It was worth it for that. Poor Dave. He really hit the wall.

For only one day, you really got a lot done and the kids were awesome hanging with you and keeping up. You should be very proud.

Believe me, I am!

And look at Drew...sound asleep. I hope this is the case when you get to the room.

Well, if I were a betting man...

Anyway, I thought you guys would like his little Mickey outfit.

The only brightside I can say about missing out on Indy, is that there may have been a huge possibility it was down at the time of your FP. Indy is known to break down all the time.

I'm going to go ahead and just pretend it was broken down at the time. That makes me feel better about it.

I just love seeing all the neon lights come on and hearing Sh-Boom :cloud9:

That was pretty cool!

Oh my gosh, I aboslutely hate DLR nighttime show seating! WoC is my favorite show, but the 'seating' is TERRIBLE! I hope they can figure out something one day to deal with that.

Yeah, I understand space is at a premium in the parks, but holy cow that was terrible. There has to be a better way.

You guys are troopers to head back to Disneyland after WoC :worship: And the kids did fantastic for being at the parks for over 12 hours! What you guys did is considered the 'Dumbo-or-Die-in-a-Day' Plan:faint:

Pretty much! When you only have one day, you max it out!

I'm sure it was a huge disappointment to miss Indy, but wow you really packed a lot into your 15+ hour day. Way to go! I just love how you can easily move from park to park. It is a special place, hoping that I can get back to the West coast someday.

That was maybe the best part, having 2 parks you could walk to. Totally foreign concept to a WDW vet like me.

WOC is awesome, the crowds are horrible, but getting a room that overlooks the park is so expensive. My "once in a lifetime trip to DL" we stayed at GC, the problem now is that I will always want to stay at GC if we go back! We had a huge room upgrade to park view, my non disney loving husband did not get how excited I was when I walked out onto the balcony:cheer2:!

Sounds amazing! I would have loved to stay there, but we were stretching the budget past its breaking point as it was.

It pretty much fits all the parades, right?

Gotta love that Imagineering! Maybe they knew you were coming via the National Park route and had it made just for you. pixiedust:

I'm going to go ahead and say that was definitely the case.:thumbsup2

Um, pretty fast. I ran through DHS in August at a fast jog and nobody said a word. ::yes:: (Had to get to our Frozen sing-along).

I guess now we know!

Aw, that's too bad! :sad1: Just ride Dinosaur with your eyes closed and imagine Indy. As you said, gives you another reason to return someday. You know, on your way to Hawaii or something. :goodvibes

Sure, while we're dreaming. Where do you keep finding those amazing air fares, anyway? And how come they're never out of Philadelphia?

That is pretty awesome. Glad they had a great day. And I really want to ride that! :hyper:

I'm sure you would love it!

Sounds really uncomfortable. Glad the show was enjoyable, though.

It was, I'm just not sure I would put myself through that again to see it.

Yep, been there. Stake out a great view of something ahead of time, then at the last minute you have a view of kids' backs. :sad2:

Sometimes I really hate other people.

Raising them right! :thumbsup2

We're trying!

Good info. Alison. Thanks!

:thumbsup2

Only in the chapters where I have expertise. Parenting and diapers, I know nothing about!

Neither do we! We're just good at faking it.:thumbsup2

We had another set of Radiator Springs Racers FastPasses in our possession. On our way out from California Adventure earlier in the day, I had noticed that the FP machines were still churning out tickets for late in the day. My understanding was that if FP’s were still available, the rule of thumb was to grab them, no matter what time it showed. In this case, the return time posted was 5:50 – 6:50 p.m. We had a 5:20 dinner reservation, but we still thought that return time was do-able. After all, the parks are so close! And it didn’t take much convincing for the kids to agree to another spin on RSR.

So, keep that bit of info in mind as we continue.

:scared1: Ambitious.

The whole feel of Pirates is completely different than the WDW version. The Disneyland ride eases you into things with a trip around a Louisiana bayou, a great extension of the New Orleans Square theme. We float along, slightly jealous of those customers eating at the Blue Bayou restaurant across the way, to the sound of crickets and soft banjo plucking. It takes a couple of minutes before you leave the bayou and hit not one, but two drops (my kids thought it was fantastic, having an extra drop) and then enter the familiar pirates world we all remember. It’s a much longer, much more immersive experience that blows away its WDW counterpart.

If memory serves, she even made a crack about me being too demanding while we were taking our photos. I probably deserved it.

:rotfl2: Great pictures.

Once that’s done, the kids move away and we ask Alison to join us, since we kind of don’t have any photo record of our visit with her yet. Better late than never!

Another fabulous Picture.

We wander over to the Matterhorn, and it’s a 50-minute standby wait. No thanks. Julie and I are starting to worry we’re not going to get a ride in on that one

Oh No!!!

I’m doing the mental math and wondering if we really have time to ride the monorail, then ride Space Mountain, and still make it in time for dinner. I figure we’ll probably be ok if we can get on with the next group that loads. So we wait.

Crossing fingers.

We get cut off just short of being able to get on board. We’re forced to wait for the next train. Now it’s decision time. It could be another 10-15 minutes for the next monorail to come by. Figure the monorail takes 20 minutes or so to make a full loop. Another 10 minutes or so to walk to Space Mountain. 10-15 minutes in the FastPass line. 5 minutes to ride. Do it all over again with the child swap. Then 15-20 minutes’ walk to dinner.

:scared1::eek::faint:

Even better: all of the kids loved it. We’re blossoming into coaster junkies!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Another ride conquered, we wait a bit for Julie to show up with Baby Drew. When we do find her, she informs us that the monorail wasn’t air-conditioned, and it was packed with people, so the ride wasn’t necessarily as relaxing and enjoyable as she thought it would be. This is professional-level guilt tripping, and it’s working like a charm. But she also says we never would have made it to dinner on time if we’d ridden it, so I’m feeling better about the decision to bail.

Sorry the monorail wasn't the bomb. I have only done it out to DTD. I liked the different seating configuation.

Julie heads on with the kids to dinner while I make a detour to do an Indiana Jones FP run. I figure this is my only shot to get FP’s for the evening. So I head over to the machines and grab my FP’s. Return time: 6:15 – 7:15 p.m

Great Job. Hope you can use it. :rolleyes1

Somehow, we have to walk all the way back to Cars Land, ride RSR, and then walk all the way back to DL so we can ride Indiana Jones. Then we would head back to California Adventure for the World of Color show, and we still haven’t ridden the Matterhorn. Also, we’ve been up since 6:00 a.m., we’re hot, our legs are tired…

They're not going to make it , they're not going it make it !!!!!!!

I find a little picnic area overlooking the ride. They have a display set up to look like a National Park viewpoint, which amuses me to no end. Another A+ for Imagineering. I have no idea how much time and energy they spent putting all of this detail on one sign, or even how many visitors actually notice it, but details like these are exactly why we love Disney parks.

You made it and :thumbsup2 I love that sign. So creative.

7:10 p.m.—Julie and the kids are making their way out through the exit. And I’m looking at my watch, knowing I only have 10 minutes to sprint across two theme parks to make it to Indiana Jones, and my heart sinks. I know I’m not going to make it.

:sad2:

7:20 p.m.—The Indiana Jones FastPass quietly expires in my pocket, and I die a little inside.

:sad2::sad2: Indy was closed my first trip- SO I HAD to go back. :rolleyes:

7:42 p.m.—There’s no fanfare, announcement, or any hint of a show. The speakers simply start playing “Sh-Boom” by The Chords, which you may remember from the movie when the residents decide to light up Radiator Springs for the evening. At the same time, all of the neon starts to flicker to life up and down the street. It’s understated and magical at the same time.

It is pretty cool isn't it? Like being in the movie.

2) pyrotechnics.

California sure does like fire.

So, regarding World of Color, would you recommend a dining package then, in order to get a better viewing spot?

Did Carthay the first time out and got a great view - Front and center. Pricey... yes but a great meal. I do hear they have changed the package a bit so the experience may not be the same.

Ambitious.

Maybe a little too ambitious.

Another fabulous Picture.

:thanks:

Sorry the monorail wasn't the bomb. I have only done it out to DTD. I liked the different seating configuation.

Well, Julie is the only one who suffered through it. I imagine it's better in cooler weather.

Great Job. Hope you can use it.

:rolleyes1

They're not going to make it , they're not going it make it !!!!!!!

The suspense is killing me!

You made it and :thumbsup2 I love that sign. So creative.

That was such a nice little touch. Perfect for the area.

Indy was closed my first trip- SO I HAD to go back.

Sounds like a good enough reason to me!

It is pretty cool isn't it? Like being in the movie.

Yeah, it really is. They just nailed it.

California sure does like fire.

So do I! From a safe distance, of course.

Did Carthay the first time out and got a great view - Front and center. Pricey... yes but a great meal. I do hear they have changed the package a bit so the experience may not be the same.

Well, sure, rub it in, why don't you? Anyway, I can't afford those fancy dining packages, so I was stuck with the other riffraff.

Well, sure, rub it in, why don't you? Anyway, I can't afford those fancy dining packages, so I was stuck with the other riffraff

I know the last time that particular package had changed and wasn't quite worth the money. I got lucky to take advantage before Disney knew it was a deal. :rolleyes: :flower3:

Hey Mark,

Just letting you know I'm still here, hanging around as best I can. You really had a long and wonderful day and saw so much! Kudos to you for maximizing a day in ways the unlearned/unresearched cannot. :thumbsup2:worship:

I know the last time that particular package had changed and wasn't quite worth the money. I got lucky to take advantage before Disney knew it was a deal. :rolleyes: :flower3:

It's hard for us to take advantage of those packages anyway--not enough burgers on the menu. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Hey Mark,

Just letting you know I'm still here, hanging around as best I can. You really had a long and wonderful day and saw so much! Kudos to you for maximizing a day in ways the unlearned/unresearched cannot. :thumbsup2:worship:

Always great to hear from you, Liesa! And thanks. It still nags at me that I missed out on Indiana Jones, but as we all know, you just can't do everything.

Captain’s Log: Tuesday, 29 July 2014.

1:29 a.m.—You would have thought we’d tired him out. But no.

4:37 a.m.—Someday, I know, this kid will sleep through the night. It just feels like he never will.

7:43 a.m.—Look at that! We slept in. For us, anyway.

8:19 a.m.—It’s a melancholy morning as we all get dressed and packed up. No more Disney fun to be had. And vacation itself ends tomorrow. The only thing we really have to do is get back to Vegas so we can catch the flight in the morning. It’s a 4-hour drive, and we’re all dragging thanks to the all-out assault on Disneyland we perpetrated the previous day.

8:42 a.m.—We pack the suitcases and drag our feet a bit in loading up the rental van. Once again, the game of Tetris begins as I try to fit our suitcases, golf clubs, stroller, groceries, and carry-on bags into the space between the rear seat and tailgate. If you recall, I’ve had to get everything loaded in just so, and then slam the rear door shut quickly before the pile shifts. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 slams to get it to close tightly.

I’m already in a bad mood because there’s no more Disney and we have to leave. I get all of the bags in just the right place. Then I slam the door. There’s a loud thunk and it fails to close. Grrrr. I thought I had everything in just right. Well, I know how to fix this.

Slam harder.

THUNK.

Slam harder.

THUNK.

WHY WON’T (SLAM) THIS @#$% (SLAM) DOOR CLOSE?!?! (SLAM)

Maybe it’s because I put my video camera down on the ledge, right where the door is supposed to close. The same video camera that used to have a flat top, and is now concave.

I realize what I’ve done, and try to power on the camera to see if it still works. Nothing.

So remember, kids, if you want to put an expensive piece of electronics out of commission, don’t just give it a good whack. You want to really smack the crap out of it several times to do the job.

Yep, I’m an idiot.

The good news is, the SD card survived and the videos are intact.

8:43 a.m.—Now I’m really grumpy.

8:44 a.m.—We make sure everything is secure in the van (this time) and lock the doors…and walk away. We’re not hitting the road quite yet.

9:03 a.m.—Our family suffers from a genetic condition known as DDP: Disney Departure Procrastination. Symptoms include an extreme reluctance to leave any property owned by the Walt Disney Co. around the world, and those afflicted with this condition may exhibit irritability, depression, fatigue, and/or nausea at the thought of having to return to the work force. The treatment typically involves the start of planning the next vacation.

We’re treating our condition by heading once more to Downtown Disney.

9:12 a.m.—The first stop is Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express for breakfast. I believe it was Cynthia who had recommended the beignets here, and that sounded much more appealing than Pop Tarts. It’s also a good medication to help treat DDP.

IMG_6765.JPG

If you don’t know what a beignet is, then I feel terrible for you. It’s the New Orleans version of a doughnut, or fried dough covered in powdered sugar. They’re really good when served hot. You can get 10 beignets for 10 bucks, so we go with that option. Believe me when I say they don’t last long.

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6764.JPG

9:29 a.m.—But don’t worry. WE STILL HAVE A BAG OF SUGAR!

IMG_6767.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG

IMG_6770.jpg

IMG_6766.JPG

9:31 a.m.—The aftermath is fairly grim. It looks like a crime scene.

IMG_6771.JPG

9:40 a.m.—So what else can we do to stall before we leave? Let’s check out the Grand Californian Hotel.

IMG_6772.JPG

9:42 a.m.—Looks like there’s some conference going on. Why didn’t I choose a job that gets me into these boondoggle “conferences” all over the country? In my next life, I’m going to fix that.

Anyway, I just wanted to gawk at the lobby a bit. Being such a big fan of the Wilderness Lodge, I knew the Grand Californian would appeal to me in a similar way.

IMG_6776.JPG

IMG_6777.JPG

I thought it was cool how the carpet matched the tile on the floor exactly.

IMG_6778.jpg

9:52 a.m.—We spend a few minutes just wandering the lobby and dreaming of actually being able to stay here someday. Scotty probably doesn’t really need to go to college, so if we can skip those payments maybe we’ll be able to afford it.

On our way out:

IMG_6783.jpg

Well, everyone dies of something. Might as well be too much Disney.

10:00 a.m.—We head for the World Of Disney Store. We were pretty good about not buying too much the day before, but now all of our restraint goes out the window, and we spend Baby Drew’s college education on our souvenirs. On the plus side, I did get a nice classic-looking ball cap with the Disneyland “D” on the front. So there’s that. Also, I think our Christmas shopping is just about done, mostly because we can’t afford anymore gifts for the rest of the year.

10:47 a.m.—With a sigh, we can’t come up with any more ways to procrastinate before leaving. To balance out the heavy hearts, our wallets are much lighter. We start the walk back to the hotel.

10:49 a.m.—Hey, kids! That lady with the stroller is gone! Quick, go stand on the compass!

IMG_6791.JPG

11:12 a.m.—We’re on the road. I’ve set our GPS for our lunch destination. The map of our route that shows up on the screen looks different than what I remembered when doing our research. Hmmm. Maybe it’s routing us around traffic.

11:24 a.m.—Nope, that wasn’t it. We’ve been on I-5 way too long, and we’re heading northwest towards Los Angeles, rather than northeast towards Las Vegas. The restaurant we chose for lunch has a few locations scattered in the area, and it appears our GPS chose the wrong one. In fact, the location we wanted to reach doesn’t show up in the list. Is it still there??

Worse, we’ve hit L.A. traffic on the interstate.

11:51 a.m.—We finally get off I-5. Stand back, folks. I’m going to have to wing it to get back on track.

12:27 p.m.—I-605 to I-10 to I-15. Yep, I’m good. Hey, shut up about blindly following the GPS.

12:43 p.m.—We’ve reached our destination. I didn’t know the exact exit, but I sorta-kinda knew the general area where it was, and I happen to have guessed right. So there.

We are in Rancho Cucamonga, California. We stop here because a) the restaurant we wanted has a location here which is right on the way to Vegas, and b) it is impossibly fun to say “Rancho Cucamonga” out loud. Seriously, try it. Roll your “r”’s for added effect. We’ve been shouting it in the car for about 20 minutes, and it doesn’t get old!

Also, we’re a little tired and punch-drunk from yesterday.

12:54 p.m.—Our choice for lunch is Slater’s 50/50 Burgers By Design. Slater’s is a restaurant we had first seen on the Travel Channel, I believe as part of their “Bacon Paradise” show. When watching, they’d noted that there was one in Anaheim close to Disneyland, so I made note that if we ever made it out there, we’d try this place out. Further research had yielded the RRRRRRRRancho Cucamonga location on our route.

IMG_6795.JPG

Slater’s is known for its “50/50” burger patty. This is a burger made up of 50% ground beef and…

Hang on, I’m giggling. I can never talk about this with a straight face.

…50% ground bacon.

Perhaps you can see why this place appealed to me. Yes, it’s a heart attack on a plate. But as I said before, you have to die of something. Might as well die happy. Even if it takes 5 years off my life, they probably would have been 5 years in a nursing home anyway, so that makes it ok.

1:00 p.m.—The place is a burger bar, so you can choose one of their creations or take the handy notepad listing all of the ingredients to make your own amazing burger combination. Here’s my order.

IMG_6797.JPG

Behold the “Blue Hen Bacon Burger”: 50/50 patty, bacon-pretzel roll, cheddar cheese, grilled pineapple, beer-battered onion rings, more thick-cut bacon, and bacon ketchup. The “Blue Hen” is in honor of my alma mater, the University of Delaware, whose mascot is the Fightin’ Blue Hen.

Yes, it’s a chicken. But it’s a fighting chicken.

Shut up. Look, it could be worse. We could be the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

1:17 p.m.—Our aorta-blockerss have arrived. And they are magnificent.

IMG_6801.JPG

1:18 p.m.—I can barely open my mouth wide enough to take a bite, but somehow I manage. I think the 50/50 burger is excellent. They warned us that the patty would still look pink inside, but that’s due to the bacon. It’s a little saltier than a normal burger would be. Julie thinks it’s a bit too salty for her taste. For me, the sweetness of the pineapple and onion rings balances out the saltiness just fine, and I am in bacon heaven. I manage to pick up a pint glass for my collection back home, and no matter what Julie says, I’m still awarding Slater’s 50/50 a coveted Drooling Homer Excellence in Unpretentious Dining Award.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

1:40 p.m.—We’re back on the road, setting off on the drive to Las Vegas. Climbing over the mountains makes for a very scenic drive.

2:37 p.m.—However, once we’re over the mountains and into the desert, it’s somewhat monotonous. To give you an idea, here are the points of interest shown on our GPS:

IMG_6802.JPG

3:24 p.m.—Hey, look. Joshua trees. More than you can count, all over the side of the highway.

IMG_6805.JPG

3:42 p.m.—We’ve been on the road for 11 days. The baby has been up at least twice a night, every night. There was a 4.5-hour flight involved. Numerous time changes. And yesterday we spend 15.5 hours going all-out touring Disneyland. Combine that with the drive featured on that GPS screen above.

This is when it finally catches up with me. I’m drifting. I cannot physically keep my eyes open any longer.

For the first time ever on an Oblivious Family Road Trip, I relinquish the wheel to my lovely wife.

3:47 p.m.—It was the right call. I just couldn’t keep going any—

3:47:12 p.m.—Zzzzzzzzz….

4:32 p.m.—That’s much better. I’m back at the wheel after a pit stop, and we’re getting closer to Vegas.

6:15 p.m.—After some more GPS maneuvering around the city, we arrive at our home for the night: the Embassy Suites Convention Center. It’s not on the Strip, which is probably why we could afford it. Also, I got a good deal on Priceline. Anyway, I love Embassy Suites when I get the chance to stay in them. Not only do they have a good free breakfast, but it gives us the chance to sleep in a different room than the kids. If you’re a parent, you know what a godsend that is.

6:42 p.m.—After unpacking and crashing in the room for a bit, we’re off to dinner. We head to yet another local chain restaurant, Claim Jumper.

IMG_6807.JPG

This is a western chain that Julie and I had found on our last trip to Arizona in 2008. We liked the food there very much, but there was one above all that we came back for: a side dish called the three-cheese potatocake. Because we just haven’t had enough artery-cloggers today.

IMG_6808.JPG

(sorry for the blurry photo)

This is basically deep-fried mashed potatoes. And they’re by far the best part of the meal. Everything else was fine, but nothing to write home about.

8:32 p.m.—With that, our southwestern adventure draws to a close.

Wednesday, July 30

6:20 a.m.--The next morning is a routine early-morning wakeup, with a bonus ham/cheese/onion omelet made to order for me at breakfast. We return the rental car.

7:10 a.m.—I have the X-ray system down to a science at airports now. Rather than trying to empty my pockets into the bins along with my belt, shoes, hat, etc., I just put everything into my carry-on bag: wallet, keys, iPod, loose change, etc. That way I don’t waste as much time getting myself put together after going through the line.

8:30 a.m.—We’re on our way back home.

IMG_0658.JPG

3:40 p.m.—The flight is uneventful. We have this whole change-a-poopy-diaper-in-an-airline-seat thing down cold by now. We retrieve our luggage from the baggage claim. Now we have our multiple bags/golf clubs/souvenirs/etc. I make the offer to Julie to go get the van from long-term parking and drive it back so we don’t have to lug all of that crap onto the shuttle. Dave goes with me while she waits with the others.

3:50 p.m.—Dave and I climb aboard the shuttle, taking a couple of bags with us.

4:20 p.m.—We reach long-term parking. Dave and I climb out of the shuttle bus. We find our van.

4:20:20 p.m.—Julie has my carry-on bag.

4:20:23 p.m.—My keys are still in my carry-on bag.

4:20:25 p.m.—Because David is with me, I can only sigh in frustration at my own stupidity. But in my mind, I’m inventing new, creative forms of profanity. Oh, and Julie has the cell phone. I don’t own one. In case you were wondering how we can afford these trips, that’s one reason why.

4:30 p.m.—We catch the shuttle back to the airport. I ask the driver if I can stay on past the departures area and ride to the baggage claim. He says that’s fine.

4:43 p.m.—We drive all the way around the terminal. At the last stop, the driver tells me I have to get off. He isn’t allowed to let me stay on.

4:44 p.m.—Well, that would have been nice for you to tell me when I asked the question. Especially considering the Southwest terminal was the first stop, and now Dave and I have to walk back around the ENTIRE AIRPORT to get back there.

4:44:44 p.m.—In my mind, I practice my new profanity on the bus driver.

5:02 p.m.—We finally make it back to the baggage claim, where Julie has been wondering all this time just where the heck I am, and inventing new profanities to describe her oaf of a husband. I explain the location of my keys. She begins seeing all of the handsome men she knew in high school and college who would have made excellent mates flash before her eyes.

5:04 p.m.—We all climb aboard the shuttle, lugging all of our bags with us. As luck would have it, we get the SAME DRIVER, just making his loop now.

5:05 p.m.—You know that saying, “if looks could kill”? The stinkeye I gave him could have laid waste to the Eastern Seaboard.

5:06 p.m.—Of course, if we’d stayed on the bus, we wouldn’t have arrived until now.

5:07 p.m.—I’m gonna go ahead and declare vacation to be officially over at this point.

5:40 p.m.—One last stop for lunch/dinner/what time is it?/who cares, I’m hungry.

IMG_0632%255B1%255D.JPG

5:48 p.m.—Aww, look at that. The baby is being cute. I should probably get some video of—oh, right.

*** END TRANSCRIPT ***

Coming Up Next: The final wrap-up, and my mini-PTR for Summer 2015.

Last edited:
You would have thought we’d tired him out. But no.
Well, how long did he sleep during the day while you were all busting your a... ???

If you recall, I’ve had to get everything loaded in just so, and then slam the rear door shut quickly before the pile shifts. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 slams to get it to close tightly.
Yeah, if it doesn't close, slam harder!!!!

WHY WON’T (SLAM) THIS @#$% (SLAM) DOOR CLOSE?!?! (SLAM)

Maybe it’s because I put my video camera down on the ledge, right where the door is supposed to close. The same video camera that used to have a flat top, and is now concave.
:headache: Ouch.

Yep, I’m an idiot.

Well, at least you don't have to lug that camera home. 1 less thing to carry! :thumbsup2

Our family suffers from a genetic condition known as DDP: Disney Departure Procrastination. Symptoms include an extreme reluctance to leave any property owned by the Walt Disney Co. around the world, and those afflicted with this condition may exhibit irritability, depression, fatigue, and/or nausea at the thought of having to return to the work force. The treatment typically involves the start of planning the next vacation.
Hey, I think we've got that in our family too.

But don’t worry. WE STILL HAVE A BAG OF SUGAR!
Oh dear Lord. That is scary. Scotty and Dave, with a bag of sugar.

Probably makes Drew at 2 am look like nothing.

The aftermath is fairly grim. It looks like a crime scene.
A coke deal gone bad...

Looks like there’s some conference going on. Why didn’t I choose a job that gets me into these boondoggle “conferences” all over the country? In my next life, I’m going to fix that.
I couldn't help but wonder that when I was there. What exactly do you have to do to work somewhere that has a conference at Disneyland?

Worse, we’ve hit L.A. traffic on the interstate.
:eek: :faint:

We are in Rancho Cucamonga, California. We stop here because a) the restaurant we wanted has a location here which is right on the way to Vegas, and b) it is impossibly fun to say “Rancho Cucamonga” out loud. Seriously, try it. Roll your “r”’s for added effect. We’ve been shouting it in the car for about 20 minutes, and it doesn’t get old!

Clearly...

Slater’s is known for its “50/50” burger patty. This is a burger made up of 50% ground beef and…

…50% ground bacon.
Um... wow. :jumping1:

Might as well die happy. Even if it takes 5 years off my life, they probably would have been 5 years in a nursing home anyway, so that makes it ok.

The place is a burger bar, so you can choose one of their creations or take the handy notepad listing all of the ingredients to make your own amazing burger combination. Here’s my order.
So much awesome.

Then they should be called the Delaware Little Jerrys. Much more intimidating than Blue Hens.

I manage to pick up a pint glass for my collection back home, and no matter what Julie says, I’m still awarding Slater’s 50/50 a coveted Drooling Homer Excellence in Unpretentious Dining Award.
Bacon... big burger... Yeah...

I'm just really disappointed that you didn't get this post up about 2 months ago.:headache:

However, once we’re over the mountains and into the desert, it’s somewhat monotonous. To give you an idea, here are the points of interest shown on our GPS:
Looks like you should speed up.

This is when it finally catches up with me. I’m drifting. I cannot physically keep my eyes open any longer.

For the first time ever on an Oblivious Family Road Trip, I relinquish the wheel to my lovely wife.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :faint:

Anyway, I love Embassy Suites when I get the chance to stay in them. Not only do they have a good free breakfast, but it gives us the chance to sleep in a different room than the kids.
Even Drew? :rolleyes1

I have the X-ray system down to a science at airports now. Rather than trying to empty my pockets into the bins along with my belt, shoes, hat, etc., I just put everything into my carry-on bag: wallet, keys, iPod, loose change, etc. That way I don’t waste as much time getting myself put together after going through the line.
That's how I roll too. Won't find me holding up the process.

—Julie has my carry-on bag.

:faint: That just sucks. There's no other way to put it.

4:30 p.m.—We catch the shuttle back to the airport. I ask the driver if I can stay on past the departures area and ride to the baggage claim. He says that’s fine.

4:43 p.m.—We drive all the way around the terminal. At the last stop, the driver tells me I have to get off. He isn’t allowed to let me stay on.
I just don't even know what to say. Here... :drinking1

In my mind, I practice my new profanity on the bus driver.
In your mind? Like using the force on him??? Because I'd really want to hurt him.

We all climb aboard the shuttle, lugging all of our bags with us. As luck would have it, we get the SAME DRIVER, just making his loop now.
Noooo!!! We'll take the next bus. :rolleyes1

Aww, look at that. The baby is being cute. I should probably get some video of—oh, right.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Ouch...that had to hurt. :(

9:29 a.m.—But don’t worry. WE STILL HAVE A BAG OF SUGAR!

I am going to :duck: now; I don't care for the things at all. But you can tell that David and Scotty did.

Anyway, I just wanted to gawk at the lobby a bit. Being such a big fan of the Wilderness Lodge, I knew the Grand Californian would appeal to me in a similar way.

It is stunning!

10:49 a.m.—Hey, kids! That lady with the stroller is gone! Quick, go stand on the compass!

Ummmm....I think you forgot a child.

Although knowing you, I knew it was a burger place, it looks like a fancy steakhouse on the outside.

1:17 p.m.—Our aorta-blockerss have arrived. And they are magnificent.

You'd have had to call 911 for me.

I lost a quote somewhere. We have Claim Jumpers her. We liked it the first time. The second two times...done with it.

5:48 p.m.—Aww, look at that. The baby is being cute. I should probably get some video of—oh, right.

I haven't figured out how to quote "pictures", but that is the cutest picture of Drew ever! Looking forward to the wrap up Mark.

I wonder if anyone saw your "leftovers" and felt an urge to roll up Franklins?

Anyway, I LOL'd at the irony of the Joshua Trees. So FUNNY!

As well as the masterfully done Idiot Job of the car keys in the bag. Only because that's a move I'd make.

I'll bet it felt good to be back in your own bed(s), even if you'd be up twice a night. At least you know you won't be waking up neighbors in hotel rooms next door. ;)

Hey now...

I happen to be the proud owner of a UCSC Banana Slugs sweatshirt. Much to the great chagrin of my aunt, whose daughter was attending UC-Santa Barbara. But she wins the Cool Aunt award, because she bought it for me anyway. I always get a lot of questions when I wear it.

My college mascot was the Pirate, which means we have really awesome clips from POTC that we play at football games, which I'm sure we totally have the rights to, and in no way violate copyright :rolleyes1

In true disclosure, I thought DDP was Disney Dining Plan at first. I think it's a sign I hang out on the DIS too much. I do have to say, as sad as I am to leave Disney, I don't like hanging around because personally it makes it worse for me. Better to be quick and rip the band-aid off, I guess. Or something like that.

Boo to vacations ending! And also for this TR for ending, because your updates bring me cheer. Especially when I have to deal with psycho clients. Who want me to plan a trip to Disney for them....on Christmas eve.....and are shocked to find out that it's going to be crowded.......................and also that the Christmas Parade isn't actually happening live. :rolleyes:

7:43 a.m.—Look at that! We slept in. For us, anyway.

Well at least you slept in....

So remember, kids, if you want to put an expensive piece of electronics out of commission, don’t just give it a good whack. You want to really smack the crap out of it several times to do the job.

YIkes....

Our family suffers from a genetic condition known as DDP: Disney Departure Procrastination. Symptoms include an extreme reluctance to leave any property owned by the Walt Disney Co. around the world, and those afflicted with this condition may exhibit irritability, depression, fatigue, and/or nausea at the thought of having to return to the work force.

Yup, even living as close as we do, we suffer from this as well. :thumbsup2

If you don’t know what a beignet is, then I feel terrible for you. It’s the New Orleans version of a doughnut, or fried dough covered in powdered sugar. They’re really good when served hot.

OMG! These are sooooooo good! I wish that I could have some of these right now!

A coke deal gone bad...

That did not occur to me, but you may have something there! :scratchin

We spend a few minutes just wandering the lobby and dreaming of actually being able to stay here someday.

I hope that you can someday, it's absolutely magical! pixiedust:

We head for the World Of Disney Store. We were pretty good about not buying too much the day before, but now all of our restraint goes out the window, and we spend Baby Drew’s college education on our souvenirs.

:thumbsup2

Hey, kids! That lady with the stroller is gone! Quick, go stand on the compass!

Great Photo!

We’re on the road. I’ve set our GPS for our lunch destination. The map of our route that shows up on the screen looks different than what I remembered when doing our research. Hmmm. Maybe it’s routing us around traffic.

I-605 to I-10 to I-15. Yep, I’m good. Hey, shut up about blindly following the GPS.

You made it about halfway to our house, at least you didn't go too far out of the way!

Seriously, try it. Roll your “r”’s for added effect. We’ve been shouting it in the car for about 20 minutes, and it doesn’t get old!

:rotfl2: Living here, we always thought the Cucamonga part was funnier. :confused3

…50% ground bacon.

Sounds good, I just hope when I go there I don't agree with Julie on the saltiness factor.

I’m still awarding Slater’s 50/50 a coveted Drooling Homer Excellence in Unpretentious Dining Award.

:thumbsup2 There are still a whole lot of other things on the menu there that sound yum!

However, once we’re over the mountains and into the desert, it’s somewhat monotonous. To give you an idea, here are the points of interest shown on our GPS:

That's why we listen to books on CD when driving to Vegas. It's almost as boring as the drive up I5 to Northern California, at least there are Joshua trees.

I usually drive about 1/4 to 1/3 of our road trips, just not the passes that go over 4000 or 7000 feet. :eek:

After some more GPS maneuvering around the city, we arrive at our home for the night: the Embassy Suites Convention Center. It’s not on the Strip, which is probably why we could afford it. Also, I got a good deal on Priceline.

I love embassy suites!

This is basically deep-fried mashed potatoes. And they’re by far the best part of the meal. Everything else was fine, but nothing to write home about.

Yeah but you probably could have fed your entire family with one entrée!

My keys are still in my carry-on bag.

DOH!

:rotfl2:

You know that saying, “if looks could kill”? The stinkeye I gave him could have laid waste to the Eastern Seaboard.

:scared1:

The final wrap-up, and my mini-PTR for Summer 2015.

Looking forward to it! :thumbsup2

Oh. My. Goodness. Sure it wasn't one of your better moments.

Well played. :thumbsup2

The first stop is Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express for breakfast. I believe it was Cynthia who had recommended the beignets here, and that sounded much more appealing than Pop Tarts.
Place looks great! Also great suggestion Cynthia!

It would of only been worse if my kids were there too. :faint:

I thought it was cool how the carpet matched the tile on the floor exactly.
I know there is a joke in here but I won't write it... this is a family board and all. :hyper:

Nicely Done!!! Great shot!

Rancho Cucamonga
I started laughing when I read this... then I continued to read that all of you were laughing at it as well. :rotfl:

…50% ground bacon.
Wow... that's serious.

Smart move. You wouldn't want to drive off the road and damage your video camera.

With that, our southwestern adventure draws to a close.
Say it ain't so!

The flight is uneventful.
Winning!

4:20:20 p.m.—Julie has my carry-on bag.

ummmmmm...... Losing?

Because David is with me, I can only sigh in frustration at my own stupidity. But in my mind, I’m inventing new, creative forms of profanity.
You have me dying here

Well, that would have been nice for you to tell me when I asked the question. Especially considering the Southwest terminal was the first stop, and now Dave and I have to walk back around the ENTIRE AIRPORT to get back there.
I guess he wanted you 2 to suffer. Idiot.

You must be getting good at this by now.

We finally make it back to the baggage claim, where Julie has been wondering all this time just where the heck I am, and inventing new profanities to describe her oaf of a husband. I explain the location of my keys. She begins seeing all of the handsome men she knew in high school and college who would have made excellent mates flash before her eyes.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

\
DOH!

Thanks for sharing your trip Mark. As always, great writing. Love your TRs. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Your last chapter just had me laughing out loud. At first I was saying to myself how on earth can you get in the car and drive such a long, boring drive after that burger without napping and then I scrolled down. I was not surprised that you had to nap. What really got me was the airport scene and the keys. Totally something my hubby would do. Glad you all made it home safely. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures this summer.

Wow You guys really go out with a bang!!!! Sorry about the video camera. :headache:

Good job knowing when to hand the driving over to Julie.

Oh the keys in the carry on -- that may have actually happened before... it stinks but don't feel bad, just hate when the real world after vacation just slaps you in the face. :sad2:

Looking forward to hearing about this summers adventure.

Sorry about the video camera. This past Christmas I realized on Christmas Eve that mine crapped out. Oh well, I'll take some video on my cell phone, I'll use the software that I used at HHI to record the bike trip to the beach house. It was a great Christmas, James was in disbelief that he got a new saxophone; Marlene cried when she found a note in her present from Lauren asking her to be her maid-of-honor. Then dad cried, when he tried to save the video and the software crashed. Poof.

I can't believe that your last dinner of the trip was hamburgers. Huh!

Did you tip the shuttle driver?

After the Dis makeover, I stopped getting email notifications and I fell behind. Then, I started gettin' them again but I was still behind. I stopped getting them again and I fell further behind. Still not gettin' them but I am all caught up and your trip has ended. DANG IT! You guys sure went out with a bang! I'm glad that your list of things to see and do was almost complete by the end of the vacation. Now, I'm looking forward to hearing about your next trip.

You would have thought we’d tired him out. But no.

Hunger knows not of tired.

I’m already in a bad mood because there’s no more Disney and we have to leave. I get all of the bags in just the right place. Then I slam the door. There’s a loud thunk and it fails to close. Grrrr. I thought I had everything in just right. Well, I know how to fix this.

Slam harder.

THUNK.

See, now with that “thunk” sound the vehicle is just mocking you here.

‘Cause it’s fairly obvious, that had you actually “thunk” about what you were doing…

you wouldn’t have kept slamming the hatch at this point

Yep, I’m an idiot.

Remember folks, you head it here first.

That counts as a valid save.

Not quite a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card, but there was some redemption here.

Our family suffers from a genetic condition known as DDP: Disney Departure Procrastination.

Show of hands…

Who here dose not suffer from this malady?

Ummmm… I'm pretty much counting a great big goose egg on that one.

Not a cure, but an excellent way to mask the symptoms at least.

The first stop is Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express for breakfast. I believe it was Cynthia who had recommended the beignets here…

Mmmmmmmmm…

Beignets = yummmmmm…

(less powdered sugar is better than the kilo that y’all ended up with, but that’s just my preference)

But don’t worry. WE STILL HAVE A BAG OF SUGAR!

And no good will come of that.

So what else can we do to stall before we leave? Let’s check out the Grand Californian Hotel.

Good plan.

Resort hopping also helps to mask the symptoms of DDP-syndrome fairly consistently.

But then again, it also just give's you a glimpse of other fabulous places and drives the desire to return and spend more money. So in the long run, this particular curative may not be in any of our best interests (but that won't stop me none).

Looks like there’s some conference going on. Why didn’t I choose a job that gets me into these boondoggle “conferences” all over the country? In my next life, I’m going to fix that.

Another good plan.

Let me know if you actually figure out how to pull off one or both of those things.

There are plenty of folks that will pay big bucks to know the secret behind either one of them.

We spend a few minutes just wandering the lobby and dreaming of actually being able to stay here someday. Scotty probably doesn’t really need to go to college, so if we can skip those payments maybe we’ll be able to afford it.

And since families are generally military dictatorships ruled by a two person junta…

You have a decent shot at enforcing that edict (just watch out for the potential coup d'état).

I like it…

Sign me up.

We were pretty good about not buying too much the day before, but now all of our restraint goes out the window, and we spend Baby Drew’s college education on our souvenirs.

Well, if Scotty’s not going, then I don’t see much of a problem here either.

On the plus side, I did get a nice classic-looking ball cap with the Disneyland “D” on the front. So there’s that.

I would say that’s pretty cool, but it seems to me that whenever you buy any type of sporting related garment or paraphernalia, the person or entity depicted tends to either get traded or sold off. I’d rather not hear that all of Disney was sold off and shut down because Mark bought one of their ball caps.

Finally got the shot!

“Good shootin’ there Tex…”

We’re on the road. I’ve set our GPS for our lunch destination. The map of our route that shows up on the screen looks different than what I remembered when doing our research. Hmmm. Maybe it’s routing us around traffic.

Trust your research. I’ve relearned that one a couple times as well.

It’s amazing what counts for hysterical when one is “punchy”.

Some of our family’s best inside jokes come from similar conditions while traveling.

Try to tell someone else about it and you get blank stares.

Recount it at the dinner table though…

Mmmmmmmmm, bacon…

Perhaps you can see why this place appealed to me.

Nope…

Haven’t the foggiest.

Even if it takes 5 years off my life, they probably would have been 5 years in a nursing home anyway, so that makes it ok.

I think there’s a Manlaw buried in there somewhere.
If not, it ought to be.

Behold the “Blue Hen Bacon Burger”: 50/50 patty, bacon-pretzel roll, cheddar cheese, grilled pineapple, beer-battered onion rings, more thick-cut bacon, and bacon ketchup.

Not bad at all.

I’d have done something very similar (give or take maybe an item or two) if given the opportunity

The “Blue Hen” is in honor of my alma mater, the University of Delaware, whose mascot is the Fightin’ Blue Hen.

I live in SC… between the Chanticleers and Gamecocks, I get the distinction.

But then again, our household now roots for Catamounts

Shut up. Look, it could be worse. We could be the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

One of my favorites as mascots go.

The story I’ve heard is that the students actually voted for that one as a protest against all the other mascots form all the other schools that they were never gonn’a beat at any sport but who could never compete with their prowess in either cutting edge research or surfing acumen.

Can’t prove it… like the story…

Hey, look. Joshua trees. More than you can count, all over the side of the highway.

First the vehicle mocks you…

Now it’s nature herself.

Now that there is what we call: tuckered.

Anyway, I love Embassy Suites when I get the chance to stay in them. Not only do they have a good free breakfast, but it gives us the chance to sleep in a different room than the kids. If you’re a parent, you know what a godsend that is.

After unpacking and crashing in the room for a bit, we’re off to dinner. We head to yet another local chain restaurant, Claim Jumper.

…there was one above all that we came back for: a side dish called the three-cheese potatocake.

Nope, haven’t heard of the establishment, but the specialty does sound intriguing.

Because we just haven’t had enough artery-cloggers today.

Has anyone ever truly had enough?

I make the offer to Julie to go get the van from long-term parking and drive it back so we don’t have to lug all of that crap onto the shuttle…

…My keys are still in my carry-on bag.

Because David is with me, I can only sigh in frustration at my own stupidity. But in my mind, I’m inventing new, creative forms of profanity.

“My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay.

It was his true medium. A master.”

Between the error itself and the actions of the bus driver, had I been in your place here...
I don’t see that I’d have been able to keep those thoughts unuttered.

I explain the location of my keys. She begins seeing all of the handsome men she knew in high school and college who would have made excellent mates flash before her eyes.

Yep… “fessing up“ would have been the worst part of it.

I’m gonna go ahead and declare vacation to be officially over at this point.

Awwwwwwwww!

The baby is being cute. I should probably get some video of—oh, right.

Now even your youngest is mocking you.

Oh wait…

I believe he’s been doing that pretty much the whole trip.

*** END TRANSCRIPT ***

And what a fabulous expedition it was.

Thanks for letting us travel along.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter