• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Disney Adventures of Scooter Mom-Sept 7-14 (COMPLETE)

Day 7 – Part 5

By then, it was time for our archery lesson at Fort Wilderness so we headed that way.

Disneys_Fort_Wilderness_Resort_and_Campground_sign.jpg

DSC05045.jpg

DD was interested in the horses

DSC05024.jpg

We parked and waited at the bus stop because we had to take an internal bus to our destination. We were early so we explored. We checked out the gift shop.

DSC05026.jpg

DSC05031.jpg

DSC05030.jpg

DSC05027.jpg

DD traded some vinylmations. This one

DSC05028.jpg

For this one

DSC05029.jpg

Then we checked out the pool

DSC05037.jpg

DSC05033.jpg

DSC05035.jpg

DSC05034.jpg

And the playground.

DSC05036.jpg

The lake

DSC05038.jpg

DSC05032.jpg

The campfire site

DSC05044.jpg

DSC05043.jpg

This resort really looks like it would be a lot of fun. We all agreed that it would be great fun to stay there. Lots of things to look at and do.

Archery lesson? How fun!

I've never really seen too many photos of Fort Wilderness, so thanks for posting yours! I'm a little hesitant to stay there, I haven't heard too many great things about the bus system. :confused3 There does seem to be a lot of fun activities though!!

Archery lesson? How fun!

I've never really seen too many photos of Fort Wilderness, so thanks for posting yours! I'm a little hesitant to stay there, I haven't heard too many great things about the bus system. :confused3 There does seem to be a lot of fun activities though!!

Yes - archery. With Brave and the Hunger Games, the kids have been very interested, so I signed them up for this. We were really looking forward to it.

Fort Wilderness is just sooooo neat looking. I think it would be really great fun to stay there whether you are tent camping, have an RV or if you are staying the cabins. We looked into the cabins and to me, they are glorified mobile homes. Plus, they don't have a queen size bed, just a double. That is really a deal breaker for me. I really need a queen to be comfortable. But ... it really does look like a super fun place !! I would definitely be game for tent camping there if the weather were right and we have the right equipment.

We didn't have any trouble with the bus ourselves.

Fort Wilderness looks really fun! I've never been there (and I haven't seen too many pictures from there either!), but it sounds like they have some great activities there!

Fort Wilderness looks really fun! I've never been there (and I haven't seen too many pictures from there either!), but it sounds like they have some great activities there!

It did look really fun. If you get some free time, I encourage you to go over and check it out. I was so happy we went and the kids LOVED it and really want to stay there now. I think it would be great fun to camp there.

Day 7 – Part 6

Then we checked in for our archery lesson.

DSC05041.jpg

DSC05042.jpg

This was $25 a person. Since I couldn’t stand for very long, I decided to be an observer. Since Brave and The Hunger Games, my kids were really interested in archery. DH got them some bows and we set up targets in the back yard and they were having fun with it. So I decided to sign them up for this as a little something extra and different for us.

DSC05048.jpg

DSC05049.jpg

They had two instructors and about 7 people in our group. The CM running the show was a certified instructor and was very friendly and helpful.

DSC05040.jpg

DSC05050.jpg

DSC05047.jpg

DSC05046.jpg

They all learned a lot about stance and body position.

DSC05058.jpg

DSC05056.jpg

DSC05055.jpg

There was a couple from Puerto Rico in the group who were very good at it.

Hit the bullseye almost every time.

Some more photos

DSC05072.jpg

DSC05069.jpg

DSC05052.jpg

DSC05065.jpg

DD was really tired and whiny and we had a hard time keeping her motivated.

DH and DS seemed to enjoy it though.

DSC05079.jpg

DSC05080.jpg

Afterwards, we got them some slushies for a snack credit.

DSC05082.jpg

DSC05083.jpg

If you or your family has an interest in Archery and you are looking for a fun little extra something to do at Disney, I highly recommend this activity. It is not expensive and we all enjoyed it.

Finally the archery! That was mean of you to tease us with all those lovely pictures around FW and then make us wait for the pay off. :rotfl: Did they require an adult participate with the kids? DD has been asking to do this for awhile. I'd love to do it myself, but I also want pictures of her doing it. She's actually a pretty good shot.

I love FW too! I'd have to do one of the cabins though. I got all my camping done as a Girl Scout. I need a bed and my own running water. No I take that back. If I had one of those big luxury RVs, then it would be okay.

So, are you in single digits on the cast countdown yet? If not you have to be close!

Finally the archery! That was mean of you to tease us with all those lovely pictures around FW and then make us wait for the pay off. :rotfl: Did they require an adult participate with the kids? DD has been asking to do this for awhile. I'd love to do it myself, but I also want pictures of her doing it. She's actually a pretty good shot.

I love FW too! I'd have to do one of the cabins though. I got all my camping done as a Girl Scout. I need a bed and my own running water. No I take that back. If I had one of those big luxury RVs, then it would be okay.

So, are you in single digits on the cast countdown yet? If not you have to be close!

You know I don't know if an adult has to do it with them. I would think as long as you are there it would be OK, but you would have to ask, I guess.

I don't mind camping if there are showers and bathrooms nearby. Weather would be a big factor for me. I don't want to be all hot and then there's the torrential rain .... yes, an RV would be cool !! I am not sure the cabins are worth the money. It is a cool resort though.

10 days to cast removal. What happens after that, I am not sure. I don't know if will have to wear the black boot of torture again or if I will be free of torture devices. But being able to take a few steps would be a HUGE improvement. And also being able to just remove the boot when I need to would be better than the cast that cannot be removed or adjusted in any way. I do know that physical therapy starts after that and I am hoarding my pain killers for that !!

10 days to cast removal. What happens after that, I am not sure. I don't know if will have to wear the black boot of torture again or if I will be free of torture devices. But being able to take a few steps would be a HUGE improvement. And also being able to just remove the boot when I need to would be better than the cast that cannot be removed or adjusted in any way. I do know that physical therapy starts after that and I am hoarding my pain killers for that !!

Yay! You're almost out of the double digits. I hope you are free of torture devices once the cast is off.

You are a better woman than I when it comes to camping. DD loves it, but it is definitely daddy's domain.

I saw this on another thread and thought of you immediately. It is a link to an allears list of locations with real coffee on WDW property. I know it is kinda a moot with Starbucks invading, (I hope the rumors of them moving in the Main Street Bakery in any capacity are NOT TRUE!) but in the off chance that Starbucks doesn't get complete control of the coffee it might come in handy.

Yay! You're almost out of the double digits. I hope you are free of torture devices once the cast is off.

You are a better woman than I when it comes to camping. DD loves it, but it is definitely daddy's domain.

I saw this on another thread and thought of you immediately. It is a link to an allears list of locations with real coffee on WDW property. I know it is kinda a moot with Starbucks invading, (I hope the rumors of them moving in the Main Street Bakery in any capacity are NOT TRUE!) but in the off chance that Starbucks doesn't get complete control of the coffee it might come in handy.

I was looking at that earlier !! I love the fact that Starbucks is coming in !! REAL coffee !! At last !!! We always bring coffee from home and make it at the resort and bring it with us to avoid the Nescrappe. I saw someone post that Nescafe is French for "Not Coffee." :rotfl: I can't imagine they would do away with MSB. I can see there being a little Starbucks portion in that store, but not doing away with it altogether. We shall see. Lots of rumors that fly around.

I don't mind the camping much because DH makes it fun. He has all of the stuff and knows all of the little tricks to make it comfy. We were planning on taking the kids this summer ..... and then I got hurt .....:sad: It didn't keep me from Disney though and I will say that even though the injury sucked then and it sucks even worse now, we still had a GREAT time !!! DH seemed to enjoy the fact that we slowed down and took it easy, so I will keep that in mind for future trips and not be so commando.

Day 7 – part 7

Then we headed back to Wilderness Lodge. We were all pretty tired, so we just rested, packed up some, did some laundry and DH and the kids went to the pool.

When DH and the kids got back from the pool we decided to just get dinner from Roaring Forks again. I had all of these plans to explore other resorts and eat at different places, but whenever we got back to the room and I put my foot up, I was always too tired and in too much pain to want to go back out again. And the kids seemed happy with the pool, so we just stuck to the resort. We really found it restful and Roaring Forks was so convenient. They brought the food back to the room.

So for dinner on this day, DH got the pasta special. It was penne noodles with some kind of Bolognese sauce.

DSC05093.jpg

I didn’t try any, but it sure did smell good. He said it was pretty tasty and ate it all.

I ordered the turkey sandwich.

Turkey and Dill Havarti - with vegetable salad or House-made chips $8.79

DSC05092.jpg

I really enjoyed this sandwich. It was very fresh and I really loved the savory taste the dill Havarti added to it. And I just love those house made chips. I like them really crunchy like that. This was a HUGE sandwich and could easily feed two people.

DD went out on a limb and got the pepperoni flatbread

DSC05091.jpg

We really liked their flatbreads. DD gobbled this up.

DS just went with the old standby.

DSC05090.jpg

For dessert, DD ordered and Smores cupcake and DS got a vanilla one.

DSC05089.jpg

You can see that DD couldn’t stand it and had to taste some of the frosting. I know the DS enjoyed his cupcake, but DD ended up giving hers to DH who said it was OK.

I had an ice cream sandwich.

DSC05094.jpg

Can’t go wrong there. We all got a shower and packed up some more for our check out in the morning and got some sleep.

Exciting News !!! DH called from work said he had some vacation he needed to use up and why don't we rebook our Thanksgiving trip ??? I had cancelled it because I thought I would still be in a cast. But since I know I will be out of my cast by then, I think I can swing it. Plus, I can be scooter mom again.

So ... just like that, we are booked for 11/22/12-11/25/12 in a 1BR at SSR !! One my my BFF's(Pixie Princess) will be there and we really love to spend time with her and her DD, so that will be nice and I hope to get a dismeet or two in as well !!

I am pumped !!!!! :dance3::cool1::cheer2:pixiedust:

I just started reading your trip report today. It sounds like you had fun even though you weren't as mobile as you would have liked.

Congratulations on your next trip. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy it more now that you have been fixed! :thumbsup2

The archery looks like a really fun activity! I had absolutely no idea they had things like that over at FW!

It's hard to resist sneaking a bite of frosting when waiting for a picture! :goodvibes

I just started reading your trip report today. It sounds like you had fun even though you weren't as mobile as you would have liked.

Congratulations on your next trip. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy it more now that you have been fixed! :thumbsup2

:welcome: Thanks so much for joining in !! It was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be for sure.

I am "fixed" but I don't expect to be 100% for sure. I think we will do the scooter rental again .... it worked out so well last time.

The archery looks like a really fun activity! I had absolutely no idea they had things like that over at FW!

It's hard to resist sneaking a bite of frosting when waiting for a picture! :goodvibes

I didn't either until one of my Dis friends posted photos on Facebook. I asked her about it and she said it was great and it was a relatively inexpensive (by Disney standards) fun little side thing to do. DH and DS really enjoyed it. DD was pretty worn out by that time in our trip and we had to keep encouraging her to continue. So if we do this again, it will be earlier in the trip, I think.

She finds frosting VERY hard to resist. There isn't a cupcake or birthday cake that crosses the threshold that will escape her attention and thus a finger in the frosting.

Definitely a good idea to go with the scooter. You don't want to push your ankle too much.

Definitely a good idea to go with the scooter. You don't want to push your ankle too much.

No, I definitely don't. I can't wait to get this cast off though !! 10 more days!! As long as I can walk a few steps, the scooter will be fine.

I don't mind camping if there are showers and bathrooms nearby. Weather would be a big factor for me. I don't want to be all hot and then there's the torrential rain .... yes, an RV would be cool !! I am not sure the cabins are worth the money. It is a cool resort though.

Hi there, for once I can say that i am the lurker. Well, actually, I just clicked on it today when I recognized your name.

Having only read the last couple pages, i don't know what's wrong with your ankle, but I think it was the part where you said you are hoarding pain killers that got my attention, I know all about that as you well know. And remember, don't waste them taking them after you've eaten, they won't work as well.

Question,,,, how many shots did you get to take playing Katniss? Is it worth it? I'm always looking for new and innovative ways to hurt myself and this is something I haven't tried. Doing a great job on your report, I need to start froom scratch. neb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter