The Deluxe Dining that defeated us ...a German perspective! (FINISHED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, I have just re-read some of the paragraphs on dining in my Unofficial Guide, and I have noticed how most people comment on the prices of meals in their reviews there. As we were on the DDP, I will not really comment much on the costs of any meals – and moreover, I am not even sure what “normal” prices would be, as all I know of the USA is Disney World so I lack the frame of reference here (sad, I know – but we will remedy that eventually, and go see some more of the US!).

Anyway, I will just briefly list the cheapest and most expensive meals we have had – of course, I realize that this depends a lot on what items off the menu you order, so it certainly isn’t totally representative:

::MinnieMo Our most expensive breakfast came from room service, while the cheapest breakfast was at Spoodles.
pluto: Our most expensive lunch was at Yak & Yeti, while the cheapest one was at Tusker House.
:smickey: Our most expensive dinner was at Narcossee’s, while we had the cheapest dinner (by far!) at the Trails’ End.

This looks so great! We're doing 9 days of Deluxe Dining on June 7 and I thought THAT was a lot. I'm loving what I've read already. Can't wait to read the rest!

Thanks,
Leigh

You are off to a fantastic start, you guys are adorable!

Keep it coming!

Nice reviews. Keep it up your doing great. Tomato soup looks really good

Thank you! Yes, the soup was really yummy!

This looks so great! We're doing 9 days of Deluxe Dining on June 7 and I thought THAT was a lot. I'm loving what I've read already. Can't wait to read the rest!

Oh wow, so you don't have long to go until your own Deluxe Dining trip! I would advise you to skip desserts when you feel too full, worked great for us! (Although right at this moment, I am so hungry that I would gladly go for a DDP three-course meal and definitely not skip a single bite :laughing:)

You are off to a fantastic start, you guys are adorable! Keep it coming!
I'm inpopcorn:: Congrats!:lovestruc
Great start! Count me in!!
Great reviews can't wait to read more.:thumbsup2

Thank you everybody who is reading this! I will try to update as quickly as I can, but it's always easier for me on Saturdays through Mondays when I am not working, so bear with me if the next ones take a bit longer! Anyway, here comes another one:

Ever since I had the strawberry cheesecake at the Plaza, my stomach was feeling a bit queasy. We briefly contemplated leaving the park for a nap, but decided to stay touring at full speed instead (NOT a good idea, that. I know. I’ve read my Tour Guide Mike. But it’s so difficult to let go when it’s your first day in the Magic Kingdom …).

I was fine for most of the afternoon, but when it was time for dinner at Tony’s Town Square, I was wasted: tired, with a headache and a stomachache, and somehow shaky and nauseous and weak. We sat down at Tony’s and even had something or other for an appetizer, but all of a sudden I decided I desperately needed to go home, so we left with the food still sitting on the table (the waitress was really nice, in fact, and booked us back one of our two meal credits, but I hardly noticed at the time).
After a speedy return to the hotel, all I could do was lie down and feel horrible and have a bit of a cry as I was feeling so miserable, lying there and wasting my precious vacation time :mad:

I am not sure today what really happened, if it was a stomach bug, the cheese cake and / or still exhaustion from the long flight, or maybe even a bit of a sun stroke (silly me, coming from Northern Europe at a cloudy 60 degrees Fahrenheit to sunny Florida at 90 degrees, and not wearing a hat or sunglasses).
Anyway, I staid in bed feeling horrible all night and most of the following day, only wanting darkness and quiet, while DH had a look around our hotel and Downtown Disney. (Originally, we had planned to spend the whole day at Epcot, with breakfast at Akershus, lunch at Le Cellier and dinner at Marrakesh – but alas, it was not to be!)

With the help of all that rest and quiet and some stomach medicine, however, I slowly started feeling better by about 3:00 p.m.

Taking it nice and slow, I had some fresh veggie sticks from the Roaring Fork foodcourt (they were delicious, by the way, and we used quite a few snack credits on them!) ...

P1000327.jpg

... and we hung around the pool, had another walk along the beautiful path to Fort Wilderness and a boat ride back, and by that time I felt finally, and completely, restored to good health. Thank goodness!

Coming up next: Our in-room dinner from WL room service – upgrade us to a suite, the food won’t fit in the room!

Loving your start. And you ate at two of our MUST DO'S every trip -- Crystal Palace for breakfast and the Plaza for our last lunch of the trip. And I believe the server you are talking about is Dot...a very lovely woman who waited on us when we were there for our 25th anniversary last year and told us she had been there since Disney opened.

I'm sorry you got sick and glad you recovered. Waiting for the next set of reviews with much anticipation.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your reviews. We've been to WDW so many times and although we've eaten at just about every restaurant on property, I've never written a review. I enjoy reading everyone else's reviews.

I'm loving your reviews. Having breakfast at the Crystal Palace is one of my favorite things.:goodvibes

It is such a shame you were not feeling well. I'm glad whatever was wrong, it didn't keep you down for too long. Looking forward to more pics and reviews.:)

So sorry you got sick while on vacation, that stinks.:hug:

I agree on the fries at The Plaza. I'm not a big french fry person but those are super good!:thumbsup2

Loving your start. And you ate at two of our MUST DO'S every trip -- Crystal Palace for breakfast and the Plaza for our last lunch of the trip. And I believe the server you are talking about is Dot...a very lovely woman who waited on us when we were there for our 25th anniversary last year and told us she had been there since Disney opened.

Yes, that sounds like the server I was talking about ... I wish I had taken a picture of the mayor giving her a hug, it looked so cute, but I wasn't quick enough with my camera.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your reviews. We've been to WDW so many times and although we've eaten at just about every restaurant on property, I've never written a review. I enjoy reading everyone else's reviews.

I have never written a review anywhere else either, but since reading AussieAngel's reviews here on the DIS, I've been wanting to. And I am determined to keep at it! :yay:

I'm loving your reviews. Having breakfast at the Crystal Palace is one of my favorite things.:goodvibes
It is such a shame you were not feeling well. I'm glad whatever was wrong, it didn't keep you down for too long. Looking forward to more pics and reviews.:)

Thank you for saying that! I am sure that we will do the breakfast at Crystal Palace again on our next trip - maybe also on the first day, it was such a great start to the first full day at Disney (even though I hope that the end to the day will be nicer than it was this trip ...)

So sorry you got sick while on vacation, that stinks.:hug:
I agree on the fries at The Plaza. I'm not a big french fry person but those are super good!:thumbsup2

Yes, I don't usually eat french fries a lot myself either, but I always get to taste those DH buys, whether he wants it or not :)

As I have just mentioned snack credits, I will use the opportunity to talk about them and how we used them some more, in case anybody is interested: Before our trip, I had somehow expected us to be unable to use them all up, as we had so much food on the Deluxe Dining Plan already. I saw absolutely no way to eat a whopping total of 56 snacks between the two of us.

However, we quickly found out that you could “buy” bottled water and softdrinks with them as well, so that is what we mostly did: I would guess that 75% of all our snack credits were used for bottles of water or Diet Coke, which we really needed as it was so hot all the time we were permanently thirsty (and we did not like the tap water, so the snack credits worked really well). The remaining 25% of snack credits were spread up fairly evenly, in my memory, between veggie sticks and fruit / grape cups from our food court, slushees and the occasional ice cream bar. (Yes, really only "occasional" - when I thought about the trip beforehand, I pictures myself sort of like constantly eating ice cream, but the dining plan got in the way of that :rolleyes:).

Love CP breakfast and the Plaza!! So good!

Can't wait to read more :) Congrats on your wedding. Honeymoning in Disney is the best!

Loving your reviews so far!
I agree...I kept reading, "the dining plan is so much food! We couldn't eat dessert!" etc. etc. And I was thinking yeah right, I LOVE to eat! No way! We're going to eat it all!
And we were also proved wrong. We ate so much that dh became physically ill, and then we decided it was too much food! And we weren't even on the deluxe plan!

Anywho, keep em coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter