The Deluxe Dining that defeated us ...a German perspective! (FINISHED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GREAT reviews! I think we may try Raglan Road!! The food looks good, the kids would like the entertainment and I'm going to assume some awesome beer for DH! :goodvibes

We do put syrup on our waffles. ANd that beef patty is actually a pork sausage patty. :thumbsup2

I am really enjoying your reviews! Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed reports.

I am now wishing I would have stuck with our Raglan ADR - maybe I should change back? :idea:

I am also thinking about giving Olivia's a try too. The food looked really yummy.

I would definitely change back to Raglan Road. We ate there last month and loved it. It ended up being our favorite meal of the trip and is on our to do list for the next trip.

I am loving this food review, it is totally killing my diet. If I diet between now and September, I can eat that much more in September:)

GREAT reviews! I think we may try Raglan Road!! The food looks good, the kids would like the entertainment and I'm going to assume some awesome beer for DH! :goodvibes
We do put syrup on our waffles. And that beef patty is actually a pork sausage patty. :thumbsup2

Ah okay, thank you for explaining some of that mysterious food to me! :banana:
I have just one word of caution concerning Raglan Road: the live entertainment was rather loud, so if your kids are easily disturbed by loud noise, you might want to think about it.

I would definitely change back to Raglan Road. We ate there last month and loved it. It ended up being our favorite meal of the trip and is on our to do list for the next trip.
I am loving this food review, it is totally killing my diet. If I diet between now and September, I can eat that much more in September:)

Oh dear! Thanks for the compliment, but I wouldn't want to kill anyone's diet! So please, stop reading my review right now. Until September. ;)

After about four hours of happily exploring Animal Kingdom, we were back at Tusker House for our 1:15 p.m. ADR. I had booked the “Finding Nemo Package” which would give us preferred entry tickets for the 3:15 show. (I didn’t know whether those were necessary at all, but since the package didn’t cost anything extra, I had wanted to give it a go.)

The bolivian lady at the check-in counter still recognized me from that morning, so we had a nice chat and a bit of a pin-trade before DH and I were led to our table, this time in another corner of the main dining room next to a little window to Harambe. Our server (whose name I forgot as usual, sorry) was a very nice Indonesian guy who made us several recommendations on what to eat. All of it turned out yummy!

I only took pictures of our first plates, but rest assured that each of us had about two more plates as everything tasted really nice!

P1000729.jpg

Starting in the lower left-hand corner and moving clockwise around my plate, I had the vegetable samosas (delicious – a very good recommendation from our server!), some seafood stew with tamarind sauce, saffron-infused vegetables, grilled salmon with tomatoes, some couscous (I forget which one it was), and – in the middle – pearl couscous with sweet basil essence.
I absolutely loved, loved, loved those slightly oriental dishes! None of them were too spicy or too strange, hardly any of them were boring, I was in mildly-oriental food heaven! I also tried most of the other “exotic” stuff but didn’t photograph it, and I extend my praises to all of it. Especially worth mentioning: the Cape Malay curry chicken with coriander, and the Tandoori Tofu! I would not hesitate a second to eat here again, and for everybody who probably does not like his food a tiny bit exotic, there were lots of more “normal” choices like carved meat or chicken legs available. You can see that on DH’s plate, who had not only samosas and saffron veggies but also some chicken and meat:

P1000725.jpg

I cannot really recall what we drank, by the way – the bill lists it as “Pangani Punch” which we had to pay for out of pocket, but it doesn’t seem to have been very memorable. Couldn’t really have been alcoholic, so some fruit juice or smoothie, maybe? Anyone who knows what that is, please enlighten me :confused3.

As this was the "Finding Nemo Package", I should also mention that we were given a slip of paper at check-in which we then presented at the rope barrier in front of the Finding Nemo theatre about half an hour before the start of the show; we were then led inside and allowed to sit in a roped-off section in the front right area of the theatre. We could see very well from there, but as the theatre opened to the "general public" shortly afterwards and there were a lot of other nice seats, this package would probably not have been necessary - at least not at this not-too-busy time of the year.

Up next: Dinner at Boma!

Ah okay, thank you for explaining some of that mysterious food to me! :banana:
I have just one word of caution concerning Raglan Road: the live entertainment was rather loud, so if your kids are easily disturbed by loud noise, you might want to think about it.

My kids are immune to loud noises! :rotfl2:

Just caught up, we were out of town for a few days, I was going into withdrawals with my Dis friends:hippie:

Great reviews, I'm thinking seriously of doing Tusker House now, we haven't been since they changed it from counter service. Your pictures are wonderful:banana:

Can't wait to read more, you are doing a GREAT job!!!:cool1:

i'm all caught up on your reviews and can't wait to read more!!!:thumbsup2

Thank you! I see that you don't have long to go until you're also off to a Disney Honeymoon - lucky you! I wish you a great time, just don't forget to wear your buttons and you will hear "Congratulations" so often you will feel like a celebrity :)

Just caught up, we were out of town for a few days, I was going into withdrawals with my Dis friends:hippie:
Great reviews, I'm thinking seriously of doing Tusker House now, we haven't been since they changed it from counter service. Your pictures are wonderful:banana:
Can't wait to read more, you are doing a GREAT job!!!:cool1:

Thank you! I didn't know Tusker House when it was still counter service as (like you probably read) this was my first time at Animal Kingdom as I hadn't been to the World since about 1983. But I am glad that they turned it into a buffet!

popcorn:: joining in popcorn::

I am always happy to see that people are reading this - have fun! :cheer2:

At 6:05 p.m., we were booked for dinner at Boma. First we had a look around the in- and outside of the Animal Kingdom Lodge:

P1000788.jpg

We liked it, but did not find it as grandiose or as cozy as our own Wilderness Lodge :love:. This was good, because when booking our honeymoon we had been unsure whether to go for WL or AKL, and now we could happily say that we had chosen absolutely right!

Let me admit to one thing right upfront: We found out this night that we weren’t too much into Boma.
I know that the place is getting rave reviews everywhere, but it just wasn’t for us. Maybe this was because we were still in our “Wilderness Lodge is better than Animal Kingdom Lodge” mood, who knows?
But we found both the waiting area and the restaurant itself much too dark, and way too loud, and somehow just not that nice. We spent quite a while in the waiting area, too; at least twenty minutes, and we were not used to that as we had hardly ever had to wait long at previous restaurants.
Both our server and our seater were courteous but rather hurried and impersonal. The servers appeared to be a bit overwhelmed with the number of guests as well, as there were several really dirty tables around us that stayed that way for quite a while before finally receiving their cleaning.

Therefore to all you Boma fans out there, please don’t be offended by what is nothing more than a personal opinion :worship:, but this was not our favourite dining experience and we probably would not return – not because there was anything substantially wrong with the food, but because the surroundings just didn’t do anything for us at all.

The food was actually quite good – even though I didn’t find it as tasty as the dishes we had had at lunch at Tusker House, for example.
Again, I didn’t take enough food pictures – I only snapped my first plate with salads and veggies … (and fries! Didn't I just write the other day that I wasn't into french fries? Tsk tsk ...)

P1000796.jpg

… and DH’s first plate with mostly meats on it, and a bowl of lamb stew.

P1000795.jpg

I tried some of the African side dishes as well, the mealie pap and the fufu. The pap seemed very bland to me, but the fufu – sweet and white potatoes mashed with coriander and cinnamon - was actually very nice, probably due to the fact that by using cinnamon and coriander together, it ingenuously combines two of my very favourite spices (and I hadn't even known these two COULD be combined :love:).

There were two other things I really liked very much about Boma: One was the soups, and the other, the desserts. They had a soup bar (with a looong line of people queueing up to taste the soups) and I tried tiny bowls of four of them: The lamb stew and the she-crab soup were absolutely delicious, the butternut squash soup (I hope I am getting the name right) was a bit bland but okay, and the fourth soup I did not like and have subsequently forgotten what it was :laughing:.

Now, for the desserts: That was a nice plate I got myself there!

P1000799.jpg

Some tasty fresh fruit (I can never get enough of that!), a little cheesecake (?) the name of which I forget but which was nice, and of course the not-to-be-missed zebra dome about which I had read so much in all the reviews, and which was just as good as the people say. I would just never have thought that it would taste so strongly alcoholic (apparently they put quite a lot of Kahlúa in there), but it was veeery nice :flower1:.

For drinks, we chose some iced water/tea and another MegaBerry Smoothie for each of us – love these smoothies, I wish they would offer them in every restaurant! Would never get boring for me :laughing:.

Coming up next: Breakfast at Spoodles, and all without pictures :rolleyes1!

I switched my adr from the Cape May Clam bake to Raglan Road thanks to your review. Thanks for the warning about the loud entertainment, but it will not effect my boys as they are usually the loud entertainment around here! :lmao:

Thanks for your reviews - loving them! :thumbsup2

I switched my adr from the Cape May Clam bake to Raglan Road thanks to your review. Thanks for the warning about the loud entertainment, but it will not effect my boys as they are usually the loud entertainment around here! :lmao:
Thanks for your reviews - loving them! :thumbsup2

I am glad I could be helpful - enjoy your Raglan Road experience!

Wonderful!! I am enjoying the reviews!

Thank you! :banana:

The following morning we were headed to Typhoon Lagoon for some splashing about and cooling off (not easy getting used to the Florida heat when you live where we do :sunny:). Consequently, we had decided against bringing our camera as we did not want to leave it either in the hot car in the TL parking lot, or in a TL locker. So this means no photos for the breakfast :worried:.

Anyway, we arrived at the BoardWalk (for the first time ever) at 8:00, had a quick look around and then checked in to Spoodles. We would not have needed the ADR's at all, as the restaurant was all but empty (it filled up a bit during the next 45 minutes, but nowhere near to capacity) and we could be seated straightaway. Our server brought us orange juice and coffee, but just the regular "poured from a big can" type of coffee. I saw on the menu later that they were also offering "real" press-pot coffee, but maybe we would have had to ask for that specifically, it might not have been included with the Dining Plan, who knows. It was no problem anyway, because like I said we didn't mind drinking the usual Disney coffee instead.

I had heard the Spoodles breakfast frittatas praised, so I decided on a fire-roasted vegetable and feta cheese frittata. DH had the All American Breakfast with all the usual stuff (see, at least he had gotten used to the good hot American breakfast foods by now! :)).

The frittata was absolutely delicious! I must say it was not something I would usually have for breakfast, but rather something I would have ordered when having lunch or dinner at an Italian restaurant – but apart from that fact, it tasted great: I loved the veggies, loved the feta cheese, finished everything right up and didn't even leave a bite for DH :rolleyes1.

I have heard that Spoodles restaurant will close in fall to make way for a new fancy restaurant, and I must say that I find it a bit sad how I won't be able to have breakfast there again on our next trip (fall of next year, hopefully). DH says he didn't find Spoodles all that special and doesn't really care whether he can eat there again – but then again, HE didn't get to try that gorgeous frittata ;).

Coming up next: Dinner at 1900 Park Fare – I need another beer, the prince is coming!

I had that same frittata a few years ago and it remains one of my favorite breakfast entrees anywhere, it is that good!:thumbsup2

Great reviews and what a great selection of restaurants you went to. Can't wait for the next installment.

Wow, can't believe I missed that many updates in such a short period of time :eek:

Tusker House breakfast sounds very good. Yes, we do put syrup on our waffles, sometimes fruit & whipped cream but usually syrup. The meat would be a sausage patty, you'll also find sausage links at breakfast here.

TH lunch sounds really good. We're going for dinner this summer for the 1st time and really looking forward to it.

I love Boma, breakfast & dinner. It can be loud but I think the restaurant is so neat looking :thumbsup2 I don't deal well with noise, but it doesn't really bother me there :confused3 :confused3 We've had some excellent servers there, but I've heard of some not great ones. I just don't know how you managed to eat all 3 of those meals in 1 day :scared1:

Spoodles: never had breakfast there but it sounds good. Don't worry too much about the new restaurant from what I'm hearing it's going to be very similar to what's there now but with a celebrity chef's name on it :rolleyes:

Now I need to get some more coffee and something to eat. I'm starving now for some reason ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter