The Darling Family June 2011: A Last Minute Budget Vacation

I love how each child got a different character....I love those pictures! Sounds like a great morning and KRR is one of our favorites too! I always seem to be in THAT seat though;)

I think I read all your last posts when I couldn't see your pics. I just looked at your pics and they are lovely, especially the dusk and evening pictures from OKW. I can't wait to get there and take some of my own!!!!

The PP are also super adorable. I love, love, love the simba and stitch shots. Nice!

We haven't been to Main Street Bakery yet.:confused3 That ice cream cookie looks delicious. I'll have to plan in a stop the next time we go to MK.:) Great pics with Mickey and Minnie. But...I wonder what happened to Mickey for the CM to cause such a commotion.:confused:

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing evening at OKW! Love the backpacks! What a great job!:thumbsup2

What a great idea getting the kids their own photopass card! Aww...the pictures turned out so cute!!!:goodvibes

I LOVE photopass and I am so glad to hear that you got the kids on board with it too :goodvibes
Anything for photopass photos!:laughing:

great idea with the photopass cards:thumbsup2
Either a great idea or a sign of a photopass addict!

That's a genius idea with the Photopass cards!!
I must say, I thought it was pretty genius myself:laughing:

I agree - quite the stroke of genius with the two cards! Great idea!:thumbsup2
The only problem was we ended up with multiple pictures of every shot! I'm sure we drove the photographers crazy!

I just bought the Hidden Mickey book to try out on our upcoming trip, glad to hear you guys liked using it! I knew there were Hidden Mickeys and Donalds, but Goofys and Tinkerbells? Who knew? :lmao:

Love the Photopass pictures! :thumbsup2 I just preordered my Photopass CD, it'll be my first trip using Photopass, can't wait!
The Hidden Mickey book really is fun! It really makes me appreciate those Disney details! :yay: for preordering the CD. That is the way to go. I've always loved using photopass!

Very very smart of you to give the kids their own Photopass cards to use. Are you sure you were an art major and not a psychology major? :lmao:
I did take one psych class in college and I remember doing very well in it. Maybe I chose the wrong major!

I love how each child got a different character....I love those pictures! Sounds like a great morning and KRR is one of our favorites too! I always seem to be in THAT seat though;)
I liked how each kid got a different special effect too. For the life of me I can't figure out why we didn't take one of all the kids together though:confused3 The boys must have wanted only individual pictures on their cards at this point.

I think I read all your last posts when I couldn't see your pics. I just looked at your pics and they are lovely, especially the dusk and evening pictures from OKW. I can't wait to get there and take some of my own!!!!

The PP are also super adorable. I love, love, love the simba and stitch shots. Nice!
So jealous that you are heading to OKW! I just love that place! I hope you to a trip report and I get to see those beautiful pictures you'll take.

We haven't been to Main Street Bakery yet.:confused3 That ice cream cookie looks delicious. I'll have to plan in a stop the next time we go to MK.:) Great pics with Mickey and Minnie. But...I wonder what happened to Mickey for the CM to cause such a commotion.:confused:

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing evening at OKW! Love the backpacks! What a great job!:thumbsup2

What a great idea getting the kids their own photopass card! Aww...the pictures turned out so cute!!!:goodvibes

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who never made it into Main Street Bakery. I loved our time we spent at OKW. Relaxing at the resort is becoming one of my favorite parts of our Disney vacations. That set of photopass pictures really did turn out cute.

We eventually made it over to Dinoland. What was the plan here? Had to be Dinosaur Dumbo. Here we are

disney152.jpg

disney154.jpg

After this the boys wanted to head over to the Boneyard. For some unexplainable reason I have no pictures of the Boneyard from this trip. So here are a few from trips past.

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

The boys had a great time. Even Wendy thought it was OK. Eventually DH showed up and reported that he enjoyed his Expedition Everest ride. We headed out of the Boneyard. It was hot and everyone was clamoring for another ride on Kali River. Luckily we had fast passes so we headed back over. After a fun ride Wendy and I noticed some super cute flip flops in one of the shops. We both decided we must have them. So here are the shoes (a bit worse for the wear).

069.jpg

Tummies were rumbling. So we headed over to our favorite place to eat in the Animal Kingdom.

disney11077.jpg

This was actually on DH’s list of must dos. It was prime lunchtime and the line was long, but we eventually got our food. And this was our view from our table.

disney157.jpg

Can’t beat that.:goodvibes We’d done pretty much all we wanted to in the Animal Kingdom so we headed towards the exit. Guess what the boys spotted on the way out? A photo pass photographer and because of their very own cards they had to stop.:yay: So we have a few more photo pass pictures.

Photo1404FourBySix.jpg

Photo1407FourBySix.jpg

Photo1410FourBySix.jpg

Photo1411FourBySix.jpg

We headed out to the car. There was something we hadn’t been able to do earlier in the trip that was on the agenda for today. Anyone want to guess where we headed next?

Ok, I'm just starting out reading this but as a fellow Maryland person I can't wait to catch up on the trip. You were there around the same time as us I think...and I'm still working on our June 2011 Trip Report! :rotfl:

Love the flip flops...they are so nice! Jasmine and I looked at them the day we were at AK but decided we would come back for them:confused3you know what happened to that plan don't you:lmao:

Nothing like a nice ride on KRR on a super hot day! Makes it a little easier to keep cool so you can spend a little more time there! Great view from your table...and your right, it doesn't get any better than that!!

Ok, I'm just starting out reading this but as a fellow Maryland person I can't wait to catch up on the trip. You were there around the same time as us I think...and I'm still working on our June 2011 Trip Report! :rotfl:
:welcome: I was just lurking on your trip report last night. It caught my eye because of the Auto Train. We took it last summer and thought it was really fun. Now that we've "met" I'll head over there and do more than lurk:goodvibes

Love the flip flops...they are so nice! Jasmine and I looked at them the day we were at AK but decided we would come back for them:confused3you know what happened to that plan don't you:lmao:

Nothing like a nice ride on KRR on a super hot day! Makes it a little easier to keep cool so you can spend a little more time there! Great view from your table...and your right, it doesn't get any better than that!!
Sorry you never made it back for the flip flops. I get compliments on them all the time. Wendy doesn't wear hers as much because she doesn't want to be caught matching me and I wore them all summer:rotfl:

We headed away from Animal Kingdom and towards Hollywood Studios. Remember back to day 4 when we weren’t able to go on the Backlot Tour. We were going to try again. It may seem crazy to go into a park for one ride, but since we had a car it was much easier. So before we knew it we were walking in the Hollywood Studios gates. As we headed over to the Backlot tour I spotted a photo pass guy talking to a balloon guy.:idea: I saw the opportunity to get a shot that was a little different. The boys had gone ahead and it was just Wendy and I. So we stopped and got this little gem.

Photo1415FourBySix.jpg

I love the balloon guys at Disney. Reminds me a bit of Up.:goodvibes Anyway we caught up with the boys. (DH was a bit confused because he couldn’t imagine what I stopped for. I thought he knew me better than that.:laughing:) No lightning on the radar this time so we went on the ride. It was the first time for all of us and we enjoyed it. I especially liked driving through some of the areas I’d ran through last January during the marathon. Here is my only picture from the tour. (Once again I wasn’t thinking of my trip report.)

disney161.jpg

The movie costumes displayed at the end of the tour were kind of fun. Here is John with Vader.

disney163.jpg

Not as scary as when he met Vader a couple of years ago.

DSC00750.jpg

Believe it or not, that really is all we did at Hollywood Studios. The kids saw the umbrella on our walk out and insisted on pictures.

disney166.jpg

disney167.jpg

We headed back to Old Key West and what did the kids want to do? Go to the Community Center. They sure do love that place (especially the boys.) Often they would ask when we were leaving the parks because they wanted to go to the Community Center. I told them we didn’t have much time there this afternoon because I had other plans, but Michael was able to get in a dart game.

disney168.jpg

What were these other plans? We were headed to Downtown Disney. I just love the boat ride from Old Key West to Downtown Disney and we hadn’t done that yet this trip. So we headed over to the boat dock and hopped in. Here are some pictures from the trip.

disney169.jpg

disney170.jpg

DSC02079.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

IMG_00022.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

DSC02090.jpg

This is such a lovely boat ride. Once we arrived where did we go? To the Lego store.

disney171.jpg

Even though this was a budget trip the boys still had allowance they wanted to burn. After the Lego adventure we headed to dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express. I love this place. It was actually DH’s first time there which seemed incredible to me. I thought about it and realized I’d been there a couple of times on our June 2010 trip (when he stayed home to work) and on our January trip DH had taken Michael back to the hotel because he was sick after running his race. (If you want details check out the Jan. 2011 trip report.) Anyway DH agreed it was a great place. I had this delish vegie pizza.

DSC02100.jpg

We saved room for dessert though. I wanted to try a Ghiradelli sundae. This did not disappoint.

bfd3db0e-1.jpg

We were planning a Magic Kingdom evening, but as we sat eating our ice cream I was rethinking that. It had been a long, hot day already. I asked the boys how they wanted to spend the evening and they didn’t want to leave Old Key West. Wendy, on the other hand, really wanted to head to a park. I remained undecided about what we’d do. After finishing our Sundaes we stopped by Goofy’s Candy Company where we picked up some delicious Make Your Own Treats. (They make a great breakfast.) These are from last trip, but we pretty much all got the same thing again.

DSC02104.jpg

After that stop, we headed back to the dock and caught the boat back to Old Key West. Then I had to make my decision about the evening. What was the verdict?

Sure makes it easier to head to a park for a few things when you have a car! I love the Backlot Tour! Great pictures from the boat..I really enjoyed taking it from SSR, there is something about the boats in Disney that I love!

I have a feeling you'll stay at the resort;)

I love the photopass shot with Wendy holding the balloons, that is cute and orignial!! :thumbsup2

It is so tough to decide whether to keep moving and head to a park or just relax...I always have a hard time relaxing at disney :rotfl:

I am going to need some advice, I signed up for the full marathon and am really nervous I wont make the time limit :headache:

Can't wait to hear what you decided. I love W P Express but it's been a while since I have been there. Must squeeze it in in the next trip! I have yet to. Visit Goofy's Candy Co...guess that should be a must do next time too!

Great report! I really enjoy your writing style.

We have a 2 night room-only reservation before our free dining kicks in this next trip and have Sweet Tomatoes on our list for lunch. Yummy! We ate there on our 2009 trip (free dining last year so we didn't need to eat off site) and loved it. We did not realize that there was one so close to Disney and went to one about 20 minutes away. DH will be happy to not have to venture so far out this time. :)

Sure makes it easier to head to a park for a few things when you have a car! I love the Backlot Tour! Great pictures from the boat..I really enjoyed taking it from SSR, there is something about the boats in Disney that I love!

I have a feeling you'll stay at the resort;)
The car is really nice to have, especially when we stay at OKW. We haven't had a car when we stayed at the BWV and the BC and we didn't miss it, but that is because it is so easy to walk to 2 of the parks. I love that boat to DTD. It is so relaxing and pretty.

I love the photopass shot with Wendy holding the balloons, that is cute and orignial!! :thumbsup2

It is so tough to decide whether to keep moving and head to a park or just relax...I always have a hard time relaxing at disney :rotfl:

I am going to need some advice, I signed up for the full marathon and am really nervous I wont make the time limit :headache:
I like the photopass shot too. I posted on your PTR about the marathon, but I'll say congratulations here too!!! You will do just fine. You have enough halfs under your belt that as long as you put in the training you'll be able to finish.

Can't wait to hear what you decided. I love W P Express but it's been a while since I have been there. Must squeeze it in in the next trip! I have yet to. Visit Goofy's Candy Co...guess that should be a must do next time too!
WP Express is so tasty! Goofy's Candy Co is something we do everytime we go to DTD. Not the healthiest habit, but sure is tasty:goodvibes

Great report! I really enjoy your writing style.

We have a 2 night room-only reservation before our free dining kicks in this next trip and have Sweet Tomatoes on our list for lunch. Yummy! We ate there on our 2009 trip (free dining last year so we didn't need to eat off site) and loved it. We did not realize that there was one so close to Disney and went to one about 20 minutes away. DH will be happy to not have to venture so far out this time. :)
:welcome: I notice from your ticker that your trip is coming up soon. Lucky! Sweet Tomatoes is yummy! I'm sure we'll visit again!

You know, I've stayed at OKW probably 15 times and I've NEVER taken the boat to DTD!! What is wrong with me?? I can't wait to experience it in January. Also I can't wait to make treats at Goofy's! Those look so yummy. :)

You know, I've stayed at OKW probably 15 times and I've NEVER taken the boat to DTD!! What is wrong with me?? I can't wait to experience it in January. Also I can't wait to make treats at Goofy's! Those look so yummy. :)

That is crazy you've never ridden the boat. I'm not a big DTD fan, but I made it a point to visit just so we could ride the boat. In fact I wouldn't mind taking the boat round trip and not even getting off at DTD. It is really lovely and relaxing.

So as we arrived back at Old Key West I was still trying to decide how to spend our evening. Should we hang out and enjoy the relaxing ambiance that is Old Key West like the boys wanted? Or should we head to the Magic Kingdom for our last night in Disney like Wendy wanted? We ended up with a split decision. The boys and DH spent their evening hanging out at Old Key West’s community center and watching a movie in our spacious villa. Wendy and I headed out for a Magic Kingdom evening. Here is when I did the most shocking thing of the entire trip. Are you sitting down for this? I didn’t take my camera. On purpose.:scared1: I decided I just wanted to enjoy my evening with my beautiful daughter. Don’t worry though. I took my photo pass card.:laughing:

Photo1452FourBySix.jpg

Because I didn’t have my camera I don’t really know for sure what rides we went on that night. I do know that we enjoyed the ambience that is the Magic Kingdom. Here are a few more pictures.

Photo1455FourBySix.jpg

Photo1457FourBySix.jpg

It was getting late. I asked Wendy if she wanted to get a spot for Wishes and I was really surprised at her reply. “I’d rather meet the princesses.” It warmed my heart.:goodvibes Even though she is older, she still gets the magic of meeting the princesses. And she knows it is something special that we have done as mother/daughter for a long time. So the princesses it was. Here are the photos with Aurora.

Photo1468FourBySix.jpg

Photo1471FourBySix.jpg

Photo1472FourBySix.jpg

Photo1477FourBySix.jpg

Wendy has always had a special relationship with Belle. It has something to do with the name Wendy uses outside of DIS trip reports. So humor a nostalgic mother for a moment. Wendy has pretty much left the nursery, but we can still take a journey back and see her grow with Belle.:cutie:

015_15.jpg

Look at how little Michael is in this one.

DSCN0177.jpg

image114.jpg

Image196.jpg

Here are the pictures from this reunion.

Photo1481FourBySix.jpg

Photo1484FourBySix.jpg

Photo1489FourBySix.jpg

Last was Cinderella who was not as personable as Aurora and Belle.

Photo1490FourBySix.jpg

Photo1495FourBySix.jpg

Photo1497FourBySix.jpg

As we were exiting the princesses we heard the fireworks. We headed out and caught the end of Wishes from the end of Main Street.

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

Not wanting our evening to end we decided to do a little Main Street shopping. Since this was a budget trip it was just window shopping, but for Wendy window shopping is better than no shopping. The crowds did thin out a bit while we shopped. We were tired and decided to call it a night. We took one last photo pass picture.

Photo1498FourBySix.jpg

Then we said goodbye to the Magic Kingdom for the trip.

Next up: Our Final Disney Day (and Duffy Questing is a big part of it.)

Thank goodness I actually was sitting down when I read this latest update. I've often thought about going into a park without a camera but I can't make myself do it.

It sounds like you and Wendy had a wonderful evening together. Cherish those "little girl and princess" moments because, believe me, I know how quickly a little girl grows up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter