• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MissSpooky said:
good point! It's going to be so hard to go to school tomorrow. I'll have to force myself. anyhoo I hope your enjoying the time there it must be picking up with the holidays coming fast.

Oh I am! I think that if I had to pick one time period based on both CPs, I would do the Fall program over the Spring program in a heartbeat. Halloween was fun, and the Christmas parties start on Monday. I'm so excited for those.

Well I just hope I can extend and be there for it all. I prob won't ever want to leave. I heard it is quite depressing when you get home from CP.

scasta86 said:
So I had my interview today....I think I tanked it :sad2:
Oh well, we shall see in two weeks' time.
No being hard on yourself, scasta86! I thought my interview went badly, too. I guess a lot of people have the reaction of "If I only did this differently..." I left the interview with the feeling that I completely bombed my last question, and I was still accepted.

Something I think we all tend to forget at one point or another is that our recruiters (or employers, teachers, etc. ) are only human, too. They understand that people get nervous when they're interviewing. I'm sure you did fine!

I think the same thing! In fact for tomorrow's audition I am crossing my fingers for the benefit of human error in getting thru it! I'm sure you did fine. I was really nervous and felt like I kept giving the same answer for everything it was my first interview in awhile and being on the phone it was actually easier. And then at the end he told me that I did great! We all think we don't do well I think that's human nature too.

MissSpooky said:
Well I just hope I can extend and be there for it all. I prob won't ever want to leave. I heard it is quite depressing when you get home from CP.

Oh it is. At least this time I know that when I get back home, I probably (and hopefully) will be back in 4 1/2 months for the summer alumni program.

MissSpooky said:

haha, that is what I'd be afraid of! I really would love to do the CP next fall (which is the semester before I would be student teaching). Otherwise I could hold off and wait until after student teaching and do it in the spring of 2008. I just think the fall would be so much better!!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the CP...it sounds like so much fun, and I think that if I don't give it a shot I'm going to regret it. I think one thing that's really holding me back is that I'd end up getting homesick...

When do they start taking applications for the fall anyways?

wdwgirl03 said:
haha, that is what I'd be afraid of! I really would love to do the CP next fall (which is the semester before I would be student teaching). Otherwise I could hold off and wait until after student teaching and do it in the spring of 2008. I just think the fall would be so much better!!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the CP...it sounds like so much fun, and I think that if I don't give it a shot I'm going to regret it. I think one thing that's really holding me back is that I'd end up getting homesick...

When do they start taking applications for the fall anyways?

I think the Fall is the better of the two, only because of all ths holidays. And I would say at least give it a try. I know I would reget having not tried the CP. I thought I would get homesick. I did get a little, but I was able to work over it, and now am fine. As for the Fall applications, they start coming out about late Jan.

Hey! I'm really sorry if this has been posted already, but I just discovered this thread (and section of the DIS boards) and I have to run to get a bus in 10 minutes, definitely not enough time to read through all 56 pages.

Anyway, I'm really interested in the college program but I'm Canadian. Is there any chance I could apply? I'd never heard anything about it until I started looking around on these message boards so it's highly unlikely that any university around here would accept the courses offered as credits towards my degree (BA).

I know it's a whole other story being Canadian because I'd have to apply for a work visa and all the other messy stuff, but I think it would be such an awesome opportunity. If anyone has any info it's greatly appreciated! :teeth:

silverhaze269 said:
Hey! I'm really sorry if this has been posted already, but I just discovered this thread (and section of the DIS boards) and I have to run to get a bus in 10 minutes, definitely not enough time to read through all 56 pages.

Anyway, I'm really interested in the college program but I'm Canadian. Is there any chance I could apply? I'd never heard anything about it until I started looking around on these message boards so it's highly unlikely that any university around here would accept the courses offered as credits towards my degree (BA).

I know it's a whole other story being Canadian because I'd have to apply for a work visa and all the other messy stuff, but I think it would be such an awesome opportunity. If anyone has any info it's greatly appreciated! :teeth:

According to the website you need an "unrestricted work authorization" to participate in the program. But they have info for international students @ http://www.wdwcareers.com/

Thanks, that helped a lot! I found out I can't do it though, because I've got a few tattoos that can only be covered with long sleeve shirts (or a large bracelet) and pants. :sad:

silverhaze269 said:
Thanks, that helped a lot! I found out I can't do it though, because I've got a few tattoos that can only be covered with long sleeve shirts (or a large bracelet) and pants. :sad:

I remember hearing that those could be covered up with some sort of make up or something like that? Not sure, try the Disney Look part of the site.

hey all!

just went to the college program presentation yesterday, and had my interview with steve :teeth: who was super nice! :thumbsup2

at the end of my interview, he said to me (and the other 2 girls i was interviewing with): in about 2 weeks you will receive something from disney in the mail. open it quickly!!!

:) i guess i should take that as a good sign??? :confused3

i told him that i wanted a high spiel role in operations, and that i was going to orlando this sat. to audition for a character role. he was super awesome and encouraging. :cheer2:

so...........now starts my loooooooooong wait! my audition is in 2 days....any advice??? i'm scared since it's in orlando....i'm afraid it will be super crowded with people who actually know what they are doing!! :) wish me luck!!

FSUDisneyGirl said:
hey all!

just went to the college program presentation yesterday, and had my interview with steve :teeth: who was super nice! :thumbsup2

at the end of my interview, he said to me (and the other 2 girls i was interviewing with): in about 2 weeks you will receive something from disney in the mail. open it quickly!!!

:) i guess i should take that as a good sign??? :confused3

i told him that i wanted a high spiel role in operations, and that i was going to orlando this sat. to audition for a character role. he was super awesome and encouraging. :cheer2:

so...........now starts my loooooooooong wait! my audition is in 2 days....any advice??? i'm scared since it's in orlando....i'm afraid it will be super crowded with people who actually know what they are doing!! :) wish me luck!!

Hey I think you interviewed with who I did over the phone! I did my phone interview with Steve back about a month ago. He was great and I told him the same thing. He encouraged me to go out for the character role after I told him about wanting to do it and my theatre and performance background and then I also told him if I didn't get that one I would love a high spiel role he asked me if I was good with something like the jungle cruise. My audition was yesterday and I went in with my head high but I have no idea what to think after it. They didn't show that anyone stood out and they didn't have any of the cosmotologist or puppet people there. It was just dance, pantomime and then everyone was told to wait to hear. It was fun but I just wish I had a better feeling about the whole thing. My only fear is that they already got all the people they needed in the first of the auditions. But I guess I won't know anything till I hear from them. Good luck to you!

hey there everyone. got 2 questions that im sure can get answered.

1. iv read somewhere that as a cast member you can get friends in for free. how does that work? how many friends is it?

and

2. whats the discount that you get with your ID card or whatever it is, like what is the discount you get on merchandise and food and stuff?

thanks

Darth Sidious said:
hey there everyone. got 2 questions that im sure can get answered.

1. iv read somewhere that as a cast member you can get friends in for free. how does that work? how many friends is it?

and

2. whats the discount that you get with your ID card or whatever it is, like what is the discount you get on merchandise and food and stuff?

thanks

As a CP, you are given a pass that lets up to 3 people in for 6 days. After that, it's only discounted tickets. And the discount is: Usually it is 20% for merchandise, except for the holiday discount (which is 40%!). And dining is 20% for breakfast, lunch, and dinner before 5 and after 8:30. And it has to be at a table-service resturant-no counter service (except a couple of places at AK).

How did former CP members deal with taking a semester off from school? (Ie. talking with counselors regarding possible credits for Disney classes, and dealing with financial aid?)

I've gotten credits for both my CPs. It wasn't too hard getting my school to let me go for the first one, but the 2nd one was almost like pulling teeth getting them to let me go.

What exactly does it take to get the ball rolling with your college. I mean I'm just planning once I have paperwork to meet with my counciler and say hey I wanna do this. I mean I'm pretty much just going to use them as my school to be enrolled in to go since when I get back I'll be going to a diff school. I just don't know if my plan is the right thing to do and maybe I should be talking with someone else.

MissSpooky said:
What exactly does it take to get the ball rolling with your college. I mean I'm just planning once I have paperwork to meet with my counciler and say hey I wanna do this. I mean I'm pretty much just going to use them as my school to be enrolled in to go since when I get back I'll be going to a diff school. I just don't know if my plan is the right thing to do and maybe I should be talking with someone else.

Well, it wasn't too hard talking to someone for the first CP, because I have a professor who helped to start the CP program back when it started. However, the 2nd CP was a different story, because they (in their own words) want me to finish school. I had to pratically beg to be allowed to apply. But I was able to, and here I am.

MissSpooky said:

I thought that once you accepted the offer you were supposed to put in a phone number from your school's faculty contact?? That was my understanding as I also don't plan to speak to an advisor until I hear back from Disney.

Joanna71985 said:
Well, it wasn't too hard talking to someone for the first CP, because I have a professor who helped to start the CP program back when it started. However, the 2nd CP was a different story, because they (in their own words) want me to finish school. I had to pratically beg to be allowed to apply. But I was able to, and here I am.

Wow that's crazy, does your school step in and say no when a student decides to take a semester off? Why would they be so opposed for you to take part in the CP experience which is so much benefitial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter