The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few of you have posted about 'ruining the magic'. I hadn't really taken this factor into consideration. Knowing what you know now, would you pick to work somewhere that you love and risk ruining it, or rather work somewhere completely different to preserve the mystique?

I would like the answer to this question also. My son is accepted to the Spring Advantage program. He will be going if we can get him enrolled in one of the co-op programs. We just need to make sure that he can keep his insurance :(

Id prefer to work in a hotel rather than the parks but thats just me.

DisHornFan said:
So a few of you have posted about 'ruining the magic'. I hadn't really taken this factor into consideration. Knowing what you know now, would you pick to work somewhere that you love and risk ruining it, or rather work somewhere completely different to preserve the mystique?

Now, I am no alum, but here is my two cents:
I am a little concerend about ruining the magic--there will be things you see that you don't want to, or days you do not want to work, or people you meet who just aren't right for Disney...
But you can create magic ( yes, 100% corny) and that in it's own sense means a lot more. And if you're working somewhere you love, there will be passion and enthusiasm there and it will show in you.
Atleast that's what I think...but I am hopelessly optimistic :lovestruc

What do you others think?

We never had a bug problem in our apartment at Chatham. On the balcony at the apartment above us, we saw alot of those little green frogs all the time. They were everywhere, and we saw a few lizards. How they found their way into the shower, I still cant figure it out.

We took advantage of my daughters discount when she was in the CP. Just allow plenty of time for planning to get the discounted rates. You have to wait until they have an ID and are in the system.

She also dealt with Central Michigan University so that the classes she took she got credit for. This was one of the options. They were great to work with.

I think most people over pack for the CP. My daughter sure did. There are stores here if you forget anything but she brought way too many clothes and "stuff."

It is a long day and be aware unless they have changed it you are assigned roommates based on who is standing in line with you. If he is going down with friends they need to get in line together at check in.

We are fighting with Ohio University right now over credit. He has to be enrolled in one of 2 or 3 classes that are considered co-op or internship or we lose insurance which we can't afford to do. We are trying to get stuff worked out so he can go but it's like pulling teach especially since he didn't expect to get accepted to the Advantage program.

We are a quarter based school.

I don't see it as ruining the magic. Yes, now I have full familiarity with the Haunted Mansion and know exactly how all the effects work, but I make magic whenever I tell people trivia or things to watch out for. I make magic whenever I work parade control and play around with the little kids.

I once had about 10 of them take me on in a game of soccer during the easter parade. I talked with a family and the sons wanted me to sign their autograph book. I heard about a little girl with special needs and was able to have the Christmas Shop make a certificate with her name on it and candy to bring back. I gave a front of the line pass to a frazzled mother that just arrived in the park late in the day and was afraid she wasn't going to get to go on everything.

Then, when I transfered to characters, it did sort of take away the mystery, but once I started performing it was wonderful.

And like figments said, there are days you don't want to work and fellow CMs you don't like working with, or guests that really make you mad. But then I think about how I was among the few to be selected to learn about attractions and characters and all the memories I've made.

DisHornFan said:

Oh no! I saw a LOT at Disney that would freak you out. And I found out some interesting things. But that makes it all the more interesting for me. Working at Disney is what I want to do.

Joanna71985 said:
Oh no! I saw a LOT at Disney that would freak you out. And I found out some interesting things. But that makes it all the more interesting for me. Working at Disney is what I want to do.

Sorry, lol. Just to clarify I meant maybe if Haunted Mansion or some other ride was your favorite thing about Disney, would you request to work there or maybe in the hotels or merchandising instead? But definately still in Disney! :)

binigrl417 said:
Cool, HM is my first choice (I really want to do operations, I interview tomorrow). It must be pretty hard to get though, I'm sure everybody wants to work there.
Who's everybody I hate that I'm a chicken! LOL :confused3

Disneylovingmom said:
I know that you are assigned to an apartment when you arrive, but do they ask you whether you'd rather live at Vista or Chatham? or has that already been decided before you arrive?
YES. They do ask. It isn't decided. They ask, "Do you have any living preferences?" And they try their best to accomidate them. Don't be shy. Get there early on check-in day and say what you want. Tell them you want a one-bedroom first over accecpting a two-bedroom, your living situation, etc. before letting them decide for you. If you check-in with someone you want to room with you can ask when you get there and they ask you also.

I would like to add my name to list of saying it's not worth it to drink while you are here. Yes, it's only a couple of months but think about your roommates that are here for the sole purpose of working for Disney. I'm not here to party, I'm here to work for Disney again. I can't afford my roommates to have alcohol when they aren't supposed to... and it's on everyone who is living there too! Please think twice about when you do this program if alcohol is important to you.

jenijeni said:
Who's everybody I hate that I'm a chicken! LOL :confused3

lol Thats ok, I still don't want to talk about my crying and screaming episode on the Tower of Terror when I rode it for the first (and last) time just this past August. It was the only thing I ever really hated about Disney. Not the rest of the ride, just that awful drop.

Im willing to bet that most people that are down there under aged are in the same mind set. That is, not drinking while down there for fear of getting booted faster than you can say Walt Disney. Im under aged, and dont get me wrong I drink and Im certainly not a spokesperson for not drinking. That said, I am also not that statistic that drinks to the point of passing out or gets behind the wheel of a car and kills half the people on the road that night.
I just hope that the roomates I am placed with feel the same about it as I do.

hey, underage drinking fuels the college economy, just think, there are conveinence store owners around the world that we are helping the achieve the american dream my buying there products, if anything we are revolutionists.

Uuaww said:
hey, underage drinking fuels the college economy, just think, there are conveinence store owners around the world that we are helping the achieve the american dream my buying there products, if anything we are revolutionists.

I don't think so. Look, Disney is VERY serious about the whole underage alcohol issue. There are NO second chances. Mess up once and you're gone faster then you can say Mickey Mouse- as in 24 hours. And if you get terminated, you can't work any of Disney's companies (and there are a lot). I know a LOT of people who got terminated because of alcohol. They will find out. It's just not worth it.

Hey everybody. I have some questions for the alum. Are the apartments single sex or both? If they give you an invitation to be an operator and you wanted to be a lifegaurd is there anyway you can change that? I got accepted for spring program but am having a hard time figuring out if I am going to go. Thanks for any answers. :sunny:

Joanna71985 said:
I don't think so. Look, Disney is VERY serious about the whole underage alcohol issue. There are NO second chances. Mess up once and you're gone faster then you can say Mickey Mouse- as in 24 hours. And if you get terminated, you can't work any of Disney's companies (and there are a lot). I know a LOT of people who got terminated because of alcohol. They will find out. It's just not worth it.

uh thats why i said that im waiting til im 21

Stitch_lover_Sith said:
Hey everybody. I have some questions for the alum. Are the apartments single sex or both? If they give you an invitation to be an operator and you wanted to be a lifegaurd is there anyway you can change that? I got accepted for spring program but am having a hard time figuring out if I am going to go. Thanks for any answers. :sunny:
The apartments are male/female, but the actual rooms are not. Then again, as long as you belong to the complex you can spend the night in any room.

As for switching, it's extremely difficult once you are assigned your role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter