• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had originally planned on not taking classes because I wouldn't be getting credit for them...but I think I might try to do one now (might is the key word here :teeth: ), probably the Marketing You course. They're only one day a week (for 3ish hours? not sure) for like 8 weeks or so I've heard. So that's not too bad. Might as well try to get in on all that Disney has to offer. But I don't know, we'll see. :teacher:

When will you be arriving down there?

My school requires me to take at least 2 classes while I'm down there, that is, if I get get accepted (my interview was on Thursday and the waiting is driving me nuts already). I'd love to stay at Chatham because I heard its much nicer and a little bit calmer than Vista Way.

I lived in Vista Way, and it wasn't as bad as all the rumors say it is. My apartment was pretty calm, and in reasonably good condition.

I stayed at Chatham during the Spring 2004 program and it was really nice, like a dream. I interviewed last wednesday over the phone and Im going insane too waiting for the response. I hope I get Chatham again, but Id be ok with Vista Way. Either way works for me. Its all Disney, I will just be happy to be home in Florida again. I miss it real bad

Hey all I'm Allie...if you couldn't tell by my name haha...I'm not really new as I've been lurking for awhile, but I finally made a name! I just wanted to say hi and see if anyone had information on the interview for the CP...I don't interview until next week and I would really love to work in entertainment as I've been acting ever since I was little and am working on a degree in it at college now.

Who else is going?

hey there allie! I was super nervous about my interview because I have never really had a job before. but anyway, the most important thing to remember really is to be yourself. i was asked questions specific to the work I wanted to do: with the vacation planner job i was asked how i handle a stressful situation. i thought i did horribly on the question but i answered honestly. then i was asked a genertic question about what you would do if you were working at space mountain and you noticed a child wanted to ride that was too young? so, you just need to be prepaired to show tact and knowledge of the areas you want to work with. lastly, i think most people are asked about a rewarding work experience/volunteer experience....this is your place to shine! show them how truly enthusiastic you can be about applying yourself to a job or volunteer situation! good luck!
by the way, my name is Janet, I am from Maryland and I will be checking in on January 9 and I am a Vacation Planner. If you need any other info feel free to IM me on AIM: JtotheG84 ::MinnieMo

Hey Allie. I just got back from my CP in August so if you have any questions feel free to ask me. BTW, if you want to be in entertainment as a character, you have to go to one of the auditions at the schools listed on the www.wdwcollegeprogram.com website. My AIM is joanna71985 and my email is joanna71985@hotmail.com.

does anyone know how disney does there scheduling? Is it weekly, bi-weekly, monthly?

I realize that they're probably just going to stick us in where they need help, but I was just wondering how it was done.

My son has been accepted into Disney College and he needs to check in on January 9. My question is... what needs to be done at check in and how long will this take. I'm assuming we'll be getting his room assignment and be able to get access to the room to set his stuff up. He'll be bringing his car from home so I'd appreciate any suggestions of extras he should bring with him. He's so laid back and I haven't gotten much feed back from him as to what we need to pack. How many day should I plan on using to get things set up, ie bank accounts, groceries for the room, etc.

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Check-in is a very LONG day. You have to fill out all the paperwork, get housing assignments, finger printed, a whole lot of stuff. I recomend getting there as soon as possible to get it all done. Since he's bringing his car, that's good. Make sure you bring some cash. You don't get paid for awhile. I brought around $300 and I was fine. Tell him congratulations!

Hey there! This is off topic from the information you were seeking, well, somewhat...What is your son's AIM screen name? We have tons of different online communities for Spring CPers and if we can talk to him we can offer him some advice.
-Janet
AIM: JtotheG84 :earsgirl:

I was just going to post the same questions! My son is checking in on Wed., Jan. 25 and we will probably fly. Southwest has $49 flights from BWI and he wasn't bringing his car anyway. I had planned on flying down Sat. and staying at OKW on points (we are DVC) and leaving late Wed. I hope that will give us enough time to get him settled in, I just don't know.

Good luck to your son! Mine will be working in Operations.

Linda

My DD just got her invitation today for Operations, and is checking in 01/09. Her dad and I will be flying down with her from Indiana, and staying at one of the resorts the night before. The kids accepted have access to a whole lot of info at the website, so I had her print up a lot of it for me, just so I'll know what's going on, too.

We're just so excited!! It took 15 days to get the word, and it got fairly nerve-wracking at the end, lol.

Good luck!!

I'm wondering how soon the CP's can use the resort discount. I have heard that they get 50% off. My husband and I would like to take our daughter down in January and stay for a few days at one of the resorts. Can she get us a discount, or does she have to wait until after she gets started in the program? Do you have to wait until after you are working to make reservations? Any info would be very much appreciated!

have to wait until she gets her ID and is setup with the Disney computer system (the portal). Then she can make reservations online.

She will have to wait until she starts the program before she will be able to utlize the discount. But once she gets it... It is well worth it!

From what I have seen on the Internet, Chatham Square appears to be a little nicer than Vista Way. Any opinions? Do any of the CP appartments have washers and dryers? I thought I read somewhere that one complex has them in each apartment.

There's a big debate about Chatham vs Vista. I personally think that Chatham is nicer. The apartments are newer (so nicer). Both complexes have washers/dryers, but it's the Commons (international) that has them in the rooms. The buses go to both so that's not a problem.

Vista was acquired in 1988, they are quite a bit older than Chatham (built around 2000). Vista has lots of "lakes" with nutria(sp) and ducks and lots of trees and squirrels. Chatham has landscaped trees and bushes. Not a lot of animals around Chatham. Chatham is across the street from Mickey's Retreat, so you have very easy access to those activities and stuff.

Vista is the party complex. Its loud at night, and you can almost always find a party. Better to be at Vista if you're 21 and like to have parties, go to parties, or live with people that have parties. These apartments get trashed a lot. Vista is often referred to as "Vista Lay".

Chatham is quiet, but fun. There are parties and stuff at Chatham, but not loud all night every night parties like Vista. Sometimes people in Chatham are called "Chatham Squares", because they aren't as crazy and drunk as Vista kids.

The Commons is for international and international college program participants. They are the biggest, nicest, and only apartments with w/d in units.

At Vista there are 3 washers and 3 dryers in each building, you share with your building.

At Chatham, there are laundry rooms spread throughout the complex with 10 washers and 10 dryers in each room. You share with whoever wants to use them.

I like Chatham...building 12, chocolatey brown section. Centrally located!

But I have friends in Vista that absolutely love it...never lived there, I can't really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter