The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I was wondering if anyone's seen Shrek? I got a bargain email from Playbill the other day & thought it might be fun to see it.

We saw Shrek and we loved it, it was so much fun. Donkey was excellent!

Last night we saw Celtic Woman at Radio City Music Hall (not a Broadway show, I know) and they were fabulous. This is our 3rd year seeing them on St. Patty's weekend in NYC. We are going back to see them again tonight - when the tickets went on sale we got a little crazy and bought for both nights. If you ever get to see them in person, do it. The show is beautiful. :lovestruc

Broadway dimmed it's lights tonight, for a moment at 8:00 in tribute of Ron Silver, who died earlier this week of cancer.

"Actor Ron Silver, who won a Tony Award as a take-no-prisoners Hollywood producer in David Mamet's "Speed-the-Plow" and did a political about-face from loyal Democrat to Republican activist after the Sept. 11 attacks, died Sunday at the age of 62.

"Ron Silver died peacefully in his sleep with his family around him early Sunday morning" in New York City, said Robin Bronk, executive director of the Creative Coalition, which Silver helped found. "He had been fighting esophageal cancer for two years."

Broadway will probably dim it's lights again tomorrow night for Natasha Richardson. :sad1:

This has been a bad week for losing great Broadway actors. :sad1:

Natasha was getting ready to perform on Broadway with her mom, Vanessa Redgrave in the Sondheim musical, "A Little Night Music".

Broadway dimmed it's lights tonight, for a moment at 8:00 in tribute of Ron Silver, who died earlier this week of cancer.

"Actor Ron Silver, who won a Tony Award as a take-no-prisoners Hollywood producer in David Mamet's "Speed-the-Plow" and did a political about-face from loyal Democrat to Republican activist after the Sept. 11 attacks, died Sunday at the age of 62.

"Ron Silver died peacefully in his sleep with his family around him early Sunday morning" in New York City, said Robin Bronk, executive director of the Creative Coalition, which Silver helped found. "He had been fighting esophageal cancer for two years."

Broadway will probably dim it's lights again tomorrow night for Natasha Richardson. :sad1:

Natasha was getting ready to perform on Broadway with her mom, Vanessa Redgrave in the Sondheim musical, "A Little Night Music".

:sad1:

Trying my luck with TKTS this weekend!! Might try to see Little Mermaid again...I would want to see South Pacific, but it won't be on TKTS I'm pretty sure...

Trying my luck with TKTS this weekend!! Might try to see Little Mermaid again...I would want to see South Pacific, but it won't be on TKTS I'm pretty sure...

Never say never! With the economy iffy, I bet more shows are available than not. Good luck!

West Side Story is back on Broadway. They tried to stay close to the original Jerome Robbins choreography, yet update the show a bit.

I saw a the retrospective, Jerome Robbins on Broadway several years ago and they did most of the dance numbers to WSS. If the choreography is as close as that, this is a show not to be missed live. :dance3:

I've heard that the scenes with just the Puerto Ricans in them will be all in Spanish.

Sad. :sad1:

Finally - someone else who has seen Altar Boyz! :rotfl: I love that show. :thumbsup2

I went to Altar Boyz this past weekend. I had great seats at a great price. The show was so much fun. It is now on my list of favorites. :thumbsup2

I liked Mama Mia, but that was because a friend was in the Broadway show. :cool1:

You had a friend in the show!! Thats neat!! I love Mama Mia!
Did the friend have a major role? Is she still in the show? I'm seeing
it again in april! Can't wait!!:goodvibes

Whoops! I missed this post. :magnify:

My friend was in the emsemble & understudy for one of the fathers. It might have been the Colin Firth role. :hippie:

He also was understudy for the lead in "Ring of Fire" and did get to play it a few times.

He has a brilliant voice. The first time I heard him I said to myself, "That's magic!" :love: :love: That a person can be just standing in front of you in a very ordinary moment, and then start singing Maria, from West Side Story, and transform the moment into pure magic. :teleport: :love:

That's also why I love Broadway & the theatre so much. :love: One moment we're all sitting there - a room of total strangers. Yet we all collectively agree that we're going to collaborate with the people on the other side of the curtain, to turn the place into a magical event for 2 hours. :dance3:

We're going to see HAIR on April 19th. I remember some of the music from the '60's, I can't wait! :flower3: :rockband: :butterfly:daisy: :flower: :hippie: :hippie:

Has anyone seen West Side Story yet? Surprisingly, the reviews have been mixed given that the pre-opening buzz was very strong. DSis is taking me to see it this weekend and I hope we won't be disappointed.

Anyone seen Dirty Dancing yet?:confused: Going this weekend with my daughters dance company here in Boston! :dance3: Wondering if there are any reviews any one wants to share??!!! :confused3
Some of the parents of the dancers in the dance company are also going to see Jersey Boys in September,just the parents though because the girls have no clue:confused3 who the Jersey Boys are so there were no takers!!:lmao: Has any one seen this one?:confused: Wondering if any one had any thoughts on this one too!!??!!:confused3
Thanks in advance!!:flower3:

We spent a few days in NYC last week and saw "Guys and Dolls", "Wicked" and "Jersey Boys".

Guys and Dolls was very disappointing and we had seats in the first row, dead center, which was nice but there was no leg room at all. Personally, I thought Oliver Platt was terrible and very uncomfortable onstage. Lauren Graham wasn't that great either, imo, and played Adelaide like she had tourette's syndrome. The best two in the show were supporting players, Titus Burgess and Mary Testa, both Broadway seasoned veterans.

Wicked was Great! As always! It was our second time seeing it on Broadway and I cried, yet again.:)

Jersey Boys was also great. Jerrod Spector was fantastic as Frankie Valli. I wasn't sure if my 19 yo college daughter would like it or not because she isn't that familiar with the music but it was her favorite show out of the three.

As a side note, we were talking to the people sitting beside us during intermission at G&D's who saw WSS the week before (they live in Queens) and they said it was fantastic.

I am hoping we will get down to the city during the summer, I have to see Billy Elliott!

MsA

We spent a few days in NYC last week and saw "Guys and Dolls", "Wicked" and "Jersey Boys".

Guys and Dolls was very disappointing and we had seats in the first row, dead center, which was nice but there was no leg room at all. Personally, I thought Oliver Platt was terrible and very uncomfortable onstage. Lauren Graham wasn't that great either, imo, and played Adelaide like she had tourette's syndrome. The best two in the show were supporting players, Titus Burgess and Mary Testa, both Broadway seasoned veterans.

Wicked was Great! As always! It was our second time seeing it on Broadway and I cried, yet again.:)

Jersey Boys was also great. Jerrod Spector was fantastic as Frankie Valli. I wasn't sure if my 19 yo college daughter would like it or not because she isn't that familiar with the music but it was her favorite show out of the three.

As a side note, we were talking to the people sitting beside us during intermission at G&D's who saw WSS the week before (they live in Queens) and they said it was fantastic.

I am hoping we will get down to the city during the summer, I have to see Billy Elliott!

MsA

I just saw Guys & Dolls on Wednesday & loved it! I thought Oliver Platt was great. I felt he played Nathan Detroit truer to the original, unlike Sinatra in the movie. Although, I've always had a soft spot for Platt. I enjoyed him most when he was off to the side...he was hysterical! :lmao:

I agree Mary Testa was great...I think she stole the show & she had probably the smallest role. :rolleyes:

I was also disappointed with my seats, we were first row, center mezz & I have never had such an issue with the safety rail in front of us before. I spent the whole show ducking under & over trying to see. It was horrible! Most scenes the rail was blocking their faces. I'm only 5'2" so that probably didn't help, but it was really bad. I'd write a complaint but I don't think it would get me anywhere.

I'm so excited to hear Wicked hasn't lost it's spark, I'm going to see it again next week. I'm really excited! :banana: I could see that show once a week and not get sick of it.

I'm wearing my Wicked sweatshirt as I type =)

I'm seeing Spring Awakening in 31 days! Has anyone seen it (tour cast or b'way)? Any thoughts?

This cast (tour) looks absoultely amazing! I can't wait!

I'm thinking of getting the soundtrack from The Color Purple. Has anyone seen it/heard it?

My U.S. History teacher is trying to get us a decent group rate for when the tour comes here late May! We're reading the book in class, followed by watching the movie, so the musical would be a nice, final thing for us to do :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter