The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by CapeCodTenor, Jan 16, 2009.

1. DVC Kathy

DVC Kathy Mouseketeer

It just popped into my head. I answered, then I looked it up to see if I was right.

I remember watching Liza with a Z with my mother when it was originally on television. I was in high school, so I'm really dating myself here.

I've been interested in musical theater as long as I can remember. I grew up listening to the original cast albums of Guys & Dolls, Brigadoon, and The Music Man.

Kathy

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. The LK 4

The LK 4 <font color=red>Don't make me get out my spoon!<br

Allison - I'm downloading the soundtrack now! :thumbsup2

4. CapeCodTenor

CapeCodTenor <font color=red>Born on a small planet around Alph

That's great! I'm glad this thread helped you. :cool1:

5. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Here's hoping the interior gets a huge rehab...it was more than a little depressing last spring.
    Guys and Dolls will be fun. And you have to see Little Mermaid....visually, it was incredible. I wasn't all that crazy about some of the addtl music, but I guess that's what happens when they add music to something so familiar already.

6. goofy4tink

[[​IMG]
    Kat tries on Anthony's costume during the tour.
    [​IMG]
    Kat doing her trivia, and the judges reactions.
    [​IMG]
    Kat's actual 'For Good' presentation
    [​IMG]
    Kat accepts her 'Master of Good Deeds' certificate after winning the competition...is actually in tears. Then joined in for the singing of 'For Good'.

Just thought I would be a proud mama, and share photos from this weekends events.

7. The LK 4

Great pictures, Diane! Thanks for sharing!

8. Missy1961

Missy1961 Knows who did it and why

Have you guys signed up for notices of discounts? I get different ones all the time from sites like Playbill.com. In fact, I got one today for Hair.

9. The LK 4

I am so bummed. My flight out of Pittsburgh was delayed 2.5 hours, so we arrived too late to see The Marvelous Wonderettes last night. :( Hoping for Avenue Q lottery tickets tonight. :thumbsup2

10. goofy4tink

Good luck with the lottery. That's just a huge pain about your flight.

Missy1961...I get the Playbill notices as well. And also Broadway across America, but that's because we bought a subscription this year.

11. MissMet

MissMet DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blo

I finally got to see Wicked last night- LOVED it! In fact I loved it so much as soon as I got home I bought tickets for my parents to see it...and I guess I'll have to go too. Bummer. :p

It was my friend's birthday so we tried out Ellen's Stardust Dinner for a little fun & it was great. I wouldn't go there for an amazing meal, but for a fun night it was great! The staff is so talented! I don't know why I hadn't ever tried it before.

12. sharonW

sharonW DIS Veteran

Where is this diner?? Is this where the staff
    are would be actors and they sing etc??

13. goofy4tink

1650 Broadway...right on a corner. And yes, the servers all sing and such. We've had breakfast there several times and it's a bit noisy but fun.

14. sharonW

sharonW DIS Veteran

THANKS!! Gona try it out this april! :)

15. DISshopkeeper

DISshopkeeper <font color=green>Had 3 topplings over the years<b

Hey, can we talk some restaurants?

When we go to NYC to see a show, my fave place to eat is Becco, Lidia Bastianich's (she cooks on PBS) place right near the theater dist.

From the web site:

Lidia Bastianich & her son, Joseph, opened Becco in the theater district in 1993. It is best known for its acclaimed $17.95 pre fix lunch menu & $22.95 pre fix dinner menu that includes a large assortment of Italian antipasti or a classic Caesar salad together with unlimited tableside servings of our 3 daily pasta preparations. Becco also offers an extensive a la carte menu including chicken, fish, veal, & pork entrees & a wide selection of Italian wines, all priced at $25.00 per bottle. We also have an extensive reserved wine list with bottles ranging from $30.00 - $2,000.00.

They take reservations and the first question they ask you is "Are you going to the theater?"

16. goofy4tink

My dd now insists on eating at Juniors at least once on each NYC theater trip. It's not my personal favorite though. Hmmm, I don't think I have a personal favorite. Have to work on that.

17. MsAmerica

MsAmerica DIS Veteran

Just wanted to come out of lurker mode to tell you my daughter and I are going to be seeing "Guys and Dolls" and "Jersey Boys" on Broadway next month during Spring Break.

My DD was "Miss Adelaide" last year in G&D in HS, this year she is "Shelley" in "Bat Boy" ( I don't know much about that show but do know it is definitely not a Rodgers and Hammerstein show:) at her college. She loves theater arts even though she is a business major.

Anyway, I have been fortunate to see a lot of great stars through the years. From Yul Brenner in the "King and I" to most recently Fantasia in "The Color Purple" and Clay Aiken in "Spamalot". Mix in about twenty other stars, and I have seen many Broadway legends. However, I would have to say the most phenomenal performance I have seen live was Patti LuPone as Mama Rose in "Gypsy". OMG, she was simply spellbounding. I have never been in a theater before when the audience gave a Standing Ovation in the middle of the show. She was simply fantastic.

I hope G&D's is great, it is one of my favorite all time musicals. If anyone sees it, please post your review. We are going 3/17!

MsA

18. rascalmom

rascalmom <font color=purple>Business trips should include a

You mentioned Hello Dolly! earlier - Tommy Tune played Ambrose in the movie & there are some great dance scenes. Quite a cast....Barbra, Tommy Tune, Michael Crawford, Walter Mathau. All directed by Gene Kelly!

19. swanmom

swanmom <font color=purple>Victoria and Alberts - Hands Do

Hey, I had to post this here for all of my Broadway buddies. Take a look at my post about an amazing honor for my DD............she's doing a Master Class with Marc Shaiman from Hairspray ! All of your Boradway fanatics will really understand why we are so, so excited! WOOOO HOOOO !!:thumbsup2

Here's the whole story:
    http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2082688

20. CapeCodTenor

CapeCodTenor <font color=red>Born on a small planet around Alph

I'd forgotten that Michael Crawford was in that cast.

21. goofy4tink

Congratulations to your dd...what a truly wonderful opportunity for her!!

That's the one movie musical I can watch over and over...so many great actors in it.