The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Sooo... what should we see? We'll be in NYC for two nights (11/12 and 11/13) but are seeing Sylvie Guillem at City Center on 11/13 (a friend is one of the dancers in her tour!). We'll be on our way home from 5 nights at Disney, arriving at LGA at 2:30, so I think we'll easily make an 8pm show. We've seen Wicked (well, DD has), American in Paris, Curious Incident, Chicago, Jersey Boys. I am a sucker for a big musical so would happily go see King and I or Dames at Sea, but Kinky Boots and Matilda also have been recommended- and I'm intrigued by Spring Awakening. I'm hoping to make it to TKTS in time to snag some discounted tickets; any other recommendations for discounted ticket sites?

I see I can join TDF for access to their discounted tickets. Does anyone know what kind of discounts they offer? We only get to NYC once a year (big lie... this'll be my 4th visit this year, DD's 3rd, but usually it's only once a year!) so I don't know if it's worth paying the membership fee. Opinions? Thanks!

ETA: I just saw that Daddy Long Legs is playing. Has anyone seen it or heard anything? Also, has anyone yet seen Hoon Lee as the King in "King and I"? I just discovered that the show is at 7pm at Lincoln Center, not 8pm near Times Square. We should still be able to make this, arriving at LGA at 2:30 and barring complications, shouldn't we? Is the subway an option? I don't think a cab at theater time will make very quick progress!

Last edited:
Sooo... what should we see? We'll be in NYC for two nights (11/12 and 11/13) but are seeing Sylvie Guillem at City Center on 11/13 (a friend is one of the dancers in her tour!). We'll be on our way home from 5 nights at Disney, arriving at LGA at 2:30, so I think we'll easily make an 8pm show. We've seen Wicked (well, DD has), American in Paris, Curious Incident, Chicago, Jersey Boys. I am a sucker for a big musical so would happily go see King and I or Dames at Sea, but Kinky Boots and Matilda also have been recommended- and I'm intrigued by Spring Awakening. I'm hoping to make it to TKTS in time to snag some discounted tickets; any other recommendations for discounted ticket sites?

I see I can join TDF for access to their discounted tickets. Does anyone know what kind of discounts they offer? We only get to NYC once a year (big lie... this'll be my 4th visit this year, DD's 3rd, but usually it's only once a year!) so I don't know if it's worth paying the membership fee. Opinions? Thanks!

ETA: I just saw that Daddy Long Legs is playing. Has anyone seen it or heard anything? Also, has anyone yet seen Hoon Lee as the Kind in "King and I"? I just discovered that the show is at 7pm at Lincoln Center, not 8pm near Times Square. We should still be able to make this, arriving at LGA at 2:30 and barring complications, shouldn't we? Is the subway an option? I don't think a cab at theater time will make very quick progress!

How old are the people in your family? Matilda is wonderful. I only saw Kinky Boots on tour (but had the good fortune to see Billy Porter in it since he's from Pittsburgh), and everyone in our group really enjoyed it. I'm seeing Spring Awakening on Saturday, so I can let you know what I think after that. I'd say Hamilton, Hamilton, HAMILTON!, but you'd have to sell one of your children. ;) As for what's playing now, I've seen Les Mis, Curious Incident, Hamilton, Matilda, Aladdin, Kinky Boots, Fun Home, Lion King (also tour only), Jersey Boys (tour), Wicked (tour and Chicago), Book of Mormon (tour), Phantom of the Opera (tour), and Hand to God. If you have questions about any of them, I'll try to answer.

Oh, and as long as there are no out of the ordinary complications, I would say that you should be able to make the 7:00 show no problem provided you don't have anything significant to do before the show.

How old are the people in your family? Matilda is wonderful. I only saw Kinky Boots on tour (but had the good fortune to see Billy Porter in it since he's from Pittsburgh), and everyone in our group really enjoyed it. I'm seeing Spring Awakening on Saturday, so I can let you know what I think after that. I'd say Hamilton, Hamilton, HAMILTON!, but you'd have to sell one of your children. ;) As for what's playing now, I've seen Les Mis, Curious Incident, Hamilton, Matilda, Aladdin, Kinky Boots, Fun Home, Lion King (also tour only), Jersey Boys (tour), Wicked (tour and Chicago), Book of Mormon (tour), Phantom of the Opera (tour), and Hand to God. If you have questions about any of them, I'll try to answer.

Oh, and as long as there are no out of the ordinary complications, I would say that you should be able to make the 7:00 show no problem provided you don't have anything significant to do before the show.

I'm traveling with my only child, DD22, and I suspect she'd have something to say about being sold! :rotfl2: I haven't been following Broadway shows so Hamilton came as a surprise to me, but it would be my first choice IF tickets were available and affordable (did I mention this is stop on the way HOME from Disney- Food and Wine, MVMCP :santa:?). I'm afraid Hamilton will be on my "Wicked" and "Lion King" list; something I'd LOVE to see but can't afford right now! Right now I'm leaning towards "King and I" because I am a sucker for a classic musical and DD is a dancer, so she should enjoy it, too. I'd be interested in knowing what you think of Spring Awakening. Everything I've read about the story line makes it sound like it's going to be a lot of teen angst, so I'm interested in knowing what people think about it (other than it was wonderful) and why.

I'm traveling with my only child, DD22, and I suspect she'd have something to say about being sold! :rotfl2: I haven't been following Broadway shows so Hamilton came as a surprise to me, but it would be my first choice IF tickets were available and affordable (did I mention this is stop on the way HOME from Disney- Food and Wine, MVMCP :santa:?). I'm afraid Hamilton will be on my "Wicked" and "Lion King" list; something I'd LOVE to see but can't afford right now! Right now I'm leaning towards "King and I" because I am a sucker for a classic musical and DD is a dancer, so she should enjoy it, too. I'd be interested in knowing what you think of Spring Awakening. Everything I've read about the story line makes it sound like it's going to be a lot of teen angst, so I'm interested in knowing what people think about it (other than it was wonderful) and why.

I saw Spring Awakening last night and I found the production beautiful. The signing and incorporation of the deaf actors really made it a special production. However the show is still the same show, and I think it's not for everyone. The plot is fine and the music is good but I could see how it's not a fit for everyone.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to see Hamilton only because I bought my tickets last May. They were still expensive but NOTHING like they cost now (for point of reference, my exact seats now cost $200 more per ticket than when I bought them. It was about a $100% markup!). I would love to see the King and I but just haven't prioritized it on any of my trips yet. I think Kelli O'Hara is just exquisite. That would definitely be a solid choice.

I did see Spring Awakening on tour (and oh, boy, YES on the teen angst!). It is a catalogue of human pain but I love the music and was very touched by the story. This particular production is by Deaf West, though, so it's a different (and, I'm told, more beautiful) animal. The principal cast is deaf or hard of hearing, and they are voiced by hearing actors. It adds a resonance to the isolation themes that I figured would either be gimmicky or gorgeous. From what I'm hearing from trusted sources, it's firmly in the realm of gorgeous. It's far from happy, though, so it could ruin a Disney buzz. ;)

P.S. My daughter (13) is opposed to me selling her in order to see Hamilton again, too....

I saw Spring Awakening last night and I found the production beautiful. The signing and incorporation of the deaf actors really made it a special production. However the show is still the same show, and I think it's not for everyone. The plot is fine and the music is good but I could see how it's not a for for everyone.

I am ridiculously excited to see this on Saturday. I just feel so fortunate to have the opportunity. I'm so glad to hear you loved it, too!

Spring Awakening goes far beyond "teen angst" and I think this production does a lovely job at capturing that. The story is more about not being heard or understood. It is wrapped in teen angst but you can find yourself feeling like one of the characters thinking about a time you desperately wanted to be heard or seen or when you wanted answers and it just didn't work out. That being said the more crass nature of Spring Awakening may not be for everyone.

I love Kinky Boots but my fiance is only so-so on it. I love the production value and story. He on the other hand thought it was nothing special and just an okay musical.

I adore Matilda but haven't been back in about a year because the last time we went the audience was full of school children who had never seen a musical before. They were yelling and causing a commotion the whole time. I'm not against productions giving tickets to school and groups or encouraging them but I also think you should learn to behave at the theater since being on your phone, having conversations, or just being loud can disturb others and even the actors on stage.

I've heard the King and I just isn't worth it if Kellie O'Hara isn't in. I can never bring myself to go see a production when that is what I'm being told. I'm a big believe that no one person should be carrying a show like that.

Has anyone used TiqIQ for discount tickets? The Radio City Christmas Spectacular opens with a 2:30 show on the full day we are in NYC, so I'm thinking about going (DD is a dancer, did 2 summer programs with the Rockettes) but I'd love to get a discount on the tickets!

I think we are going to see Spring Awakening on Thursday evening and will go see Sylvie Guillam on Friday evening to see DD's friend dance. He is so amazing! Then home Saturday on an 8am flight out of EWR so DD can make it to Nutcracker dress rehearsal by noon- the next weekend they open for 10 shows!

Not sure if this is the right thread to put this on BUT I'm so excited!

My DD high school choir has been chosen to sing at Carnegie Hall on Dec. 4th with Sarah McLachlan, Ioan Gruffuld, Zachary Levy, the American Christmas Carol Choir and Montclair State University Orchestra. They are so excited! Rehearsals have already started. It's going to be a long day for them on Dec. 4th since the bus is picking them up at 7 am so that they can be at Carnegie by 9 am for an all-day rehearsal with all the performers before the performance at 8pm.

I've heard the King and I just isn't worth it if Kellie O'Hara isn't in. I can never bring myself to go see a production when that is what I'm being told. I'm a big believe that no one person should be carrying a show like that.

I've seen The King and I a few times - all with Kelli and I have to say that while at the beginning of the run, she was great.. I've not enjoyed how her performance has evolved. That being said, the show is still grand and GORGEOUS. With Kelli or not, the show is still worth checking out. I have not seen Hoon Lee yet, but I've heard some very excellent things about his performances so far.

Matilda was cute the first time... didn't love it the second time around. I haven't seen it since 2014, so I'm not sure how the show is holding up.

I've seen The King and I a few times - all with Kelli and I have to say that while at the beginning of the run, she was great.. I've not enjoyed how her performance has evolved. That being said, the show is still grand and GORGEOUS. With Kelli or not, the show is still worth checking out. I have not seen Hoon Lee yet, but I've heard some very excellent things about his performances so far.

Matilda was cute the first time... didn't love it the second time around. I haven't seen it since 2014, so I'm not sure how the show is holding up.

Will have to give it a shot especially as we are in the doen season for a few more weeks.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I just loved it. Loved it. I thought it was so gorgeous. It was funny--we saw Hamilton in the afternoon, and I cried through a bunch of Act II. I took tissues to Spring Awakening because I KNOW it's a catalogue of human pain, but it was a sorrow too deep for tears. I loved every second of the choreography and was shattered by the cast at points. The adults were somewhat caricatures, but that's a book issue not a performance issue. We were a group of 5, and every one of us was riveted and moved by it.

I would agree with you about Matilda. I really like the story (love the book) and enjoyed the show both times but definitely thought it considerably better the first time I saw it (July 2013). We saw it again Easter weekend of 2014. Still liked it but it was not near what I felt the first time.

Has anyone used TiqIQ for discount tickets? The Radio City Christmas Spectacular opens with a 2:30 show on the full day we are in NYC, so I'm thinking about going (DD is a dancer, did 2 summer programs with the Rockettes) but I'd love to get a discount on the tickets!

I think we are going to see Spring Awakening on Thursday evening and will go see Sylvie Guillam on Friday evening to see DD's friend dance. He is so amazing! Then home Saturday on an 8am flight out of EWR so DD can make it to Nutcracker dress rehearsal by noon- the next weekend they open for 10 shows!

I hope you enjoy Spring Awakening if you go. I really loved it. As a dancer, your daughter may be interested in the choreography for that show. It's not complicated dancing per se, but what goes into choreographing a show with deaf actors is fascinating. And I found the results visually stunning.

ETA: I just saw that Daddy Long Legs is playing. Has anyone seen it or heard anything? Also, has anyone yet seen Hoon Lee as the King in "King and I"? I just discovered that the show is at 7pm at Lincoln Center, not 8pm near Times Square. We should still be able to make this, arriving at LGA at 2:30 and barring complications, shouldn't we? Is the subway an option? I don't think a cab at theater time will make very quick progress!

For cheap tickets I'd highly recommend the TodayTix app. You can buy your tickets a few days in advance (so no last minute rush) and then just have to meet a representative near the theatre before the show (they'll send you an email with all the details). You don't know the exact location of your seats when you purchase; instead you're told the general area and what seats other people have got recently (I had excellent seats when I used them). Plus, you can get a discount off your first purchase - it used to be $20 but I heard they were changing it to $10, so not too sure - if you go on the broadway.com forum you'll find a thread with people listing their discount codes for it (I gather they get points in exchange for people using their codes).

As for the show, I loved Kinky Boots! It was my second favourite show (of 6) of our trip last year...and If/Then had an unfair advantage with Idina! Billy Porter is absolutely amazing and he is finally leaving the show on 11/20, so I think it would be well worth seeing it while he's there.

Matilda was my least favourite show of the trip - Matilda had a very strange accent (an odd blend of English and American - a directorial decision from what I've heard and not the fault of the actor) and it was very hard to understand her and the whole cast seemed sluggish (it was the day after Thanksgiving though). I will be giving it a second chance when it comes to Melbourne. However, I don't think there are any must-see cast members and I doubt the show is going anywhere soon and there is a touring production, so if there are shows with short runs, etc. that you'd like to see I think I'd go for one of those.

Spring Awakening looks amazing and is a limited run, so would definitely be worth seeing.

I would also throw Something Rotten into the mix - I'm dying to see it! It's very funny, with lots of witty references to other musicals and has good dancing for your daughter (including tap!).

Will have to give it a shot especially as we are in the doen season for a few more weeks.

Please do! I've heard really great things about Kelli's new understudy Analisa Deaming. I haven't seen her, but word on the street is that with either Kelli or Analisa as Anna, you're in good hands!

If you live in the NYC area and get the PBS Channel 13 (WNET,) they will be showing the stage production of Billy Elliot, the Musical, on Great Performances tomorrow from 1-4 pm. (It premiered tonight, but I missed it.)

If you aren't local, it might be showing on your own PBS station too, if it didn't air tonight and you already missed it too. :(

You can do a search here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Great+Performances+Billy+Elliot

And on Sunday, Great Performances will show the stage production of Driving Miss Daisy, with Angela Lansbury & James Earl Jones, from 12:30 - 2:00 pm.

Haven't watched yet but I have Billy Elliot on my PVR'd. I got it off the PBS Detroit channel.

Driving Miss Daisy is an encore. I saw it in the summer.

I have Billy Elliot on Blu Ray. I had to buy it from Amazon UK because they don't sell it here. It is amazing!! I sobbed just as hard as I did the times we saw it live.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter