The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Rebeccam31 -

Gentleman's Guide was good... my main issue was the score. VERY wordy, and not very memorable - but it did work in context. The story, staging and the physical production (even the use of the video screen - which i usually hate - didn't bother me) were all first-rate.

And yes, I've not heard ANYTHING good about Amazing Grace from anyone I've spoken to, but I try to see everything I can. I'm a big believer in you've- got-to-see-the-bad-to-appreciate-the-good. Although I've enjoyed/loved some things that did not do well, for example:The Bridges of Madison County.

I have heard many of the songs, and based on just hearing them out of context I would agree. They are indeed not memorable, and, to my mind, not even terribly melodic. Still, I'm happy enough to give it a chance. And apparently you should be friends with my friends, because they have all also told me that they loved Bridges (which is also coming as part of our tour season this year). They raved about the music in particular. I trust them, so I'll give it a go. But MAN did I hate that book... (side note: I had the good fortune to meet Kelli O'Hara because her good friend Megan Osterhaus was in a show here in Pennsylvania last summer with my daughter. What a lovely person she was!)

I am currently holding tickets for Spring Awakening, as I said. And I am ridiculously excited for it. I am also scheming to try to get back to see Hamilton again (perhaps from a different vantage point--SO MUCH goes on that I couldn't decide where to rest my eyes!), but I don't think I can make that happen until May. :/

I'm so happy to hear that you're giving Bridges a chance! The show is great... one of the best scores in recent years. Kelli and Steven were absolutely incredible in the show - their voices soared! I loved the show so much I'm thinking about planning a road trip to catch the tour next spring. Andrew Samonsky and Elizabeth Stanley have a lot to live-up to. I've seen them both in a few a things, but I've still got my fingers crossed!

Kelli is pretty fantastic in anything - although I'm glad she won a TONY this year; it should have been for Bridges instead of King and I. Have you seen her in The King and I? I'll never forget seeing her in Nice Work If You Can Get It - when she started singing "Someone to Watch Over Me" it was as if the entire audience stopped breathing and leaned forward to hang on every word she sang. The same thing happened at The King and I - during "Hello, Young Lovers." It was as if time stopped. GORGEOUS beyond words.

If anyone reading this hasn't seen the current revival of The King and I... do yourself a favor and see it!

I'm hoping to catch Spring Awakening soon - possibly this week. I didn't love the show when it was originally on broadway, but I did get to do the show about three years ago, and it completely changed my mind. Very much looking forward to this revival.

I'm so happy to hear that you're giving Bridges a chance! The show is great... one of the best scores in recent years. Kelli and Steven were absolutely incredible in the show - their voices soared! I loved the show so much I'm thinking about planning a road trip to catch the tour next spring. Andrew Samonsky and Elizabeth Stanley have a lot to live-up to. I've seen them both in a few a things, but I've still got my fingers crossed!

Kelli is pretty fantastic in anything - although I'm glad she won a TONY this year; it should have been for Bridges instead of King and I. Have you seen her in The King and I? I'll never forget seeing her in Nice Work If You Can Get It - when she started singing "Someone to Watch Over Me" it was as if the entire audience stopped breathing and leaned forward to hang on every word she sang. The same thing happened at The King and I - during "Hello, Young Lovers." It was as if time stopped. GORGEOUS beyond words.

If anyone reading this hasn't seen the current revival of The King and I... do yourself a favor and see it!

I'm hoping to catch Spring Awakening soon - possibly this week. I didn't love the show when it was originally on broadway, but I did get to do the show about three years ago, and it completely changed my mind. Very much looking forward to this revival.

My friends honestly haven't steered me wrong yet, so I'm optimistic. ;) I haven't seen King and I--in fact, I've never seen Kelli O'Hara in anything. Just shook her hand and shared a few pleasantries. I'm ashamed to say that when I met her I didn't know who she was. I knew she was a theater actor but I had no idea she was KELLI FREAKIN' O'HARA! Some of the other actors clued me in after the fact. My daughter and I were delighted when she won the Tony and extra delighted when she mentioned Megan in her speech.

I've only seen Spring Awakening with the touring company (my trips to New York are a fairly recent thing) about 5ish years ago. I liked it a great deal, though it unsettled me. My trusted friend saw the Deaf West version of Big River and thought it beautiful, so my hopes are definitely high. If you do see it in the near future, please post your thoughts. I don't see it until October 17.

Rebeccam31 -

Gentleman's Guide was good... my main issue was the score. VERY wordy, and not very memorable - but it did work in context. The story, staging and the physical production (even the use of the video screen - which i usually hate - didn't bother me) were all first-rate.

And yes, I've not heard ANYTHING good about Amazing Grace from anyone I've spoken to, but I try to see everything I can. I'm a big believer in you've- got-to-see-the-bad-to-appreciate-the-good. Although I've enjoyed/loved some things that did not do well, for example:The Bridges of Madison County.

We really did enjoy Amazing Grace. We are fans of Josh Young - gorgeous voice.

We went to the first preview of The King & I. Kelli O'Hara was stunning. She was absolutely wonderful. The king was very handsome, but his diction was TERRIBLE! During intermission, the whole lobby was taking about how they couldn't understand a word he was saying! I'd like to see it again with the new actor.

I'd recommend Something Rotten if you like a comedy and enjoy Shakespeare. It was hilarious. DD did a lot of Shakespeare in school, so we really appreciated the wit. I told Christian Borle he definitely earned his Tony!

Last edited:
We really did enjoy Amazing Grace. We are fans of Josh Young - gorgeous voice.

We went to the first preview of The King & I. Kelli O'Hara was stunning. She was absolutely wonderful. The king was very handsome, but his diction was TERRIBLE! During intermission, the whole lobby was taking about how they couldn't understand a word he was saying! I'd like to see it again with the new actor.

I'd recommend Something Rotten if you like a comedy and enjoy Shakespeare. It was hilarious. DD did a lot of Shakespeare in school, so we really appreciated the wit. I told Christian Borle he definitely earned his Tony!

I remember reading that you really liked Amazing Grace. I didn't see it, and now it's pretty much assured that I won't unless it tours. My friend was watching it at the same time we were in Curious Incident, and he texted at intermission saying that the only reason he was staying at the show was so he could meet up with us after (he lives in Queens). He hated it *that* much. It's funny and wonderful how different people's reactions to shows can be.

My daughter DESPERATELY wants to see Something Rotten (and I am not opposed). We might go see it in May if I manage to make it back for another Hamilton viewing. Glad to hear you liked it so well! (My daughter has "A Musical" on her iTunes. Her friends at school are a bit at a loss... )

Something Rotten is great fun - especially for theatre fans. It's nothing revolutionary - but a great time for sure! It's great to see an original story on Broadway and not something based on a movie.

I've been able to see both Kings - Ken Watanabe (in March) and the current king, Jose Llana (in August). Ken Watanabe had some trouble with the english language. When I saw the show in March I had to pay close attention, but I was able to understand everything he said. Jose was much easier to understand and better vocals (though it's not really a singing role), but had no where near the commanding presence that Ken had. Jose gave a very solid performance, but overall I preferred Ken. We get our third king soon on the 29th of this month when Hoon Lee inherits the throne. Can't wait to make a third visit!

Something Rotten is great fun - especially for theatre fans. It's nothing revolutionary - but a great time for sure! It's great to see an original story on Broadway and not something based on a movie.

I've been able to see both Kings - Ken Watanabe (in March) and the current king, Jose Llana (in August). Ken Watanabe had some trouble with the english language. When I saw the show in March I had to pay close attention, but I was able to understand everything he said. Jose was much easier to understand and better vocals (though it's not really a singing role), but had no where near the commanding presence that Ken had. Jose gave a very solid performance, but overall I preferred Ken. We get our third king soon on the 29th of this month when Hoon Lee inherits the throne. Can't wait to make a third visit!

Musicals based on movies (specifically 80s movies) is my current pet peeve. My friends and I have a collection of inside jokes based on that.

You see a lot of theater! I am quite jealous. My friend Ryan also sees everything (sometimes with the help of Equity tickets). He gets frustrated when the Tonys roll around and there's something he hasn't seen (rarely happens...). Are you like that?

I have to say that in my little rural town I am the only person I know with a consuming interest in theater (though I have some friends that go to shows with me and also love it a great deal). It's very nice to have a place to talk to people that are obviously as crazy as I am... :upsidedow

Is anyone planning to see the revival of "Fiddler on the Roof"? It isn't opening until January, but I was wondering because a good friend of ours is performing in the orchestra, her first broadway show. We're so excited for her!

Is anyone planning to see the revival of "Fiddler on the Roof"? It isn't opening until January, but I was wondering because a good friend of ours is performing in the orchestra, her first broadway show. We're so excited for her!

Seeing it and my fiance may actually be investing in it.

I hope the announce how to sponsor classrooms for Hamilton. I know the writer tweeted about putting something together. I would pitch in to get high school classes in to see the show.

I hope the announce how to sponsor classrooms for Hamilton. I know the writer tweeted about putting something together. I would pitch in to get high school classes in to see the show.

I have no idea how that works, but I would love to see that happen as well. So much value in it. Wish I could afford to take all my theater kids...

They are working on something to bring schoolkids to see it. Lin-Manuel Miranda tweeted about it just recently, and I read in the NY Times that the producers are planning some sort of program for schools.

They are working on something to bring schoolkids to see it. Lin-Manuel Miranda tweeted about it just recently, and I read in the NY Times that the producers are planning some sort of program for schools.

Yeah that's the tweet I was referencing. Wasn't sure if there was going to be a way to help fund classes to go. Just waiting on more information. It would be nice if they just gave a few seats to the classes. They are making money hand over fist so 20 tickets once a week wouldn't hurt their bottom line that much.

Thoughts on the Mother/son with Autism incident this week at The King and I?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter