• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

In response to Avenue Q closing, only the US tour and west end are closing. West End is closing in March and the tour is closing in May.

There are no plans yet to close it on Broadway.

I've seen:

Beauty and the Beast (3 times)
The Lion King (gorgeous!)
Wicked (2 times)
Dr. Dolittle (with Tommy Tune)
Peter Pan (Cathy Rigby's farwell tour)
The Phantom of the Opera (so beautiful)
Rent (I cried!)
Legally Blonde (National tour--opened here)
Mamma Mia! (pretty good)
Chicago! (front row!)
Oliver! (I was pretty young, so I didn't really "get" it)
Cats (strange...very strange...but good!)

As my ticker says, I'm seeing the Spring Awakening tour in April! I absoultely cannot wait. I also hope to (one day) see Avenue Q. I deeply regret that I could not see Hairspray before it closed. I must say my favorite is Wicked (in terms of staging, music, and costumes). That may change when I see Spring Awakening, though! I also adore Rent. (Anthony Rapp is my favorite actor!)

I've seen Betty Buckley in Sunset Blvd, that was cool. .
I got to perform on stage with Betty Buckley My director( director, voice teacher,family friend) knows Betty and asked her to come down and do a concert in Southeastern MA a few years ago. She did a master class and a concert and we got to since on stage with her! She was so nice. She signed autographed and stayed until everyone got one.

We also had Shirley Jones come and perform when we did Music Man. She was in her trailer and snuck inside to listen. Someone pulled the fire alarm and we had to stop the show. After they let us all back in, she came out and said hi and watched another 15 minutes of the show...

I have pictures of both if anyone is interested....

BTW HI dklam I Knew al was here but I didnt know you were too....Its a small word....its Danielle from H2H!

Cool! In the Heights also has a lottery. I have no idea how it works, but there was a crowd of people waiting for it in the box office when I picked up the tickets last week. Might be a good option if TKTS doesn't have it.

Alex was terrific. I first saw the show with the original Wendla, Lea Michele, who was also very good, but I know they made some changes when the show moved from Off-B'way to B'way, and I think Lea brought a lot of the Off-Bway version of the character to her performance. Alex seemed like a much different take on the character. And her version of "Whispering" was beautiful.

Yep, we're going to try the lottery, also student rush for the ones dd can get two tickets with one ID. I'm sure we'll see something.

And I heard the scene with the evil toys was actually toned down from the London production. I've read the cast didn't like it much either. The consensus was that the scene should be cut, but Cameron Mackintosh was a fan, so the scene stayed.

Parts of the show were great, and I definitely enjoyed it (especially "Super..."), but I'll take the movie over the show any day.

I loved MP on B-way (saw it twice in 8 weeks). And the movie is consistently in my top ten movie list! I'm glad they didn't cut that scene, I liked it and really enjoy "Temper Temper."

Loved Spamalot. Hilarious!!!!
Thought Legally Blonde was cute...I did enjoy it.
Thought the staging at The Little Mermaid was ingenious.

As far as "classics": Hello Dolly and My Fair Lady.

I got to perform on stage with Betty Buckley My director( director, voice teacher,family friend) knows Betty and asked her to come down and do a concert in Southeastern MA a few years ago. She did a master class and a concert and we got to since on stage with her! She was so nice. She signed autographed and stayed until everyone got one.

We also had Shirley Jones come and perform when we did Music Man. She was in her trailer and snuck inside to listen. Someone pulled the fire alarm and we had to stop the show. After they let us all back in, she came out and said hi and watched another 15 minutes of the show...

I have pictures of both if anyone is interested....

That's totally cool. I would have loved to perform with her on stage.

We truly enjoyed Lion King! Especially the second act! Pure Disney, great voices!

You know, I still have yet to see Lion King. I need to get there at some point.

View from the upper floor of the Minskoff

615a612d.jpg

31f8052a.jpg

Though I probably wouldn't see this again, unlike Les Mis and Miss Saigon which I saw numerous times, it is also one not to miss. Endless Nights and He lives in You brought tears to my eyes. Great performances.

Hakuna Matata!

Sharon, you will have a wonderful time!

View from the upper floor of the Minskoff

615a612d.jpg

31f8052a.jpg

Though I probably wouldn't see this again, unlike Les Mis and Miss Saigon which I saw numerous times, it is also one not to miss. Endless Nights and He lives in You brought tears to my eyes. Great performances.

Hakuna Matata!

Sharon, you will have a wonderful time!

THANKS!!::yes:: I'm excited, it should be a great family
day, and a Disney one at that!!!:flower3:

Oh and I added a photo of Grand Central Station to my sig. :goodvibes

since we watched the train pull away and had to wait a half hour.:rolleyes:

So I'm poking around Youtube during lunch and came across a video of Tommy Tune and Ann Reinking performing "Just in Time," and can I just that Tommy Tune can dance. Ok, I know he's a dancer, but I've never seen him dance before and he moves so gracefully across the stage.

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW8YdB66O7s

Anyone seen Billy Elliot?? If so,
how did you like it.:)

I saw it in London. We liked it so much we went back the next night and saw it again. And we ended up seeing mostly a whole new cast the 2nd time, since there are multiple actors playing the kids in the show and a lot of the adult cast changed as well.

It's a great show. The boy playing Billy has at least 4 major dance sequences in the show, and they are all fantastic. The "angry dance" that ends Act 1 and the arial ballet in Act 2 were the main reasons I wanted to see it again!

The movie is one of my favorites, and I thought they did a great job adapting it to the stage. My sister saw the Broadway version, and she said it was fantastic.

Here's the finale of Angry Dance - just incredible! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4foXk4hhbk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter