The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by CapeCodTenor, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Metsfan520

Metsfan520 DIS Veteran

I saw that show too! Brent was awesome. I saw it twice, the second time he wasn't in it anymore, but it was still great. That is one of my favorite movies--my sisters & I know every word of every song. In fact, when I saw it the second time, I went with 2 of my 3 sisters. We had a blast.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Zip-A-Dee-Lady

Zip-A-Dee-Lady True Ukrainian Dancer

I'm jealous! I want to see Shrek! (well, it's more like I want to stage-door it, lol)

4. CapeCodTenor

CapeCodTenor <font color=red>Born on a small planet around Alph

I got lucky because I bought my tickets on a whim and it turned out to be his last weekend. I guess he was leaving to go film the next Star Strek movie, which I don't remember.

5. CapeCodTenor

Ok, I got a trivia question for everyone: We all know who played the title role in the original B'way version of Hello Dolly. However, who played the title role in the original movie version of Hello Dolly?

6. JenM

JenM DIS Veteran

Excellent point. I like to think the musicals of this generation were inspired by the musicals of the past generation. Today's composers were brought up on musicals of the past. Now they get to put their own spin on the genre.

And there were plenty of "flash in the pan" musicals in years past, it would be silly to assume that older musicals were all classics. Musicals appeal to people in many different ways to many different people, it's not just people brought up on the classics.

That sounds like a great program! :thumbsup2

Oh, I saw it with my mom. She loved it - she actually went back and saw it again.

And I saw it for the 2nd time last month - Alex Socha was terrific!

I'm seeing In The Heights on Friday, I can't wait. Got discounts from Playbill, and I've been assured the rear mezz seats are fine. There are way too many empty theaters on Broadway right now, that's for sure.

It's not on discounts, but if you get a chance to see Billy Elliot, I definitely recommend it (I think that the 3rd time I've posted about this show here, I'm definitely the BE shill). But I loved it in London, the B'way production is supposed to be terrific.

Have fun!

7. CapeCodTenor

Let's hope that this lasts only for a short period of time.

8. JenM

JenM DIS Veteran

Me too. I saw Spring Awakening last month and the theater was so empty the usher basically told us we could sit wherever we wanted. The show was half-empty.

Then a week later I saw Jersey Boys and there wasn't a seat left to be had and a cancellation line going out the door of the box office. So there are obviously shows still doing very well. And I think they'll continue to do well since there are now fewer choices - it just makes the demand for the remaining shows higher.

I'd love to see Avenue Q survive this - I think it's the perfect cure if you're feeling down about the recent economic woes (despite what the Mary Poppins commercials are saying!).

9. Missy1961

Missy1961 Knows who did it and why

Barbra Streisand?

10. Missy1961

I found Mary Poppins to be a bit dark myself. Not depressing dark, but not as happy & light as the movie.

11. CapeCodTenor

I thought Avenue Q was closing? At least that's what I had heard late last year, not that I'm complaining, because I love the show.

You are correct.

12. JenM

JenM DIS Veteran

I liked the movie so much better. I thought bringing in all the parents' problems dragged the show down too much - it felt like Mary Poppins was just a supporting character. Burt was the best part of the show.

13. JenM

JenM DIS Veteran

Nope, no closing notice yet. There are plenty of rumors floating around though. I think with all the shows that closed it may have gotten a reprieve - it's one of the few shows left to see!

And I know they just officially updated one of the lines in "For Now" (anyone who saw the show - you know the line I'm talking about ;) ) and they held a contest to change the line, so it looks they had at least no recent plans to close it.

14. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

We're going to see if we can get In The Heights for Friday night!!! We don't get into the city until about 4:30, so hopefully, tkts will have some for that show. Dd's friend is going down to the SoHo area for a haircut..rather than tag along, I figured dd and I could see something. She is begging for In The Heights. How funny.
    I'm thrilled to hear such good reports about Alex. She was a great kid. She was always so pleasant to have around..not a pain like so many of the other girls. Her mom played Grace in our last production of Annie. Mom then went on to play Dolly the next year.
    Here's hoping she can go on to other great stuff.
    So...let's see...hopefully Into The Heights tomorrow night, Wicked on Sat afternoon, and not sure what on Sat night.....whatever tkts has for us...always fun.

15. Missy1961

Me too. I did enjoy parts of the show, especially "Super.......". But the scene with the kids & the toys just seemed so scary, and the stuff with the father's old nanny was nasty. I know it's closer to the books, but I adore that movie. I felt let down a bit by the play.

16. Missy1961

Do I win a prize? :rotfl:

Thanks for this thread, I love having a positive thread to come to on a dreary day. And it's making the CB a nicer place!

17. JenM

JenM DIS Veteran

Cool! In the Heights also has a lottery. I have no idea how it works, but there was a crowd of people waiting for it in the box office when I picked up the tickets last week. Might be a good option if TKTS doesn't have it.

Alex was terrific. I first saw the show with the original Wendla, Lea Michele, who was also very good, but I know they made some changes when the show moved from Off-B'way to B'way, and I think Lea brought a lot of the Off-Bway version of the character to her performance. Alex seemed like a much different take on the character. And her version of "Whispering" was beautiful.

18. JenM

JenM DIS Veteran

And I heard the scene with the evil toys was actually toned down from the London production. I've read the cast didn't like it much either. The consensus was that the scene should be cut, but Cameron Mackintosh was a fan, so the scene stayed.

Parts of the show were great, and I definitely enjoyed it (especially "Super..."), but I'll take the movie over the show any day.

19. Linzybrooke

Linzybrooke DIS Veteran

Can I just say that I love this thread! And I live a bit vicariously through those of you who are close enough to get to Broadway regularly. The only show I have actually seen on Broadway was Phantom, and I actually wasn't a huge fan.

When I grew up in Minneapolis we went to the theatre all the time, they have great playhouses up there, and incredible enrichment opportunities with touring houses and local theatres like The Guthrie and Theatre de la June Lune (which I know I spelled wrong). There is not nearly the same kind of theatre culture in Dallas, and the playhouse here is horrible! But, they are building a new one so I'm hoping for a change!

I am so jealous of those of you that have been able to see Spring Awakening!

20. Missy1961

Maybe we need a Dis meet at a Broadway show!

21. CapeCodTenor

See above in red for my response.

I'm glad you like it. And as I said above, let's keep this thread going. We all like theater, so this can be a place where we can all meet and talk about it.

That would be cool. Wanna plan it?