The best thing I ever ate... WDW style!

This is easy. On our last trip we stayed at AKL and went to Jiko for our last night. We all got a little dressed up and took a few pics around the resort before dinner. We had friends who had just returned and insisted that Jiko had the best Mac and cheese that came with the filet. I was disappointed when I saw that it wasn't on the menu, they had ride, I think, instead. When I mentioned it to the server, he said that so many people still order it regularly that you can still get it even without it being on the menu. MMMMM. Sooo good!!! It was so rich that I had to eat it really slowly and sip my Cabernet slowly in between. And it went to so well with the filet that was also pretty amazing! But that Mac and cheese was heaven!!! Oh, how I hope I can still get it when I go in September!!! Does anyone know if they still have it?

More favorites!!

This may be a weird one, but I was never a fan of grits until I had these at the Wave breakfast buffet, absolutely amazing (if you ever thought grits could be:lmao:...

Full Review of The Wave breakfast

FF's Chardonnay-steamed Martha's Vineyard Mussels - the best mussels ANYWHERE!!! ...the sauce is just heaven!!!

Full Review of FF

AGREE those grits were amazing......was so in awe of the yumminess!

The mushroom soup at Boma. Followed by the roasted corn soup at Boma. Followed by the coconut curry seafood soup at Boma. Followed by.... I think I'm stuck in a loop. I adore soup and Boma rocks my world.

A close second and third would be the mac & cheese at Jiko and the dark chocolate sea salt caramel at Karamell Kuche.

The mushroom soup at Boma. Followed by the roasted corn soup at Boma. Followed by the coconut curry seafood soup at Boma. Followed by.... I think I'm stuck in a loop. I adore soup and Boma rocks my world.

DH and I were chatting about this and we both agreed on these two:

The Chicken & Corn Chowder at Boma. Until the first moment we laid lips on that amazing stuff we always thought of soup as kind of meh...as a place holder while you waited for the REAL part of the meal. But holy heck that first taste made us total believers in the power of soup. I wish I could crawl into the pot and live there!

My favorite is the Chicken & Corn Chowder at Boma. And I'm NOT a soup person! :rotfl:

Honorable mention has to go to the sushi at California Grill. Many, many years ago my husband and I ate there and had some sort of "chef's choice" platter. I had detested sushi before that night, but what I had that evening changed everything. Every piece was amazing.

Best thing I ever ate at WDW is the beef short ribs at Citrico's. Holy Oh-Em-Gee!!!!! They were phenomenal. :thumbsu

THIS! There was also a soup there that I was OMG about as much as the mushroom soup at Artist Point (which is also OMG).

Bumpety bump!

This thread has been awesome, everyone's giving me ideas for things to try when I go back to WDW later this year!

Ma's Fried Chicken at Hoop Dee Do Review. There's nothing better than having a metal bucket of fried chicken literally dropped in front of you!

Ma's Fried Chicken at Hoop Dee Do Review. There's nothing better than having a metal bucket of fried chicken literally dropped in front of you!

I think the fried chicken at the Trails End buffet is the same chicken but sadly without the bucket.

BBQ pulled pork spring rolls from WCC.
For dessert, it is Ohana's Banana Bread pudding with banana fosters sauce.

I think our best meals have been at Jiko but for some reason the thing that stands out in my mind is a breakfast sandwich from Sunshine Seasons. It had pork of some kind and egg I think? I don't even know what it was called but I keep swearing I'll go back and get it again. I haven't yet.
I think it was good, and I was starving and it hit the spot. Weird after all of the TS meals I've had at Disney that it's a breakfast sandwich that stands out!

THIS! There was also a soup there that I was OMG about as much as the mushroom soup at Artist Point (which is also OMG).

Thanks for reminding me, AP's mushroom soup, my top choice of soups for sure!!
ap-port-mushroom-soup-zoom.jpg

My contender is Cold Fried Chicken at Aunt Polly's Dockside diner on Tom Sawyer Island. It was the kind of fried chicken that was made to be eaten cold, with breading that stayed crispish even when chilled and was just the right mix of salty and peppery. I have a feeling it was made all the better by the setting--sitting on the dock of this tranquil little island in the middle of all the hubbub.

When I read this, I was thinking "What the heck is this??? Possible I've been missing out on this because I never go over to Tom Sawyer's Island??". I looked it up and saw that 10 years or so ago they just started doing dessert. Couldn't tell from the article I read if the place is still there or gone altogether now. Sounds like it was great in its hayday!

When I read this, I was thinking "What the heck is this??? Possible I've been missing out on this because I never go over to Tom Sawyer's Island??". I looked it up and couldn't find it, so now I'm guessing this doesn't exist anymore?

Correct. Aunt Polly's just has vending machines now.
It was great when you could get a sandwich and sit on the porch in a rocking chair and chill. Long gone!!!

The Sushi at California Grill in 2007

Yellowtail Tuna Three Ways
DSC05928.jpg

DSC05929.jpg

DSC05931.jpg

Spicy Kazan Roll & Dragon Roll
DSC05932.jpg

DSC05935.jpg

This was our first time eating at CG and we were celebrating my 40th birthday.

The noodles at Ohana. Lamb platter at Tangerine Cafe. And the topping on the fish at The Garden Grill.

I have two, my sweet and savory.

The Napoleon at the former Boulangerie Patisserie. YUM!

and the Poutine fries at Le Cellier, love on a plate :lovestruc

When I read this, I was thinking "What the heck is this??? Possible I've been missing out on this because I never go over to Tom Sawyer's Island??". I looked it up and saw that 10 years or so ago they just started doing dessert. Couldn't tell from the article I read if the place is still there or gone altogether now. Sounds like it was great in its hayday!

It was a long time ago...15 years? January of 1998. I think by the next visit, they had changed to just soft serve and the visit after that was just a couple of rocking chairs next to a soda machine. Sad.

(And, wowsers, does that make me feel old...."Back in my day, they served cold fried chicken picnics on the dock at Tom Sawyer Island for a buffalo nickel!")

(And, wowsers, does that make me feel old...."Back in my day, they served cold fried chicken picnics on the dock at Tom Sawyer Island for a buffalo nickel!")

:rotfl2: So cute! Thanks for reminiscing, it does sound really neat. I love cold chicken on a picnic and I saw a picture of the place on google, I would have loved to try that. Well, onward and upward! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter