The best thing I ever ate... WDW style!

In 2008, I ate the best things I've ever eaten at WDW, &, in our visits since, I've yet to top 2008. I have pics which are on our external drive, & I'm not sure how to access them. LOL!

Anyway, so far, the best things I've ever eaten at WDW -

Appetizer - the Goat Cheese Ravioli Appetizer - California Grill - OMG!!! I still think about this dish!

Entrée - the Filet Mignon w/ Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes - Le Cellier - The next time I had it in 2011, it wasn't as good; whereas, in 2008, the filet was fork tender & perfectly cooked & the truffle sauce... just absolute decadence.

Dessert - the Chocolate Wave - Coral Reef - This was back when it was made w/ the rum-soaked cherries - it's changed now, &, again, not as good as it was, in my opinion... on that day, the server presented it to me w/ a flourish & even made the first cut into the soufflé so the molten chocolate could spill out...

And the winner of the 3 above dishes for my absolute most favorite thing I've ever eaten at WDW - the Goat Cheese Ravioli Appetizer from California Grill!

Last trip (9/2012), the best thing I ate was the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake from Liberty Tree Tavern -

image_zpsb9a5af24.jpg

Hajiki Crusted Ahi Tuna at Hollywood Brown Derby

Not just the best thing I ever had at WDW, but the best thing I have ever had ANYWHERE. Period! Sadly, this dish was removed from the menu in early 2010.

We actually made an ADR for our last night at like 9:30 and were planning to do that, sadly it didn't work out because we were traveling with extended family for a Grand Gathering, but DO IT, I plan to on our next trip!

Okay, you talked me into it. California Grill is officially on my list! I totally just did a little dance through my apartment because I got so happy about Valrhona. :rotfl:

I'm going to be lame and say a dole whip float! But I'm trying a couple of signatures on my next trip and am looking forward to tasting many new and exciting things that I'm assuming will be incredible :)

I haven't been many places and am unable to post a photo, but probably the soft-shell crab entree at the California Grill!

I imagine that will change in a bit though (two days till I go back, yay!).

Ok....my newest, most favorite thing is one that I did not take a picture of...because I was too busy eating it!!!

The fried chicken at 50's PT is perfection!! :cloud9:
Hot crunchy exterior, tender delicious inside....OMG!!!!

I was a DHS restaurant hater until this meal crossed my lips....AH-MAZING....greasy hands and all. :rotfl:

I have read reviews where folks have been disappointed in the onion soup at BoG. It is vegatarian, so a vegtable based broth, not a beef based broth.

DH & I just had the french onion soup at BOG and it was so delicious! If it was vegetarian, it sure had us fooled - we would have never suspected because it sure tasted like beef broth. Yummy :thumbsup2

DH and I were chatting about this and we both agreed on these two:

The Chicken & Corn Chowder at Boma. Until the first moment we laid lips on that amazing stuff we always thought of soup as kind of meh...as a place holder while you waited for the REAL part of the meal. But holy heck that first taste made us total believers in the power of soup. I wish I could crawl into the pot and live there!

The other dish is the Cheese Spaetzel and the meatballs in gravy at the Beirgarten. I was so skeptical about this whole restaurant...I was under the impression (after a very unfortunate saurbraten related incident at a local German place) that I HATED German food. One mouthful of that spaetzel...or as I like to think of it, cheesy German crack...and I was hooked. Like a gastronomical epiphany!

Of all the many and varied and AMAZING meals we've had at WDW, those two dishes are the ones that I remember in full vivid color. Steaks are steaks and burgers are burgers. Even the supremely good ones just run together in my mind, not particularly standing out. But these two dishes were unique with flavors I never expected.

Tortino Di Zucchine at Tutto Italia. It's like eggplant parmigiana but with zucchini instead of eggplant. Absolute genius and so delicious! I would love it if they offered it in an entree portion; as an appetizer portion just isn't enough. I remember being disappointed by my entree because I wanted to be eating more tortino di zucchine lol

Absolutely by far the most luscious thing ever! It's a shame we're on a budget for our next trip, otherwise CG would be on the tip-top of my to-do list just for that cake. Hmm.. I wonder what they'd think if we showed up just for dessert and a little champagne?

We go up and have drinks with either apps or dessert on almost every trip before going back to WL. Yes, you can absolutely go for dessert and champagne unless they are jammed. Just tell them at the desk that you want to go up for cocktails at the bar. :goodvibes

I'm going to be lame and say a dole whip float! But I'm trying a couple of signatures on my next trip and am looking forward to tasting many new and exciting things that I'm assuming will be incredible :)

No way, believe me that isn't lame at all. Last night when I created this thread, before I could even finish getting the title out of my mouth as I was telling my fiance about it, he was like "DOLEWHIP!!!" :rotfl2: He's a Dole whip fiend for sure.

Best thing I ever ate at WDW is the beef short ribs at Citrico's. Holy Oh-Em-Gee!!!!! They were phenomenal. :thumbsup2

The desserts we had there were also some of the best I've ever had but I have to agree with OP on the Valrhona Chocolate Cake at CG. The one at Citrico's paled so deeply in comparison!

Tough choices but that's my pick.

We go up and have drinks with either apps or dessert on almost every trip before going back to WL. Yes, you can absolutely go for dessert and champagne unless they are jammed. Just tell them at the desk that you want to go up for cocktails at the bar. :goodvibes

Oh, that's great! I thought I had read somewhere that not ordering full meals or at least an entree was frowned upon. :confused3 Sounded kinda silly to me.

Oh, that's great! I thought I had read somewhere that not ordering full meals or at least an entree was frowned upon. :confused3 Sounded kinda silly to me.

We had been told the same thing but we have done this the last 3 trips with no issues and an "of course you can" response at the desk. We do NOT do this on fireworks nights! It is insane up there and I would not disrespect the staff by adding extra confusion for them. We go later in the evening when the worst of the dinner rush is over....around 8ish......and there are not going to be many folks waiting at the bar for their seatings. They may change their policies with the renovations but we have had no problem and several of the folks up there actually remember us from previous visits. If you do happen to have dinner up there some time, ask to be seated at a table with Walter as your waiter. He is just incredible and we will be requesting him for our VR dinner this year!

We had been told the same thing but we have done this the last 3 trips with no issues and an "of course you can" response at the desk. We do NOT do this on fireworks nights! It is insane up there and I would not disrespect the staff by adding extra confusion for them. We go later in the evening when the worst of the dinner rush is over....around 8ish......and there are not going to be many folks waiting at the bar for their seatings. They may change their policies with the renovations but we have had no problem and several of the folks up there actually remember us from previous visits. If you do happen to have dinner up there some time, ask to be seated at a table with Walter as your waiter. He is just incredible and we will be requesting him for our VR dinner this year!

Awesome, thank you so much for the advice! I'll talk with my fiance and we'll figure up which night would be best to do this on. :thumbsup2

Dessert - the Chocolate Wave - Coral Reef - This was back when it was made w/ the rum-soaked cherries - it's changed now, &, again, not as good as it was, in my opinion... on that day, the server presented it to me w/ a flourish & even made the first cut into the soufflé so the molten chocolate could spill out...
We had heard wonderful things about this dessert, but when we tried it in February we weren't very impressed. :sad2:

So many things that I love. Onion soup and braised ribs at Chefs. The pizza at VN. The canneloni at TG. Nachos from Trex, RFC and Big river. Also from River Roost. Even right down to the frank in Germany. So many good things! But the best thing I have ever eaten? I can't really think of anything. The closest would be the zepolle from VN or the creme brulee from Chefs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter