• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Bahamian Rum Runners! May 18, 2012 - 5 Nights on the Magic!

Hey everyone! We'll be joining you also. Was hoping to book on the dream but didn't realize that it would be sold out for DVC members a year ahead of time. Planning fail eh? Oh well, we are still very excited as we have never been on the Magic before. We sailed the Wonder for our honeymoon and our 2 year anniversary. It will be myself (Shannon), my Husband (Candido - goes by Candi) and our Son (Candido - I call him James and my DH calls him Cinco). My parents will be joining us as well - Ken and Mary. Our son will be 16 months at the time of the cruise. Please, please, please tell us we're not crazy ... seriously, just lie to us :laughing:

Hi Becky, I know you and your family are going to have a great time! We took our daughter on her Disney Cruise when she was 6 and we had such a great time. Out of curiosity where are you from in Missouri, we're from around the Springfield area. - Tammy

So sorry for the delayed response, Tammy. I should be checking in more often! We are looking SO forward to our first cruise together, and I am thrilled to hear that your little one had a good time at 6. We were a little reluctant at first, but everyone we talk to has nothing but amazing things to say. We're just a bit west of St. Louis.

Hooray! More people since last time I was on here! Welcome all and so thrilled to be cruising with you. Shannon, you can't possibly be crazy! Besides, grandma and grandpa will be with you :). Congratulations on your sweet baby boy and all of the amazing memories to be made together.
-Becky

[Haha you're not crazy, ariel! I'm sure it'll be an adventure traveling with a little one, but probaby not worse than me travelling with my in-laws! :rolleyes1

10 MONTHS EVERYONE, WOOHOO!!! :sail:

So I'm bored and I'm avoiding cleaning my house, so I decided to do a tally of us so far:

trinaweena
Trina
her b/f
b/f's family
occasion: 1st cruise!​

Prozac07
(k+j room 7066)
Kristin
hubby Jason
occasion: 1st cruise, 1st wedding anniversary!
Sue (Jason's mom)
Ed (Jason's dad)
Stacey (Jason's sis)
Carolyn (Jason's grandma)​

kymickeyfan717 (room 2068)
Kathy W
occasion: solo vacation!​

wifeofgrumpy
Tammy
hubby
DD Hunter (16 y.o.)​

lydibugmom
Becky
hubby
DD (4 y.o.)
occasion: 7th wedding anniversary!​

Taylorsdad
him
wife
DD (14)
mom- and dad-in-law
bro- and sis-in-law​

BabyBun
her
hubby
DD (16-17 y.o.)
occasion: DD's 17th birthday!​

ariel1025

Shannon
hubby Candido (a.k.a. Candi)
DS Candido (a.k.a. James/Cinco) (16 months)
Ken (Shannon's dad)
Mary (Shannon's mom)​

ok, let's go! :beach:

Hiya pals! Add us to the list! :) This will be our very first cruise and we are super excited!!! We've been wanting to cruise and/or go to Disney World, and we couldn't decide which one, so we figured why not try a Disney cruise! :) Since it's our very first cruise, we'll need all the advice and help we can get! I saw the thread for the FE's and all of the door decorations... I can't wait to figure out what I'm going to do for our door/etc.

We don't have any kiddos, so it will just be my hubby (Danny) and I (Beth). We are from Arkansas, and travel up to Branson all the time (I consider that my home away from home!) and sometimes travel up to Springfield, so we're not too far from some of ya'll!!

I know it's a bit early, but I've already started my packing list! :goofy:

Hiya pals! Add us to the list! :) This will be our very first cruise and we are super excited!!! We've been wanting to cruise and/or go to Disney World, and we couldn't decide which one, so we figured why not try a Disney cruise! :) Since it's our very first cruise, we'll need all the advice and help we can get! I saw the thread for the FE's and all of the door decorations... I can't wait to figure out what I'm going to do for our door/etc.

We don't have any kiddos, so it will just be my hubby (Danny) and I (Beth). We are from Arkansas, and travel up to Branson all the time (I consider that my home away from home!) and sometimes travel up to Springfield, so we're not too far from some of ya'll!!

I know it's a bit early, but I've already started my packing list! :goofy:

Hi Beth, we're pratically neighbors. Actually we're in Branson quite a bit, trying to decide if I want to go this week-end to look for my daughters school clothes. We have Silver Dollar City passes so we go there quite often. You're going to love the Disney Cruise. Our first cruise was on another brand and I despised it, actually tried to get my husband to let me fly home from San Juan:) Since then we tried Disney and we love it:worship: I can actually see my husband and I cruising on Disney even when our daughter leaves home.

how funny, we're hoping to go there next week! :)

we have looked up and called and researched soooooo many cruise lines.. everyone says start out with the cruise line that has a name similar to a fair, but then i've also heard it's just a party ship, and even though my DH and I are "young" (or at least we like to think so) we don't do all that... corny, maybe, but we just don't! :) Plus I'm obsessed with Toy Story (although the woman on DCL told me this ship doesn't really offer anything pertaining to that) so I figured it would be a great start and hopefully we can try some of the other ships within DCL later.

So, is everyone driving or flying, or what?

We decided to drive (and are considering renting a car since it's quite a drive) curious to know any tips/advice ya'll have for drivers from my neck of the woods :) :grouphug:

Another question (geez i'm full of them!! :) ) what kind of rooms did everyone get? We had a hard time deciding what kind to get.. we are the type of people who go somewhere and only use their room to sleep in, so we figured that an inside cabin would be just fine (or at least we're hoping) So with that said, I've got a dumb ? ... do they have the fish things to be able to exchange FE gifts? I've seen some pictures of doors that didn't seem to have one (or maybe just the picture didn't catch it) but I was hoping someone could enlighten me... I've already began thinking of FE gifts, and don't want to get all excited if I can't even participate with my own FE! lol :)

how funny, we're hoping to go there next week! :)

we have looked up and called and researched soooooo many cruise lines.. everyone says start out with the cruise line that has a name similar to a fair, but then i've also heard it's just a party ship, and even though my DH and I are "young" (or at least we like to think so) we don't do all that... corny, maybe, but we just don't! :) Plus I'm obsessed with Toy Story (although the woman on DCL told me this ship doesn't really offer anything pertaining to that) so I figured it would be a great start and hopefully we can try some of the other ships within DCL later.

So, is everyone driving or flying, or what?

We decided to drive (and are considering renting a car since it's quite a drive) curious to know any tips/advice ya'll have for drivers from my neck of the woods :) :grouphug:

Another question (geez i'm full of them!! :) ) what kind of rooms did everyone get? We had a hard time deciding what kind to get.. we are the type of people who go somewhere and only use their room to sleep in, so we figured that an inside cabin would be just fine (or at least we're hoping) So with that said, I've got a dumb ? ... do they have the fish things to be able to exchange FE gifts? I've seen some pictures of doors that didn't seem to have one (or maybe just the picture didn't catch it) but I was hoping someone could enlighten me... I've already began thinking of FE gifts, and don't want to get all excited if I can't even participate with my own FE! lol :)

In regards to the cruise that sounds similar to a fair, that happens to be the one I was on when I wanted to get off. We were fairly young when we went on it and yes I believe its a party ship. We even got held up at one of the ports because someone got so drunk they passed out in the hot tub and their friends were too drunk to help. My husband actually went for help.

We are also going to be driving this time. We sometimes fly, but this time we're going to drive because after the cruise we plan on spending a few days at Disney World and would end up taking so many suitcases. With all the restrictions on luggage, I personally think its less of a hassle, that and my husband hates flying:) I don't know exactly where you're located in Arkansas, but leaving from around the Springfield Missouri area, its really not too bad of drive.

This time we did get a room with a window (category 9), we used to always get the inside cabins but since our daughter is getting older and bigger we need a little more room. My husband and I actually really like the inside cabins, if you're like us you won't spend much time in the room, and they are really nice for some good sleeping.

Can't help you with the Fish thingy, have never done it. Do always decorate my door. I usually design things on the magnet paper, and then go to Home Depot and take (borrow:) some of the Mickey Mouse Head paint chips and peel them off the backing and add magnets. Actually I've already visited Home Depot for this trip.

Have fun at Branson next week, we're actually going to head down tomorrow. Tax Free shopping this week-end for school clothes.

Can I join?

We aren't officially on it yet - won't be until next month when we scrape enough together for the deposit. Kinda hard to put it down right now with college tuition and books due for our two DDs.

We are in the midst of deciding if we want to go for a one bedroom suite or get two deluxe veranda staterooms. Leaning more towards the two rooms simply because of cost (again that college tuition is always staring me in the face).

It will be our second cruise on the Magic - 6 years between them.

I haven't even introduced myself yet - how rude. LOL

I am Jennifer - 40 something photographer, wife to Ian (engineering manager and saint to put up with 3 women all the time, and also a student working on his PhD in business management), Mom to Kylie (23 at cruise time, in college studying to be a special education elementary teacher) and Emily (19 at cruise time, starting her first year of college in a few weeks, as of now majoring in dance) .

While our 25th wedding anniversary is officially this coming December we are going to be celebrating on the cruise.

We live in a suburb of Dallas. A very quiet, kinda shy -although a lot of people have a hard time believing that - but it is true, laid back family.

I don't really remember much about our sailing on the Magic before. I kid you not - right in the middle of our sail away party I started sneezing. What I thought at the time was just allergies turned out to be a nasty headcold. :sick: So the entire 7 night western is nothing but a foggy cold med induced blur of a memory.

We were really torn between this and a 5 night on the Dream. The more affordable rate and the fact that this cruise stops at Key West instead of two stops at Castaway Cay is what pulled us away from the Dream. I like Castaway Cay but not enough to spend two full days there - especially since we are doing 5-7 nights at Vero right after the cruise.

So... God willing everything will come together and by this time next month we will OFFICALLY be joining you all on the Magic! :thumbsup2

I just booked this cruise while cruising on the Dream on the 8/2 5 night double-dip (that was turned into a single dip by Emily).....

Anyway - here we are! Stateroom 7526

DH Jon
DW Melissa (Me)
DD Taylor 18 (19 when we cruise)
DD Mackenzie 9 (10 when we cruise).

Whoopie - ANOTHER cruise to plan.

I LOVE Decorating door and Fish Extenders. Mark me down!

Yay! Welcome to both of ya'll!! :) I'm a newbie, but love the idea of door decorating and fish extenders! ;)

We just got back from Branson earlier today, and have already bought the dresses for the cruise and my DH's new dinner jacket. People were asking us when was our cruise.. and then they looked at us like we were crazy for shopping so early... but we are so excited and we talk about it like it's happening next week... does anybody else do this, or are we just looney? :banana:

Hi DVC and JMT, welcome aboard! P.S. JMT my hubby and I are from Pittsburgh (originally) too, and his family coming with us is from Johnstown. Needless to say there's gonna be a lot of us yinzers on board!

We just got back from Branson earlier today, and have already bought the dresses for the cruise and my DH's new dinner jacket. People were asking us when was our cruise.. and then they looked at us like we were crazy for shopping so early... but we are so excited and we talk about it like it's happening next week... does anybody else do this, or are we just looney? :banana:

That's not crazy! You know how many times I've sat in my closet just thinking of what to wear for formal night and what I could put together for pirate night? I already have a tote full of crap in my office for the trip... including gifts for my mom-, dad-, sis-, and grandma-in-law since we're surprising them with the trip for Christmas. It's never to early to get excited for Disney! :goodvibes

Good to know I'm not the only one like this :banana: Now that we've almost completed formal night, I've got to work on pirate night.. how far do people go with their pirate wear? pirate: I'm totally blank on this one!!

I've also got a bag of goodies started for FE gifts lol :woohoo: but i'm no where near done on that also.

:cheer2:

I am soooooo excited! I didn't tell very many people because I didn't want to jinx anything but our youngest DD auditioned for the dance company at her college on Friday. She just got a text from the director of dance telling her congratulations you made the dance ensemble!

She has a meeting on Thursday to get the schedule for the next year. So right now we are kind of up in the air as to whether she will be clear to go on the cruise on May 18th. She should be since her last class ends a week earlier - but ya never know... and we aren't going without her.

So everyone keep your fingers crossed that the dance company schedule doesn't conflict.

OMGOSH - I am soooooo proud of and excited for her. 15 years of dance classes. Thousands and thousands of dollars for tuition, leotards, shoes, tights, costumes, competition fees and it has all paid off! :D :D :D :D

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Aw congratulations!! Hopefully the schedule will work out perfectly and you guys can share pictures of the dance class with everyone! :) :cheer2:

Aw congratulations!! Hopefully the schedule will work out perfectly and you guys can share pictures of the dance class with everyone! :) :cheer2:

Thanks. :) I really hope so too. She has been on several competition dance teams before - but this is her first official dance (performing) company she has been a part of.

Been quite a week for us so for and today is ONLY Monday. Yesterday we find out about her being accepted onto the dance company, today we made our :banana:LAST:banana: payment to DVC and Wednesday is DH's birthday!

Now we just need Sept 10th to get here so I can call and put a deposit down on the cruise.

How did everyone else book? TA or direct through Disney yourself? When we cruised last time we went through a TA, but it was so long ago I can't remember who we used.

OMGOSH - I am soooooo proud of and excited for her. 15 years of dance classes. Thousands and thousands of dollars for tuition, leotards, shoes, tights, costumes, competition fees and it has all paid off! :D :D :D :D

Congratulations! I have such admiration for dancers and all the work they put into what they love (and what their parents have to go through too!)

Congratulations! I have such admiration for dancers and all the work they put into what they love (and what their parents have to go through too!)

Thank you. I will pass the congrats on to her.

Hi Everyone! Another 1st time cruiser here :banana: I booked yesterday. Was a bit nervous because I had read how some cruises are booked over a year out. Happy yesterday when our booking went through!

My DH and I will be celebrating our 24th anniversary in June so what better gift than a cruise right?!? Oh yeah...and the kids are joining us too :yay:

My DD is starting her sophomore year in college and will be 20 on this trip. I'm a little concerned (and she is too) that she will be stuck with "the rents" since she's too old for the teen club and thinking she will be bored with the adults. After reading some of the reports on here I'm feeling better that she will definately find stuff to do!!

My DS (15) will be a freshman in high school this year. He is "totally psyched" that he has the teen place to go and said he will "see us at dinner"! Plus, he is happy he has an area that his sister won't go too :lmao:

We joined DVC in 2007 and were going at least once (sometimes twice) a year since then. Since DD went to college last year we were unable to squeeze in a trip (she is a basketball player and that left little time off). We start this trip on her last official day of school...and before summer gets going.

The plan is to fly down the night before we cruise. Not sure where we are staying yet. I've had a few people tell me to look into staying at the airport rather than going to a resort. I was thinking about going to one of the All-stars since it's just one night (any suggestions??). After the cruise we are staying 2 nights at Port Orleans Riverside. We use to stay here before DVC and enjoyed it. We are not doing the parks this trips...just using the couple of days to relax before heading home.

Our "home" at sea is on the 7th floor with an Oceanview stateroom. Again, advice I got was you won't be in the room except to sleep so don't worry about the verandah. I think if we went without the kids I would definately go for the balcony (maybe the next cruise!). We are toward the front of the boat....not sure if that's good or not :scratchin

I'm looking forward to getting 1st timer advice from everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter